This had to have been one of the best final battles in any game I’ve ever played. That music, holy shit

This had to have been one of the best final battles in any game I’ve ever played. That music, holy shit.

Attached: 20102D36-BA96-4969-8A43-52033FA0F26E.jpg (904x634, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RVkcmx2l3WA
youtu.be/MhVni_JtZeI
youtube.com/watch?v=K2KcpAz7bRM
youtube.com/watch?v=1-_Did76LXQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=RVkcmx2l3WA

Attached: Ultimecia final form explained.png (932x909, 552K)

Careful bro, you said something positive about that game. Expect the Spoony brigade to arrive at any moment.

>tfw if you have any form of damage output you only get to hear The Legendary Beast play for like 10 seconds

Wasted song. Almost as bad as Zidane's theme in FF9.

This game is good but only if you are willing to break it with insane card grinding.

Too bad Ultimecia is a literally who tier fight in the vibes of Necron, where you honestly couldn't care less about her seeing as she has 1-2 dialogues through the entirety of the game making her a "we couldn't just not have an antagonist I guess" sorta situation. It doesn't help Edea, the only thing that you have been able to co-relate to the big bad until then, isn't even actually her so even that feels anti-climatic.
Would have honestly not felt quite as bad if Edea had remained a playable party member, or if they had just done the switcharoo far sooner.

On the pro side I give them she was, at least in Edea's shape, the most interesting antagonist in Final Fantasy design-wise and theme-wise.
It was a slippery slope of "It's Sephiroth, but-" from there on forward to the point I think Square Enix just really hates dudes with long hair with a passion.

All you need for the gameplay to be good is to play the game normally and level up like in any other FF and you get overpowered in no time. There's absolutely no need to mess around with carding, or playing cards constantly to refine (whichever you refer to). Playing cards is fun, but the idea that you need to rely on cards is a meme just like the drawing meme.

I found the whole end castle to be highly enjoyable.
Good music and lovely design.

Some upscaled backgrounds.

Attached: 1569153430053.png (736x960, 1.11M)

>Too bad Ultimecia is a literally who tier fight in the vibes of Necron
Real brainlet hours

>in the vibes of
lol dude

Attached: 1569157193669.png (1536x1152, 2.9M)

Final fantasy 8 is good.

Attached: 1569155403056.png (1728x1344, 3.57M)

Looks so nice. What's your excuse cuck enix?

Cool music, but piss easy

Attached: 1569153629641.jpg (1280x1792, 2.33M)

Attached: 1569153510535.png (1920x1344, 3.36M)

I've never played Final Fantasy, but Ultimecia and Cloud of Darkness are hot.

Explain what actual connection and impact does Ultimecia have on the party on a personal level and what makes her different beyond the fact that it was her all along.
Beyond the party being SEEDs and SEEDs as an organization being a collateral of Ultimecia, there is effectively nothing that makes the final confrontation be anything you have a deep feeling towards. She is just the figure of the big bad but beyond that, her as a character is completely irrelevant to the party as characters. She has more relevance to Seifer out of all people, than to anything and anyone else.
If it weren't because Rinoa, Edea and Big Sis are accidental witches, it could really be anyone from SEEDs and the meaningfulness would be about the same.

Why didn't she just Junction Squall directly?

Attached: B7AfeS3IAAE61bn.jpg (700x1024, 99K)

How many times did you play the game?

As far as I'm concerned, Rinoa=Ultimecia is canon. Why the FUCK did they not actually go that route? I refuse to accept that they didn't.

>when she talks to the player at the end
Spooked

Apparently more than you.

You can only junction thing you have "equipped". You need to have it as an item/magic.

?

Apparently not, since you just demonstrated a very poor grasp of the plot.

Attached: Nojima FF8.png (720x468, 395K)

I am still waiting for you to explain it.

Oh wait so that Squall image with no face was just an homage to the final boss. Not some esoteric way to show Squall is dead.

arigatou Nojima senpai

>i claim to have played the game many times but i need to be spoonfed an explanation summary

proprietary software for upscaling images

>479057890
I'll be here once you've put together something worth of a (you)

Even if they are not literally the same person, it is the same power but Ult went bad end villain because she grew up alone and hated while Riona has a group of friends including a handsome boyfriend.

Moral of the story; a good dicking prevents world catastrophes.

Of course not. The idea the frame means he's dead is utterly silly.. That frame needs to be viewed in context with the rest of the FMV:

The end FMV consists of three parts: Squall's part, Rinoa's part, and then the rest of the ending. Rinoa's part is when she runs through the night to the flower field, and when she finds Squall. Squall's part is the stuff prior to her finding him, it's what goes through his mind after he's transported back from the past into the future (the present). He's walks around lost in space and time, and drifts into unconsciousness until Rinoa awakes him.

Squall, before Rinoa finds him, is going through his memory trying to re-connect with his friends, focusing mostly on Rinoa. Prior to the end battle Quistis and Laguna both talk of the importance of mentally focusing on your friends and using your connection to them to find your way back after time travel.

Squall is trying to remember and focus on Rinoa. Before that frame with his empty head, we see several instances of Rinoa's face getting obscured and blurred out, followed by three frames of her face getting replaced with Ultimecia (aka Artemisia), then immediately after that Rinoa dissolves, and, right after that, that frame with Squall's empty head occurs, followed by the glass of Rinoa's helmet shattering with the Griever ring floating out. Right after that we see a zoom in on Squall's eye shedding a tear and him falling to his knees with head angled upwards, as if expressing that he realized something horrible and soul-crushing. That weird shit he sees is all symbolic. He realized he had just killed Rinoa in the final battle. Rinoa never had a blurry face problem, she never dissolved nor was killed in space, nor is Squall's head empty. All that stuff is simply symbolic of the thoughts & feelings Squall experiences in his mind at that moment. After that "nightmare" ends he wakes up after Rinoa finds him. And all is well in that timeline. Happy ending.

>was a slippery slope of "It's Sephiroth, but-" from there on
It's funny you say that, since Ultimecia's plan is more related to Garland's than Sephiroth's.

At least Ultimecia has some kind of presence in the game since Disc 1 through Edea. Her motives are saturday morning cartoon villain tier and it could've have been better. Much better in fact but at least she doesn't show up out of nowhere at the end of the game. The only thing Square has ever said about Necron is that it's "a being awakened by Kuja's fear, despair, and hatred, which called out to it as he learned of his mortality, just as his ambitions were within reach."

If you have any form of damage output you only hear all the final themes for VIII for a few seconds except The Extreme because of the forced dialogue at the end.

>I, Ultimecia, will knock you all down!!
>Whatever.

>Her motives are saturday morning cartoon villain tier
I feel like she gets a worse reputation in this regard than she deserves. She wasn't just trying to attain power and conquer the world. She was literally trying to prevent her predetermined fate. Now how she knew that she would die at the hands of a legendary SeeD, I'm not sure, but that was her end goal, to escape her fate. Unfortunately she inadvertently created a self fulfilling prophecy when she decided that using time.compression was the best course of action.

If the remaster had these, it would've been 10/10

It is honestly the best head canon, and makes the story even better. I think Square half hearted regrets debunking it, as they've made a lot of references to the idea with Dissidia and other side games

You can always make Squall getting killed by SeeD (for whatever reason) make her reason for going bonkers and make her hate SeeD even more, even if in the far future she's long forgotten why.

Just make Final Fantasy XVI have the main villain be the heroine from the future.

youtu.be/MhVni_JtZeI

It's easier than that. At some point she realized that she was going to become the sorceress that they fought on that day. She knows that SeeD will destroy her and begins trying to find a way to escape that fate. The use of GF cause her to slowly forget the exact events, but the concept of trying to prevent her fated death at the hands of SeeD was always an active fear, so she carried it with her until she finally discovered Time Compression.

Attached: Squall kills Ultimecia 03f5abfa7a85085753fe92dbd8785354-edit.jpg (1600x2000, 1.69M)

Honestly that would make her a better mirror for Squall rather than Rinoa

Always liked her final form design. The bottom half was also blatant inspiration for Anima's Overdrive.

It's hard to notice in-game but the battlefield is actually inside her cloak, which wraps around the entire battlefield because she's now the focal point of all existence.

>cloud of darkness
>zeromus
>neo exdeath
>ultimecia
>necron
>that guy from 10
They're pretty much all literal whos

Based Kefka dabbing on final boss out of nowhere.

There are a few things 10 "borrowed" from 8:
>Ultimecia's final form design: Anima's design
>Sorceresses needing Knights: Summoners needing Guardians
>Ultimecia being Rinoa: Sin being Jecht
>Hyne: Yu Yevon

How are Hyne and Yu Yevon similar?

Zeromus had indirect presence in his game as the one that manipulated most of the events to make the moon great again. Yu yevon was the figurehead of a religion in the entire game. The true shame is that it had no character at all. All we knew is that the cult revolve around maintaining a cycle of inmortality like Chaos in FF1. Exdeath was a present force in the entire game. Basically a collection of evil fueled by nothingness.

>Zeromus had indirect presence in his game as the one that manipulated most of the events to make the moon great again
You could make that exact same argument about Cloud of Darkness and Ultimecia

Ultimecia sure. Cloud of Darkness no. It was Xandex most of the time.

Superior antagonist theme coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=K2KcpAz7bRM

Attached: Ugh, I'm gonna die anyway.jpg (367x257, 33K)

Xande was in turn being controlled by Cloud of Darkness, game straight up states it.

manipulated*. Not the same mind control Zeromus had with Golbez

In the sense that Yu Yevon is the creature behind everything in FFX, he's basically the source for all of the problems in their world. Hyne is the source of the power in sorceresses. Without Hyne, there would be no sorceresses.

These look terrible. They look like watercolor.

Hard to say either way since we only see Xande for about 5 seconds as well. But regardless, still means that CoD had an indirect presence.

The thing is, with this and FFIV, it feels like something that was just tacked on at the end of the game. Saying that "actually this guy you never met before and had no reason to believe existed was actually manipulating everything the whole time!" doesn't give any more weight to the villain or prior events than had that not been said. Though IV at least had the excuse that it was wanting to whitewash Golbez.

But Hyne didn't intend for sorceresses to be evil beings. Yu Yevon fully intended to create a system of worship that makes him immortal and prevents civilization from advancing to a point where his relgion would be forgotten by killing off entire settlements. Hyne just wanted to not be murdered and thought that women needed a means to protect themselves more than men.

why Squall have a hole in his head too ?

Attached: 254115125615641560.png (1280x800, 468K)

then why is she returned to her former self to pass on her power to matron and complete the loop? She didn't have to sacrifice her former self inside Time Compression since she can just revert to her Sorceress form to pass her soul onto Matron and get another shot at the loop, not knowing she will always rise to power and then die to SeeD in the end.

>He realized he had just killed Rinoa in the final battle.
Rinoa being Ultimecia was already confirmed non-canon by word of god, try again.

Did Yu Yevon actually strive for that consciously, or did he just become an empty shell who forgot the original reasons for his actions and kept doing what he used to do just for the sake of it?

Attached: 0eb75a961d212d0fd63306b805fc862b-edit.png (974x1420, 1.78M)

Its not a bad fight, kinda reminds me of FFVI’s multi stage final fight. Just wish time Compression made sense. Adel should have been the main villian, honestly.

If Zidane didn't have his "heroic BSOD" moment his arc would be kind of boring, honestly.

It's not handled particularly well but the trip to Terra would have been a whole lot duller without that sequence. It just need a much better explanation. Garland's plan was kind of shit.

It's been a while since I played X, but I think that he set it up like that on purpose. Now whether he is still conscious in there by the time the story takes place, I'm not sure.

We will never know. All we know of him is true his actions and followers.

>Hyne just wanted to not be murdered
Yeah but he wanted to destroy humanity also, or most of it anyway.

No complaints here

FFVIII had the best music in the series
youtube.com/watch?v=1-_Did76LXQ

Rinoa Zell best party

I've never had a problem with how Necron was introduced. He was a being which existed in a realm outside of the material or immaterial, and Kuja trying to allah-ackbar the source of all existence kinda 'pinged' Necron to see what the deal was, and its conclusion was "Oh, humans are ready for life to end, this being near the crystal is giving off overwhelmingly suicidal vibes, it must be time to end existence"

it is a completely neutral entity that just got tricked into thinking "okay time to wake up and return reality to zero sum limbo"

Well, from his scope, he was just discarding excess tools. It wasn't malevolent, because he didn't see his creations as higher life. Which is why he was confused why the bigger ones got so upset when he got rid of the little, less useful ones.

FFVIII had a lot of nice things but the gameplay completely ruined it for me. I want to play it again but at the same time I can't remember a single battle that was actually enjoyable to fight. With proper junctions the game is effortless as you can win by just spamming attack, and without junctions you can still win by spamming attack. Is there a mod or a challenge run that fixes it?

You only need to play cards for about an hour or so to get 100 Tornado and Blizzaga at the start of the game.

I played cards for weapon materials because I tried to keep my levels low and you can't get hardly any high end weapon materials from level 20 monsters

Hey. I am the user who upscaled those (it was done with AI Gigapixel but I don't remember which settings). I know they look bad (not terrible, considering the source), but they are about as good as it's possible to make them look.

Here are the source images (from the PC version - which btw has the same resolution of backgrounds as the PSX version) so you can try doing a better job. You might get them to look better, but I doubt it. Keep in mind the true maximum Gigapixel is capable of is 4x. The 6x option is fake, it's simply 4x upsized.

The first one (the road to the throne room) was not only processed with Gigapixel AI, it was also edited a bit in Photoshop.

Attached: feroad2.png (320x224, 66K)

Only weapon that really matters is Lionheart for the additional limits as the stat benefit isn’t really noticeable enough in general, but the upgrades do look cooler

Attached: fewor2.png (320x448, 186K)

Play the game

Attached: fehall1.png (576x448, 276K)

Attached: fewater2.png (384x288, 140K)

Doing just a simple upsize of backgrounds looks both worse and better than AI upscaling. When you only upsize, the pic is free from the strange artifacts which AI upscaling introduces (artifacts which sometimes can be very noticeable), so it's more true to the original pic but the result is of course very blurry and for that reason unpleasant to look at.

For many of the FF8 backgrounds it's tricky to AI upscale them because not only are they very low res but they also have some sort of noise present in them in some areas - that noise looks bad when AI upscaled. You can try to kill that noise with a "supress noise" function like in AI Gigapixel but when you do that the pic tends to lose details, so you have to find some balance.

>(this pic is of course AI upscaled, not just upsized)

Attached: bgkote_3-edit4x SN0.5 RB1.jpg (1920x1472, 3.19M)

>orig res

Attached: bgkote_3.png (480x368, 237K)

>Yu Yevon fully intended to create a system of worship that makes him immortal and prevents civilization from advancing to a point where his relgion would be forgotten by killing off entire settlements.
Yu Yevon did not intend that at all.
It was actually his daughter Yunalesca who set up almost everything.
>Maechen: Shall I tell you about the Spira of days long past, eh?

>Maechen: There is a legend, you know. Just before the horrible Sin appeared…a terrible war raged between Bevelle and Zanarkand. When the armies of Bevelle attacked Mount Gagazet, they heard a song echoing across the snowy slopes. “‘Tis a song from an otherworld,” they said. The soldiers panicked and ran. And then, as if to pursue the retreating armies, Sin appeared! Some time later, scouts from Bevelle braved the mountain. >On the other side, they witnessed the ruins that had been Zanarkand. The city destroyed. Not a single soul left standing. Gone! In its place, a multitude of the fayth had gathered on Gagazet. They were singing a song. It’s the song we now call the “Hymn of the Fayth.”
>Maechen: Rumors flew in Bevelle about Sin’s sudden appearance. They said that the people of Zanarkand became the fayth, that they had called Sin. And that the man responsible…was none other than the summoner Yevon, ruler of Zanarkand! Yes, the lord father of Lady Yunalesca. On the eve of Zanarkand’s destruction, Lady Yunalesca… had fled to safety with her husband, Zaon. Later, the two used the Final Summoning to defeat Sin. Yet the people of Bevelle still feared Yu Yevon. It was to quell his wrath that they revered him, and first spread his teachings. And so were born the temples of Yevon. I suppose it’s possible Yunalesca had planned it that way from the start! A fair trade, she defeats Sin in exchange for her lord father’s honor. Of course, there’s no proof. No, the facts are lost in the mists of time.

Attached: ''Where I Belong''.jpg (2800x4800, 1.61M)

Because learning how they were all at the orphanage really blew his mind