What are they making next?

What are they making next?
SOMA was my favorite game this generation, it's been nearly 5 years.

Attached: Frictional_Games.png (786x269, 242K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/frictionalgames/status/1133738971530498048
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lmao 3 projects!!1!1

That is a good question. I did not like Soma that much, but they still had some good ideas. And I don't think I've heard ANYTHING from them since. They were one of the progenitors of mid-range indie studios... Does anyone knows what they are up to?

Frictional´s shit has been getting worse ever since Penumbra.

Have all thier games been walking simulators?

Penumbra 1-2 were still pretty much like survival-horror games, with manual saves and supply management.

Penumbra Overture has been a adventure/puzzle game with some really fucking silly combat and great physics engine.

Penumbra Black Plague was more survival-focused, as they removed the combat options, focusing more on the point-and-click-style puzzles and stealth instead.

Penumbra Requiem was a piece of absolute SHIT platformer/simply physics puzzling game that should have never been made in the first place.

Amnesia simpled the Penumbra formula down, with even greater focus on stealth, simpler puzzles, and more of the "stumbling down in darkness" elements.

SOMA was just even more streamlined Amnesia: with basic enemies patrols, and more or less "walk there, press button, walk back" type of "puzzles".
Eventually people figured out that the enemies are just a mild annoyance, and that the game honest-to-god works better and is more creepy if their agression is turned off, which Frictional embraced and released a non-agression mode update that turns it into a straight-up walking sim instead.

They also published one game: "Amnesia: Machine for Pigs" which was developed by a different studio (Chinese Room, of Dear Esther/Everybody's gone to Rupture fame).
Unsuprisingly, that was basically a walking sim too.

SOMA wasn't a walking sim, it had TENSE SPOOPY MONSTER ENCOUNTERS shoehorned in at the last minute to appeal to a wider audience
Kinda like how LA Noire had a rooty tooty cover shooty segment every ten minutes so that spastic retards wouldn't get bored

i want more amnesia

Lolno.

>nearly 5 years
It's been exactly 4 years.

twitter.com/frictionalgames/status/1133738971530498048

404 tweet not found

the stealth parts are totally fine and without them there would be a lot less tension

Attached: 1540735505885.jpg (865x500, 65K)

>404
You're doing something wrong.

Actually, the stealth parts were kinda shit and the game honest to god feels creepier without them. I'm not defending the fact that the game is gameplay-wise incredibly anemic. But the incredibly token and annoying monster-dodging does not make it better.

They need to either go back to their roots, and re-focus on actual puzzles, or to take the Pathologic 2 route and build the gameplay around new mechanics, like resource management.
Soma was unfortunately a directionless bastard and having token "stealth" just because you can't figure out something more substantial does not make it any better than a straight up walking sim gameplaywise.

Oh I see it now. I hope the broom pic means witches n wizards.

i think the monster sections would be more endearing if every single horror game since amnesia wasn't aping amnesia's formula in some way.

I don't. I got absolutely sick of this formula half-way through Amnesia: Dark Descent. I don't think it was EVER a good formula.
It may have been a half-decent foundation IF you build extensively on it. Like Alien: Isolation did.
But I would have hated them in SOMA even if half a dozen of other games did not ape them. Hell, I did not even play any other Amnesia-inspired game - I've skipped on all the Outlasts and shits.

Huh i found Alien Isolation unplayable because the xeno's AI was too aggressive making the game boring to play.

Let me guess: you quited on Medical Bay?
If you did, I can't entirely blame you. That segment is just weird, and frankly very poorly represents how the A.I. actually behaves through the rest of the game.
The Xeno AI is really kinda cool. It could be made even cooler, but even what they achieved is really fun. Once you get through the med bay, where it weirdly fucking teathers on the player, for some reason making it feel really merciless and annoying, it changes, and the A.I. starts acting a lot more logically and a lot more interestingly.
While there is still quite a lot else that could be done to improve it, it still has some really fun elements to it, and it does occasioanlly really feel like a battle of wits. There is very little bullshit in the rest of the game.

did you play before the 1.02 patch where the rubber banding was fixed?