Any tips before I dive on this?

Any tips before I dive on this?

Attached: systemshockcover_300wide_3651.png (300x389, 190K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JdiaIRkjpI0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Aesthetic cover art
Why not just wait for the remaster? It looks extremely faithful, to the point where they're reusing layouts square-by-square
I believe it's releasing early next year

install the mouse look mod

Honestly I recommend just playing the second game and that alone. The first game is literally the exact same as the second game, just not as good. The only issue is the second game contains story spoilers for the first, but who cares. Gameplay is what makes System Shock good.

It's not the same game at all, in gameplay or thematically or even aesthetically. The biggest difference being there are no skills or PSI

just play it

I'm seeking for the pure undistilled original experience

Old school. I like your style.

Thanks user I would use it

Consider Watching super bunny hops video on it, I think he recommends a few mods as well.

Attached: M4SMDDkt3TQeT9ngSjri8L.jpg (1026x577, 382K)

After leaving through the 451 coded door the game automatically turns off the "online help" option you can turn it back on in the options and its useful for pointing out objects you could miss and hidden doors etc
Remaster will play completely differently
Ignore this, play the enhanced edition but use the original control scheme mouse look breaks the game its like Resident evil without the fixed camera angles
2 is alright more accessible for zoomers but doesn't come close to the original

Play with the mouse look mod, play the Enhanced Edition, or play the Kex Engine port (included with the Enhanced Edition). It's better than SS2, save for the music (altho level 6 is pretty baller). It's more open-ended, less survival-horror; is a metroidvania rather than a really shitty RPG.

kys eceleb shitter

Wait for the remaster so you don't have to deal with archaic boomer controls.

Remake is essentially Syndicate2012 in terms of artstyle and movement.

>enhanced edition
I just started playing it again and theyve randomly decided to change all the character portraits for the emails and they look absolutely awful now.

In fact, I just finished it and his stance on the videogame is one of the factors that motivated me to play it. That's a cool artwork and design too.

Thanks for the tip. I will also read the guide.

Thank you user.

By the way, I think the cyberspace of this video game, from what I've seen so far is one of the most precious ever conceived. It's simple, elegant and classic cyberpunk all at the same time.

played ss2, fucking phenomenal. tried playing first game and felt like i was having a stroke. is it just me or did ss1 age like milk? am i missing something? i tried doing the hyperspace minigame in the first room and had no idea what was going on

They changed the enhanced edition from SHlink to porting it to the KEX engine which is more flexible and multiplatform ready
The art changes are from the Mac version and are higher res but look different
You are just a ss2 pleb

play enchanced edition if you want to use mouse
press the fullscreen button to see more than the small box
lean around corners where theres enemies

In the original you were meant yo use mouse for movement (this is explicitly called out in the manual), alterating between moving and shooting as you do in RE4. This is very non-evident nowadays.
In order to turn off body physics simulation, move from prone position, at least, when mousing around, it's only slightly slower than moving upright.
Go with the last difficulty on everything other than Mission, the latter introduces a strict timer you do NOT want to have on your game the first time you play it.
Don't ever overdrive the energy weapons.
For decks with no infinite respawn, constantly backtracking to energy outlets lets you save up on firegun ammo.
When you turn on regen chamber on the level you essentially become immortal there, lets you save up on healing items.
You can't ever die in cyberspace (there is one exception though), ALL the progress (down to damage already dished to specific enemies) is saved in between of tries, and whatever the time penalties, the cyber level still remains completeable if you just haul your ass. Just jack back in, cowboy, you'll heal after getting done with cyber level. Beware of getting ambushed in between of tries on decks with infinite respawn though.

It aged like milk.

Mouse for moving
Horseshit, the optimal way is szxc etc moving and turning mouse for interacting with the world
However you can play mouse only and you can perform every function of the game and beat it with just a 2 button mouse

Nah, it's surprisingly comfy provided you double dip on strafes and backpedaling with keyboard. You should maybe try mouse moving from prone before trying to compare it to other modes.

Like the most serious caveat with mouse, you will occasionally mix up turns and strafes. This is actually annoying too. Which is why I recommended doing strafes and backpedal from keyboard, and making sure you don't accidentally trip their screen zones with the mouse.

make notes on the map where each medical and energy station that you find are, maybe even note where the elevators are

pay attention to the number on the vid-screen in the computer mainframe room on each floor

Radiation is supposed to make that really fucking annoying noise, your game isn't broken.

THIS FUCKING THIS.
If you are playing the original version have fun getting fucked in the ass by this, but if you are playing the enhanced edition then you don't have to keep track of it if you don't feel like looking it up later since those numbers are always the same. Don't be afraid to use the guide that is actually provided by the company that made it, detailed enough for you to beat it but still loose enough for you that it doesn't break the game for you.

Play the latest remastered version, the one that runs of the KEX engine. Makes the game a lot more palatable.

Does the berserk stimulant fucked the GUI and in-game vision or my potato just had a seizure?

Mine did that too when I played so I think that is normal. I never fucked around with Stimulants until like end game.

Its the berserker side effect, every stim except for health has one iirc
If you select the item in your items menu, and then select item from one of the side "panels" you'll get a description of the items with info it says so there

The game is primitive in its logic, so if you get really annoyed by respawns, keep an eye out for where they end up relative to where you plan to be going. Respawn locations are set in fixed locations.
Level 1 and Level 3 especially, it can be easy to corral off respawns somewhere that they'll no longer bother you during your regular traffic by abusing this logic.

It's funny when I think back to how fun the rocket boots and jetpack were. But then I consider that I played with mouselook and you could not use them even remotely like that with the original controls. I really need to replay this

You can take notes on the map.
Do it. Do it a lot.

this should seriously be a mark of quality. if you don't have notes of any sort after finishing the game, the game is shit.

wtf am i reading theyre not similar at all

>artstyle
no
>movement
maybe

Oh no, in what it differs from the original, remake is ABSOLUTELY Syndicate-ish in look.

Whatever you do don't listen to this faggot. The system shocks are both excellent but they are as far apart as possible while remaining the same genre and sharing a few quirks of ambience.
If you are going to play both, play in order. Get mouse look for the first game unless you wank over terrible controls for muh authenticity. There is a reason it became the standard in all games just a year after SS1 released and even the original devs approved the mod makes it better.

Get the GoG version, and have a pen and paper on hand. After you destroy certain things, one or more numbers will pop up. Write those down.

Fuck is wrong with you? Even if this were true why wouldnt OP play the first one.

theres a chance you will get a bug that wont allow you to continue the game no matter what u do and only way to fix is to restart, have fun :)

Look under the mod menu. The DOS faces aren't used by default anymore for some retarded reason.

It doesn't matter on the Enhanced Edition. They intentionally left a glitch in that causes the code to be the same every game. On the original version, it's totally random every game.

not him, but i played gog enhanced edition and the code was random

Oh really? oh well, he should still write them down so as not to go around looking for them after the fact :)

Play it like it's just a regular Shock game.
Seriously, take out all the age based jank and it's basically Bioshock with a far more complex map, it doesn't even have stats.

>The first game is literally the exact same as the second game, just not as good.
Stupidest shit I've read all day.

Played the Steam Enchanced Edition last winter and it was random.

-Find the cyborg conversion chambers on each level to turn them into restoration chambers for free infinite revives
-Get the laser rapier on level 3 as it's an infinitely useful low energy cost weapon which deals absurd levels of damage
-The Sparq beam is quite useful for the first two or three levels and can be continually used as long as you find an energy station
-The terrible cyberspace levels allow which you can find on each level allow you to open security doors by flying into their security nodes
-Turn the full HUD off at the first opportunity so you can see all around you
-Take note of where the energy stations and surgery machines are because you will seriously need them.
-You can make notes on the map of important features such as the above
-Be careful with grenade throws. You essentially pull a live grenade from your inventory and throw it directly from there
-Lean is pretty useful for killing enemies around corners. A lot of the time the AI won't even react to being shot around a corner but it feels like cheating
-You will get a number of active abilities like an energy shield which has progressive upgrades with higher absorption but also higher energy costs. These show up as icons on the left and right side of the screen. You will have to navigate through the menus to use the lower levels.
-Enemies can respawn once you thin their population on a level down to a certain number. They infinitely and instantly respawn in certain spots which is really annoying thing about SS1. You will come to hate level 3 very quickly

Attached: SS1.jpg (1920x1080, 647K)

Don't bother fighting pic related without armor pen ammo or better guns or rapier (Or just don't rush to that reactor room with constant radiation n flying bots till later)

Attached: Security2Bot..gif (500x500, 333K)

AW FUCK

Attached: Laser.webm (1280x720, 2.77M)

Woooooow how would you know that would happen?! Aha hah, woah good job at explaining things game.

Pay attention to damage and ammo types

>Ignore this, play the enhanced edition but use the original control scheme mouse look breaks the game its like Resident evil without the fixed camera angles
I tried playing this game with old control scheme and I fucking hate it. Won't max difficulty balance out the advantage of mouselook?

youtube.com/watch?v=JdiaIRkjpI0

WHERE THE FUCK IS IT NIGHTDIVE?

Graphics and sound are absolutely amazing but enemies don't appear to pose any threat

Can anyone?