Why aren't RPGs hard anymore Yea Forums?

Why aren't RPGs hard anymore Yea Forums?

Attached: wiz4.jpg (500x764, 146K)

I hope you're not posting an example of a "hard" RPG.

They were never hard.
Back then it was just:
A.) They had cryptic puzzles and there were no walkthroughs
B.) You were a child so everything was harder

It was meant for expert players only, it says so on the cover.

Attached: Throb of the Demon's Heart is actually an unrelated spin-off and not a version of Wizardry IV, (1200x1200, 1.07M)

RPGs, by their antiquated and very typical design, CANNOT be hard. RPGs can be grinded, broken, and debunked faster and easier than any other genre - and this is not a flaw, this is a design choice. RPGs are only as hard as you make them for yourself. That's why they're called Role Playing Games. You decide everything.

Please note that ARPGS don't count to any argument in this, they are a completely different type of genre. (Witcher, Mass Effect, etc) though even they do follow some of the same philosophies.

So is Wizardry 4 the actual definition of artificial difficulty?

Ah I see, they weren't difficult, they just had factors that caused the game to be difficult. Woah, I'm so fucking enlightened by your blisteringly cutting edge commentary.

"artificial difficulty"

That's a meaningless phrase. Difficulty in a videogame is artificial in all cases; someone is designing a game with challenges and statistics designed to be bothersome. I never understood why you people say "artificial difficulty". What you are trying to say is "unfair".

Does the phrasing matter if the end result is the same and you understood what it means?

Attached: hmmm.gif (480x262, 489K)

It's a buzzword that you use as a crutch for low intelligence.

Attached: wizardry1.jpg (800x834, 192K)

It seems to have rustled quite a lot of your jimmies.

Imagine being such a mindless contrarian

That's pretty fucking surprising.

it rustled his jameses because smart people are sick of hearing this meaningless phrase.
you either find something difficult or you don't. saying that you think it's "artificially" difficult is you presuming to know at exactly which point the difficulty goes from what the developer intended to the point that you think it's too difficult. it's so fucking retarded that i'm amazed i have to explain this shit to people.

Attached: pickard.jpg (988x758, 77K)

Artificial difficulty is just a simplified phrase that distills bullshit trial and error difficulty that can't be overcome through skill or reaction, and instead has to be experienced first. Or as another example, something that spikes the level of difficulty to an unreasonable degree. It got memed with dark souls because people are shit, but artificial difficulty very much exists. i wanna be the guy? pure artificial difficulty.

nope. i wanna be the guy is just "very" difficult, or "unfairly" difficult. the word artificial should not be used here as it makes no sense and makes the speaker sound like an idiot.

It's difficulty is not organic, it is the very definition of difficulty crafted specifically for the purpose of being difficult, as opposed to it coming naturally from good level design, it uses cheap tricks and troll shit.

It's artificial difficulty. Sorry you're retarded and can't understand basic english, user.

If I introduce you to an enemy or mechanic without giving you time to learn or prepare the first time around, it's artificial. The more the worse.

>Read filename as throb of the demom cock

Attached: reach.jpg (540x472, 29K)

If a fight is extended because the boss has 5 healthbars instead of one but nothing changes, it's artificial. If an enemy if the mooks become tanklike or have instant attacks it's artificial, rather than natural difficulty

Because if they were like Wiz IV then they'd be ultra niche and companies wish to garner a profit. Easy games cover the largest audience, and also as a side note crawlers like Wizardry are already a niche genre to begin with, with only a select few modern series having any recognition at all, and none of them being terribly unfair and brutal like WIV is.
When it's indie stuff you just get stuff like Grimoire because the only people that have the dedication to make a game like that are singular autists without proper teams to help out or test it. Formerly prominent bigger devs like Sir-Tech and Sierra essentially do not exist any more, even if some of the old studios still exist in name it's in name only.
In essence, you have a niche genre (DRPGs) in a market where the main audience prefers easy games (or at least average difficulty in the case of some). There's no people making them, there's few people demanding them.

Attached: goliath-tigerfish-photo-022.jpg (625x450, 56K)

>difficulty is not organic
listen to this pretentious horse shit. fucking listen to it.
yeah, all hazards and enemies should have huge signs and alarm noises going off so the poor player doesnt feel slighted by anything in the game. in fact, the game should pause every time an enemy comes on screen and large arrows should point to it to warn the player. also, the enemies should be highlighted and make very loud chime sounds like when big ben is ringing. anything other than this is artificial.

So the near-impossible to get ending is the canon one right? Werdna gets his happy ending?

This is a fallacy, you're just taking an argument and blowing it out of proportion. Go read up on game design and read why MegaMan or Zelda or Castlevania is good game design.

I remember playing Wizardry on the PS2 and it being fun.

Attached: 1379910103978.jpg (400x550, 46K)

why do you keep posting wiz 4? we get it man it's hard as balls, 8 is still the best one

Because no one would like to play trash like old Wizardry again.
The games don't even have a lot of strategy, they're mostly about doing extremely repetitive grinding while testing out how many bullshit traps and teleporters are on the current floor as you draw them, rinse and repeat. They only get "hard" in the later floors when you have to fight against enemies with bs skills like the vampires but the best strategy is always grind so that you can take them out asap. It's never the type of game in which you feel smart for clearing something up but just feel like a "glad this shit's finally over" eye rolling moment.
These games were never particularly well designed, they're mostly notable for being some of the first attempts at replicating the combat systems and dungeon crawling aspects of P&P rpg but without any of the more interesting aspects you would find if you were playing with a decent DM so the only thing that's left is monotone tasks over and over again.

Most likely some autist who read it was very hard (but never actually played it) so now he wants to dickride it like no tomorrow to look cool.

>i can't think of an argument so go look up someone else's argument

that post raises several questions
For one thing you never encounter a monster group like this, not even in Werdna's funhouse.
Also ogre lords are a pain not because of their stats, but because they love spamming area spells.

It is. Mostly because the designers were just taking the piss with whatever side of twist they could put into the formula and never bothered to actually make a well designed experience.

play underrail

Attached: 9BBC4627-468F-432B-B82F-0698B02C8044.jpg (1242x1207, 1.7M)

SPBP
It's like a poorly made Doom wad or Super Mario Maker level that's just obtuse for the sake of being "hard to complete" but most of your experience is wasting your time rather than testing any particular skill and how you manage to excel at it.

It is.

Wizardry 4 is a masterpiece of pure sadism. The amount of effort that went into making the near-unmappable looping hellscapes is impressive.

Attached: wiz4.gif (560x560, 46K)

If my memory serves right that's probably a Wizardry 3 screenshot, not 1.
It's the jap rerelease, of course.

Attached: wizardry34pce.jpg (701x698, 258K)

undertale is easy

HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO FIND THIS OUT BY YOURSELF?

Attached: 1406006241030.jpg (1416x1364, 322K)

can you read?
not that i disagree with what you wrote

>I never understood why you people say "grassroots movement". Humans aren't grass!

Pain.
Lots and lot of pain.
Also, mapping out every step you take and constantly going back and redrawing your map because you've realized you've been looped/spun/etc.

I kinda get how to get to the next floor, but god forbids you make a wrong move, specially when most of the map leads fucking nowhere and everything looks the same and if i recall correctly there's no indication that you have been spun

back then there was no internet to procrastinate so if you had a videogame you might as well keep trying to beat it even if it's impossible

Yep, no indication unless you end up facing something you weren't. Which means the one-way walls facing the spinner can tip you off sometimes.

>Reinvent the wheel

>back then there was no internet to procrastinate

This so fucking much. People used to get WAY more done before they were all distracted by the internet.

>get to difficult part in a game
>"I'll take a break and come back to this later"
>fuck around on 4chin
>wind up playing something else and never finishing the game
It happens more often than I'd like to admit.

Attached: 1529218160677.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

I read through an old school LP of this that was posted in another thread a few days ago. That was a wild ride, but a lot of the puzzles didn't seem too unreasonable for a 'Grandmaster Level' game, the mappping is the worst of it.

Attached: 1550965882630.gif (560x560, 41K)

Test

What could you possibly be doin on Yea Forums for longer than 30 attentive minutes

Saying something is unfair makes me sound like a baby, and Mommy says only big boys can play PEGI13 games :(

I can fuck around here for hours on end with ease.

>8 is still the best one

Attached: 1567115598575.jpg (1600x1200, 275K)

>These games were never particularly well designed
They were actually pretty extensively tested for how small of projects they were.

I will forever be grateful to Wizardry for spawning a genre and many games I've enjoyed like Dark Spire, Etrian Odyssey, Shining in the Darkness, and more, but I will never complete a game like the early Wizardries because I don't enjoy the feeling of having my balls digitally stapled to a cattle prod then sliced open with a rusty piece of metal house siding. I can accept that I'm a casual in the genre (even playing on Expert in EO is nothing compared to this from what I see) but I would like to eventually give some of the less bullshit Wizardry games a try.
What's the best one for a beginner, one that won't give me testicular torsion from pure anger?

The gameboy games, any of the Japanese games.

Difficult games don't make money

thanks

>paying for playing woth a virtual that guy gm + rock fall everyone die every corner

But you can't grind in some RPGs.