FF4 was the most acclaimed RPG of the 90s & early 2000s beside FF6, FF7 & Chrono Trigger...

FF4 was the most acclaimed RPG of the 90s & early 2000s beside FF6, FF7 & Chrono Trigger, why does nobody talk about it anymore?

Attached: Final Fantasy II SNES.jpg (480x407, 22K)

tell me what there is to talk about
I like the game, just genuinely curious what else you think there is to discuss.

These things work in phases. FF4 was hugely popular during the 00s, seeing a release on PS1, GBA, DS, PSP, and later even mobile and Steam. Plus, it had a sequel (After Years) which released on phones, WiiWare, part of the PSP game, and eventually a 3D remake on phones/Steam as well. A lot was probably due to it being one of the popular classic titles, with the PS1 re-releases getting people interested in the old titles again. I'll note that Chrono Trigger ended up getting a DS remake as well, around the same time.

These days, however, it just hasn't been in the limelight as much. Most of this is probably due to how much news FF15 was getting, and how much the FF7 remake is currently getting. Plus, we saw a FFX/X-2 remake being released between those times, so all of the older titles haven't been in the news much. There hasn't been any big news like the PS1 Origins/Chronicles/Anthology getting people excited about the older titles, so there's more focus on the newer stuff.

If you want to see something that nobody ever talks about, try finding news about Lufia 2. Even the DS re-design didn't spark much talk about the game series. Nevermind completely forgotten games like Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma.

Final Fantasy Tactics

I want more SRPGs...

Attached: 1566070637212.gif (602x476, 89K)

PSP version is best version.

Now I would love to see an HD sprite remaster of 6

I would love a tactics sequel.

It's called FFXII

>confusing tactics with tactics advance

No I mean a tactics sequel with the same play style

Fuck Tactics Advance.

Getting ready to play the PSP version. Should I listen to the new music or the original arrangement? Also, is After Years worth it?

I'm honestly surprised they didn't. Then again, I think that the PSP games were towards the end of the system's life cycle and they didn't want to develop more game in the same style on it. I'd say they wanted to keep the old SNES sprites (FF6 honestly looked great compared to the older games) but the mobile version looking like shit still confuses me.

I'm sure things will cycle around again and there'll be interest in the older titles, so we can see if FF6 gets a HD remake at that point.

I had high hopes on Unsung Story, but the final product is far from what I expected as a Tactics sequel

because E celebs made videos trying to shit on the story for being simplistic compared to the nu-final fantasies stories which are 7 and onwards.

4's story is incredibly easy to follow, with simple but effective twists. Are the bait and switches for characters deaths good? Not really, but they aren't nearly as bad as all the fucking youtubers make it out to be.

Simplistic does not mean bad. Complicated also does not mean bad.

FF4 is like the vanilla basic FF that paved the way for better ones later it's alright but it's been surpassed

you think you have it bad? imagine how us 5fags feel

shit taste

FF5 is legit fucking garbage though. Honestly if anything i'd say it's vastly vastly overhyped

Agreed. A little weird in some places but mostly retains some new kind of soul to it.

Either is fine usually, I tended to switch every now and then, stuff like the battle theme gets repetitive enough that switching it up might just be the better option, especially with endgame content which is a ton of battles after a ton of battles.

I like Advance in a vacuum although the thought that it turned development away from anything resembling an actual FFT sequel is unsettling. A spinoff is nice, but not if it marks the end of things.

it's still a travesty that its original form never made it stateside. An incomparable one, for sure.

I love 5, and people don't really shit on 5's story. It's also simplistic, but in all honesty, fewer people play 5 than the other FF games, from what I've noticed.

Again, another story that is simple, and effective. I've only seen a handful of complaints that the story didn't try to be more like 4's with a bigger narrative focus on character interaction. Which is funny because that's basically what 4 was trying to be: another shot at a character driven story ala 2.

5 is like the perfect mix between fun charcters and a non-complicated story. not to mention the great gameplay.

All FFs are good for different reasons. there's one for everyone, but I'll never understand people who lambast the ones that don't mesh with their personal tastes.

Apologize

Unsung Story was 100% bait. They made claims about some original FFT/FFXII people working on it, but apparently they'd just hired one JP to do some promotional sketches for the Kickstarter and that was literally it. He wasn't even involved in the game development proper. Then again, everything about Unsung Story was fucked and I'm honestly surprised it's still alive.

>is After Years worth it?
After Years is quite different. It's played in chapters and you can pick which chapter to play in pretty much any order. Each chapter revolves around a specific character so they don't interact. Also, the end of each chapter has a randomized dungeon you can go into repeatedly. The intent was to give people lots of playtime with each chapter, since they were originally released months apart.

How good it is depends on how much you liked FF4. If you really, really liked the FF4 gameplay and just wanted an excuse to play more, then it offers more. If you really liked the characters and just wanted to see more of them, then you can do that. However, it's honestly not as good as FF4 and not the same sort of game. So if you are expecting another FF4 - where you follow a story and character plots and fly around the world - then you will be disappointed. Go play FF6 instead. If you just want to grind and see some extra story for the FF4 characters, though, then After Years is good for that.

The PSP game also has Interlude, which is played between FF4 and After Years. It's just a short "chapter" connecting the two.

I've honestly not seen anybody shitting of FF4 specifically, at least no more than other JRPGs. Although I don't typically watch e-celebs so perhaps I just missed it.

He's right, FF4, FF6, FF7, FF9, V.Story, FF10, FFT, FF12, FF14RR are the only good ones

Nope, there's a reason they didn't bring it over at first and honestly it should have stayed gone

I'd argue that the ATB was designed for FF4 and hasn't been done well in another game. A bunch of enemies in FF4 are designed around the ATB system. You have bosses where you want to delay attacks. You have enemies which speed up or slow down depending on how you act. You have enemies which specifically break the system to "counter" and you have slow/haste which is frequently effective in giving you an edge. Most other FF games don't put as much effort into how their enemies interact with the ATB system, and so they are just standard bosses which either attack more frequently than normal or just don't do anything interesting with ATB.

Pissed me off they based the Steam version on the DS game instead of the PSP. Then again they would have made it a hideous mess like the FFV and VI ports if they went sprites.

Attached: 1543200025801.jpg (770x746, 42K)

>doesn't like soulful FF11
>likes WoW-ripoff FF14

What do you want to talk about? I'm a big fan and I'm here.

I feel that. The low-poly 3d just looks so out of place, it doesn't ring any feeling at all. The updates sprites have a kinda uncanny valley look to them but are still a far better representative.
I just feel bad for the people that play the remake through PC and never get to see a nice 2D presentation of it.

The same reason nobody talks about Gold Box adventures; antiquated RPGs don't really have much to talk about and zoomers probably never played them anyway.
It was a good, solid fun game. Story was okay but overshadowed by FF6 which had more interesting complications with the World of Ruin compared to the Hollow Earth where all the dwarves live lali-ho and the summoned beasts' village is where time passes differently apparently!
Sure, it got weird when suddenly you hopped on board the SPACE WHALE to confront the ancient evil of the malicious Lunarians who intended to be reborn on the planet, but lets face it Zeroroxomaximus wasn't any stranger than an insane world-tree that wants to destroy all life to return to nothing or Necron out of nowhere (oh hey come to think of it the insane soul-eating tree summoned Necron the embodiment of nothingness accidentally because it was transferring soul energy between worlds and junking souls into nothingness. DEEPEST LORE)

GBA audio doesn't bother me nearly as much as the ugly art of the PSP.
I really love how lighthearted 5 can be. I had some chuckles playing it.

Rydia is still my one and only waifu over 20 years later.

Attached: 1538462945854.jpg (568x800, 463K)

Yeah thought it was meh on the ds.

She's pretty tops.
I still can't decide which among the mature or young version is more hnnngh. Maybe it's just different forms of hnnngh.

Attached: 1222781894281.jpg (480x640, 45K)

>I love 5, and people don't really shit on 5's story. It's also simplistic, but in all honesty, fewer people play 5 than the other FF games, from what I've noticed.

What Final Fantasy game has the most complicated story?

>Shits on FF5
>Likes FF12
Shit taste confirmed

>I just feel bad for the people that play the remake through PC and never get to see a nice 2D presentation of it.
they can always emulate the authentic thing if they really have hangups about it