What it could have been

What it could have been...

Attached: half-life-2-2002-hydra.jpg (1280x934, 196K)

It could have been peak depressioncore.

ugly?

it'd still have bland gameplay but the atmosphere would make up for it

They scrapped Hydra because they thought it was not fun.

I miss when all the game companies considered the OICW SO COOL AND FUTURISTIC.

Stalkers were creepy as fuck in the leaks.

They also scrapped the Antlion maze because some dumb mongoloid who couldn't navigate his way out of a bathtub kept going in a circle for half an hour. Fucking normalfag playtesters.

HL2 sucked!
Duke Nukem Forever would have changed the entire gaming market forever if it came out in 2001

Are you that retard who keeps posting threads begging for some imaginary person to leak the 2001 build of DNF?

Attached: 1568796986979.jpg (1185x945, 128K)

>spend every waking moment spent on Yea Forums bitching about valve
>cry self to sleep about the cut content from half-life 2
Is it just abandonment issues? What causes someone to do that?

it's almost like Yea Forums isn't one person

FORFEIT THE GAME
BEFORE SOMEBODY ELSE TAKES YOU OUT OF THE FRAME
AND PUTS YOUR NAME TO SHAME
COVER UP YOUR FACE
YOU CAN'T RUN THE RACE
THE PACE IS TOO FAST
YOU JUST WON'T LAST

Couldn't think of a more pre-programmed response, as if this place wasn't full of hypocrites.

you got me, I am the Yea Forums

No, I'm Yea Forums!

Attached: spartacus.jpg (225x225, 7K)

Citadels appearing out of thin air is kinda lame. Hoped they were like fucking spears chucked into Earth from Space.

It's funny, because Duke Nukem Forever tries its absolute best to copy Half Lie 2 as hard as it can. You can absolutely tell that Broussard played HL2 and immediately decided that that was what DNF was going to be.

> Non-combat beginning
> same style of exposition breaks
> physics interactions in the environment
> "airboat sections" with the monster truck
> similar pacing

It's hilarious how hard it tries.

There's no FTL STAH WAHZ travel and spaceships in Half-Life, that's why teleportation is such a big deal.

What kind of answer were you looking for then you absolute goon?

Anything that I haven't read a hundred times before.

You know what, you're right. Everyone on here is just one person.

>still have bland gameplay
Name 3 good FPS game release at that time with better gameplay

there's that other game that sold 5 copies where you could walk and shoot, much better than half life 2 that sold a billion copies and you could walk and shoot

Right.

F.E.A.R

You am I bothering with kids that don't play games !

Anyway at that time, not other game had a physic engine as cool as this one. The game had also pretty large maps. It was also very well optimized. The game could run on pentium 3 without hiccups. It was also one of the most brilliant enemies AI release at that time. HL2 was a huge step in video games whether you like it or not kid. You just had to be there when it was release.

FEAR was release a year later and staff mention that they changed quite a lot of the game when HL2 came out because they were very impressed by the technology. They made massive improvement of their lighting and AI after. Very good game though.

You mean that keep that keeps getting posted on webm threads but nobody here actually played it?

I've play all of them. Perseus Mandante was the peak faggot

The game need a larger variety of enemies.

Attached: Assassin.jpg (414x735, 62K)

I play through the first one at least once a year, every October.

Yeah, perseus mandate is the peak faggot game.

I'd let her do variety of things to my dick.

Why is grey fox in half-life?

>bland gameplay
if you think HL2 is bad you should see HL1 with its confetti bullets

yes

>HAHAH DUKE COPIED HL2!!!
no it didnt, unlike halflife 2 DNF 2011 has gameplay

HL2 is a literal tech demo

stop shitposting kid

Only known image of this Combine Soldier skin

so is doom

Dumb faggot

For a board that spends all of their time talking about video games, you guys sure don't know anything about them.

Those basically are beta versions of the Advisors.

samefag harder child

Hydras have nothing to do with Advisors
What the hell am I reading

Ant lion maze sounds like a slog. If a play tester is retarded enough to get turned around that only tells me evertythibg looks the same and boring. The beach was amazing

The tentacle/hydra was a shit gimmick of an enemy anyways.
If they could make a full enemy out of it, intact, it might have been a different story. pic related is just a static model in HL1, but there are references to an unused entity called tentacle_maw in its files. No idea what it could have been though.

Attached: tentacle-base.jpg (474x833, 26K)

I love Half Life 2, I don't know why it's cool to trash it now. Still way better than most games today. Not mad or anything, its just weird.

It wasn't maze, it was a single section where you could be caught in a loop if you didn't pay attention and took the right turn instead of the left, which is fairly easy to happen when you're trying to run away from the antlion guard.

wdym?
The advisors were telekinetic enemies; they were always meant to attack the player with biotics and physics objects.

That’s why half life 3 will be full fucking vr if it gets released so they can push that new meme. They saw how poorly vr was actually received just recently and scrapped it. It will be back when vr is more mainstream screenshot this post

Contrarianism

I just think HL2 is way overrated.
I personally think HL1 is much better because HL1 had a better atmosphere.
Just my opinion.

It amazes me how fun it is to come back to it even after two decades of its release. It's just an enjoyable experience, whether you're going through the whole game again or mess around with cheats.

This game truly is replay value at its finest.

Anyone who says this has not played Half-Life 1 recently.

Nah I'm just a sucker for the trope that HL1 goes for.
Same reason I absolutely love System Shock 2 and DeadSpace.

Yeah, exactly. Maybe people are just mad that 3 will never come out. Haha

Atmosphere is subjective, but it has better dynamics facilitating player-npc and npc-npc interactions, the world is more rich because those systems have their roots in them trying to simulate the full ecosystem of Xenos in the game and their interactions with the human factions and the game world, and the scripted sequences were shorter and more crude, so you could sequence break easily with interesting results.

HL2 had a lot of world building in the background and some interesting systems carried over from HL1, but they didn't have as much depth. They cut almost all of the really interesting mechanics and novel concepts they had experimented with through its development.

Best video game character ever.

Attached: download.jpg (474x639, 30K)

Subjectively (but objectively in a few aspects), HL2 was a bit of a downgrade from HL1 in mechanics and pacing. They traded raw, crude action, for carefully crafted set pieces and scripted sequences that gate the player time and again. HL1 does it too but only in a few spots and it's way less obtrusive. Also had better enemy and weapon variety.

Nearly all the interesting synth enemies they had slated for HL2, they cut out of the final version.

>more enemy variety than simply humans with guns
>instead of a stroll trough 80's Yugoslavia suburbs you were supposed to traverse earth getting terraformed for the alien overlords with strange flora and fauna
Did Valve getting hacked and beta HL2 getting released REALLY mess up the development that hard?
Reading and looking at the beta version it's a completely different game in pretty much every way.

>fucking spears chucked into Earth
They're not space niggers.

No. By the time they were hacked, they were already in the phase and setting that they used for retail HL2. The most interesting premise for the concept had already been scrapped.

They had locked down rough concepts of everything but didn't have anything coherent put together at the time. After the hack, they made some cuts, took what they know would work, polished it up, and put everything together.

Stuff like the wasteland, AirEx, most of the synth enemies, the scrapped versions of the characters before their rewrites -- all of that had already been scrapped.

Because everything they cut either turned out to not be fun, or wasn't simply wasn't finished. I realize you nabobs imagine Gayben with a red colored sharpie going over a drawing board and drawing a big red 'X' on whatever he arbitrarily decided to cut based solemnly on his whim, but that's not how it works.

yes, they remade the entire game from scratch because everyone already knew what was in the beta, thats why the game is so dull and boring

>wasn't simply wasn't finished

Turned out to be the case for some items but actually, it's just that their ideas for what they wanted had evolved over time, though not necessarily for the better.

Is this the cut content thread?

Attached: Boy_of_Silence_Billboard.png (732x544, 649K)

If you look at all the Bioshock Infinite demos, the entire game was completely different. The end result feels like it's been slapped together in a few months out of pieces of another game just to ship something.

Based Yea Forums ...i mean ME

Yeah, but we're only talking about the content cut from good games.

I think HL2's worst aspects are the puzzles which break the flow of the game and the "bosses" which aren't interesting.

You can't even handle the flow of cum that flushes down in your gullet and you want to talk about the flow of gameplay in video games?

Why does that gun have multiple magazines?

Infinite would have been a good game if they actually released the original version instead of gutting it.

It has a 20mm semi-automatic airburst grenade launcher, and it has a 5.56x45 rifle underneath
Called the XM29 OCIW, it was scrapped in the concept stage because it was too fucking heavy-- which is understandable because its two full sized guns welded together
made by HK

Which movie had they watched? Starship Troopers or Aliens?

I know what you mean OP, I can't wait to play through hours upon hours of drab sewer maps without any weapons

Attached: 1506387801409.jpg (504x470, 98K)

Yea Forums hates everything

For a board where everyone parrots the same exact opinions, yeah, it may as well be one person.

Attached: 1548528629527.jpg (960x641, 54K)