How does one improve the video game controller the same way the NES revolutionized home console controllers?

How does one improve the video game controller the same way the NES revolutionized home console controllers?

Attached: de0f10ba85da453ae44909e00f94719d-768x432.jpg (768x432, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=etBufTl7slc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

add dual analog sticks
oh wait that already happened

just stop making them with cheap parts before considering changing them

What feature could be added that would force all companies in making it standard accord all controllers.

use cherry switches

>add new feature
>no one use it because it's simpler to stick to the standards that work on every platforms

I only have 360 controllers as a PCfag.

Dualshock 4 disliked that

I'd argue the latest model of Xbox elite controller is peak controller. I don't think it can get better outside of a d pad fix.

Not even an xbox fag. I use that shit on PC.

more buttons

Dual analog, pressure sensitive buttons, analog buttons, pressure sensitive buttons. All the stuff Sony added

One fuckhuge flat thing with like 100 buttons and one smaller with like three buttons but with a sensor undeneath which works kind of like a Wii controller but actually good.

back paddles so you don't have to do the horrible claw grip
other than that, nothing

Definitely agree
More buttons were? You have to consider hand placement and how comfortable it isl

That's stupid, because twin sticks work better for 3pv platformers and shit

motion controls and more sensitive analog sticks to go along with it

16-way dpad

more buttons all over the controller

the return of the numpad

heartbeat/vital/etc sensors

better ergonomics, obviously

back of the controller, except instead of being alternate way to press the same buttons, it could actually be new buttons

put a wire back on it and get rid of the batteries. also pressure sensitive face buttons should come back

Good idea I also like how the scuff vantage (garbage ass overpriced controller btw just like every scuff) added two new buttons on the side

Attached: SCUF Vantage Wireless Pair.png (1460x852, 792K)

Requiring developers to support gyro would be a significant improvement. I would prefer not to wait for a PC port to be able to use all of the features of my PS4 controller. Even then, developers feel the need to go out of their way to prevent me from using it, so there is a 50-50 chance that games won't work. The only way to actually add a new feature to a controller is to make exclusive games like Nintendo or have the features supported on the platform level so it is no longer up to developers.

Attached: 1285637968012.gif (233x120, 149K)

I just want a DualShock 3 with better Bluetooth support than now
Having to buy a Bluetooth adapter and install dubious drivers work, but I'd still prefer official support

>You have to consider hand placement and how comfortable it isl

Attached: adabet24_pad_tył.jpg (1000x693, 365K)

Lost me at number pad

Literally, add more buttons on the fucking back.
You have four fingers doing fuck-all (or six, if you're a dummy) and there's plenty of free real-estate sitting on the underside.
There are some third-party manufacturers (and even some 'experimental' first-party controllers out there, but for some ungodly reason Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are scared out of their mind about the prospect of a controller with more than two joysticks, one-dpad, four buttons, and four bumpers/triggers. Heck, Microsoft could bring back the black-white buttons from the xboxhueg days and I'd be happy.

Pic related, but it's a fuckugly example.

Attached: Razer-Wolverine-Ultimate-Xbox-One-Controller.jpg (1500x1000, 86K)

RAZER GANG IN THE HOUSE TONIGHT
EVERYBODY'S HAVING CHROMA ON

Definitely the worst example of a "pro controller"

We need bigger controllers for fuck's sake. I'm not even that big of a guy and my hand covers 3/4 of a normal controller. It's not as bad for the Xbox shape but the dualshock ones are almost unusable.

Hold Sony controllers with your fingers rather than your palms.

Not him but controllers are more comfortable resting in your palms. The Dualshock is designed poorly.

>microsoft changed the xbox controller just enough to be annoying, muh hard edges
>sony is so ingrained in their design that they wont change the layout at all except for adding annoying blue lights that glare off of your screen
>nintendo hasn't made a good controller since the snes

if microsoft fixed the 360's dpad it would be the defacto best controller

Japanese controllers are designed for tiny Asian hands.
That's why they couldn't handle the absolute Chad that is "The Duke."

Attached: Xbox-Duke-Controller.jpg (2840x2400, 2.06M)

i wired a usb end on to mine and only stopped using it when games pretty much required 2 left/right buttons.

The WiiU pad is nice. It has nearly no input lag and the wider body make it the absolute best controller for shooters on console. The screen gives the option of having game specific buttons as shortcuts for functions that aren't important enough for a dedicated button.

Theres a new duke that came out last year for Xbox One.
>Hyperkin has added tiny left and right bumpers to account for Xbox One game control schemes. Then there’s perhaps the coolest and most significant change: When pressed, the giant Xbox jewel in the middle of the peripheral plays the original Xbox console start-up animation via a built-in LCD screen. ~Forbes

Attached: d86f0979972a510ef716709a7a2d6102.png (1913x1620, 1.21M)

The duke will always put a smile on my face. I unironically liked the design but felt it was too heavy. Though I was a sickly skinny teen when I was playing the OG xbox. So maybe I was just not enough of a chad.

Don't add stupid bullshit like that touchpad and speaker nonsense. Give me back my analogue buttons.

Awww shit. I did not hear about this... I"m going to have to pick one of these bad boys up.

is it actually bigger like the original? complaints like aren't uncommon and they could fix it by simply scaling up the size by 15%

Does the PS4 controller have the Sixaxis motion thing the PS3 controller had? Because I've genuinely forgotten if it does.

yes, I use it on PC for gyro aiming if I happen not to use the mouse (mostly for single player games from the couch)

How are the bumbers on it? They look weird.

.. and only time I used it on PS4 itself was in wipeout omega for nose pitch control (makes it easier to keep control while doing barrel rolls so don't have to hold up/down buttons at same time)

It does and they even improved it. This is why you should have played Kat's game. The developers are actually competent and keep up to date on game play trends rather than focusing on visuals and story like the other Sony developers.

Attached: thumb-1920-793602.jpg (1856x1000, 352K)

the only reason it used it was because it did on Vita as well, and main reason some games used it on vita (there's a few) is that the analog stick is small and harder to get any real precision with

..not that I'm saying every games shouldn't have it on PS4, they absolutely should

but if situation was different and not a port from vita, likely would've been ignored

New bumpers are tiny.
The new duke is just as big as the old duke.

Attached: 51yPoU3jzHL._AC_SL1100_.jpg (940x595, 37K)

Attached: gd2nwg72hdu21.jpg (2048x1536, 257K)

why the fuck would they bother replicating the controller design and then do that to the triggers?

Take a saturn controller and add dual analogue sticks along with a second set of triggers. Boom, GOAT controller.

Attached: saturn_controller.jpg (2880x1980, 2.46M)

I’ve had one DS4 that I’ve used for PC and PS4 for four years.

ds4 is complete shit

the obnoxious large circle button in the middle that you cant disable is one thing but the side start and select buttons are right next to the fucking active areas on a controller.

Everything is the Xbox or Dual Shock these days, take fucking note retard.

Because the original xbox controller never had bumpers, only the triggers. So just releasing an exact replica as-is wouldn't really cut it now when four shoulder buttons/triggers/whatever is the standard. Therefore they needed to alter the design and include a second set of shoulder buttons.

sony and microsoft already had pretty good designs but they felt the need to change them for the sake of changing them and its why both modern versions of their controllers are ass. we're already at peak design but they need to change it just enough so it looks newer than the last version and we end up with these annoyances.

Shitty d-pad, and if you aren't playing some games that require the use of such gtfo my face because your taste is shit.

>Everything is the Xbox or Dual Shock these days
>I just wanna play for god’s sake

Attached: D87B48E2-A0AF-4244-A14F-C8CE9AC6558E.jpg (171x156, 12K)

This. 360 pad is only acceptable for anything that doesn't use the d-pad. It's terrible for 2D games, and even stuff like Dark Souls where you'll constantly accidentally hit the wrong directions on the d-pad. Like you'll cycle your held items to estus but accidentally switch out your shield as well. It's incredibly annoying.

Also I hate the spherical shape of the 360 face buttons, and shoulder triggers are terrible for anything that doesn't actually use them as analogue inputs, which means 99.9% of games.

you should be using a proper controller if you want to play 2d stuff. these used to be $12 until they got popular

Attached: UGAME001200_2.jpg (640x480, 40K)

I use a dualshock 3. It's great for both 3D games and 2D games.
SNES set the standard for layouts (whether I like it or not) but it's honestly mediocre. If I were to buy a dedicated 2D gamepad, I'd get a usb saturn controller.

these are pretty new but i haven't tried them. i'm thinking about getting one. i wanted a saturn controller for my 2d stuff but there wasn't anything good out at the time so i got that buffalo snes controller, its pretty good if you can get it for cheap. i paid $12 but they are like $20 the last time i looked.

Attached: RB-SGA-022.png (1200x1200, 948K)

>retro-bit
don't they have a reputation for making really shitty products?
Also I guess the ideal product for me would be some sort of universal controller USB interface, that can take any controller and use it on PC. I already have plenty of controllers for lots of systems (nintendo, super nintendo, genesis, saturn, dreamcast, playstation, n64, gamecube, etc) and it'd be nice to have some sort of one-size-fits-all solution for just using all those via USB instead of needing to get reproductions of everything.

Needs more buttons for starters. Just make some kind of rectangular board that you can place on a desk or coffee table. Call it a “buttonboard”, if you will.
Make it easy to use with one hand, while the other can use something more precise than thumb sticks, something you can use with your whole hand for maximum control.

they're hit and miss. i cant recommend one because i haven't tried it. you can get adapters for old controllers but there isn't one magical plug for it. i would go that route if i didn't use my controllers for other platforms besides pc, that snes controller even plugs in to my friends fire tv box and works with emulators so that sort of compatibility is important to me.

micro-switches should be standard.

Attached: come on pepe.png (789x750, 18K)

You use keyboard and mouse instead.

What if we had several input standards and you can use the one that best suits the game you're playing

Because that never works unless every single games support the standard or else your fancy pants input method only works for one game. Nowadays you only have two choice, xinput or mouse&keyboard unless it's a console that can force its own new things. Of course you can always force some kinda conversions but that tend to be shitty especially with analog movement.

Customizable rumble settings so you can set it to off, light, medium and heavy. And I want the heaviest setting to rumble like the N64 rumble pack, now that thing fucking shook, not like today's wimpy rumble in modern controllers.

Attached: gi1.webm (643x466, 509K)

you'll constantly accidentally hit the wrong directions on the d-pad.
lose some weight, you fat fingered fuck.

the perfect controller

Attached: 1552877275060.jpg (406x371, 30K)

That's it. I'm sick of all this "masterwork 360 controller" bullshit that's going on in the controller tiers right now. Katana controllers deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana controller in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid noobs with my katana controller.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana controller and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest controller known to mankind.

Katana controllers are thrice as precise as American controllers and thrice as responsive for that matter too. Anything an American controller can own, a katana controller can own better. I'm pretty sure a katana controller could easily bisect a noob wearing full geek squad protection with a simple button press.

Ever wonder why America never bothered conquering Japan and just left? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined NEETs and their katana controllers of destruction. Even in the 7th console generation, American players targeted the men with the katana controllers first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katana controllers are simply the best controller that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better placement in the controller tiers. Here is the tiers I propose for Katana controllers:

God Tier
- Katana controller (counts as masterwork)
Meh Tier
- Xbox 360 Controller
- Dualshock 3
Shit Tier
- Everything else

Now that seems a lot more representative of the noobs cutting power of Katana controllers, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katana controllers need more recognition in controller tiers, see my new tier list.

Attached: katana-controller.jpg (594x594, 17K)

Attached: steam-controller-1.jpg (1920x1080, 161K)

I actually really like the DS4 and it's massive fucking button in the middle. Too bad some devs are fucking retarded and insist you use the itty bitty options button to open menus instead.

I had a XBONE controller but upgraded to a DS4 the other week

>internal battery
>bluetooth
>can use touchpad as a mouse with DS4Windows
>Plug in headphones
>Best D-pad of any controller

The 360 controller is aids, fuck that shit

there's no way to improve this shit any further.

youtube.com/watch?v=etBufTl7slc

Motion controls need to be standard. They enable a lot of games that require precise pointing to be played properly with a gamepad.

Attached: gyroscope-512.png (512x512, 16K)

Of course I am.
It's the only controller that lets me play almost any game I throw at it. I've never been so comfy playing FPS or RTS games.

>Because that never works
Except for the fact it's always worked on PC. Racing wheels, flight sticks, keyboard and mice and controllers all work on PC.

4 rear buttons/paddles as standard

more buttons for devs can help increase game complexity, if a game needs it. you can get premium controllers already, but they are just used for remapping face buttons mainly for fps games. devs won't fully utilise the hardware unless it is standard.

all I want is microswitches, higher quality plastic or some kind of metal, and easily serviceable parts for stuff that does die and wear out, like batteries or analog sticks.

Stop throwing games at the controller!

Attached: h.jpg (1534x876, 71K)

cut off the right half of the controller and add paddles
let everyone use a mouse

Are there any games I can use the gyro in the DS4 on PC with??

Literally any game you want. Just configure it with Steam. DS4Windows might be able to do it as well.