Neverwinter Nights 2 was the first cRPG I ever played, and I loved it...

Neverwinter Nights 2 was the first cRPG I ever played, and I loved it. I've played almost every game in the genre to come out since then.

However, I've never gone back and played games from BEFORE NWN2. That means I've never touched what are widely regarded as genre-defining games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

With the announcement of BG3, I think now is a good time to start catching up on the story of the franchise, but I'm worried that because of how old the games are I simply won't enjoy them, having been raised on 2nd gen cRPGs and beyond.

What does Yea Forums think, is there anyone like me whose gone back and played these classic titles for the first time recently? Did you have fun or were you bored out of your mind?

Attached: 61WW8215QHL.jpg (423x500, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43074/mod-disable-enhanced-edition-npcs-for-bg-ee-amp-bg2-ee
torment.fandom.com/wiki/Mods_and_Tweaks_(PS:T)
warosu.org/vr/thread/5402232#p5408278
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck that shit, play Fallout instead.

Just wait for BG3.

Even better, play Fallout 3 and 4 instead.

I like Planescape: Torment a lot. Icewind Dale is good as well. Haven't played Baldur's Gate yet, but...
forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43074/mod-disable-enhanced-edition-npcs-for-bg-ee-amp-bg2-ee

Give ME Jaheira mommy wife!

Attached: Sequel Jaheira.png (210x330, 136K)

I had similar experience, but I started with the first NWN. BG saga is a must-play, icewind dale is good too, planescape is mostly a story.

Planescape has held up fantastically because the strength of the writing is timeless, and combat or whatever was never the focus. The EE is good but use this guide also torment.fandom.com/wiki/Mods_and_Tweaks_(PS:T)

Icewind Dale is literally just a shitty Dungeon Romp imo, unless you really love RTwP combat avoid it and play Diablo instead

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are solidely OKAY, worth playing and easy enough to get into, but also kinda, I don't know how to describe it, kinda meh. I guess I really just don't like RTwP.

Do what this guy said though , Fallout 1 and 2 are the GOAT WRPGs, literally timeless and eternally fantastic.

>NWN2
>cRPG

what

Beamdog is guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

6. warosu.org/vr/thread/5402232#p5408278

Attached: Beamniggers.png (661x245, 39K)

Try Betrayal at Krondor

shitspam copypasta poster

Based autists

I too started with NWN2, user.
I'd suggest you play the first game, then IDW2 and 1 than the BGs.
Also, play Dragon Age Origins and Pathfinder Kingmaker.

Incredibly based.
A service to us all.

Thanks for your service.

Thank YOU user! You ARE a GOOD user! I DO play Enhanced Edition BECAUSE it IS easier FOR me user BECAUSE I AM younger user anon BUT it IS okay user BECAUSE I DO have MODERN potato user AND it IS easier user BUT you ARE a GOOD user anon AND I do NOT want Siege of Dragonspear user BECAUSE it DOES have BAD wifes user BUT Siege of Dragonspear IS okay user BECAUSE you CAN have MORE Jaheira mommy wife AND you CAN have MORE anticipation FOR stealing Jaheira mommy wife WITH wife scholar penis user! (You can! You can!)

Attached: Cute Jaheira.jpg (210x330, 27K)

>cRPG
it wasn't a fucking crpg you sperg, it was a mmo. That is literally the only reason you like it, because of the online servers.

>this guy

What!

based waifu autist

>BG1
Had fun with it especially with how wide open it is, and enjoyed the character progression. Mechanically it was smooth but maybe a bit slow until spells to speed up exploration are found.

>BG2
Felt a bit on rails, higher level buffstacking was a bit of a chore.

Both finished recently, were fun for the core gameplay, but BG2 less so for listed reasons.

You try Icewind Dale?

Give ME Accalia wife!

Attached: Accalia.png (300x185, 72K)

>I haven't played the game but I allow shitposting to shape my opinions

1 is bland, 2 is pretty good.

Yes, it's a Role-Playing Game only ever released on Computer.

I was just letting him know the option was there. I wasn't telling you to use it.

Attached: whiners not allowed.jpg (2388x914, 548K)

Jesus christ, the poor fuck actually bought the collectors edition as well

Attached: 1564569586997.png (448x384, 237K)

Do NOT worry user it IS okay user BECAUSE I HAVE been banned MULTIPLE times user SO I DO wait UNTIL it IS over user AND it IS okay user SO do NOT worry user! (Do not! Do not!)

>they are still selling the "limited" collector edition 3 1/2 years later

Attached: 1559526881439.png (637x778, 240K)

No!

bruh

hurry up!

Attached: 1569274953523.jpg (1099x349, 62K)

Attached: i'll pass.jpg (844x507, 117K)

No!

Careful... you don't want to be banned, do you? Searching for images now I remember the beamniggers defense during SoD launch "you can see how the complains about the Siege of Dragonspear are not by real baldur's gate fans, all accounts are new".

Attached: 1469243231086.jpg (1420x885, 312K)

Jesus.

There are 3 autists I expect in every w/cRPG thread.
and the guy who posts Pierce Brosnan

BG2 is my first cRPG and I was blown away.
IWD1 is fun but it's more action-oriented
Fallout 2 is another amazing game, but very different from BG2.
Arcanum is amazing, but only if you can appreciate the jank.

BG1 is sparse and empty for 80% of it's maps and the title city is locked for 40 hours until you reach Chapter 5. Don't bother and go straight to 2, to be honest.

(Sidenote: I just finished 1 today and started the DLC Beamdog did and feel burned out on it. I really hope 2 is better, but the DLC so far isn't TERRIBLE but not good either)

>and the guy who posts Pierce Brosnan
Same person

Attached: download.jpg (345x146, 6K)

I once wanted to buy PST collector's edition

Attached: PTID-CollectorsPack_1500x1500.jpg (1500x844, 169K)

Nice. If those are still available you should do it. But remember, beamdog doesn't owe you anything so you should fuck yourself.

Attached: no.jpg (1077x1041, 187K)