Need a new PC - where to start

My laptop is getting a bit old now and it's finally starting to slow down. I'd like to buy a PC that can run emulators and a few new games at medium settings, but I don't know where to start because every pre-built PC I see seems to be either budget (and consequently has shitty specs) or very expensive. Can you guys give me some pointers/tips?

Attached: pc.jpg (958x1437, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AFv7rRYcEf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/Mg3J7T
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Set a budget you want to spend
Assuming you want a gaming pc, allocate more money towards a GPU than the CPU.
Use logicalincrements.com/ as well

get $1000

cpu
video card
motherboard
ram
power supply
case

put it together

My budget is around $900, is that enough?

Also thanks for the website recommendation, I'd only heard of pcpartpicker before that.

Just buy a prebuilt it's only like $200 more and it will save you the hundreds of hours of watching shitty tech videos and browsing through newegg.

What emulators? I have a 1060 6GB and an i7 3770K. I can emulate most PS2 games perfectly. PS3 is just getting started but I haven't tried yet, probably too far behind. XBOX/360 is non-existent. Wii emulation is great but not for the motion controls. Wii U I couldn't run BotW or Bayo 2 but this was a year or two ago, so maybe its improved.

As for games, I can play most new games at medium at least. Only very recently have I seen my 3770K be the minimum CPU and 1060 is recommended.

So if you want a mid range PC, a 1060 is pretty solid.

Don't buy pre-built, they always cut corners on cooling or power supplies (cheap chinese brand crap that break within a year, and if your power supply is faulty your entire computer can turn into worthless scrap really quickly) and you cant repair them yourself because that breaks whatever warranty you may have

Contrary to what some autists may tell you, some prebuilts are getting really good for the price. I'd recommend waiting for a good deal on one of them, but they're usually riced the fuck out and you don't need all that for emulation/medium settings

>tfw going to buy all the parts and have someone build it for me

not fucking up my entire build again by connecting a faulty PSU and blasting every single component

If your budget is $900 then wait for next year, if you wanna build a decent rig right now then i'd suggest $1200+ at least.

I'll consider it, but I thought building the PC was part of the fun.
Not sure, but I'd like to emulate some PS2 stuff like Battlefront 2, maybe GameCube and/or N64 too. I need to do more research on the different kinds of emulators.

Alright, I'll hold off on it until I save more. Thanks for the advice

I have $2k to spend on my computer and I'm too fucking lazy to build it myself this time (I've built the last 4 I used over like 10 years and something always happens to them).

I have basically what I want picked out already, but I haven't been up on what's good and what's not good with all the new shit. Is Intel still better than AMD, in CPU and GPU? AMD is cheaper but I don't know how they stack up anymore.

Also are AIOs still shit?

If you're only doing those consoles than you don't need to spend much. My CPU and GPU do the job plenty with PCSX2, Dolphin (Gamecube and Wii) and Project64. But why Battlefront 2 on PS2? Its got a PC version.

Oh duh, sorry I forgot there's a PC version. I need some sleep lol

Intel is only better at the high end now (9700K and 9900K), AMD is much better for midrange builds.
If your budget is 2K then i'd a 9700K would be a good purchase.
For GPUs, AMD also has some decent offerings that undercut Nvidia a bit, but their drivers and support for indies/emulators/old games/etc. is still kinda ass, so i'd generally say that going Nvidia is still usually the superior route for GPUs unless you really wanna save money.

AIOs are okay but overpriced and unnecessary, a top tier air cooler from Be Quiet! or Noctua is on par with any AIO, so it's mostly an aesthetic choice.

On that note, the most cost-effective beefman GPU right now seems to be the 2070 Super. Is there any reason to drop the extra cash on a 2080, considering a 2080ti is way out of the price range?

Nahhh not really, if you buy a good 2070 Super model, it'll basically be able to reach 2080 performance anyway.
Absolutely not worth the extra ~$150.

how would a 2070 Super fare for 1080p 60fps high/ultra for all of the next-gen games? with a 3600

A 2070 Super will honestly demolish any game. The only reason you'd need more power would be if you're trying to 4K VR or something.

Not him but that card should be good for a very long time at your desired settings, even at 1440p it should give you 60 fps for quite a while.
Maybe near the very end of the next gen you might have to go down from Ultra every now and then, but that's about it.

What's the deal with this case? Why is the entire front covered? There's room for 3 fans there. Why would you do that?

why don't millenials have these?

Attached: 1569285005527.jpg (768x512, 16K)

I don't know, I just needed a picture to upload the thread so I searched "gaming pc" and that was the first result. I've seen better cases

>My budget is around $900
If that's a firm budget, then aim for $800 because there's always something miscellaneous on the side you end up needing to buy that was left off your projections.

Just listen to chad deals.
youtube.com/watch?v=AFv7rRYcEf8

Good point, I'll keep that in mind.

>one persons comment
>oh wow, guess thats it
retard. 900$ is fine. get a 5700, a ryzen 5 and 16gb ram. done.

Barely anyone buys physical media which makes for a dvd/blu-ray player useless.

>pairing a 3600 with an X570 board
Brainlet move, why would you buy a budget CPU with a mid-high end board?
3600 users should either get a B450 MSI MAX board, see if any place where they live offers flashing other B450 boards or go with either a cheaper Intel or last gen Ryzen.

You can get a x570 for like $150 but he says right in the video you can flash a b450 if you really want to. Did you even watch it?

something like this you fucking bender
pcpartpicker.com/list/Mg3J7T
if you need a monitor, then either get a ryzen 1600 instead, and go for a 1660ti instead if you need. Don't buy windows too, if you do, you're a fucking moron. Add your own cheap case too.

Nah i just looked at the thumbnail desu.

Intel Core i5-9400, 6x 2.90GHz
Gigabyte B365M DS3H
Kingston HyperX Fury schwarz DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2666, CL16-18-18
Kingston A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD 500GB, M.2 (SA2000M8/500G)
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Windforce OC 6G [Rev. 2.0]
be quiet! System Power B9 600W

PC case of your choice. Personally I like it simple like Cooler Master NR400 or Q500L for example.

Attached: 1at1KVJ.jpg (612x540, 63K)

With this setup you're looking at 800-900 Eurobucks.

Attached: 02.jpg (466x800, 28K)

>Intel
>Choosing a more expensive, 2060, over the superior but cheaper 5700
>2666 RAM
>600w PSU for no reason
this is awful user

>5700
>"superior"
In on-paper performance of popular games yes, but try emulating anything on it, try playing games that aren't multi plat / AAA.
I do agree on the Intel point though, a 2600X or 3600 would be a better budget choice, maybe going with a 2600X + 2060 Super might be the best option.

>this is awful user
Not a fan of ATI. Had terrible experiences, both with the hardware and even more so with the drivers.
Kinda right on PSU. I'd buy a 500W one for myself, but I just wanted to make sure OP will have enough juice should he ever decide to add more components.
The motherboard doesn't support more than 2666Mhz so I rolled with that. Feel free to suggest something else, but be specific at least so OP doesn't buy any random mobos of your suggested manufacturer.

5700 will be the superior card as drivers release. It's much cheaper, and better future proofing. But eh, whatever. As long as there's not Intel faggotry involved.

A MSIB350M will do fine, with 3200mzh ram. Then a Ryzen 2400g or 1600 will do.
And then if he want's 1440p or very high 1080 then a 5700. If not, 1660ti. If he spends money on windows, I hope he necks himself.

Going to build my first computer here soon, am I fine with just using an anti-static mat or should I use something else?

Nah, you're fine. Maybe get an anti-static wrist band to ground yourself if you really want to.

You don't need anti-static anything, that's a long dead meme. There are videos of people building components directly on carpet and nothing bad happening.

That $200 could go back into the machine though. Every PC I've built has only taken 2-4 hours and I'm stupid as fuck. Didn't look at tech videos or anything. Shit just fits together like legos. Done it 5 times now. I believe in you OP!

Literally no need.