Do you prefer classic shooters or old skool shooters?

Do you prefer classic shooters or old skool shooters?

Attached: the nushooter question.png (1280x1410, 1.4M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HCsO8O4W4Fw?t=770
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

regular school shooters

Neo-Doom had better level design than OG-Doom, fight me

hallway-arena-hallway-arena isn't good level design

Classic shooters, they are just better, though ill admit painkiller is honestly pretty great due to it not having dull as fuck movement like serious sam and has actually varied and pretty levels

Devil May Cry called, says you're full of shit

I think the fast movement is necessary due to how empty some of the levels are, so you're moving across these massive expanses of nothing quickly.

both

Well yeah but i prefer that to moving across equally fuck huge levels at a snail pace like in serious sam

Devil May Cry makes up for it by having mechanics that are far superior to any shooter. Also by having its hallways and arenas look better than what is in every shooter.

I prefer Halo 5.
Its fast, its tacticool, its hard, there is variety. There is squad commands like that star wars game.
Fuck you

I'm just here to say that the Saturn version of Powerslave is the best console shooter released before 2004

>putting Serious Sam in the same bag with nu-Doom and nu-Shadow Warrior?
Seriously?

Attached: 1567210099939.jpg (570x479, 21K)

SS has everything doom 2016 did wrong and amplifies it by 100

Locking the player into an arena forces you to go all in, it's a good mechanic and a step forward.
Peeking around corners forever like a pussy was acceptable 25 years ago, but it's time to move forward. I don't wanna play Sony cinematic garbage, but I don't wanna replay literally the exact same Doom and Duke for all eternity.

I quite love saturn Powerslave and it does deserve all the attention it should get, but it hardly fits with the other games. It's a thing onto itself, and it has a very small focus on shooting. It's more of a Metroidvania or exploration game than anything else. The atmosphere is also very different, feels almost like a Tomb Raider game.

Attached: 1545330315511.webm (560x404, 2.97M)

wow OP that is some impressive " I wanna be contrarian" picture you got there. But you are right, there is NOTHING good in those "old school" games, people only played it because of stockholm syndrome. Your taste is perfect and anyone who is desagree with you is a disgusting pleb.

Attached: 1478760618465.jpg (427x427, 21K)

As Ive grown older i realized that the best a game can offer is replayability and emergent gameplay so i like neither.
give me a shooter in an open world that can be regenerated with warring factions and controlling area and resources(raw materials mined out of a mine or timber cut from a forest) that are required to fuel an economy with an emergent plot and power struggle system similair to DF and AI generated falvor text and text to speech.
Some of it can be hand crafted while some can be randomly generated including the world and different ability stats etc...
Every game can be a new experience and every game is full of interesting systems that play out differently and the player can interact with.

Think for a bit why I put it along with games like duke 3d, doom and quake which everyone has heard of

I sort of forced myself to play through the Serious Sam games, and I did play all the mainline ones since people really insist they're just underrated and HIDDEN JAM. I don't think I really enjoyed them, and not even because they're so different. But the gameplay just feels so mindless and boring, and virtually no considerations for level design, just big open areas. I really wanted to like it, but I just don't quite feel the appeal.

Attached: 1552404926854.jpg (584x483, 71K)

>he's so fucking retarded that he thinks classic fps makes you think about encounters

>give me micromanagement
No

I understand why you did it, I'm just saying, the game doesn't really fit into that retro FPS mold that tightly. The original PC game from what I've see does however, but it's a very boring gaming and does not stand out.

Oh and I just 100%'d Powerslave last week, this thread comes off as a surprise.

Attached: 1544136821628.webm (1280x720, 2.83M)

Kino coming through.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (854x480, 52K)

wait, the PC version is different? didn't they make a port of the Saturn version?

The PC port is definitely inferior but has some surprisingly nice touches. I don't think it is worthless or irredeemable. That said what differentiates powerslave works in tandem with what it features as core game play. It ties its excellent exploration with that classic target analysis and projectile dodging of other classic shooters.

Classics and Halo 1-3. I don't really like any modern shooters past Halo 3.

There are 2 pc versions now, dos and ex. Ex is the ps1 version, saturn original is still the best,

It shouldn't even have the same name, to avoid this confusion. It has most of the same weapons and visuals, but the levels and gameplay is completely different. Plays more like a doom clone with reflex based gameplay. While the consoles ports is a new game designed for the fact that you'd be playing with a controller, so they focus more in exploration rather than mowing down 10 enemies on screen and evading projectiles.

Is the psx version of Powerslave good? Game looks pretty sweet

is it hard to emulate a saturn? I'm a sucker for fps metroidvanias, but there's not many of them

>didn't they make a port of the Saturn version?
That's Powerslave EX, and it's the PS1 version, not Saturn. It's not an official port, but the company that holds the right to it hired the guy to make FPS ports for them, so it's only a matter of time.

Classic all the way bby. I've got high hopes for Wrath.

Dunno, i feel like if it's a simpler 2d game like sexy parodius it'll emulate fine. Powerslave is firing on all cylinders for a system that couldn't reasonably do 3d like that so it must be doing something crazy. I imagine it would struggle, but only one way to find out.

youtu.be/HCsO8O4W4Fw?t=770

Saturn version is generally considered the better version, but some people disagree. PS1 version has higher framerate and better water, but the engine couldn't handle as much geometrical complexity so a lot of levels are scaled down to barebones. I don't like the PS1 textures either. The autoaiming apparently is also quite broken.

i love you user

What you're describing is modern military shooters, not the FPSs from 25 years ago

I prefer fast shooters with big maps where I can ski.

Attached: beagle sandraker slow.jpg (504x360, 68K)