How required is one for enjoying a Switch?

Attached: pro controller.jpg (1300x1300, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JQUiXokUVeg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what?

Just get one. Theyre very comfy

I won't say it's required but I haven't touched my joycons since getting one

Attached: EE0_dTsVUAY01qx.jpg (1000x800, 91K)

The d-pad is absolutely terrible and I use the joycons or my 8bitdo controller for stuff like Tetris 99. Other than that it's fine.

i've got a power a and im fine with it

Just get the wireless power a switch controller

Same

If the d-pad is bad, then what's the point of getting one?

Everyone shits on the dpad but ive never had a problem with it. Its really comfortable to hold. Beats the fuck out of joycons.

Only time I've had it fuck up for me is playing tetris 99 where it will randomly read a left/right input as up and quick drop a block fucking me

I very much enjoy this purchase

>Work
>Get home
>Grab controller, go on couch, and it turns on my TV and switch
Been playing Dragon Quest Builders 2, Astral Chains, and Daemon x Machina
I don't have anything other controllers to compare it to other than a GCC and the joycons and a taiko drum, but compared to the joycons, this is a nice upgrade.

There is none don't even get a switch.

Havent played 99 but i have no problem with it in puyo tetris. I wish it was more spongy like the wiiu pro dpad though. Also that pokken controller has a great dpad. Picked on up from fucking gamestop brand new for 12 bucks. Totally worth it for the dpad alone

I really wish you could transfer the innards of a Switch Pro Controller to a Wii U Pro Controller

The d pad could be better but that can be fixed with mods. Otherwise one of my favorite controllers ever

DON'T BOTHER

why buy a switch and use it like an xbox?

If you are gonna play smash brothers with all your friends at your house. I would get some.

I just use the joycons they work well enough for me

Because i bought it for nintendo games, not to play musical controllers.

0%, you pretty much already get one in the box a Switch comes in with the little dog-head controller dock. People seriously, seriously overexaggerate how useful or good a d-pad is, I've never had any problem with the directional buttons

>leave joycons attached
>play with pro controller in TV mode
>pull the whole system off the dock and play it handheld when I want

What has the best d-pad of any Switch controller? I want something good for playingUNICLR when that comes out and the inevitable TTT2 port.

If you don't like clicks, Hori's Pokken Pad.
If you don't like cross pads, Retrobit's Genesis.
Don't listen to 8bitdo shills.

Attached: soy.jpg (1500x1500, 133K)

SN30 Pro's pretty good, closest thing you'll get to a straight modernized SNES controller. If you're gonna dick with the d-pad's internals on an official Pro controller then why not do it for something substantially cheaper, since people report oversensitivity or undersensitivity that are correctible with SN30 Pro.

Attached: 1540549359297.jpg (1743x913, 131K)

if you want to play docked it is the way to go

Well if you only play handheld it's pointless. If you mostly play docked get it. Dpad is shit though. Official nintendo joycon dpad never ever

Hori Pokken

Attached: 4ad4bb23-b4ab-46dd-9f67-2c6f53269e1a__79994.1509476652.jpg (1280x1091, 79K)

Can confirm pokken pad is fucking based I use it all the time

will uniclr actually have a scene on Switch?

Not at all. I prefer using my PS4 controller.

Attached: 41kq89aP6YL._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 32K)

I don't know, it feels way better than the fucking joycons, but at the same time it feels inferior to the Gamecube controller.

Attached: 1510694574326.jpg (777x759, 271K)

>h-haha I'm doin it!

I had to buy one cause playing in handheld mode and with joycons was cramping and hurting my hand. Also the D-Pad isn't that bad like people are saying.

Should I get the wired one with DK theme for 15 dollars.

What said. The only time you'll use your joycons afterward is in handheld mode or for multiplayer.

>not getting the mayflash version instead

Attached: 61rWvd7Mf2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (1459x1240, 67K)

what?

Why is start/select offset? Why os the circle around the dpad smaller than the circle around abxy? I hate the way this controller looks. Throw it away.

No. They might be officially licensed but they feel as cheap as they cost. I'd save up for a pro controller.

>Also the D-Pad isn't that bad like people are saying.
Yea Forums has the bad habit of overstating problems, but it's a fact that the d-pad has accidental inputs. You might not not notice it if you only play games where you use the Dpad for menus, but for fighting games it's shit.

Stay mad, nigger, one of the greatest controllers ever has always looked like that. Only real difference is start/select being raised to accommodate the joysticks.

Attached: 1568287553145.png (768x768, 311K)

It's still great for anything that doesn't use the d-pad.

Analogue sticks are pretty good, better than on the Joy-Cons. Still supports motion control, rumble, NFC for amiibo. You'd want to use it for games that make heavy use of gyro aiming like Splatoon 2.

The default controller is one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever used

Oops, meant for this one.

It's worth it if you play docked at all.

Do these things support rumble?

The pro controllers D-pad is very easily fixable with some tape.

It was like that on the original SNES controller, see They don't make them like that any more though. Newer ones look like this. Pro Plus as pictured, or Pro without grips and other features like reprogrammable button layouts.

Attached: 01-l.jpg (1920x1121, 356K)

Söy doesn't affect testosterone you fragile white boi

New ones are manufactured because of Nintendo crying copyright like you mention, but it's still insanely easy to get ahold of one that physically resembles an SNES controller. Amazon still has a merchant available with the old SNES-style SN30 Pros I believe

I bit the bullet after the first year of buying shitty powerA controllers. Dont bother with third party quality. Just save the hassle and get that controller

Attached: 1553124277720.png (1500x1500, 1.15M)

Dunno, but there's no PC version announced and I'm done buying multiplayer games on PS4.

Get used to your joycons so you can play any game comfortably in tv or portable mode.

What does that have that the 8bitdo doesn't, other than worse reviews on Amazon?

Yeah, I still have one and I still use it as a wireless controller since it looks great, but I've recently been using a wired SN30 Pro and it works great too.

There's a faulty firmware update for the controller though that causes the analogue sticks to get stuck for a split second, every 10 or so seconds. Just avoid that firmware update, up/downgrade to v1.02

The analogue sticks appear to be the exact same parts as the earlier models, so it's probably going to suffer with the same wearing down problem as the older controller. Luckily 8bitdo will ship you free replacement parts if you ask for them, and it's easy to replace them.

Attached: 02-l.jpg (1920x1300, 305K)

Wired support.

The cap throwing in odyssey is kinda awkward using the pro. Other than that I think its the superior controller.

Attached: 869402787434.png (321x384, 150K)

Buying one was probably one of the best decisions I made. Not putting up with drifting joycons, or waiting for repairs that only last 6 months

this and the dpad issues, wish they would just rectify this issue at the factory or something

The newer firmware brought support for it.

D-pad being shit is a meme.
A lot of controllers had faulty d-pads, that's a fact, but mine works perfectly fine and it's a great controller.
Reminder that most people saying the dpad is shit are just parroting and probably don't even have one.

I can't say that I've had any issues with the d-pad, but if the issue could be described I might understand it.

I've had some bad inputs when playing Tetris 99 for example, but I feel like that's on me and not the controller.

I just got a switch 4 days ago, playing BotW and I'm having no issues with the default controller. Slightly uncomfortable and I ordered a Pro anyways, but I kinda regret it now because I'm used to the default one.

The joycons in the controller thingy feel fine unless you have giant hands but if you're planning to have long play sessions a pro is a good investment to keep your joycons from wearing out too quickly; if you don't want to shell out the $60-$70 an official pro costs you may want to look into the third party versions, Power A's controllers in particular are fairly popular and PDP makes GameCube-style ones.

I've had constant problems with hallowknight misreading up and right inputs.

It's alright, not as necessary as getting a good grip case for the console
You can still use the joycons to great effect when playing docked, but honestly the difference from using the thing with no grip case to having one is huge

I managed just fine with the Joycon grip, I never found it to be uncomfortable and will choose to use it during multiplayer sessions so there's no (unwarranted) impression that the guest is getting the "Mad Catz" controller.

That said, Pro controller is a straight upgrade to the usability of the system. Not only do you get a nice controller, your Joycons are always ready to go for handheld play.

I have no issue going from one to the other, you don't really get un-used to the grip

youtu.be/JQUiXokUVeg

Definitely gonna do this

Not at all. That being said, I do enjoy the hell out of it. It's a bit slick if you got ridiculously sweaty hands like I do.

Yes

Joycons with the controller handle is fine, but this controller will outlive the joycons when they get drift

this
I don't even use handheld mode anymore

neat.

This

When I first got the switch I was using that stupid plastic thing to turn the joycons into a controller. I still found the analogs to be too tiny. Getting the pro controller, though it costs too much $$, it really is one of the comfiest gamepads I have ever used. The triggers aren't as good as the Xbone but the Dpad is way better.

How's the 8bitdo D-Pad?

Came here to post this.

Attached: 1568275389380.png (633x874, 56K)

The aesthetic packaging makes me want to actually try one. They couldn't possibly be popular if they tasted bad, right?

it's not required but it is much better than the joycons. joycons are okay but the pro controller is great.

The chocolate one is good. The vanilla one is too sweet imo and tastes a little plasticy.

Not required at all, but I hate the L2/R2s on it. Might just be mine, but it feels like I have to push down a harder than I think to get them to work sometimes.

Joy cons are fucking AWFUL. This controller is a 7/10 in my opinion. The drawbacks are no analogue buttons, no headphone jack, bad d-dpad.

this

Sucks that I have to use one of these for my Wii U Pro Controller. Wish the Switch just natively supported it.

Attached: WiiUPro.jpg (750x555, 52K)

this right here, my joycons are in perfect condition because I never use them

Attached: B200C13E-0860-49D1-8DC9-8D07803B61A8.jpg (1214x750, 336K)

/thread

I got one and never used it.

this. its a fucking great controller, only thing i dont like is the glossy plastic front.

100% the joycons are fucking awful

I never got the Pro Controller meme, mostly because it was hefty $70. But when my left joy-con started to drift, I decide to finally nab one.
Haven't looked back at the JCs ever since. Its not needed but definitely better suited for most games.The D-pad could be better for example, but otherwise its really comfy to hold and use

At first I thought, the joycons would do just fine. Then there was a sale for the pro for 55 dollars that was a tough call, but I got it and never regretted the decision. It's 60 dollars at most though. Feels durable, feels comfortable, best night I had in awhile was grabbing the controller and plopping myself on the couch.
My joycons stays with the screen and only used when I want to go handheld mode and comes out for player 2/3.

Do you have to play a ridiculous amount of hours for them to drift. Hasn't happened to me yet. I would say about 300 hours of gaming on the thing.

I got the hori and face off instead. Both are good for my couch co-op sessions. The pro controller lasts fucking eons between charges. What the fuck kind of battery did they put in the thing?

is the scale in these photos all fucky or is this thing like 3x the size of a duke?

>D-pad being shit is a meme.
>A lot of controllers had faulty d-pads, that's a fact

It's comfy and great for 3D games but not ideal for 2D, stick to the joycon buttons or pick up an 8bitdo pro+ for dpad games.

is there a version of this without the abortion tier symmetrical sticks?

>really want a switch
>have wanted one for a long time, but have been patient in waiting for a switch pro, or at the very least, improved joycons like wiimotes with motion plus eventually came out
>really, really want to play Astral Chains
I don't know how much longer I can wait. There was a 3 year break between the 3DS and the N3DS, if something doesn't come out next year then I'll bite the bullet and buy one.

Attached: 1536813316040.jpg (408x414, 27K)

I really want to know why it's seemingly so hard to make a decent d-pad. I don't think there's been a single controller in the past ten years that hasn't had someone complain about how shit the d-pad is.

>a percentage of controllers have problems
>therefore, the controller is bad

?

something being faulty is generally considered a bit shit, mate

>controller
>aiming

Only purchase for Switch that's 100% regrettable.

Dpad is trash and buttons are retardedly placed/sized for most games if you're not a casualfag.

All of them are shit. The way the dpad is made makes it fuck up. It's not some, it's all.

The only exception is people who have opened it up and put tape inside to cover the shitty huge contacts which are what make them fuck up.

casualfag here, whats wrong with the buttons?

I'll say this.
I fucking loved my joycons and used them a lot for the first year of my launch switch and only used my pro controller for splatoon.
When smash released I started using them all the time and now that my joycons are super shitty and wont respond, theyre all I use.

>only 300 hrs

nigger what are you doing here?

i want this

Attached: https___hypebeast.com_image_2019_06_square-enix-dragon-quest-slime-nintendo-switch-controller-001.jp (800x533, 26K)