Find. A. Single. Flaw

Find. A. Single. Flaw.

Attached: 293041-alien-isolation-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg (800x800, 60K)

Hide and seek simulators are fucking garbage.

Game was unironically way too long.

Had a few bugs here and there. Other than that i really can't. It completely BTFO's any alien game before it. I hope we get a proper sequel that doesn't give in to the autistic aliens fans.

This. The story just limps on after at least two natural climaxes.

1. alien is a shitty reddit franchise
2. 'horror' is a shitty reddit genre
3. published by sega

Not on the RGS, not buying.

>alien game
>you're mostly fighting humans

What a reddit-tier post. Disregarded.

That's fuckin great though
Games that go on for 3 hours more than you expected are the best, and in this case it doesn't really get boring. The hive section was more kino than half of the actual movies

It's not so much that it was too long, it was that after the alien died it seemed totally pointless to keep playing.

>In this case it didn't get boring
It got real fucking boring.

I started the game, played up to the first or second save, then the next time I tried to load it up, the game would never load. Haven't tried going back. Seemed cool, but not confident that I wouldn't lose hours of progress due to whatever this bug is.

Boring pos. Hide and seek walking simulator.

Alien:triology is still the best and kickes the shit out of this boring "game"

you can't fuck xenomorphs

this
it almost becomes a comedy at the end with how much bad, unlucky shit keeps happening to her

Not an argument.

Yo momma got real fuckin boring last night

>Umm, why aren't there explosions going off every twenty seconds?!?!?!?!?

Attached: elongatedSoy.png (214x300, 31K)

Can't fuck the ayylmao

Attached: xenopellegrino.jpg (1000x625, 41K)

>Reading comprehension

This is a problem for evey alien game

While i agree with you the shitty wojack meme needs to painfully expire

It's too long and the situations are too repetitive.

Avoid the bots and avoid the xenomorph.

Went on a little too long. I was ready to just blow up the station after finding out the log data was corrupted.

One of my favorite games of all time and favorite PC game of all time. Masterpiece.

Critique:
1. The tethering of Alien to your location which hurts the immersion and realism. Can be resolved by a mod.
2. The game was too long, should have been 5 hours shorter or have a different change in environments but same length. 15-20 hours on the ship is too long.

You can avoid fighting humans most of the time
Leading the alien towards them was my favorite

Stop playing the game if you get bored stop using words you know nothing of.

Would you recommend the mod for a first playthrough?

Brainlet here, I dont think I beat this game and I know it doesn't have a regular new game plus but once you beat it and you get all the blueprints do you keep all of them if you do the 'replay level' thing?

Clunky movement and interactions.

One of my most favorite of this decade. Would love to see what CA could do with Terminator theme

Flamethrower is too powerful

This but I want the ayy to fuck Ripley.

my dick got hard every time a face hugger would get her and you hear her gagging

What do you mean? If you use it too often on the alien it will over time become more resistant and less afraid of it

>tethered alien
Major flaw. It's why I completely dropped the game.

The game kept going after it ended.

fucking this 2nd half was just
>crank this valve
>press this button
>tap this computer
>find this access shit
>turn on this generator
>find this computer
I was just fiddling with things and not having any fun if not for the hive section the 2nd half would be irredeemable.

Attached: 1536212967897.jpg (377x325, 21K)

What? Auto-win button isn't broken because you can only press it a few times? Okay Yea Forums

The xenomorph A.I. seems perfect for a Jurassic Park game with raptors

This.

You can't fuck the alien wtf

they didn't release official vr support despite having it fully working.
the mod is fine but it has issues.

Unironically in my top 5 of all time

and none of my other top 5 games are from after 2004

You are reddit

It's not that it's too long, but that there is no threat escalation past a certain point. You just keep getting more and more powerful while enemies remain mostly static, even the Alien and on Nightmare difficulty. They should've thrown more curveball scenarios at you or something.

A walking simulator the defination of onions.

Homing alien

whaddya hear?
whaddya say?

What are you talking about? The alien itself will sometimes just ignore your flames because you've used it too often. This combined with relatively rare ammo makes it pretty well balanced as a weapon.

The 2nd half is where things start accelerating.
You have the attention span of a fly if you thought it was all valve turning and generator cranking. She's an engineer so it makes sense you dumb FUCK

The Alien is glued to your ass in a way that feels forced. It strains belief that, with such a big station filled with prey, the Alien always happens to be close to you.

Despite painting Amanda as a handy engineer, all the engineering she does is prebaked animations and insultingly dumb minigames. Some more involed minigames that give you a sense of actually tinkering with machinery would have helped immensely.

Progression through the game is too linear and lacks mechanics, it's basically "go to the next objective marker while avoiding the alien", which just involves sneaking around and hiding. All the tools you can build feel unnecessary to continue so the resource management in this game feels pretty pointless. Compare the base gameplat to something like RE1 that gave you a location to gradually unlock and much more meaningful resource management and you'll quickly see how Alien Isolation falls short.

Overall the game is too simplistic and too afraid to have real mechanics, it's more concerned with being a spooky ride through a licensed setting than in having meaningful gameplay mechanics like proper resource management of things you actually absolutely need in order to progress or having actually explorable environments without railroaded paths and prebaked objectives.

Your unable to get pregnated by the alien

But you can let a facehugger hump ripley's throat which is pretty hot.

>The tethering of Alien to your location
Holy fuckballs this times a million. I started the game on the hardest difficulty and was enjoying myself until the fucking hospital where the alien is constantly on top of you making getting from one room to another a slow, unfun drag that borders on RNG. I don't mind the alien being OP for the sake of authenticity, but if the alien so much as gets a whiff of you you're better of reloading the last save. I contemplated restarting on a lighter difficulty but I ended up just dropping the game completely despite loving the concept.

Attached: 1552527719458.webm (1280x720, 2.57M)

The game becomes much more fun once you grasp how the Alien aggroes and how your own sound works. Then it becomes an utter snorefest once you fully understand it.

Was this before the 1.02 patch? The tethering was lessened by a lot. I played at launch on pc and the rubberbanding seemed glitched, not an issue anymore, can make it through medical with only 2-3 sightings of the alien now, the most noticable is opening the first locked door to the crew area and droping through the vents into the sleep quarters, it always seems to follow me at that specific part but otherwise it's way easier to loose.

I'm a big fan of horror and Alien/Aliens but I just quit the game after two hours, extremely boring. Even with some vague combat, the alien being an unstoppable force makes it not scary. Amnesia and SOMA had some real problems with this, that you couldn't fight back so once you died a single time it just becomes an annoying, not scary game of hide and seek. But both those games (especially SOMA, which is absolutely kino) at least had great stories going for them. I didn't finish Isolation but I was not interested in the story at all, especially with the heavy use of cutscenes at the beginning. Just being thrown into the game is best when it's horror. Amnesia and SOMA do this very well, giving you control immediately. Isolation makes you go through half an hour to an hour before you have any agency and then it's just getting stalked by the alien who always just happens to be right next to you.

It's one of the very few hide and seek style games I enjoy. Amnesia was good for being genuinely creepy, Penumbra games as well, but most other similar games are just uninspired and incredibly tedious due to the "crouch for 10 minutes until the bad guy patroling the area has his back turned to you" nature of the game as well as never feeling threatening since there's a checkpoint at every dangerous encounter anyway.

But Alien let you fight back against your threats, sure you couldn't kill the Alien but you could scare it away, trick it/distract it whatever to allow you to progress in other ways than just hiding forever.

>the Alien always happens to be close to you
There's more than one alien

My friend told me about this but it never stopped being effective on my Hard mode run

Pretty much agree with all of this. The Alien more than outstayed its welcome, and behaved with frustrating inconsistency when it was around. I felt the game was actually at its best when the Alien wasn't around- the threat of it was more intimidating than the reality of it, which was ultimately less scary and more annoying. I haven't played it since launch though and I don't know if they ever made changes to the game post-release. The random mod sounds really good, too.

Overall I really liked the game and found it sincerely creepy, but the star of the show was its main weakness rather than its strength.

Attached: 3.jpg (1920x1080, 146K)

It's a great game, but I find myself unable to say it because I have a key for it I'd like to trade off and don't want to give off the impression I have a conflict of interest.

Length unironically

Negatives: we don't really get any memorable characters, and so I can't fully invest myself into what happens to them. For a game of this length, that's important. The story is simple with no twists or turns we couldn't see when you start it. The alien is tethered to you in a way that in gameplay poses some issues already mentioned, but even narratively seems like you're always the alien's target in some way. The enemy humans were annoying except for the times you got the alien to kill them. Half of the tech seemed useless or redundant. The length of the story isn't an issue, it's more like it could have used that time in less redundant ways.

Positives: the working Joes were a cool enemy, simple in an understandable way. The tech and aesthetics were of that classic alien 70's sci-fi feel that I love. It didn't bog itself down with the lore of the rest of the movies, just the first (and best) movie. The hive sequence itself; both gameplay and the reveal that there even exists a hive, was one of my favorite horror experiences in a game. The hiding and tricking mechanics were the best of this "first person hide and seek" sub-genre. I'd like a sequel that improves upon this. 8/10

vrfags should try this with the mother vr mod

Not that this game doesn't deserve any criticism but it's interesting how much bad there is to say the horror genre. I love a good horror game, but it's a dying genre and even back when it was thriving the games were very flawed. Silent Hill 2 is known as the best horror game ever, deservingly so imo but the gameplay is pretty shit and is only excused because it makes you feel weak and helpless. I can barely think of any horror games that are all around excellent. Maybe RE4 and RE2remake but they aren't particularly scary. But I think Alien Isolation manages to do pretty good in most areas for me to consider it one of the top horror games ever made.

The end

it absolutely is an argument, pseud.

I guess I'll give it another go once I get around to getting VR. I played on launch and couldn't stomach the AI no matter how hard I tried. Are there any mods that have come out since then I should be aware about?

i want an alien 3d metroidvania

Besides the alien always being glued to you. The story gets retarted by the last third of the game

I got anxious and dropped the game around when you first see the Alium
a shame because I really liked the overall aesthetic but I'm too much of a pussy to push through it

Attached: 1560747466806 (8).jpg (500x495, 70K)

egg

Pacing was terrible in a few places.

Sounds like the franchise

>The Alien is glued to your ass in a way that feels forced. It strains belief that, with such a big station filled with prey, the Alien always happens to be close to you.
In a parallel universe we're currently complaining about how little alien there was
>Despite painting Amanda as a handy engineer, all the engineering she does is prebaked animations and insultingly dumb minigames. Some more involed minigames that give you a sense of actually tinkering with machinery would have helped immensely.
Frick right off with that. Everything she does is engineer tier
>Progression through the game is too linear and lacks mechanics, it's basically "go to the next objective marker while avoiding the alien", which just involves sneaking around and hiding. All the tools you can build feel unnecessary to continue so the resource management in this game feels pretty pointless. Compare the base gameplat to something like RE1 that gave you a location to gradually unlock and much more meaningful resource management and you'll quickly see how Alien Isolation falls short.
Frick off with this too. Most of the locations have areas that you will be able to unlock later with the right tools, and there are lots of times where you can visit these areas whenever you want. The tools all have their specific uses. You can probably go through it without using any of them but that's just making it harder.
>Overall the game is too simplistic and too afraid to have real mechanics, it's more concerned with being a spooky ride through a licensed setting than in having meaningful gameplay mechanics like proper resource management of things you actually absolutely need in order to progress or having actually explorable environments without railroaded paths and prebaked objectives.
Whatever soiboi it works just fine without your "proper resource management.

the 2-3 hours of padding when you go out of the station with the suit
that part is walkin sim garbage

There's a mod called unpredictable alien that removes the tethering entirely except for specific situations that are scripted. It may make the game a breeze in some parts as the alien can be some sectors away instead of shadowing you but it also may make parts harder as it can show up in places it may typically not go. It's the most talked about mod, google should give you more info about it.

lmao try playing it on ps3
the framerate is abysmal for that section

wtf
I mean, it took me a while to like the game, and I bailed out 2 times
on my third try, after months from launch, I finally took the courage of enduring the 4-5 hours until the game is finally set, and you know what you have to do, you have the flamethrower and you are basically the alien's prey
now I have to say I love the game, and the atmosphere is on point with the movie, a slow burn, but the game has 4-6 hours of garbage content

Literally everything but the graphics

It's an overly bloated red light green light simulator with broken stealth and nothing else besides a dumb story

>Frick right off with that. Everything she does is engineer tier

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Granbelm - 08 [720p].mkv - 01;49;10.554.png (1280x720, 490K)

Lack of alien rape before death during kill sequences was a big flaw for me.

Attached: 9abbf526fd421f3b4e4b28c9e18bc903.jpg (1280x1178, 183K)

A major issue with horror games is that the developer never states what they think is an optimal way to first experience / beat the game. They leave it up to gamers. If you want to keep high tension in horror games you have to eliminate quick save mentality that plagues PC games. Long breaks between save points (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) or ideally no save points in a 3-5 hour game (i.e. Clock Tower).

The optimal way to play Dino Crisis: No saves (remove memory card). No continues, but you can use 'resurrection', which also without spoiling anything gives the player a choice on offensive/defensive play.

Alien Isolation is a pretty long game that restarting the whole game after dying isn't fun. As someone else noted the best way to play it is with the PC mod where the Alien is untethered. The major issue with this is that the developer never designed the game around this. The ability to take a long break instead of constant enemy pop-up is what separates true atmospheric horror from action. A game where things are slow to happen or where there isn't some major observation ever 40 seconds is rare. Publishers tend to shoe-in action elements to games where they are not warranted (e.g. Shadows of the Damned, Deadly Premonition).

The irony of anti-immersive 'quicksave/autosave' programmed PC games is that they share the same logic handheld games are based on. High tech using low tech mentality. Another difference is that a lot of handheld games can be beaten in one setting, which allows gamers to do 1CC runs, whereas doing something like that in STALKER would be ill-advised.

Don't ever talk shit about my wife again

and this

Attached: YYGUYYUGYUG.jpg (589x789, 86K)

Tethering was a big issue. It was an annoyance for sure and made the game kinda dull and predictable. There were a few cool times where I was walking around and expected the alien to just be following behind or something only to walk face first into him wandering around which really spooked the fuck out of me. They should have worked the alien out to wander around a lot more for cool things like that to happen and actually break your expectations rather than teleport around in vents 24/7 going straight for the player.