How is it, compared to first two?

how is it, compared to first two?

Attached: dd.png (640x577, 630K)

It's good, not as good as the GBA duology, but still good. It was starting to pick up, and then... nothing. That's the risk of making games with having them link with sequels in mind. The original game could have ended up the same way.
Also, it looks fucking amazing for a DS game, genuinely impressed at what the hardware is capable of.

it's gaming Kino with one of the most climactic and satisfying endings.

Bad, I regret buying it as a kid.

Not as big of a sequel as it should be and ends up feeling more like a GS1.5. Somehow manages to cling too tightly to the old games and yet not tightly enough with how certain things are handled, plus it both doesn't introduce enough new things yet a lot of the new things it does introduce are a bit half baked or not done well. With all that said it still has pretty strong visual and dungeon design along with the great Djinn system. It still upholds and builds with a lot of what made the series actually enjoyable to play. So it's worth playing, but has some flaws to look past and isn't really the game it should have been after so long.

Hope you like unannounced points of no return.

Same quality as the first.

It's worth a playthrough and I generally like it, but it does feel almost afraid to make the changes it makes. All the new and interesting stuff if crammed in the latter half of the game and you don't spend much time with it

The one thing I ain't ever gonna forgive is making Crossbone Isle postgame only

If you liked the first two games, you'll like this. However, like the first game, this one's story was clearly written with the expectation of a sequel, which doesn't seem to be happening. Enjoy your cliffhanger

It starts good but gets repetitive pretty soon, I dropped it because it felt like a fucking chore after playing the first 2.

That shit pissed me off

its shit

i remember waiting for this at release with a buddy and us both being SO disappointed after playing 1/2 through all our childhood years

It's just kinda okay. Not horrible, but still below the GBA duo. There's a pretty severe lack of focus in what kind of sequel it actually wants to be so it's all over the place with its ideas and many of them can even clash with each other, like how the plot could very well have been a new original setting with a different cast, but then it still tries to be on the same continents as the first two despite all these ancient civilizations and histories suddenly existing we never even heard of. And how the game starts off with some direct references and callbacks to the first two, and then goes absolutely nowhere with them for the rest of the game. Gameplay-wise, it doesn't even do anything particularly new or interesting and some of the fun psynergies like Mind Read aren't even around anymore. There's a new weapon skill mechanic which is like some kind of list of unleashes every weapon gets if a character gets more used to that weapon type, but it's very half baked and feels almost nonexistent a majority of the time. Exploration wise, they sorta wanted to keep this big open world feel, but the game still has a sort of linear structure to it to the point where there are multiple entire sections of world map you can never go back to once you've left them (especially bad for collecting Djinn since you can permanently miss them because of this)

Ironically, I feel like it probably would've been a little better received if it actually was just a completely new world and cast as opposed to clinging to the GBA games in this absurdly loose fashion. There ARE some ideas it has that can have their own merit, they just feel extremely jarring to have in this world that already was fleshed out and previously made no mentions of this new stuff.

Attached: 1555938931674.jpg (400x400, 89K)

Weak but I still enjoyed it. Did it have online like that boxart suggests?

The only people who like DD like it because they want to fuck Sveta.

Every character reacting to everything and putting their two cents on every situation was just unbearable and distracting. The massive machines, towers, and entire kingdoms of beastmen and others that were inexplicably brought into existence for this game was also tiresome.

Nobody wanted a 30 year time gap where everyone we cared about is gone, old, or offscreen and different except Alex and Kraden. Light and Dark Adepts, etc. It's all hot garbage. People would have played a proper sequel with our original party, dealing with the aftermath of the Golden Sun event, seeing Isaac and Jenna's romance, and the fate of the other characters as Alchemy is released.

Dark Dawn was just a vomit of ideas, art, and results with no worldbuilding, lore, or substance. A shame, because visually and musically it was kino af.

It's literally more of the same. Anyone that says it's writing is a dip in quality or it's not as good is just lying to themselves.

Avoid at all costs

It's pretty good. Better than GS1 but worse than GS2. I think people had set their expectations too high when it came out, not realizing their standards had probably grown with time. GS has always been an rpg for children and it was never about complex dialogue or plot.

not very good. I still replay the first two games regularly but I have yet to force myself through another playthrough of DD.

It's the same shit as the first two with a few more added niggles that don't actually mean much. The game is bad because the core is shit, not because it adds a few (pointlessly irritating) points of no return.

That's not true. Me wanting to fuck Sveta had nothing to do with enjoying the game to a degree. Speaking of the characters, I also think Matt's design is awesome and prefer it a lot more to Isaac's.

He's just Isaac with slightly different clothes.

Exactly. Better, adventure-er clothes.

This, easily the worst part of the game. There are 2 or 3 PONR, pissed me off so much to find out I had to replay the whole fucking game again to get all the djinni.

Also the game just bathes you in exp and was way too easy as a result. I wasn't even done grinding for the best armor/weapon drops and I hit the level cap on several characters.

>It's pretty good. Better than GS1 but worse than GS2
No. Its got lots of issues. Too much hand-holding, multiple points of no return, pacing issues, bloated cast and underdeveloped characters, far too easy, less equipment and fewer weapons with most being returning items from the previous games, it took a step back in many areas in favor of its presentation and accessibility. Its still an okay game though.

I'd prefer seeing the real changes brought about by bringing alchemy back, which requires a time skip. The immediate aftermath isn't going ot be anything impressive because you don't suddenly learn alchemy or build technology based on it. It's just people losing their shit because a ton of them now have magic they don't know how to use.

Did it sell like shit, or why was the sequel never made?

Fans hated it, so no sequel ever. Camelot is in Mario sports hell.

It still surprises me how many people act like Dark Dawn is garbage and way below the rest of the games when 1 was just as bad in pretty much every area.

1 felt a lot more organic than DD. And it didn't have points of no return.

It shouldn't, because GS1 is the better game.

What a shitty opinion. user

Only slightly, and your ability to backtrack in GS1 wasn't worth shit given how fast you could blow through the game. The world was arguably even less charismatic, the writing just as simple and boring, and the lack of resolution or development just as annoying. It's a bit easier and actually punishes you for being passive, but that's about it. I really can't hold it as 1's lesser.
At least the first user had an opinion and defended it.

Based

a boring generic rpg with 'golden sun' slapped on it to make it sell something.

It still surprises me how many people act like they like Golden Sun when they just hate it, Yea Forums hatebonner for the series is not a secret user, bait harder.

Kill yourself zoomer

A combination of backlash against something popular and literal children too young to have played it hating on anything older than they are.

I think it's alright. The first two are alright too.

Not as bad as many will say, really only has a few problems, ponr and difficulty being the main two. Wordyness is kind of a hallmark of the series, a lot of people dont like it, but I take it for what it is. I personally think it would have worked better as an anime or something. Plot and character development wise, just simple intraparty conversations, like some tales of games have, would fix a lot.

Attached: 1374620656889.jpg (600x768, 103K)

Better than the first game, not as good as TLA purely because of the dumb point-of-no-return, retarded cliffhangar, and lack of sidequests and overall linearness of it.
Definitely a worthy sequel, builds on what the original games did, and still fun for the same reasons.

I can't recommend it though, purely based on the fact the game ends on the most jarring cliffhanger you'll ever see. You think the ending of the first GS game was bad? Dark Dawn ends in the middle of the climax, they don't even hint at what the outcome could be.

I hate Dark Dawn because the main character's love interest is a furry.

This never came out OP nice try

Combat system is much better, but the rest of the game just feels inferior

This, but the exact opposite.

It's terrible and it killed any chances of this series having a future.

They spent all their time bringing ever feature from the last game into 3D graphics and didn't have any time left to do anything new, a proper story or anything of note really. Also combat, puzzles and dungeons are even easier than the original two games which is really fucking ridiculous, considering those games were already way too easy to make use of the combat system.
The two regular boss themes were great.

I liked the ending up until the cliffhanger. They introduce Light and Dark Adapts, show Alex is a triple crosser yet again, blueball us on this mysterious empire a little more, and finish off Sveta's story. But then we circle around to the beginning and find a blackhole and nothing.

Someday they'll let Camelot stop endlessly working on Mario Tennis games and finish GS r-right?

Sure user, and Golden Sun 4 will be such a massive success that Sega will sell them Shining so they can work on that one again, Camelot will double in size, and we'll get brand new Golden Sun and Shining games every 2-3 years that are so good they force Bamco to put more effort into Tales, Tri-Ace stops being shit and Star Ocean is good again, and Sega brings back single player Phantasy Star . This will lead to a JRPG renaissance with new series and companies popping up everywhere and taking over the industry, drive SJWs to the sea, and make anime real.

Attached: 1454305247829.png (329x290, 173K)

>Tri-Ace stops being shit and Star Ocean is good again

Stop user I'm already hurt GS is effectively dead this is kicking me while I'm down. I want SO2 quality again. I want that truly unique freedom the game had to it despite having a linear story, I want breaking the game in the first 6 hours back.