Why wasn't this nowhere near as iconic or memorable as 64, galaxy or even sunshine. What went so horribly wrong?

Why wasn't this nowhere near as iconic or memorable as 64, galaxy or even sunshine. What went so horribly wrong?

Attached: 91JZdTYcjFL._SL1500_.jpg (926x1500, 322K)

The gimmick was underwhelming.

Ur a faget

It was, you are just blinded by nostalgia.

Almost as good as 64 maybe even as good or even better in some instances.

It didn't have a main theme. Same reason 3D World isn't remembered.

64 had the castle and was the first one, Sunshine had the beach theme, Galaxy had the space theme.

I think the Cappy gimmick was pretty fun, but overall feel like the worlds and their stars need to be a bit more focused like 64, Galaxy, and Sunshine. Odyssey sequel to fix some of the issues and expand on the stuff you can do with Cappy a bit more would be great.

Attached: 1561315702469.png (434x351, 100K)

>Reduced star mission collecting to basically collecting moon shards like Banjo and Koozie
>Annoying gimmicks
>Disappointing final boss compared to Sunshine and Galaxy
>Never had a theme

Because you weren't a kid when you played it

Too open.

>not Ur Mr gay

Mainly the level design. What made 64 so iconic were the levels

Attached: c66582ba0f3d2d784411a73a52768fa0.jpg (800x579, 80K)

>sunshine
>memorable

It's not old enough for nostalgia.

People hated Sunshine when it released, and now it's beloved - I thought Odyssey was amazing, better than Galaxy or Galaxy 2 by a wide margin, and just slightly under 64.

It's a great game that will only be viewed more and more positively as time goes on

Attached: CyOLVDQWIAA7Sq2.jpg (861x614, 106K)

No hub world.

Attached: tumblr_log2fsbDtK1qaczz9o2_1280.jpg (856x615, 205K)

I still hate sunshine. There are so many broken and sadistic missions in it and the blue coins are shite.

100% because it removes the incentive of platforming.

Mario is a platforming game. This game has very little of it. Once you complete the "main story section" of each world, you no longer need to complete those platforming sections again. Even if there is another moon up there, you can just warp to it.

Then the majority of other moons were mundane tasks.

The moons that were great were in the warp pipes. Those sections were all platforming and spectacular. Those sections, and the sections of the main plot of each world, are the best in the whole fucking series. It's just that those moons comprise like 10% of all the moons you collect.

>no memorable hub world to explore like peachs castle, delfino plaza, or the observatory
>can be beaten in less than three hours
>main game not difficult in the slightest
>moons don’t feel as valuable since they’re literally everywhere
>some kingdoms are good, others just flat out suck.
At least those were my problems with the game, I still think it’s great, just nowhere near it’s predecessors.

Attached: 9A148ECB-0655-4B6D-B1D1-C5D43639C4D6.jpg (1009x749, 159K)

It gets better with each playthrough. It's the best 3D Mario game. One of the few games that feels "next-gen" by the way it plays. There's nothing like it.

Galaxy BTFO of the whole series. In what world is 64 better than Galaxy? And fine, even if you put 64 above Galaxy, how can you justify Odyssey above Galaxy as an entire package?

There was a moon theme and it was plastered everywhere you dolts

Nah, Cappy gimmick was the best part of the game, there's a reason why Odyssey has an insane number of speedrunners, it allows for so much freedom and level breaking

Because it was made for shit eaters with no standards, so perfect for Switch owners.

Odyssey's only real problem is some actions being tied to motion controls. Its movement is amazing and cappy only adds to it. Don't even try saying Sunshine and that shit gimmick that Fludd is are better than Odyssey.

Oh look, Eric is back. I guess you're done with the hourly BOTW topics and have moved onto Mario Odyssey.

The theme was traveling around the world.

It's the best 3D Mario and I hope we get a sequel.

It has multiple themes. hats, travelling, moons, marriage, Moon theming is the reason for the villains being rabbits, since they live on the moon like the moon rabbit.
But it is pretty mixed, so i see what you mean with no "main" theme

Not objectively true of course

It's funnily similar to BOTW, it was a bit unfocused. More moon variety, but less moons is similar to more shrine variety for less shrines

peak soul

>>Reduced star mission collecting to basically collecting moon shards like Banjo and Koozie
Just leave the level every time you get a moon and it becomes the same exact shit as previous mario games. There's like 5 times more shit to collect on odyssey and it would get stale real quick if you had to do nothing for minutes at a time between each one.

Because you're stupid. It doesn't come close to the first time playing Mario 64 back in the day but it's overall a better game than ANY Mario. Call me a zoomer, I'm turning 37 tomorrow. I grew up with Mario.

64 is overhyped nostalgia trash

>to Sunshine

oh yes, 5 ground pounds
what a fantastic final boss
kys

Sunshine had an awful last boss.

Nah, Mario Odyssey sucks shit. You just have bad taste.

too many moons, moons outta ass.

My only issue is I never really got invested enough into Odyssey to even bother with the post game. I enjoyed it but after the main stuff I was pretty much done.

Because Koizumi is a washed up hack. He peaked with Majora’s Mask.

>Sunshine
Sunshine had the second worst final boss of any 3D Mario; the worst being Galaxy 2.

>Kino
SM64
>Excellent celebration of Mario
Odyssey
>WTF are you doing? Do you think this is a game?
Sunshine
>Not good at 3D or 2D, a failure of a mix between the two.
Galaxy 1 and 2

sunshine is my favorite mario game but it's final boss is nothing to brag about

Unpopular opinion: Odyssey is great, 3D World was terrible, Galaxy was a major disappointment that was only partially rehabilitated by Galaxy 2.

Odyssey feels like a true successor to 64/Sunshine after many years.

You played this as an adult and not a little kid. Odyssey has all sorts of memorable moments like finding the secret 2nd part of Steam Gardens, going into the moon cavern, the ending, New Donk's finale, the giant fucking realistic dragon you fight out of nowhere in the middle of the game, going back to the mushroom kingdom from 64, and a bunch of other smaller stuff. Odyssey has more spectacle and surprise moments than any of the previous 3D Mario games. It's not the game's fault you've grown more cynical over the years.

I would've liked it if they split it into two kind of collectibles
I mean they basically did with triple moons, but it would've been nice if there were two "value" levels for regular moons to make a difference between a significant moon and some random moon under a box

How is that an unpopular opinion? Everyone had problems with 3D Land and World and everyone agrees that Odyssey is the true successor to 64 and Sunshine

You were old when you played it.

That opinion is not unpopular, most people agree that Odyssey is the true successor of 64 and even the best 3d Mario. It's only Yea Forums's Sunshinefags that dislike it.

Attached: 4366346347778.jpg (1462x2046, 213K)

>Everyone had problems with 3D Land and World
Like what?

I replayed every 3d Mario this past summer. The order was Galaxy 2, 1, Mario 3d land, Mario 3d World, 64 Ds, and Sunshine. Now I'm playing Odyssey on my new lite and I'm having a blast.
There are a ton of secrets, I want to get every moon and purple coin, unlike shitty blue coins in Sunshine. Platforming hasn't been difficult yet, but that was easy as fuck in galaxy and sunshine with water flying gimmick

>Ignores how intense and threatening the final boss was

Even if you had to ground pound few times to win, it's still a good boss battle. Especially how SM64 final boss only takes fucking 3 throws to win.

But oddessy final boss was a fucking joke, especially with bowser outfit.

ah yes how can one forget about giant Bowser in a giant pool of green jello

Reminder that Galaxy nearly had Mario with full voice acting (and also Peach, Bowser and Jr. like they already did in Sunshine) before Shiggy threw an sperg fit and made everyone permanently behave like an autistic 8yo spouting their names as one-liners

VA in Sunshine was dogshit

>intense and threatening
>sunshine's final boss

What the fuck am i reading? You walk in on Bowser masturbating in a bath tub made of kool aid, you play ring a round the rosie and its over.

Galaxy and Odyssey at least have climactic final boss battles.

This guy gets it

I thought it was really good, what are you talking about

You tried this thread yesterday, OP.

The world were short with shit themes also no good music

This.

Based shiggy fuck voiceovers.

64>G1>SS>>>OD>>G2

1. Odyssey

2. 64
3. Sunshine

4. 3D World
5. 3D Land

6. Galaxy
7. Galaxy 2

Attached: DOE0_a6VQAAy7ik.jpg (1200x675, 134K)

>no good music
>When Steam Gardens theme exists

i used to ruule the world

>galaxy 2
>failure of a game
Best/most fun Mario in terms of pure platforming and cut out the useless story for a better more streamlined game

Great game but is way to easy.

Attached: ECWySBdWsAAWKfD.jpg (411x291, 17K)

Do the GameCube zoomers on this board really not understand that no one gives a shit about Sunshine?

Collecting Stars doesn't feel rewarding when they just lay around everywhere, waiting to be picked up like literal blue coins.

Attached: 1514873619756.gif (360x360, 122K)

Kids who played it will wonder why the Mario games made when they are adults weren't as iconic as Odyssey.
In other words, it's all about nostalgia.

No it's really not.
The feedback loop in Odyssey sucks fucking ass. Just like with BotW, more != better.

What is the difference between putting blue coins in place of those moons and just having a single unified collectible?

Ultimately, even if those moons that are easy to get were changed to be another collectable, and there were only 8 actual moons or so, you're just going to convert that collectible into moons like how you converted blue coins into shine sprites.

It just removes a step.

It was just unfulfilling to me, it felt so meaningless and dull, as if I was playing another soulless open world sandbox but with mario grafix and gameplay.

Attached: 678996.jpg (700x988, 85K)

Finally, somebody gets it. Galaxy had the most impressive production values, but it didn't really feel like a Mario game.

This really. Most of the levels are annoying as hell

All 3D Mario gamea are underwhelming and only saved by nostalgia.
The Mario and Luigi RPGs are where it is at

fuck off zoomzoom

Odyssey was a fucking masterpiece. I straight up loved the game. I can’t wait until yuzu runs it well enough to put my Switch away

Better than the slow and floaty Galaxy games thats for sure.

Galaxy games are the worst 3D Mario games.

Am I missing out on anything by playing this in handheld mode instead of docked?

No, as long as you’re playing with detached joycons. You gotta have waggle controls readily available for maximum movement potential.

Not to mention the very tedious and unexciting lava boating section right beforehand

>never had a theme
You're not talking about theme music, I reckon...

This is actually the right answer.

Although I was 19 years old when I first played SMG and that's my favorite 3D Mario, but still.. everything was better when you were 12.

1. Sunshine
2. 64
3. Odyssey
4. 3D World
5. Galaxy
6. Galaxy 2

And somehow nobody really remembers it

There's like a couple moons where you must absolutely waggle to even get.

it was underutilized, it wasn't a banjo-kazooie transformation at all

Despite Mario's handling being the best it's ever been, I feel Odyssey lacks a lot of replay value. partially because the moons are so common as to feel worthless. What's the point of doing a challenging platforming challenge for a moon when you can get one just by ground-pounding a shiny spot in the middle of nowhere? The costumes were a lot of fun, but grinding coins just to have another postgame outfit to grind coins in just isn't my idea of a good time.

Also, while the capture system is a fun novelty, it also feels very limiting. The things that you capture tend to be one trick ponies that detract from how fluid and fun Mario's regular moveset is.This is probably more of a personal preference thing, but I'd have preferred a more traditional power-up system where you take this incredible Mario moveset and augment it with new moves that you have to play well and avoid damage to hang onto. (Also, I'd have preferred being able to ride Yoshi instead of capturing him. It just felt off to control him that way....)

it has much more freedom and better movement systems
nothing can mimic the series jump to 3D but it's as close as you can get to bringing the series forward
this isn't true, it still holds up even to this day>What's the point of doing a challenging platforming challenge for a moon when you can get one just by ground-pounding a shiny spot in the middle of nowhere?
to collect them all, sure the game shouldn't have moons just lying around but at the same time there's tons of content for extremely varied tasks

Man, I like Sunshine, and even I've gotta say the final boss was totally lame.

Attached: MFW Sunshine Final Boss.jpg (759x505, 52K)

Galaxy is the worst of the series. Least movement options and floatiest gameplay.

I collected them all, and now I never feel like going back and doing it again, because so much of it was bland or grindy. And if I was going for a regular playthrough, there are so many easy moons it's hard to justify going out of the way for the more challenging ones.

It was a fun game, but it has very low replay value, and that's a crying shame.

>there's a reason why Odyssey has an insane number of speedrunners
yeah; autism you fucking retard. because its a Nintendo game

it makes parting with it for something better easier

Who the fuck needs to "justify" going back and having fun?

Literthe most zoomer response I've ever seen

There's nothing inherently fun about Odyssey. The entire game is just small empty worlds with basic platforming and a huge checklist.

playing games like a job
this kills the games

Why are you a faggot, OP ?

Did you get diddled ?

Because, believe it or not, the feeling of accomplishment you get for succeeding at something challenging can be rendered hollow and patronizing if you can get the same result from jumping onto a medium sized rock.

Attached: That's a moon.png (913x511, 1.17M)

what went wrongwhat went wrong
what went wrongwhat went wrongwhat went wrong
what went wrongwhat went wrongwhat went wrong
what went wrong
what went wrowhat went wrongnwhat went wrongwhat went wrong
what went wrong
what went wrowhat went wrongngg
what went wrowhat went wrongng
what went wrowhat went wrongng

you sure drugs aren't just simple fun?

We figured out there was no God
Then there was nothing we could do

I've seen this mindset plaguing the younger generation a lot. They need to be explicitly rewarded in addition to the rewards being abritarily tiered. The point of the moons and the Korok seeds is to show you that the reward is performing the action. Now, go play microtransaction filled carrot-on-a-stick games little zoom zoom.

its more with people now having less patience and attention span. After mario play through is over move on to the next thing immediately.

>What went so horribly wrong?
80% of the moons are absolute filler and feel like an afterthought. The same goes for a number of the things you can capture. Then you have a high contrast in level design between the absolute GOAT that was New Donk City or Honeylune Ridge versus the steaming pieces of shit that were Lake Lamode or Forgotten Isle. The forced motion controls are a joke and I wish games would stop doing that, but I guess they gotta keep wagglan somehow. And I wish they'd stop insisting on mapping every action to two buttons and different combinations of the two. They have more than that on the controller, actually use them instead of doubling up.

This is the worst opinion written on the internet about Odyssey. Try again, faggot.

Now that I look back on it yeah it is kind of lame but I thought the reveal of Baby Bowser and the whole Bowser relaxing in a hot tub thing was pretty funny/creative. The other boss battles more than make up for this one though. (I still really liked this final battle) Just hanging around in some of the maps for the last shines is pretty fun.

>there's a reason why Odyssey has an insane number of speedrunners, it allows for so much freedom and level breaking
DUDE THROW HAT DIVE JUMP ON HAT OVER AND OVER

Attached: peach butt pantsu.jpg (1280x1810, 386K)

Odyssey just felt super fucking sterile for some reason. I wouldn't have minded it as much if there was 1/9th of the amount of moons, and more effort was put into getting each of them vs. just random "Here you gos" for venturing into a nook or cranny.

Because it deviates from what Mario games are supposed to be dramatically to the point where it is not fair to judge it as a Mario game but as a third party platformer game.

>Exhibit A: Cap Jump
This turns the game into a double jumper. While it is profoundly clever way of double jumping compared to third party games, there is no Mario game that lets you do this and for good reason. Double jumping is antagonistic to horizontal speed as it slows down / kills your momentum. Diving in mid-air in this game also kills your momentum as you are literally cancelling out plunging straight down with the ground pound to do it.

>Exhibit B: Banjo Kazooie-style collecting
Because the game is not centered around episodes, it blends all your collecting Moons together in rapid fashion. Moons become less special to snag because they're littered everywhere. Now if they had copied 64/Sunshine timeline they would have known to properly separate small-sized objectives with another collectable (i.e. blue coins). Odyssey is really fun in New Donk City, so maybe there is a way to utilize the delirium of mass moon collection with the current Odyssey engine and assets.

Exhibit C: Purchase power
Because Toadette literally hands you a Moon based off some PDF chart looking achievement list. So Mairo hops in place. Comes down. Repeat this twenty times or so. Because you purchase clothes that act as keys instead of powerups. Because you stockpile yellow coins. Because lives are replaced by money. Because you buy Moons.

Exhibit D: Acrobatic Movement
Because Mario's moveset is not equipped to go long distances with Odyssey's movement, which is why they boringly add simplistic vehicles for Mario to use and discard. Because Mario's base movement is too loose feeling compared to 64 and Sunshine. Because Odyssey's movement is simply put underwhelming.

Exhibit E: World Design Transition
No HUB. Cappy takes you in a blimp to new worlds and while doing so explains to you 'how to play'.

Because you played it for the first time at age 29 not age 8 like those other games

lol so true :)

3D Land is unironically more fun than the "real" 3D Marios

You guys sure seem to remember it

Yeah you're missing your ball little girl.

>fun
Nice buzzword little bitch

90% of the moons are filler and the moons that aren't filler don't require a whole lot of skill.

Attached: nu-fun.jpg (800x600, 83K)

Just beat this game recently. I want to play through another 3D Mario. Already beat 64, so between Sunshine and the Galaxy games, what should I get?

Moons are way too fucking easy to get. They are literally everywhere. Easier than fucking koroks in botw.

I can't recall. Did BotW have hint systems in place for locating seeds? Odyssey lets you pay npcs for hints, or using an amiibo, or buying moons outright iirc.

Because this one just came out and you only have nostalgic connections to older games

Korok Mask

This it's always "new thing bad, old thing good :^|" with Yea Forums

I enjoyed it but some worlds feel pretty meh, i liked the castle with the dragon kiingdom but they didn't expand upon it, would have loved more interesting worlds like that

Music is good but i don't think it's that memorable, outsidde of some tracks, it¡s basically meh

Story is predictable and all but i enjoyed those silly moments by the end of the game

I think it was good, but very formulaic and predictable.

Korok Mask, but it was only available in the DLC

wrong

Why is that bad? You'll reach the level of density you want eventually and you have a sliding level of reward to compensate.