Is the Armor System really that bad?

Is the Armor System really that bad?

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 53K)

Yes

I really dont see whats so bad about it but People here dont like it

no

Fuck armor just use telekinesis and auto kill everything with a bag or chest

you listening to Yea Forums?

The armor system's problem is compounded with level scaling being piss-poor. Seriously, unique items get obsoleted in a single goddamn level. The game's math is so fucked.

It gets in the way of what makes the combat system so fun and people primarily play video games to try and have fun.

Attached: 1556471881845.jpg (720x448, 52K)

It actually lowers build variety, and was designed as an autistic way to balance to game due to complaints with the balance in the first game, but if you know anything about cRPGs, the worst thing you can do it balance them like that, its unfun

This

Yes.

I dont think that's too bad

What's a fun build for a first time playthrough?

Im gonna play Fane (Chris Avellone's self insert)

pyro warrior with sparkstriker is fun

playing/replaying the first D:OS is way more fun

Is it a good port on the switch?
Also how creative can I be? My buddy keeps saying its a fantastic RPG reminiscent of the old fallout games, but im nervous itll be "press strong skill 1, press strong skill 2, win"
Can I make puddles and shock people? Use the environment to my advantage? Be a crafty dickass rogue?

janky shit

Lone wolf, Polymorph and get Apotheosis and Skin graft.
Geomancer and get Pyroclastic Eruption.
Enjoy murdering the entire game, killed the whole last encounter on my first turn in Honour Mode.

necromancy telekinesis with the chest from the waterfall in act 1. it cant be broken and you can just fill it with heavy shit, put it on one character that is just idle and move it to your tele guy once he enters fights. Enjoy killing everything in a single blow.

It would be kinda cool if armor auto-generated and absorbed only X% of incoming damage or something.

I don't know what the best way to prevent too easy chain CC is. In the first game you could just lmao electric water everything and that's not too fun either.

Is it really that janky?
Should i recruit the scaly lizard prince? I know lone wolf allows at least one companion and i heard he has an interesting backstory.

no more janky than DOS2

Yes. Even with the best gear, enemies will instantly shred through your armor and cripple you, but enemies are much more resistant themselves. It's most prevalent in an end-game boss fight, where the boss always goes first and nukes your entire party.

Yes.

Just use a mod for unique scaling brainlet.

He's fine, schizo bard chick has my fave quest. But Lizard has the best bantz.

He's a bit of a bitchy cunt. You'll probably enjoy ifan more on a first playthrough.

Also you might not want lone wolf on a first playthrough if you want to experience as many character backstories/sidequests as possible

Why does he ask you to be his slave near the end? It felt very weird seeing as his character up to that point was learning that slavery was not in a noble position and it just sorta felt out of left field. Was it meant to be a joke?

You cannot telekinesis it. You gotta tele it first.
And use your backpack. It cannot break up either.
Here is easiest way to beat the game:
Create a polymorph character. Stack everything into strength and telekinesis. Pick Lone wolf as talent. Rush tutorial part, take packages, put them into your backpack. Move backpack around with your telekinesis. Put also small crates into the backpack, they weight 50 ea. When you get into fort joy, look for water/oil/ooze barrels, big paintings and metal crates. Put as much as you can in them. You can now oneshot everything by moving your smol backpack around with your telekinesis
WARNING: Watch out for enemies with retribution. Get good armors and consider lightening your backpack for enemies with high retribution.

Attached: 1539683694058.gif (180x280, 246K)

Larian could've handled it like other games have done it. In WoW, cc spells (usually) have a 100% chance to hit, but suffer from diminishing returns, so that every other cc spell applied after the first one has an increasingly shorter duration. In underrail, cc abilities also have a high chance to hit, but after the first cc ends, the character is immune to all cc for a while

That sounds alright. Perhaps a hard CC could downgrade to a soft stat-reducing CC during the immunity?

If you don't think it's fun then don't do it

you trannylovers from jrpgcodex should stop posting on Yea Forums
you have your own shithole
stop pushing your poorly thought out agendas here

>retribution
or just get the necromancy spell that prevents you from dying.

it's nothing like fallout, it's plays more like the board game ludo with magical naruto teleporting all over the place

Yes. It is not a good system to deincentivize save scumming for good rolls. The cons created to achieve that goal are fundamentally worse, and make the rythm of fights feel very reptitive and gamey. Bosses are always strongest in the beginning of the fight, where they are simply immune to all crowd control by their armor type. This is thematically lame and monotonous gameplay-wise.

Good point.

yep

afaik armor was introduced because people don't like RNG... in a genre that has always been based on dice rolls. RNG is what adds the strategic element to turn-based games (will i hit or not? i have to plan for both) and taking it out simplifies.

plus, it's just more exciting to use an ability and not know whether it will land or not and if it crits and so on. rolling the dice with the boys is what made d&d originally fun

I really like the RNG-less aspect of DoS 2's combat.

>RNG is what adds the strategic element to turn-based games
Surely the strategic element is predicting what your opponent (AI or person) will do his next turn.

i guess that's a part of it but weighed dice rolling is that keeps turn-based combat from being completely mindnumbingly simple. just try to play XCOM with all the hit chances being either 0% or 100%, or play a card game with pre-defined deck orders. it's not really a game anymore if you know exactly what will happen, you're just pressing buttons without having to think about it. and that's what divinity 2 feels like at times.

Since this is a CRPG Thread

Is Pathfinder any good?

>Surely the strategic element is predicting what your opponent (AI or person) will do his next turn.
it is.
Take out the element of the unexpected and you end up with a really bland puzzle game, just like D:OS games, on top of their other massive, non RNG related problems.

> just try to play XCOM with all the hit chances being either 0% or 100%
Well, try to play chess where hit chance is *not* binary. That would ruin the game too.

I agree that turn based games with firearms should have hit percentages, but DoS2 is about (rapid) positioning and status effects. It plays a lot like a turn-based MOBA imo. Anyway, other than the armor system I think the main thing is needs is a meaner AI and adjusted skill effects that forces you to react to AI action a greater extent, rather than the player always leading the battle. Then enemies wouldn't need to be damage sponges

Nah not really. Just need to have a 2 mage a tank and archer to melt through everything

This is my primary build for parties.

>build entire team around magic drain and Charm
>win
The fact that I was getting sick and fucking tired of every group of enemies doing this to me, meant that I could do it back and made encounters trivial to the point of boredom made me very, very sad. The fact that I could do this to the Kraken and take control of every unit in the final encounter was fucking laughable.

Attached: 1562291354354.gif (480x361, 414K)

Still on my first playthrough, but I'm having the most fun with my main character who I'm playing as an "elementalist", aka an everything-mancer. Just a few points in each elemental school then pumped polymorph for maximum intelligence and also a shit ton of memory for all the spells.