How difficult is it to get into fighting games if I know absolutely zero technical terms or strats or mechanics?

How difficult is it to get into fighting games if I know absolutely zero technical terms or strats or mechanics?

Attached: f2xn6l3alszymjzy7qbg[1].jpg (836x470, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/A0MXyJxa6Ik
youtube.com/watch?v=_R0hbe8HZj0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Couple hundred hours should get you started.

It's not at all. Fighting games are more about getting better than getting "good" since you'll always be able to improve further in some capacity. All it really takes is a willingness to learn on your own, without anyone or the game holding your hand. Pulling up the wiki and going over new terms and tech -is- part of getting into fighting games, though Rev2 has a very comprehensive tutorial and training missions.

youtu.be/A0MXyJxa6Ik

Attached: 76846885_p0.png (1275x1806, 1.5M)

Everyone has their own definition of good but that shit is fucking retarded.

The only difficulty is getting over the fact you will lose. A lot. But you lose a little less every time. Then when you see a loss as a lesson, you've overcome the barrier and will improve immensely.

That's it. That's literally it.

There aren't any popular fundamentals game these days. You could mostly ignore links and FADC in SFIV and still get a good grasp of the basics.

>playing a game just to learn fundamentals
No. Play the game you want to get good at. Playing SF will do fuck all for you in GG.

Oof it's gonna take about a year of playing and "studying" to become even mediocre.

Not true, there's a lot that transitions between games. At least in 2d fighters, you can just learn the new system mechanics and start beating people or loosing to people depending on your skill.

So you are going to waste your time playing a game you don't care about just to learn something that you could've in the game you actually want to play. That is amazing logic. You can learn fundamentals in literally every game, you just have to be more mindful of what's going on in some.

He didn't actually specify he only wanted to play GG. He never mentioned any preference beyond his pic related. If you just want "get into fighters" then a game with strong focus on fundamentals is a good place to start. If he's dead set on a specific game then I agree, just play that.

>Playing SF will do fuck all for you in GG.
A lot of skills are universal.

No, that was just an example of two very different games. Maybe I should've said some 3D game so it didn't confuse you.
You are a fucking retard if you think playing a different game than the one you intend to go into is beneficial.
Would you play 1.6 if you wanted to get good at Q3 just because they are both point and click games? I mean aiming and running around is universal.

No you can play any game, and GG is really hard and SF5 is very easy.
You skills transition so you should play all of em.
Actually getting gud of course means focusing one game, one character.
So I'm not following your made up "logic", my logic was completely different.

btfo

>your skills transition
I take it you have never played multiple games. Your execution transitions but the neutral is very different in most games. Unless you consider not being braindead mashing unsafe buttons all day as a skill.

>You are a fucking retard if you think playing a different game than the one you intend to go into is beneficial.
It is though. I went from Rising Thunder to SFIV to GG, and found the gradual progression extremely helpful as I was getting too caught up in execution.

I mean if you are unironically braindead and can't filter information that might be right. Good for you, buddy.

>can't filter information
Yeah that tends to be a problem for absolute beginners. Cool productive discussion.

How is it my fault that people can't do research? You fucking ADHD zoomers couldn't get through 5 minutes of reading if your lives depended on it.

nigga what is there to know
>fast attack beat slow attack up close
>long-reach attack beat short-reach attack on long range
>blocking beats two thirds of all attacks so you might need to switch up your blockings to block all of the attacks
>throws are different depending on the game
it's piss easy even the more technical stuff like framedata or combo theory

>long-reach attack beat short-reach attack on long range
look at this kid who's never showed dhalsim what's up with a cheeky crouch short

many people, even the people I can find online on tekken right nowdont understand how neutral works and that one Core-A gaming video is the only one that managed to explain it within a minute.

youtube.com/watch?v=_R0hbe8HZj0

Well, look at it like this, OP: every single person you see playing competitive fighting games today started from the position of knowing zero technical terms or strats or mechanics. So judging by the number of people who play them, it can't be that hard at all. And it's not

shush i am tricking newbies please don't interrupt it

Attached: fisting of a sword.png (619x229, 20K)

To learn the basics/mechanics and stuff? Like a day.

To actually get good? Above average where you can win against other average level players? Like 500+ hours.

It's not? For beginners there tends to be a gulf between consciously knowing what you should do and actually intuitively implementing it in your game while under pressure.

lmao what the fuck

It's fairly difficult, but it entriely depends on your natural talent and how quickly you are able to adapt and learn new things.
It's a relatively niche genre, so the people playing it generally have been doing so for years so you are less likely to run into newbies like yourself, so at the beginning you will be losing a lot no matter what. If you can endure it and keep at it, it's very rewarding. But how long this phase is going to be, nobody can say for sure because it depends on the person. I would say at the very least it would take a few months before you start seeing wins if you are really talented, but at worst it could also take years if you are really dumb.

blue box = place that can get hurt
red box = place that dispenses the hurt
in guilty gear, all characters have access to 6P, a command normal punch that is a bit slow but is fully invulnerable from the knees up. it is usually used as an anti-air, but can also be used to dodge projectiles or jab someone with their own sword's hilt

Attached: elphelt cracks open a cold one with the fam.jpg (900x1269, 124K)

If I had access to a comprehensive tutorial like the Rev2 tutorial, say, 10 years ago, I'm sure the learing phase for me would have been a fraction of what it was. It's really amazing.
Sure, you had wikis and tutorials and resources and whatnot available, but having these things at one place in a comprehensive easy to understand tutorial form is just amazing.

There's the initial barrier of terminology. You pick a fighting game and you have to learn how to actually read those combo notifications. Pick a game and see what it's all about, it will take you a couple of hours.

Then you have to learn the basics of the game you picked. If it's something like Guilty Gear, good for you it has a nice tutorial on game mechanics and the concept of frame data (fast moves will beat slow moves, but fast moves are weak) that can take you from a couple of hours to about a day of fucking around. If it's Tekken, then it's youtube videos.

Then you pick a character and start learning combos and stuff, can take you a couple of days to get started on some easy bread and butter stuff.

From there, it's match up knowledge, since you will have to face shit you don't know how to deal with online. Get in the habit of labbing shit you lose to. Learn how to counter it. With the correct attitude you will exhibit steady growth from there. Acquiring the correct attitude can be hard. Can you take the L? You will have to find out.

>Sure, you had wikis and tutorials and resources and whatnot available
Yeah, now you have to dig through a million off topic tweets to find some random tech, or search through a discord where people don't always pin or organize stuff very well.

What game did you want to learn OP?

It all depends on what you want from faitans. If you just wanna learn to play with your local friends it shouldn't take you long to get started. Stick to the game you like visually/mechanically or with what your friends are playing and don't listen to what the anons are saying about skills being translated to other similar games, all experience will help you in the future. You should also try to decide yourself what you want to do to learn, it's important to learn the cores like neutral game, blocking and punishes, however it won't matter if you are not having fun and will probably lead to you dropping the game. Lastly be ready to loose A LOT

Attached: IMG-20190922-WA0000.jpg (600x840, 66K)

play fantasy strike, it's a game for us smoothbrains that shows +/- on block and what you should have chosen to escape special moves actually onscreen visually

does it even have an active playerbase?

Just play smash

Samsho you can pretty much hop online after an hour in training mode. There are more things to learn with characters, but you can win with the basics pretty easy. Online is still pretty active, but it is a smaller game.

Attached: 1541268560207.jpg (1334x1920, 271K)

It's fairly easy to pick up fighting game and get good with a character. The hard part is figuring out your own playstyle and each match-up. Don't feel intimidated tho, if you're havng fun it will come naturally.

and this. If you wanna learn a fighting game quick the fastest way would be to find a local community you can play with. If you fight with a single friend you will learn bad habits and might not improve in a good way. Online are most of the time pretty shit in fighting games so you wont get consistent matches there as well.

It's difficult but not the insurmountable task it's made out to be.