Has any group ever made an attempt to try to tune down the file size for 50GB+ games like DOOM to be around 20 gigs...

Has any group ever made an attempt to try to tune down the file size for 50GB+ games like DOOM to be around 20 gigs? I think it should be possible, most of the game's file size comes from the uncompressed textures I think? Compressing each to around 3-4mb should reduce it quite an amount

Attached: apuq.png (741x568, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space–time_tradeoff#Compressed_vs._uncompressed_data
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sounds pretty disrespectful to the developer's vision. Huge files sizes is an artistic choice

>frogposter
>brainlet ideas
pottery

If that Yea Forums meme were true and it was that easy they would do that. Stop listening to retards on here and taking their nonsense at face value.

Yeah, I don't care.

Try actually explaining why it's a brainlet idea, saying "this is dumb" is basically you telling everyone that your IQ is lower than your chromosome count

large reductions in file size have been achieved by just removing copy protection on some games

I have more chromosomes than you, bitch

Shit's gonna take CPU processing power. That's basically the dilemma since the beginning of computing. Reduce memory = increase computation, increase computation = reduce memory. Performance is top priority in games, so of course you wouldn't compress things. I remember KGB though(offline archives, like RAR/ZIP), it achieved some good compression ratios.

Dont know about you guys, but (almost) every torrent I get from a russian site is almost always compressed in the installer without making the qualoty of installed product suffer.

So you have downs? Good to know

>Russian site
Thanks for the bitcoins kiddo

Attached: 1560917215771.png (1000x1000, 177K)

holy shit, I'm shitfaced, sorry. I meant
>Reduce memory consumption = increase computation, Reduce computation = increase memory consumption

Forgot to link as well: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space–time_tradeoff#Compressed_vs._uncompressed_data

Jokes on you, its a registration based russian tracker that was opened more than 10 years ago. Perks of knowing russian while not being one.

lol none of its real. like just make everything be 1mb. why are computer nerds so dumb

yeah man, like, just delete it... I dont get why they bloat that shit like its some important effort stuff in there.

Its all virtual shit. Its not a real physical thing. So just make everything take up hardly any virtual space

What tracker?

man that shit goes over my head,,, its just not real right? so why does it have space?

But seriously, is there any group that does this? I wanna play GTA V but 50 gigs is retardedly big

Probably not. Like I said, it will be laggy as fuck to decompress it on the fly.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space–time_tradeoff#Compressed_vs._uncompressed_data

Isn't this basically what repacks are in the pegleg community

bump