Since the souls games pretty much spawned a new "sub genre", what is the best souls-like game?

Since the souls games pretty much spawned a new "sub genre", what is the best souls-like game?

Attached: 45544545.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/I2rV8oKWSdM
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3d1nvKeTnU&ved=2ahUKEwiBgveI4OfkAhVL_J4KHS-eBO8QwqsBMAB6BAgMEAU&usg=AOvVaw06g-pjtr1x556slAdg1wio
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bloodborne

What defines the souls-like genre?
No menu saving
Skill based combat, instead of stat based
what else?

the only right answer

salt and sanctuary

based

This ain't a fucking joke kiddo

Attached: Nigga.jpg (450x450, 57K)

Of the actual clones?
Or the games that half assedly apply mechanics or ideas, without the end result? This is a important question, OP of one line

How come retards make and flock to 2d side scrolling castle metroid mega man series and call it "souls like"? Its not souls like at all.

>3d doesnt make it souls
Cope

why all the good manga has to go into hiatus

Hollow Knight is the only one, at least in 2D, which comes close to that mesmerising connected-world feeling from DS1

>user gifts me salt and sancutary during christmas
>tfw 30++ hours and all the achievements in a few days

Attached: comfy frog.png (409x409, 185K)

Because muh death penatly.

Healing consumable that refills everytime you reach a checkpoint.
Levels that loop around themselves.
Cryptic story.
Bare feet giant women.

youtu.be/I2rV8oKWSdM
Still, Demon Souls did it better. Mostly because 40% of the gameplay is eating grass.

you have to get your souls /gold else they're gone for good
,you suck dick ? let me make i worse

Just a shame interconnected 3D worlds are rare.
And its a shame that having actual good map design and movement powerups are rare for 2D platformers, and most of them will be labelled Metroidvania regardless of how garbage the map and level up design is.

I am impressed by what Prime 1 managed to do to replicate Super Metroids design philosphy, but the map design and movement options is sadly not that strong.
It seem to be a trend for Metroidvanias. Even if they manage.

Attached: Metroid_101_META_RIDLEY.png (600x800, 42K)

why is every western "soulslike" game so shitty

Do any of them even have online PvP and co-op? That's like half the Souls recipe to me.

also stamina bar IMO, even if Sekiro didnt have it

Attached: Soulsborne.jpg (1000x5000, 961K)

This has to be a joke right? Cuphead?
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3d1nvKeTnU&ved=2ahUKEwiBgveI4OfkAhVL_J4KHS-eBO8QwqsBMAB6BAgMEAU&usg=AOvVaw06g-pjtr1x556slAdg1wio

1. Gameplay loop is janky, All 6 fromsoft DS games have more polish to attack/defense than what most games have for movement
2. There is some kind of RPG upgrade system, but its a stack of +1% per level stuff. So it doesn't work, because the escalation is so small
3. Didn't understand how sprint > roll vs stamina works at all, and implemented a half assed solution

I haven't gotten around to the other DS FPS game yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it suffers a lot of the same problem that Remnants from the Ashes do. But it wouldn't surprise me if Immortal Unchained has similar issues.

For closer clones?
Ashen has many janky problems around its mechanics, on top of there only being 4 weapons(with some small class variations). Its more serviceable because there is only 4 weapons, but its limited by scope and polish.
Lords of the Fallen has many polish issues, where they also didn't understand the mechanics they copied. It has some fun stuff like tank armor working vs bosses, but most of its melee mechanics is terrible jank. Surge is basically LOTF 2.0, but still has a lot of jank due unpolished implemenation.

Attached: Screenshot (28).jpg (2560x1440, 311K)

crash trilogy

Respawning enemies
You die really really fast, and healing/buffs take a lot of animation
Bosses are somewhat well designed
Mini bosses that can be casual encounters

Attached: eatingfishforcasheverydayuntilyoulikeit.jpg (800x1400, 397K)

is the one you posted any good?

Souls-Like is the most childish term to coin for these styles of games. It doesn't even roll off the tongue well at that.

Attached: 1564783971662.gif (260x260, 1.72M)

Probably Bloodborne.

tenchu

Its okay. But its not great. It has some great ideas, like turning the elite enemies into possible boss encounters.
But it has the same issue a lot of these games have, like random maps meaning each map has meaningless clutter design.

I would say its okay, but not great. If it had polish, and they removed all the RPG stat padding it could have been a rather decent game.
Instead its a boring slog until you reach/slay a dragon, leave earth, go trough a Stargate, and actually have fun. A lot of the design and spectacle is great, and you finally start getting weapons that isn't complete shit.
Remnant from the Ashes is like 6/10, where it lacks many of the elements that could have made it really really good as a game.

Attached: Stargate_.gif (320x176, 1.77M)

Currency/experience lost upon death

this is the only reason i rate ds1 so highly
all the others, including bloodborne and demon souls, just used hub based shit and linear teleportation instead of building a huge detailed but open world you can walk from one side to the other, with a few annoying exceptions like anal rodeo and the painted world
all the other souls constantly disappoint with the shitty world design and teleport shit
i guess most people buy it for the memes and the pvp but i loved the game for the world, lore and the clunky slow methodical combat
sucks to be me

Probably Dark souls 1 or Bloodborne
But for me, is demon souls.

Attached: Slayer of Demons.png (555x933, 555K)

Can I get a quick rundown on death gambit? is it better than salt and sanctuary?

It's mostly just a variant of Action Rpg.
I blame journos for the abuse of the term.

This is indeed the dark souls of threads.

What's the game on the left supposed to be?

>Was expecting a meme game with the salt in the name just because the "omgsohardxd" trend.

Ended up with a really comfy horror rpg.

Attached: 6675766567.jpg (900x900, 50K)

Same question, but the center one.

Center one looks like Ashen

Never played Salt and Sanctuary, but Death's Gambit was just alright in my opinion. The story is more traditionally told, instead of just leaving you ambiguous descriptions. The levels are varied, but there isn't much exploring to do outside of how you'd just go through areas normally. Some of the bosses, especially later ones, are really fun to fight. None of it is enough to make the game a standout title, but it's perfectly decent and enjoyable.

ESL.

Nevermind, found it. It's Eitr. I stopped caring about that game like 3 years ago, it's surprising to see it's still in development.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1290x720, 136K)

Was Lord of the Fallen THAT bad?

Eitr looks like a significantly worse version of Shrouded in Sanity.
Shucks.

SiS is actually a good game with good gameplay design.

Attached: Screenshot (30).png (2560x1440, 439K)

That's clearly a shitpost but Lords of the Fallen wasn't really good.

Honestly, its a tie between bloodborne and DaS1

The real question is,when a souls game with mecha style like mecha warriors for snes will come out

Attached: 71PgnFcR0jL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1310, 96K)

>Shrouded in Sanity.
im excited for Eitr but i didnt know SiS existed im gonna try it out now

SiS is part of a series as well. It has 2 sequels, with a 3rd releasing next month IIRC

Sekiro

nioh is just different enough for me not to feel like souls

are the first two the skautfold games? Into the fray and usurper?

Yes. Skautfold is the name of the series.

Unsurper is pretty good, but its not as well polished as SiS is.
Most likely going to get game 3 when it come out as well, since Unsurper and SiS both have enough quality to be genuinely good experiences.

Attached: Unsurper_the_unsurper.jpg (1920x1080, 163K)

okay never mind combat and that shit, level design is the real deal but everyone just copies souls combat instead of exploration

It's game 4 that's coming out next month. Into The Fray released after Usurper and that would be game 3.

Whats the left and middle game?

any of those two worth playing?

>left
Eitr
>middle
Ashen

What games if released today would zoomers call "souls-like"?

I think gears of war.

>Shrouded in Sanity
Do you like Bloodborne? Because it copies EVERYTHING right about the combat system, on top of drowning you in eyeballs
>Unsurper
Not their greatest work, but its a genuinely good game. Its worth playing because it also do almost everything right, bar polish
I.e one of the final upgrades you get is flight, and you have to fight a completely insane boss to get it. Its amazing
>Into the Fray
Haven't purchased it yet
>Moonless Knight
Most likely going to be same quality level, so its worth getting.

Thank you.

Thanks, I'll give shrouded in sanity a try when it goes on sale, it looks like a short game too.