Put on hdr

>put on hdr
>everything looks washed out like I’m looking at it through smog

Is hdr for gaming a meme?

Attached: BFFCD159-6D55-49AE-8887-5C85851A262A.jpg (1920x1080, 439K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V8BVTHxc4LM
youtu.be/oi_ojpJ3aws
displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/5cf84f2ce
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

HDR doesn't look washed out, your own picture points out that it's showing more info.

You need a capable HDR screen first. Also HDR is a meme on current consoles, only PC can do it correctly.

When we're talking about gaming hdr like in hl2 lost coast or oblivion its about highlighting dark areas and darkening bright ones, to simulate eyesight properties.
TV HDR is not just a meme, but marketing ploy, its not really hdr.

>demonstrating hdr with a non-hdr image on a non-hdr display

I never understood this. You can achieve ""HDR"" with displaying the game in fullbright without any lighting. What's the point of HDR?
How can a screen be HDR? A screen displays what is fed to it. I smell a scam here.

>You need a capable HDR screen first.
I went through 2 sets and this happened. 2 Samsung q8s. Image looked better in sdr using an Xbox one x

Because no game has true HDR yet, even worse no dev supports PC HDR since only like 10 Monitors support it and even then they are all paired back
They admitted that since you sit so close to computer monitors they tone down what you can adjust on the monitor itself because they "dont want you hurting your eyes"

PC HDR implementation is kind of bugged (Nvidia cards).

First things first - enable HDR in Windows 10 (settings -> display); then go to NVIDIA control panel and change the refresh rate or resolution (4K - 1080p and back to 4K) - your TV should report HDR again and the colors should not be washed out.

This is a case for me with 1080 GTX; in games like DMC5 i.e. I change the refresh rate in game's options back and forth - once it's back to say 60hz, colors pop again.

Then calibrate your TV (4:4:4 has different color range) - saturate the picture (tv settings) a bit more, ENABLE dynamic contrasts for HDR and the likes.

Gaming in 4K/QHD in HDR is beyond gorgeous.

DMC5 / Forza Horizon / Gears of War 5 / AC:Oddyssey/Origins all look all kinds of better in HDR.

HDR off

Attached: 20190219213601_1.jpg (3840x2160, 320K)

HDR on.

Attached: 20190219213546_1.jpg (3840x2160, 349K)

>I smell a scam here.
You are just retarded

You're retarded.

Idiot

Why is he an idiot

True HDR from my understanding requires a display that can uniformly perform at 1000 cd/m^2, at least for HDR 1000 which is where there is a real noticeable effect on the image. Anything below that is snake oil, and screens that have a uniform 1000 cm/m^2 brightness are either OLED panels or expensive LCD panels that have really fucking good LED back-panel systems.

Technically any screen can be considered HDR if it accepts an HDR signal. So it is a marketing gimmick unless the screen has the uniform backlighting and brightness to actually make use of HDR.

>everything looks washed out like I’m looking at it through smog

your shit is misconfigured.

the problem lies in brightness.
all nice and dandy you can make portions of the image so bright as to hurt your eyes. i rather keep the same sdr brightness and have black be absolute black. hdr seems for daylight screens/gaming, normies.

>Samsung q8

not oled, can't do hdr.

Leds are brighter than oleds

>hdr display peak white value is higher than sdr display because the brightness range is higher
>hdr picture brightness is compensated for this
>HURR WHY PICTURE LOOK BRIGHT

uuhhh sure if you really want to think that, whatever, but only oled screens can do hdr

Hdr and oled has so much latency it's not worth it for gaming and o ly really worth it for movies but huge deminishing returns

A decent projector would blow these panels out of the water anyway

>browsing Yea Forums in HDR
>the replies burn my eyes

OLEDS are by definition an LED you dolt. That being said yes there are LED-backlit LCD panels that are brighter than OLED's but the amount of LEDs used and the power used to produce that much brightness makes is miles ahead of an OLED panel.

>Hdr and oled has so much latency it's not worth it for gaming

Nah not whatsoever. 21ms on my oled.

>Try battlefront 2 on new HDR monitor
>Takes a fucking age to enable HDR whenever it loads
>ANY alt tabbing or escaping the window immediately toggles it unless I want to leave it on 24/7

Game's shit anyway, but it's pretty annoying.

A lot of games fake it by manipulating SDR. RDR2 and Fallout 76 do this, and both look washed out. Rockstar patched RDR2, but the colors still don't pop they way they do with it turned off. Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, on the other hand, both look great in HDR. I don't know whether those are faked, but whatever they did shows a noticeable improvement.

an example of HDR:
you have an image, there are black parts and moderately lit parts, then there's a fire

now imagine in real life that fire is much much brighter than everything else, a hdr display should be able to show how much brighter that fire is compared to the other things in the scene

I guess it's basically just achieving a high contrast between the darkest and brightest a display can show

The fact that windows 10 doesnt have built in HDR settings is fucking crazy, all you can do is turn it on or off, and adjust non HDR content.

>Demonstrating your retardation

>The fact that windows 10 doesnt have built in HDR settings is fucking crazy

why would it have a full suite of built in HDR settings when there are 3 competing HDR standards

that's why HDR sucks right now. Wait for someone to win. Should be within a year or so.

Shadow has a weird bug if where its ingame HDR option conflicts with the Windows 10 HDR settings and causes it to turn gray

>all these replies
yeah...im thinking hdr is a meme

My monitor is HDR capable (samsung CH32G70) but its implementation is so shitty the few times i used it the image quality was worse than SDR but with 350cd/m2 it's not surprising.

Oh, I'm referring to the console version. Xbox One X.

Onky a few games look better with hdr

ratchet and clank and the witness look godly with hdr because it pops all the colors.

However in dark games hdr often makes darkness gray and that looks like shit

Top looks better

It's only a meme if you've got shit hardware that isn't at least 600-1000cd/m2 in terms of brightness or shit software considering there is no set standard in place.

hdr is a waste of time until microled tvs/monitors start coming out. also anything under 1000 nits isn't hdr and fuck poorfags who buy into the "hdr400" meme.

>less contrast = washed out
This is the thought process of a pleb who has no idea what they should be looking for. HDR controls shadows and highlights to present an image with much more depth. Even if you dont have an HDR panel, you can tell this by looking at the blacks.The right side isn't less saturated - it's just controlled. Instead of flat/crushed blacks, you get something a lot more realistic. People brains are so hardwired to the high-contrast look that anything even remotely realistic gets associated with washed out. As I said, once you understand what to look for, you really can't go back.

>However in dark games hdr often makes darkness gray

that is literally the opposite of what HDR does

how much does hdr pay you shill?

Wow look at that I'm seeing HDR on my simple RGB screen, guess I don't need and HDR screen after all

He’s not wrong though. It happens to me a lot. The entire panel turns into this grayish cloud when switched onto HDR

No it is fhe opposite what hdr should do, in games with badly implemented hdr (the majority) it makes dark areas grayish

I don't see any difference on games.
PS4 sony 900f
On fucking nerflix shows it actually can look great

this
Basically if 0% is black and 100% is pure white, HDR goes past 100% to show you how bright it can really get

You get a lot more information in the signal
Of course if you display a HDR image on a screen youre going to get a lot of grey middle values because youre basically looking at an image with lots of information in the middle area and its being unfairly compressed

Attached: ScreenShot09-23-2019002.png (1476x594, 25K)

BRO LOOK AT ALL THIS DEPTH WOWWWWW

Attached: A7AC01AE-5567-44D2-A120-D52C32395EB0.jpg (1600x1600, 143K)

Hey retard, configure your screen properly

Read

HDR is shit. TV's/monitors and video content should natively be created to showcase as many dark and light details as it wants without some special meme-standard making everything a more complicated mess. Not only that but there are literally like 4 or 5 completely different HDR standards owned by different companies that only certain models of TV/monitor can "see", it's obviously a crock of shit that retards will pay more for and eat up.

Attached: 1561614493439.webm (398x720, 1.98M)

Dolby Vision is the superior format, just bought a TV with it and movies look noticeably better than in HDR10, colors are much richer.

I'm not an HDR fan, but neither HDR nor OLED inherently cause lag. HDR at worst adds 1-3ms and OLEDS usually have lower input lag than LCDs.

That's horsehit for gaming where the average panel is 5ms or less
Wrong it does cause significant lag and most oleds top out at 60hz

Your garbage "4k" panel you paid 300 dollars for can't display HDR properly that's why it looks washed out. I don't care if it has the HDR logo on the box and says its supported its just accepting the signal but can't display it properly.
Fuck Amazon for litterally lying.

>saturation boosted 15%, blacks crushed by 5%, and color temp gets cooler
>"Wow! This Dolby Vision brand of """""HDR""""" is way better than this other arbitrary standard of """"""HDR"""""""

Attached: 1568766838838.gif (282x354, 1.17M)

>most oleds top out at 60hz
No shit, but what does that have to do with anything you claimed or I said? Also no, go to RTINGs and look up any 4K TV review, HDR at most ads 1-3ms and usually ads 0.5 or less or none.

Attached: LG C8 2018.png (871x689, 116K)

not him but it impact response time because it takes longer to switch the pixels off if they're brighter

I haven't followed this exchange much, just gonna note that the input lags in that image are AWFUL. over a whole frame of input lag (21 ms) is garbage and some of these screens are even worse than that? not usable for gaming.

maybe it's testing how fast it takes to see what happens on the screen when a button is pressed, that would inherently have a frame of delay and then some, just judging from the bottom of that text where they say it's very good

It’s more than fine if you don’t give a shit about competitive multiplayer games.

HDR telly owner, its not a meme unless you have shit devs.

>The entire panel turns into this grayish cloud when switched onto HDR

yes..which is caused by misconfiguration..is that not obvious?

it's fine if you play on a controller. if you move the camera with the mouse it will feel bad.

yeah bro, i cant play all those single player games on my tv with 20ms input lag. oh lord, 20ms. it's the end of the world

i mean i could bet money that you couldnt perceive the difference between 5ms and 20ms and i would be right but whatever

Legit if you're getting a washed out image you have a shit TV. A washed out image means your TV is just turning the whites on pixels up so the greyscale inscreases giving you a brighter image. A decent HDR set uses a backlight to do this so the pixels colours aren't affected by over bearing whites. I have a Samsung KS8000 and HDR looks phenomenal.

Attached: infamousresize.jpg (3840x2160, 1.25M)

Only online competitive FPS would be potentially effected by 21ms input lag w/ vsync, also why the fuck would a competitive player be playing on a TV w/ vsync anyways? Also note that this 21ms is at a locked 60fps when they test. If you were playing a game at 200fps on this TV the input lag would be like a quarter of that or less with vsync turned off. Of course a monitor even of the same 60hz spec is slightly faster but that's not the point. The point is having good image quality, and no monitor on earth comes anywhere close to looking as good as an OLED TV. Monitors have absolutely terrible black uniformity across the board and just bad black levels in general.

It feels worse than bad the screen literally smears and anything over 30fps is basically useless for those slow ass TV's and hdr panels
It's also why big format displays are taking off trying to push response times down for gaming and movie watching.

I wish we had 60 120 240hz movies as well as slowmo and action scenes look like a blurred mess

>Samsung KS8000 and HDR looks phenomenal.

hahahah your set cant even really do hdr man its not oled

>black uniformity
Grey uniformity is the issue for me. When I'm close to most monitors I can immediately see vertical or horizontal banding.

>doesn't know the difference between input lag and response time
>is still posting

you kids are so hopeless

i played competitive quake 3 for money in the 2000s on an LCD with 20ms input lag but that means its UNPALYABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for you to play some horrible bullshit like battlefield or cod on hahahahahah get fucking lost

How's your shitty 650nits at best peak brightness for double the price? :^)

action scenes are smeared on purpose to hide CGI. you could force them to use a 240 Hz camera and encode in 120 Hz and they would still find a way to shake the camera and cut so quickly that you end up not seeing anything during action scenes. action is dead since the early 2000s.

Hate to break it to you but 21ms of latency is good for a flat panel display in real world usage tests. And yes I know that's more then 1 frame in 60 fps (16.6 ms).
All marketing about 1-5 ms response time from manufacturers is about the controller switching the panel and also its usually gray to gray which is fast then white to black, etc. Its a huge amount of marketing lies. Real world usage for most flat panels are from 20-90ms.

hows your non oled colors

Oh look another 60fps 1080p budget gamer console moron.
And yes I can there is a big difference between 5ms monitors and 20-100ms+ TV's
Get a non shit gpu and screen then come back and look at your shit.
I only have a 100hz 7ms panel and it was a huge upgrade over 20ms 60hz hence why I said that slow response rate is useless for gaming
Now excuse me I need to fap again
Quake 3 barely ran at 60fps
Now we have games at 120 240fps and beyond

Stupid dumb boomer
T. Virgin 29 year old doomer
I'm well aware of shutter speed and motion blur.

Shame hfr didn't take off

Attached: 1569123112676.jpg (400x400, 13K)

You have to pay a premium on monitors to avoid that. Which is funny considering the smaller the screen the less banding there should be. My friend has this ASUS ROG 1440p 144Hz monitor and it looks horrendous when he pans over skies or ground, super noticable.

Many games color palettes are designed for sdr since hdr is not super prevalent yet. Then they try to implement a half assed hdr and it looks jank. The best case of hdr in a game I've seen is Spiderman for PS4, the worst undoubtedly being red dead 2, that shit looks like trash.

Who the fuck plays at 60fps 16ms anymore? I moved on from that years ago
Go from a 120hz monitor back down to 60 and it feels like it's stuck in glue it's very unresponsive.

So many 30fps poorfag consolesois in here

It's fine for movies but not optimal

Is there any way to have the sharper sunset and the darker shadows? Would be kino

>if you move the camera with the mouse it will feel bad.

Only if you have VSYNC turned on in which case in double buffer you get like 40ms lag and triple buffer you get 60ms. Anything over 30-35ms is when it starts to get noticeable.

In reality at best people can notice increments of about 15ms of input delay and a TV with 30ms or less input lag is fine for non-competitive games and playing FPS shooters casually and still being able to do good without there being any real detriment to your aim.

I'd say Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the best HDR I've seen. Running from the Xbox One X. Gears 5 looks pretty good too.

>Get a non shit gpu and screen then come back and look at your shit.

I have a 1070 TI, an acer predator 144hz 27 inch IPS as my computer monitor, an LG C7 55" OLED and I own no console...i think youre confused little buddy

>Quake 3 barely ran at 60fps
hahahh what?? wtf are you talking about? no understanding of anything you are speaking about par for the course

go ahead and keep telling yourself that 13ms or whatever made a huge difference to you, as im sure your keyboard and mouse and chair and energy drink choice did...i would prob still destroy you at your favorite game without having played it

GT Sport and Sea of Thieves are the best imo. I think Infamous works great with the neon powers but everything else is barely noticeable.

I had an HDR TV before I moved to another country and I honestly don't miss it. It could look nice, depending on the game, but it ain't anything life-changing.

I'll be honest I tried Sea of Thieves but I found it boring as fuck so I didn't spend time with it. Were you able to get into it at all?

I haven't played GT Sport since the beta, I don't remember if it had HDR.

Your monitor is shit, or the devs have fucked up the hdr

YOU CANNOT SHOW OFF HDR WITH FUCKING SCREENSHOTS
YALL RETARDS GONNA GIVE ME A FUCKING STROKE

Trash I have a 2080ti and it gets over 100fps minimum and under 7ms at all times

1v1 me in siege bitch

hahahah 1v1 me in quake 3 an actual 1v1 game, i havent even played in like 10 years and im almost 40

or do you have to hide behind your little peeking out from holes in walls game? :)

>hahahah 1v1 me in quake 3 an actual 1v1 game, i havent even played in like 10 years and im almost 40
28 here hahaha gen x confirmed salt
>or do you have to hide behind your little peeking out from holes in walls game? :)
Why don't I put a hole in your wall and get your wife to take my virginity faggot mmmmmm

Attached: 3019582 - Ganassa Gridlock Tom_Clancy's_Rainbow_Six Tom_Clancy's_Rainbow_Six_Siege Tori_Ta (848x1200, 631K)

Monitors almost always have great Gray Uniformity though so I'm not sure what you mean? TV's usually have bad Gray Uniformity unless you get lucky with the panel lottery.

yeah reminder that youre playing a game that bans you for saying fag and forces you to be in a game with fat 300lb women "Special forces"

i quit that garbage ass game when they added an operator that is literally just wallhack, wow such advanced thoughtful game design

Wallhack?
My mains fine and I say Niger in chat every day tk and act like a tard

Besides quake 3 is dogshit Ut99 is where it's at nigguh

Monitors actually almost always have good gray uniformity, I'll give them that, but they have atrocious blacks. Imagine trying to enjoy looking at anything on these $400+ Gaymer monitors. You'd have to have a spotlight shining directly at your screen just to not notice how shit the backlights are.

Attached: GAYMERGEAR.jpg (1852x696, 121K)

k, that dosn't fucking change anything user. You're still going to have the 20-80ms of real world latency regardless of FPS, I was just stating that it would be even at a minimum more latency time then the time span of 1 frame, on a 120+ FPS panel that means you've got minimum 2-3 frames of lag.

>k, that dosn't fucking change anything user. You're still going to have the 20-80ms of real world latency regardless of FPS,
No I am talking about panel lag spesifiically max lag is around 10ms these days from your keypress to the game to the monitor these days
Some screens get 5ms and mine gets around 7ms (non g2g)
>I was just stating that it would be even at a minimum more latency time then the time span of 1 frame, on a 120+ FPS panel that means you've got minimum 2-3 frames of lag.
So? Not relevant as 5ms is faster than 20ms+ garbage u TV Gayass faggots are trying to justify

This is what you get for embracing the shit technology that is IPS
I still use TN panels because of this

>(non g2g)

input
lag
and
response
time
is
not
the
same
thing

you are SO invested in this and you don't even UNDERSTAND THE BASICS OF WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT

oled has a gray to gray time of like 0.1ms you fucking retard

>I still use TN panels because of this

no, you still use TN panels because you're broke.

I hated SoT. GT Sport always had HDR, it has a fantastic set up for it too.

Wasting money is not a virtue btw

phrasing weakness as superiority is not a virtue either

What weakness?
Bad colors? We are playing games, not masturbating to photos

Uhuh keep getting stuck in semantics mate fact is your oled 60hz 20ms shit isn't good enough
4k flopped

>IPS has backlight bleed
>TN has shitty colours and viewing angles
>VA has slow transition to blacks which cause smearing
What the fuck do I even buy then?

Attached: 1540167114124.png (1680x841, 1.38M)

OLED TV

>"Bro "__"ms is so slow, I couldn't even play a visual novel with all that input lag"
>mfw your reaction time to high contrast visual stimuli is most likely well over 150ms
>mfw niggers ITT acting like an extra 10-20ms is night and day in their online bang bang shooty games that in total are already beyond 150ms behind the render pipeline

Attached: 132252452.png (804x538, 21K)

uh maybe you're not masturbating to photos

burns in.

as an oled owner who has had my panel replaced less than 6 months into owning it, *do not buy oled for gaming yet* it has burn in issues

QLED then

C
R
T

Attached: shhhhh.png (1020x694, 863K)

>QLED

it's just LED with a fake marketing name.

my IPS is extremely good. the backlight bleed or whatever is not something I ever, ever notice.

Attached: mmr losing station.jpg (3000x2363, 2.74M)

>If it's not black as the night it's washed out

Sure it is just a marketing name, but Samsung still makes the best LEDs on the market

>Uhuh keep getting stuck in semantics mate
Retard, response time is the time the controller takes to switch the pixel, does not take processing, post-processing, etc, in to account
Latency is the time span that it takes for the image from your computer to be rendered on the screen, so this does take post processing on the monitor in to account and the added time from all of that. Its a much more accurate measurement.
We keep telling you that you're mixing up the two

Hopefully micro led one day.

It's a meme, absolutely pointless. Good design won't need it, it won't save shitty design.
Keep your money and ACQUIRE CLAY

they're all so close together that it really really does not matter

This game got slammed for shitty hdr.
Try sea of thieves. Hdr is night and day with that title

HDR only works on top of the line TVs with thousands of FALD zones or better still OLED with literally millions
the color space benefits are a meme, but the contrast benefits have to be seen to be believed
tl;dr if ur a poorfag it won't look good
p.s. it doesn't work properly in RDR2 because rockstar is retarded

>>IPS has backlight bleed
The haloing and horrible banding smearing in blacks as well
>>TN has shitty colours and viewing angles
Sadly the only panels that can do 200hz+ reliably
>>VA has slow transition to blacks which cause smearing
Va is fine
>What the fuck do I even buy then?
Definitely not ips or tn
Dude it's like 10ms fuck off

Only TN panels can give me that early 2000s nostalgia feeling

>Dude it's like 10ms fuck off
Backtracking and treating it like it dosn't matter when you started this shit to begin with. Jesus christ.

I think 2 out of those 6 are IPS the rest are TN/VA. ALL monitor types save for OLED have horrendous backlight problems. Go to RTINGs and sort monitors by black uniformity, more than half the monitors there have under a 5/10 rating in black uniformity.

Monitor hdr is a meme at this point.
And for good hdr you need at least a 2k tv.
Sorry you poor fags are getting meme'd in getting the shit version. Monitors and cheap tvs support the hdr file, but cant really display it correctly.

PRRRTTTBTBRBBRBRBRBRTTPTTOTO RRRTTTT FFFFFFF FFFFFUUUUCKKKKK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (PLOP)

Attached: 1568725544722.jpg (362x563, 48K)

try playing on a CRT bro :^)
youtube.com/watch?v=V8BVTHxc4LM

and they ALL have bad blacks. there is only one answer: CRT.
if you have the desk space and can find a heavy, big ass CRT over 19 inches that still works that's the solution (for video games). personally, I don't want to deal with it when I move places soon so I'm just waiting for better tech that hopefully eventually comes and sticking to my 248QE like so many.

>there is only one answer: CRT.

CRTs are garbage. you worship them because you never really used them in their hayday so you don't know about things like electron guns going on, the screen literally never being 1:1 straight on any monitor no matter how much you adjust it, having tiny color smudges at the corner of screens, etc

IPS are fine. Things don't have to be perfect to be exceptional

There are good examples of all monitor types, there's a 2017/2018 Dell TN I forget the model but it looks nearly as good in color as IPS and the viewing angles are really improved for TN. For IPS there are plenty of 60hz $200+ range Dell and HP's that have very low BLB and great overall image. With VA's you pretty much have 90% of TV's which have drastically better contrast than monitors and excellent black uniformity across the board. The issue is that your average monitor is complete shit and you have to really dive into reviews from people that know what they're talking about to find the 1 out of 10 that doesn't look like garbage.

going out*

motion looks like shit on IPS compared to TN and I'm already not happy with how it looks on TN. IPS are blurry and their motion is only good enough for meme "games" like console slosh running at 30 fps. also bad blacks. the best black levels I know on a modern screen are on my old TN panel with a glossy screen. glossy screens are underrated and were discontinued unfairly.

>The issue is that your average monitor is complete shit and you have to really dive into reviews from people that know what they're talking about to find the 1 out of 10 that doesn't look like garbage.

No, the issue is that you fetishize objective perfection like you fetishize numbers. You want everything to be a 10 or a 100%. To call today's monitors "garbage"...Jesus fuck, you obviously never saw a 2000 era LCD.

All this pretentious discernment so you can then go play wow or emulated vita games or something.

>IPS are blurry and their motion is only good enough for meme "games" like console slosh running at 30 fps

ah, coulda fooled me, motion looks pretty good at 165hz on my ips

>has never seen an oled screen
yeah you're the person to talk to about displays alright

Consult an Ophthalmologist

Ive got a QLED and it gets pretty close desu, blacks arent as low but side by side i struggled to notice a difference overall

your qled is not close to oled, it's just not

i wish i could give you guys a portal in my room and show you infinity war or odyssey or something on oled hdr right now. actually i just got spooderman, that should be great with all the heavy colors

You need an IPS monitor to enjoy HDR for real

>Yea Forums retards doesn't understand hdr
Just another day. I'm gonna let you in thought, it's about the contrast ratio.

Attached: 1569200038856.webm (720x404, 2.92M)

>i'm the only person whos ever seen an OLED HDR panel
it is bud, i have an LG OLED from last year as well, and while the LG still edges it out, the QLED still comes really close. Obviously black levels arent as good but it really is an outstanding picture, and they dont burn in

no, late to the party user, you need OLED to enjoy HDR at all

IPS cannot display HDR. No non-OLED tech can display HDR

lg shill

>actually defending this and thinking it's fine

How is that "fetishizing"? This pic is literally more than half of modern monitors give or take. I'm sorry I don't want complete shit image quality on my main display that I'd be paying hundreds for. QC on monitors is fucking terrible, it took me going through a 144hz AOC, two different 75hz HP's, two 144hz MSI's, one 144hz ASUS that was horrendous, a Viewsonic, a Dell, and then finally a regular plain ass 1080p60hz Dell IPS that actually didn't have eye searing backlight issues.

Attached: rog-pg348q-uniformity-large.jpg (3840x1608, 904K)

>No non-OLED tech can display HDR
CRT
SED/FED
Quantum dot
MicroLED

>CRT
cannot connect to source
>SED/FED
not a consumer display technology that is in discussion and appropriate for our uses
>quantum dot
cannot display HDR. Just a fancy word for LED backlight.
>microled
not purchaseable technology, does not exist at consumer level

so here are your choices:
OLED

I'm fine with my IPS monitor. It's got backbleed and it's not ideal, I'm not gonna sit here and cope and pretend it's the greatest piece of technology ever. BUT, I'll take the flaws of IPS over the flaws of TN any fucking day. The colors and viewing angles are absolute god tier, doesn't matter how I sit in my chair, I always have a beautifully clear image on my screen.

But yeah, it's less than ideal for horror games or dark scenes in movies, but I filtered that out after a month of use anyways.

HDR is just a standard, you know that right, its not some crazy technology is just a set of specifications that say "this display is capable of this range of values" OLED is old fucking news man, why would i want something thats gonna burn in after a year or two of heavy use when i can buy a QLED and get the same if not better performance overall and not have to worry about accidentally leaving my tv on and destroying it

Question for people. What brightness settings do you use? I can make my monitor look a lot better if I bring up the brightness and contrast, but the fatigue on my eyes is fucking killer so it's just not worth it. I have to live with a slightly dimmed monitor if I wanna be able to stare at it for hours at a time without getting runny eyes.

Do you guys do the same?

Sekiro’s HDR settings do this. Has anybody experienced this before? Really ugly.

That is how light works you idiot
You have to be in a cave to get massive dark shadows

>not have to worry about accidentally leaving my tv on and destroying it

oled burn in isn't anything like that. you need hundreds of hours with the same thing displayed

oh, so like running windows desktop on the monitor for less than a year?

Why don't you have an OLED?

Attached: 18939162335.jpg (648x1176, 123K)

Obviously, i was exaggerating, but burn in is still an issue OLED has that QLED does not

Ghosting is another, i really could go on

>All TVs are really good nowadays
>anyone with a working pair of eyes sees little reason to switch to a new one
>manufacturers have to massively overrate minor features like hdr to push more units

You sure were talking about the same thing? It looks like snot covers the screen and all colors are washed out

You need to calibrate it properly.

yeah.

you don't use TVs for monitors user. You use monitors for monitors.

stop saying "qled". It's LED. that's just brand cocksucking to use made up marketing terms.

>cannot connect to source
Git gud.
>not a consumer display technology
Moving goalposts. You said "No technology other than OLED can display HDR", eat your humble pie.
>cannot display HDR
Yes it can.
>Just a fancy word for LED backlight.
You're conflating Quantum Dot with QLED.
>not purchaseable technology
moving goalposts again, and this time you're wrong. MicroLED has been in the wild for a year and was made available for the public this year.

Why are you OLED shills always such rabid foamers?

>but the fatigue on my eyes is fucking killer so it's just not worth it

Use BIAS lighting. Seriously. All it means is have a bright light source behind your monitor so that your eyes aren't getting raped by only absorbing all that monitor blue light in an otherwise dark room. This will also boost perceived contrast, it actually makes your picture look better slightly.

Attached: MwzjKMY.jpg (3911x2610, 1.79M)

>stop saying "qled". It's LED. that's just brand cocksucking to use made up marketing terms.

You clearly have no idea what youre talking about

>watch the same TV or youtube channel regularly
>logo burns in in a matter of months
wooooooow

the monitor or tv you have uses poor HDR processing.

>You're conflating Quantum Dot with QLED.

yes i'm conflating them because they are literally the same thing user

okay, link me the purchase page for microled monitor.

If we are talking TVs, no. Sony has the best color accuracy and processing of any manufacturer out there for LCD-LEDs. For OLED, I would choose LG.

Why isn't 10 bit color output the standard yet?

Would you guys agree with this video? What games would you add?
youtu.be/oi_ojpJ3aws

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 212K)

Average human reacts to visual stimulation in .25 seconds my dude. That's 250ms.

>yes i'm conflating them because they are literally the same thing user
They are not.
Quantum Dot is an emissive display technology, especially formulated dots emit specific wavelengths of colored light when energized.
QLED is a cheap gimmick that uses blue LEDs to energize a low quality blended film of Quantum Dots to turn that blue light into a pure white light, which is then filtered through traditional LCD for color.

A true Quantum Dot display will be more like MicroLED where the Dots emit color diectly without an LCD layer.

What do you guys think of ASCR? I think it provides pretty good color contrast.

i want everything in the dark
but i also want to be able to see it

Attached: 188897.jpg (640x480, 47K)

It’s good for film meme tach for vidya mainly because they don’t know what to do with it.

Do you think ray tracing is a meme too?

Meme

Good HDR looks amazing if you have an OLED screen. That's it. Either you're seeing poorly implemented HDR or you're catching the light bleed. The most expensive QLED or any other screen does not have true black only OLED does. You can test it pretty easily too. Go to a store with displays. Put your phone camera on then press it up to the screen on a black area. On an OLED it'll be black. On any other screen it's a washed out gray with all the light that bleeds.

But the bigger issue is only a handful of studios know how to design around it. HDR only works if your entire art design focuses on black being black (insert unfunny racial joke). Otherwise nothing will stop the whole game from looking washed out in HDR.

Who is that in pic related?

poorfag needs advice guys:
which one do I go for ? both go for about 200euros.
displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/5cf84f2ce

The IPS one supposedly has really vibrant colours with really good DCI P3 coverage at 93% but I'm afraid of the bad blacks.

The VA one supposedly has good blacks (I don't care about the fake HDR) but people keep going about motion blur or motion ghosting or something.

Attached: Untitled-3.jpg (1147x644, 59K)

>The most expensive QLED or any other screen does not have true black only OLED does
MicroLED can turn off individual elements just like OLED.
Sony's implementation, CLED, takes this one step further: the LEDs are so bright that they only need to cover 1% of the total screen space. The other 99% of the screen is pure black.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1200x600, 46K)

what's your use case? no way to pick a tool if we don't know what it's supposed to do.

And yet my eye can see visibly less blur with my slow 100hz va 7ms VS dogshit slow 20ms+ tv screen garbage
Stop moving goal posts
That stupid Greta lolburg
I got some shitty 34" 3440x1440p ultrawide curved kogan and it's great I believe mass drop and samsung use the same panel as well as many others and it can be found for 300usd or less and has insane contrast

She’s my gf.

Attached: A91B4A54-386D-44BF-95E3-F19CD9309F4D.png (1200x1200, 1.01M)

>what's your use case? no way to pick a tool if we don't know what it's supposed to do.

little bit of everything. browsing, movies and anime, 60fps gaming.

but not realistically. your eyes at that light level would see SDR not HDR. its too bright.

i agree washed out isnt the right word for it

Spoilers: real life is bright.
You're seeing better than HDR at all times.

i have had one monitor since 2008. your are autistic. fetishizing is too weak of a word for a man who goes through 10 screens in a handful of years because they "look so bad"
shit buddy. my 20" viewsonic looks fine for all the games ive played in 10 years.
there is such a thing as settings you can adjust on your screen y'know