Dragon Quest XI

This game is for brainlets prove me wrong
How anybody can find such a simplistic story, characters and world engaging in any way I don't know.

Attached: 912scXCTEWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (926x1500, 424K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Smvk_MwvIc&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=jgpJVI3tDbY
youtube.com/watch?v=FveF-we6lcE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's because they've had sex

It's the most standard JRPG ever.
That's specifically the appeal.
In japan there's a large audience (like 70% of the country) that every time a new DQ comes out is like "I want to play another entry in the most vanilla JRPG ever made because it's comfy and reminds me of my childhood".
So they buy it.

They're not trying to wow you with anything new, or groundbreaking, being plain, simple and straightfoward is the clear objective here.
It's vanilla ice cream: the game.

I imagine DQ fans also enjoy things like watching paint dry and window licking.

>boots up fornite on mom's iPad

It's just so bland.
I was trying to think of traits to describe each character and each one has one single character trait other than Erik.
Hero: Heroic
Erik: Cunning but good natured
Serena: Kind
Veronica: Bossy
Sylvando: Flamboyant
Rab: Down to Earth
Jade: Serious
Hendrick: Loyal
When you have a 100+ hour long story based game you need more interesting characters than this.

its got sexy anime girls though and it doesn't get bogged down with strategic battles or interesting worlds or anything like that so you can focus on the girls

That's a terrible analogy, vanilla ice cream is good.

DQXI is a game for people that actually enjoy playing games. This is why zoomershits and metaniggers hate it. It's not meant to be taken seriously, it's a fun little diversion from the drudgery of life.

Attached: DQXI budget.webm (1280x720, 882K)

i only found DQ tolerable when you're on your first or second game in the series, i played 3, 5 and 8 and have zero desire to ever come back to the others because even by the end of 8 i was begging for it to end

Nigga please.
You're one step above Musou addicted chinks.
Two steps above gachashits.
Three steps above watching grass grow while scratching your balls.

There's enjoying simple media for the pleasure of it, and there's watching the static of your TV for hours and thinking it's fun in any way or form.

Attached: 7436364.jpg (346x344, 20K)

>it's a fun little diversion from the drudgery of life.

I've never played a video game genre that more accurately captures "drudgery" than JRPGs

I don't play it, try harder next time.

>American Hollywood industry is 99% propped up by a generation's memories of 90s/2000s properties, and are willing to pay for transparent cash-grab reboots of these properties just to get a jolt of nostalgia

>these same people wonder how Japanese adults can enjoy new entries in an unchanging, corporate-designed series of adventures meant to evoke nostalgia for childhood days past

Exactly.
Yea Forums wondering shit like this is proof that while most of Yea Forums claims to enjoy japanese games and japanese culture, in reality they have absolutely no fucking clue what japan is actually about.

Will the new release have better music at least?

You can turn on dq8 overworld music. But the dq11 music is shit even when it's orchestrated.

You say "simplistic", but the Japanese are people of extremes. It's either this or needlessly convoluted bullshit like modern Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

Your weird comparison notwithstanding, DQ11 pretty clearly closer to the "simple media for the pleasure of it" end than literally watching static on your TV for hours.

It's okay if you don't like it.

Any game that isn't pvp focused is for brainlets

Ironically DQ is unique for this very reason.
Every jrpg franchise feels they need to reinvent the genre with every entry, the idea of the trope of a jrpg being a generic by the numbers plot, characters, and turn based battle system is laughable.
Can you really call the DQ style generic and overdone when it's the only series dong it anymore?

Of course not.
But i can still call it boring as fuck.

I don't wanna generalize but i feel like when people say DQ is BORING, they haven't, either, played the game or dropped it immediately.
You really can't find a super duper just, ye ol' plain ass adventure jrpg or even rpg unless it's DQ. That's kinda why people really love it, because it's so plain.
But it's obviously ok to think the games are boring or too plain, because you aren't expected to like everything. It's also kinda hard to sell someone on a adventure game when you call it "straightforward" and "plain" y'know? Unless you play it yourself and enjoy it.

Attached: 1564719986416.jpg (1301x1223, 242K)

Unironically atmosphere. True, a lot of it is cashing in on nostalgia or rewarding people who have played a DQ game before. But as someone who's only played a little bit of 5 and all of 8, 11 feels particularly fleshed out and vibrant. The DQ series has built a distinct brand, and is now really, insanely good in immersing you in that world.

If you don't like the world, that's fine? It's always had a fairly simple fairy-tale/bedtime story vibe going on. I wouldn't turn on a Saturday Morning Cartoon and bitch about the lack of nuance. It's nice when it's there, but ultimately, it's not what I'm watching for.

Also, sidebar: People need to stop trying to beat games as fast as fucking possible. We're like slaves to our backlog. It ruins everything about enjoying video games.

I think you're giving fiction as a whole too much credit or DQ not enough. Not like there aren't a million other basic ass characters under those archetypes but it's suddenly not okay when it's DQ.

I loved it. I'd play it again if they released the definitive versrion for PC. The game is beautiful, it's packed full of content, i had a really fun time filling out the monster book and most of the item book. It was just soothing to the autismo, I loved it. Doubt very much I could play a DQ game more than once a year at best though. It's one of those games that is best enjoyed rarely.

I played it up until the third act and just dropped it at some trial because I realized I didn't give two shits about anything that was happening. I wasn't invested at all. I really wanted to like the game.

The trouble is they only have ONE character trait each. Most other fiction will try to make their characters as interesting as possible but this game just gives each one a single trait and calls it a day. Even DQVIII had more interesting characters.

So this game is literally made so Japs can shut their brain off and play a boring predictable game? What the fuck shit taste.

DQXI is widely considered the worst game in the series by longtime fans. Literally nobody has anything nice to say about it.

>even DQVIII

Yangus, Angelo and Morrie are all fucking great. And as annoying as King Trode is he's a decent character.

Is this true? It doesn't sound true.

Exactly. I literally had to rack my brain a bit because I'd forgotten Jade even existed because she's so fucking pointless a character.

>DQXI is widely considered the worst game in the series by longtime fans.
You are talking so far out your ass it's almost sad.

Lmao DQ is getting fucking roasted ITT.

I see this is your first rodeo with ACfag

It's true. DQXI killed the series for many dedicated DQ fans. Similar case with Fire Emblem and Awakening.

The only people who remember her are gamers lol. Similar with anything else in this game.

it's just a feeble attempt at a time machine to make people feel like they're in the 80s and early 90s again. no wonder nintendo gets along so well with them

don't forget the recycled repetitive music

OOF! Ice fucking cold.

ikr?

Fuck off with your boogeyman. We hate DQ and thats that.

fire emblem awakening was disliked by (some) longtime fans because it was very different from previous games
dragon quest xi is literally dragon quest 11

>Literally nobody has anything nice to say about it.
So if I go to a review site, I'll see nothing but negative reviews, right?

Oh... W-well I'm sure they all just have shit taste!

Attached: DQ.jpg (1001x1437, 952K)

I don't understand why you would invest 60-90 hours of your life into the same experience you could get from watching, I dunno, Slayers or whatever

No, DQXI was the babby mode trash enjoyed by discord trannies. Literally the FE Awakening/Fates of the series.

If you want more vanilla ice cream you have to get more. If you want the same fucking experience from 30 years ago, why not just replay them? This game offers nothing new and I dropped it after 10 hours when I realized I was wasting my time.

>86
YIKES

Ice cold truth that DQ cucks don't want to accept. Yea Forums never liked this series, it was just discord trannies forcing a meme.

It's dumbfounding that trannXIes think their shit game isn't the worst in the series.

>Fuck off with your boogeyman. We hate DQ and thats that.
If you hate DQ so much why are you even here? And who is "we"? You can hate a game and still discuss why you hate it, but just calling it shit doesn't really get anyone anywhere. Also what's the little cornball line at the end? It sounds like something a toddler and a group of brats would say lmao.

Attached: 1567462972386.png (700x700, 171K)

youtube.com/watch?v=8Smvk_MwvIc&t=
>this music plays on a town full of thieves and thugs with hobos sleeping in the street
>music is literally called peaceful town
>this same piece of music replays all over multiple different towns

DQ fans literally defend this the last time I posted this LMAO

Attached: 1529379294908.gif (200x153, 2.48M)

He's a dragon quest fan and he's just pretending to be retarded.

Why are you replying to him?

Every day we get more reasons to laugh at their shitty reddit series they just keep on giving lol.

People want something new that reminds them of something old, which they associate with better days. This principle is what bankrolls a vast majority of media today. Even for "original" stories, people want archetypes, narratives, and conclusions that they are familiar with. And let's not pretend video game consumers are constantly demanding originality and uncompromising vision, because that's not what their purchases say.

Consolewarriors and Smashfaggots are pathetic. And ACfag deserves to get his ass raped for an eternity although he's a homo anyways.

Is there some kind of discord tranny raid against DQ? I mean, I've seen some autistic hate threads for a lot of games on this garbage board but DQ had always pretty comfy threads in the past. It's one of least offensive franchises in the industry...

Attached: what in the fuck.jpg (800x600, 198K)

What would you rather watch, OP?

A movie with a deep and complicated story, but over half of it is just a scrolling textbox of narration because they didn't know how to film those scenes.

Or an action movie that's predictable as fuck, but it's all shot, and edited in a well done creative way.

Just look at fucking Heliodor castle town. every square inch is full of hidden paths and secret entrances, and the whole slum area is 4 stories of climbable walls with different treasure chests to find.
NPC dialogue stays relevant to the chapter, hinting and foreshadowing the next storybeat.

And if they game wants you to search and find a location on the world, it's doesn't give away the coordinates on the fucking map, it'll put the quest marker on the NPC that tells you just enough to know where to look.

I'm not saying these are great innovative features. I'm saying this kind of stuff is bare minimum.

It's literally too boring to hate for most people.

DQ XI is one of my favorite games ever made. It’s precisely because it sticks to the formula so well that I like it. Also it has a massive post game and pretty good story for a jrpg (seeing the whole land get decimated and then having your character travel back in time to stop it from happening after already defeating the villain in the current timeline was really cool in my opinion)

Oh yeah that's another thing I hated. How they basically made it so that the whole second act of the game didn't even matter.

There's been a lot of people analyzing the faults of the games but if they get drowned out with nonsensical falseflag shitposts then we can pretend the legitimate criticisms don't exist.

>Yea Forums never liked this series
You don't speak for an entire board nigger

You just made that up on the spot you didn’t even play that far

Attached: 66345EED-D2BF-4FA6-ABB9-6A6F8177A79F.jpg (1046x1300, 126K)

Moreso because the Japanese hit a technological wall ever since American companies stopped spoonfeeding them new idea's to sponge off of. Everything in western games is finally hush-hush now and Japan is being exposed as the technologically illiterates they are. You think it's sad now, it's been like this for the past 15 years, and Japan is only going to sink to more pathetic lows. Yes there are passionate developers still in Japan, but when they learn English they know it's better to leave than to have your hard-earned credit taken from you by your boss for the last decade of your life.

Attached: desktop-6.jpg (2560x1440, 1.33M)

I played up until some trial in the third act

it's like you don't fucking get why Bravely struck such a cord that it outsold the then current latest FF installment.

What is there even to criticize? I mean, most of the usual criticism goes like this "omg turnbased in 2019" or "retard proof combat." I mean, it's a Dragon Quest game. If it where to innovate too much it would no longer be a DQ game. I really don't think there's much worth criticizing about 11 other than the nips jewing us with the soundtrack and some minor technical issues.

That said, I would like to hear how you could improve the formula without really changing it so much that it feels like a different game. One idea I had a while back is how they could implement more synergy between character abilities. Like how Erik has his whole setup with poison and envenom.

>You're one step above Musou addicted chinks.

you'll fall for the musou meme when Koei decides they want to do it. Zeldatards did and they actually got a good game out of it.

>zoomers can't think of an argument to bash JRPGS other than HURR BORING

Attached: 1564072728970.png (553x452, 318K)

>DQXI is the "FE: Awakening" of the franchise

Attached: 14c.jpg (207x253, 17K)

I know you are trolling but I just couldn't help but remember the Mass Effect Andromeda saga. Western AAA developers have been exposed as frauds countless times. Their shit games sell well because normies buy into the shitty marketing. Japanese actually make video games that are worth playing. The west, sadly, is now more focused on the next big movie game. They spend more money on shitty CGI mocap and hiring actors. Rather than making good games. I can't remember the last time I played a western game from beginning to end and enjoyed it.

you COULD bring back Job Classes from VI/VII

True, that's a good point. I'd also bring back the end game dungeon system from 9. I got a lot of playtime out of that.

I think he's trolling, since FE: Awakening is the game that saved the franchise.

They only have eyes for FF7 and it's episodic remake.

Every entry adds new features, characters and settings that make each game unique. 11, from what I understand, is the only one that's deliberately a throwback to the first 3.

Games in the west are either passion projects or expensive investments that pushes the boundaries and actively searches for the technology of the future.

Japanese games don't do either. Japanese teams are completely at the mercy of Western technology. Or pander to nostalgia, which is the lowest form of business.

Attached: 1569115709914.jpg (1561x1249, 712K)

>Games in the west are either passion projects

who do you think 99% of indie devs rip off most of the time?

Attached: 1550788214892.png (240x240, 24K)

Ever since hero was announced for smash the amount of Dragon Quest shit posting has been through the roof. I don’t even like the series, but it seems like people are bumping their own threads to hate it.

Hero triggered a lot of smashtards that wanted their obscure cereal mascot instead of someone who moonland actually gives a fuck about because MUH ANIME SWORDSMAN

Yet another reason why smashcancer should have its own board and be permabanned on Yea Forums.

Are the trannies trying to do some kind of discord op again? Fuck off.

Doom or Nethack you fucking weeb.

I'm pretty sure Virtual Reality and Oculus Rift VR is beyond your comprehension.

It's not Smash, it's the fact that the game is coming to Switch with features the other consoles won't get. Anything Nintendo exclusive will go through this

It’s simple but great. My favorite JRPG.
I was born reading Dai No Daiboken and always liked the atmosphere of Dragon Quest. This one is the best in the franchise. Simply great.

Don't delude yourself, it runs like shit on Switch.

This is what pisses Eric off so much.

Attached: 1566868865220.jpg (640x9109, 1.95M)

>Imagine being so retarded that a DQ game gatekeeped him

Absolutely embarrassing show OP.

Attached: 1566202138770.png (246x184, 721)

>DQXI is a game for people that actually enjoy playing games.
Here's the problem: i only play games for the gameplay, and if you take out the gross fanservice and humongous, constantly interrupting story, you're not left with much. It's a basic by-the-numbers JRPG.

When did he say otherwise?

>Three steps above watching grass grow while scratching your balls
Why did this tickle me so

>with the opposite sex

Can Confirm. Love the series. Incels btfo.

Attached: B878D0CE-ABD8-42A0-85DF-0A9D5962F8FB.jpg (441x434, 92K)

>DQXI is a game for people that actually enjoy playing games.
>posts a webm that doesn't have any actual gameplay footage

Absolute truth in that post. Fanservice was a mistake.

This is why Western games will always be superior. If you haven't fully converted to the westernpill, what are you doing?

Don't reply to the weeb anonbros. We have our superior western games, and that's all that matters.

That's why I will always say Sony made the right call in moving their HQ to California. The guys over there actually know how to make games, but that's a given considering that's where Silicon Valley is located..

This. Ever since they did that, the quality of the games on their platform improved significantly. Gone are the days of shallow JRPGs and gross fanservice, now we have games that actually make you think. Sadly, that's not what the sad gamers want out of a game. No wonder they like Dragon "Rinse, Repeat, and Rehash" Quest.

//v laying the absolute smackdown on the shittiness of Japanese gaming. This is why Western games will always and forever be superior. Can;t wait for TLOU2 to break the brains of every weeb on this board.

>Can;t wait for TLOU2 to break the brains of every weeb on this board.
Hellz yeah, Yea Forumsrother.

>Games in the west are either passion projects
lol

>This game is for brainlets prove me wrong
>How anybody can find such a simplistic story, characters and world engaging in any way I don't know.

Attached: soy.jpg (1080x1224, 117K)

you're clearly a brainlet and you cannot handle it
therefore, you are proved wrong

See , weeb. Know your place. The West will always be superior while Japan will always be the leech.

Brains of Western game fans
youtube.com/watch?v=jgpJVI3tDbY
Brains of Japanese game fans
youtube.com/watch?v=FveF-we6lcE

Based & Mozartpilled

How will weebs ever recover?

>games I don't like aren't passion projects
Sorry our superior and intelligent games don't have enough sexualized and objectified women for you to ogle at.

Weebs left. They know they lost the debate.

I love DQ and there's nothing anyone on this board can do about it.

It's just in time for the Switch release so its probably just some mad discord snoy trannies that are having delusions again.

For most of them you're overlooking a ton of their personality
Hero: Blank Slate, but that's the point
Erik: Trash
Serena: Devoted trad girl coping with living in her sister's shadow
Veronica: Competent prodigy who is afraid of letting down peoples' expectations, puts on an aggressive front, outspoken and a good leader despite her apparent immaturity, best girl
Sylvando: A strong desire to make others happy brought on by how repressed he was being pigeonholed into the role of a knight, best boy
Rab: The cool grandpa who lets you read his pornos when your parents aren't looking, puts on a strong front for the younger ones hoping to protect them from the tragedies he's had to go through
Jade: Trash
Hendrick: Cecil meets Steiner

Hero/Ronnie/Sylv/Rab best team btw

its because sugiyama said trannies and chinks should hang so now they are trying to sabotage DQ in the west which is unecesary since Square Enix was already on the job

DQ has a very solid battle system
Not groundbreaking by any means, but very well executed

Attached: IMG_20190923_064339.png (500x700, 94K)

It's the best JRPG to date, and the best Dragon Questo.