Playing platformers with joystick/arrow keys

>playing platformers with joystick/arrow keys
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Attached: file.png (640x480, 454K)

arrow keys are fine if you aren't a subhuman with a mechanical keyboard

I hate getting a side scroller or metroidvania that only works with the stick.
Feels so unnatural.

there are games that actually do this?

>arrow keys are fine if you aren't a subhuman with a mechanical keyboard
Do you mean without?
Because fuck I could not imaging playing ape escape on a membrane keyboard.

yeah a couple playstation metroidvanias. I think guacamelee and maybe bloodstained?

>zoomers

Using the joystick let's you swim in any direction in Rayman Origins. Can't do that with the d-pad.

>no official dpad joycon yet

fuck nintendo

Arrow keys are no different to a dpad if you have half a working braincell and in some cases more accurate

keyboard is the best way to play though, I wish there was a d-pad as good as arrow keys

Just get a custom shell. Gives the DPAD a nice clickyness to it.

got any recommendations?

Why not?

I got some transparent purple shells from BASSTOP I like, but you might be able to find the same shells from someone else

The 3ds Samus returns does this. The controls feel regressed from super, not improved

This joystick is unironically better than any dpad..

Attached: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fa%2Fa5%2FGameCube_controller.png&f (1800x1400, 2.2M)

That's mostly because the d-pad is in a terribly awkward position on the 3DS.

Agreed. I love metroid games but I couldn't stomach playing the Metroid 2 Remake. Analogue controls for 2D platformers are dogshit, ESPECIALLY when it's that horrible 3DS circle-pad. And the game gives you no fucking way to remap either, of course.

Maybe eventually I'll try the game out on an emulator with the controls properly mapped to a d-pad.

d-pad is fine on 3DS. I use it all the time. the circle pad is complete shit.

The d-pad itself is fine, sure, but not the position it's in.

It's easier to play on a keyboard, but since I got a snes usb controller I've stuck with it when playing emulated snes games, unless it's multiplayer.

the d-pad on the 3ds, including its position, is fine.

Playing on keyboard is fine as long as you use the WASD keys you retards

Not him. But some membrane keyboards are good.

You must have one fucked up left thumb.

Anybody reccomend me some games like hollow knight? I hate bullet hell style games, and need good or at least decent combat

Megaman zero/zx collection, its coming out early next year i think
You can emulate them now too if you want

It is the way to play, in fact.

Cheap membrane keyboards are more responsive for gayming than mechanical keyboards

All membrane keyboards ghost, it's a flaw with how the board itself works.

Thanks for the reccomendation! Much appreciated, user

Never had any problems ever with it. I'll only use the circle pad when absolutely required

Attached: IMG_20190921_190417489.jpg (2448x3264, 1.33M)

I know. Does ape escape require you press a lot of buttons at the same time?

WSAD IJKL and Arrow keys.

we use the same home menu theme.
my launch 3ds used to dig into my hand because of the sharp corners and small size, but ever since the XL I've had no problems with my 3ds.

You're supposed to hold your controllers with your fingertips, not cramming your wrists and palms against them

This. I had to stop using my clacky keyboard cuz all my inputs felt delayed

Overgeneralization. Some mechanical keyboards are garbage. But some are very good.

It's because it has the notches, it allow it to do perfect 8 directional inputs with way more consistency than on Playstation/Xbox.

>playing platformers with an input device thats precise
yeah why would i ever want to do that

I disagree
also the GC d-pad is awful, speaking of

I think the 2014 Strider game did this?

>tfw controllers don't have good d-pads anymore
There is no reason the PS4 and Bone don't have Saturn pads on the controllers.

I guess it was because of the free aiming. Which was kinda unnecessary, eight directions is enough to shoot anything that is onscreen.

All mechanical keys take longer to actuate than low-profile membrane keys.

It's worse than that, because 360 degree aiming actually makes it feel less precise, because you're never quite sure where your aim is going to be. With normal digital controls, you know your aim is fixed to 45 degree increments, and you know exactly what you're getting. But with free aim you might think you're quickly firing off at a 45 degree but actually you end up doing 35 degrees or 50 degrees or something like that and missing the mark.

And then there's Samus Returns' gameplay shift to focus on its dumb melee gimmick by making all the enemies bullet sponges in order to force the melee to be useful.

1. There are low profile mechanical keys. But we'll ignore those.
2. Longer is not a measurement of time, it is a measurement of distance. Low profile membrane switches are usually scissor switches. Scissor switches are more tactile and require less key travel than conventional rubber dome membrane switches, but let's continue.
3. "All" is blatantly incorrect. Switches actuate at different points. Some mechanical switches actuate at 1.2mm of key travel. Many mechanical switches actuate at 2mm. Scissor switches, such as those in Apple's aluminum keyboard, actuate at 2mm. Most membrane switches, including scissor switches, with the exception of, for example, the excellently designed buckling spring over membrane, require the user to bottom out when pressing. Most mechanical switch mechanisms do not require you to bottom out, which is why they tend to actuate at around an identical key travel as scissor switches.
Conclusion #1: usually around the same key travel. Some mechanical switches require less.
Conclusion #2: you are a fucking idiot.

How the hell do you play any platformer with the D-pad and buttons on different levels? i hear people complain about the symmetrical sticks on the dualshocks all the time and I have no fucking idea what they're talking about.

Attached: 61ctfFQjHlL._SL1000_.jpg (1000x760, 96K)

The Xbox 360 D-pad is one of the worst things about the controller. It's okay for one-off button presses but it's so bad that many cheap knockoff controllers did it better.

at least post a controller with a good dpad

Attached: file.png (1041x700, 440K)

You first.

Oh wow look at this retard

obvious samefag
next you will tell me that disc shaped abortion of a dpad on the 360 is good
i tried playing platformers when i got my 360 and it was atrocious

Guacamelee works fine, i beat the 1st and 2nd game. Now Hollow Knight, that one plays like absolute ass since its made for stick

If you want to play precision 2d platformers I don't understand how you'd want to use a controller.
Using only your thumb for both left and right instead of two different fingers seems extremely inefficient but maybe it's because I'm too used to playing these with a keyboard.

Attached: 1551493988625.png (800x608, 718K)

No samefag here.
I agree the fucking 360 dpads fucking sucked ass but they did that one thing with their later controllers where itd twist to a proper Dpad. I always thought that was really cool. However you can never convince me that ANY of the Playstation Dpads were good, all of them were shit. You know what Dpad was good? Fucking dreamcast dpads

Attached: 1335850515680.jpg (251x236, 6K)

Why would you assume that since someone dislikes the PS D-pad that they like the 360 D-pad?

you posted the wrong one

Attached: playstation-accessories-hub-dualshock-4-jet-black-01-ps4-us-10may18.png (575x384, 227K)