Why can't new games compare? What is it about old graphics that make a game look so soulfull

Why can't new games compare? What is it about old graphics that make a game look so soulfull

Attached: 114977-halo-combat-evolved-windows-screenshot-a-lovely-view-of-halo.jpg (1024x768, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamasutra.com/view/feature/131581/lessons_in_color_theory_for_spyro_.php?page=1
youtube.com/watch?v=8sZb7QPj-AM
youtu.be/MDUr8696Ve0
youtube.com/watch?v=eu66OjDfM6o
youtube.com/watch?v=BSqm5Id6Hw0
youtube.com/watch?v=i5jPy-GmyUc
youtube.com/watch?v=iGruKfiUrPU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Revival_architecture
youtube.com/watch?v=1evsES3er0U
youtube.com/watch?v=pBVYLClYe64
youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA
youtube.com/watch?v=M6nZPrMSu0w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nostalgia

because you experienced it when you werent a bitter old man

besides the obvious nostalgia, we've been in an age of diminishing returns for awhile now. compare the leaps between console gens. also the technology now tends to lend itself to tryhard photo-realism that wasn't possible before in most games

Attached: remake_bloodgultch.jpg (775x989, 272K)

halo 1 looked like shit, it just had big landscapes and an impressive skybox

hush

Attached: halo-combat-evolved-retrospective-17.jpg (1920x1080, 273K)

it's not graphics, it's the gameplay about how the whole product comes together, if we're talking Halo we're talking the game that set the standard for FPSs for the next decade, that's super duper duper

Yearly reminder.

Attached: 1272778121745.jpg (602x792, 188K)

This. People went from the Playstation 1 to these graphics overnight. That type of leap isn't possible anymore. Technically the dreamcast was inbetween, but most people skipped that.

read my post again, kid

Jesus Christ. The Remake was Desaturated as fuck. They need to make the colors pop out. As it is now the remake is boring to look at.

The art direction is good, real problem is that all the other games were cash grab sequels.

>Halo 1 looked like shit, it just had great art direction

?

It's not such a big leap from the Dreamcast though.

Whats with the uptick of this fucking soul meme lately, it seems like its posted more than usual the past few days

>people went from the playstation 1 to these graphics overnight
Nah, Halo was late 2001. FFX and Gran Turismo 3 were already out in Japan at this point.

I've played Halo 1 and Halo 3 and I still don't actually know what a halo itself does

That looks like shit actually

I just posting these pics because I think they are pretty i don't give a damn about halo 1

imagination used to fill in between the blanks

This is a thread about graphics, which implies graphical fidelity. The art style is cool, but it's technically bland and doesn't hold up as well as 32 bit games. It's the same shit we get now just with empty generic hills dotted with trees every now and then. Look at the actual landscape/level design.

Halo CE looks like shit now
But at the time it did look great, especially if you were going from the N64/PS1/Saturn era and arguably the Dreamcast as well

The rings when activated disintengrate all nonmicroscopic life in their area of effect

If I remember correctly they were super weapons built by the forerunners that they used to turn on themselves. They also made them support life before offing themselves because I guess they felt bad about wiping out entire planets with them. Covenant want to use them to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy because religion

just get a shrink ray then and make yourself microscopic, ez

Nah.
This moment was genuinely beatiful, even when I played the game for the first time in my life, which was like four years ago.

It's also the ONLY impressive moment in the otherwise entirely god-awful game. Rest looks like absolute shit.
But yeah, that one moment when you emerge from the drop pod for the first time is genuinelly beautiful, and it has nothing to do with nostalgia.
It's just a well crafted scene.

The Halos were meant to exterminate all sentient life, aka anything with a spinal cord and the flood
The rings pretty much killed most of the remaining forerunners

Attached: HM-IsoDidact.png (824x958, 1.77M)

Well that's quick and easy, I honestly knew that but I thought there was something more to it. Thanks.

How? The games literally spell it out for you.

Just greeble my shit with generic star wars looking shit senpai

Forerunners are dealing with Flood taking over everything
Forerunners build the Halo rings, which are a network of giant death ray type devices thare meant to cleanse the galaxy of life, destroying the flood and all their food.
Forerunners also built the ark, which was a bunker for select lifeforms to repopulate everything.
Plan failed and flood survived
Covenant thinks rings initiate "the great journey" and want to turn them on

Halo's lore is pretty deep and I wish that they would make a Halo game set during the end of the Forerunner-Flood War
>be unnamed Forerunner soldier
>witness all the events from his perspective
>team up with people like the Didact, Faber, Offensive Bias
>write him out of the story by having him get destroyed by the rings

>new games ba-

Attached: latest[1].png (1600x664, 1.42M)

More was left to your imagination.

Dark Souls 3 is a supremely gorgeous game. I love it, easily my favorite souls.

Its the mix of 2d objects/backgrounds. It reminds you youre in a video game world, you interact and move on 3d geometry/levels but the background is jpg blow up. That cloud looks like the same cloud from the banjo tooie cutscene where they are charging up the cannon in the tower. The n64 and dreamcast use these 2d backgrounds/objects very very well and thats why theres a lot of nostalgia around them

>halo (2001) bad and zoomer
>WoW (2004), RS2 (2004), TF2 (2007), CSS (2004), and HL2 (2004) good and boomer

Yea I don't understand this

Because Halo was a shit game, while the rest is... at least decent.

Halo is honestly mostly hated for Halo 2 and 3, because those were the games that turned what was just a sub-par shooter into a genre defining pile of absolute garbage, though everything that was wrong with the franchise was already laid out in Halo CE.

Simplicity of this graphics makes them readable at a glance. Colors have better contrast. No filters that make everything almost monochromatic.

here is a good article to read regarding this.
gamasutra.com/view/feature/131581/lessons_in_color_theory_for_spyro_.php?page=1

COMPLAINING ABOUT VIDEO GAMES GOOD
ENJOYING VIDEO GAMES BAD
that about sums it up

So bad games=zoomer no matter the release date?

Boy do I love zommer revisionism. Halo 3 is closer in gameplay to 90s shooter than Half-Life 1 is.

>why do people like skilled pc shooters over games limited by console mechanics that simplify systems that have been in pc shooters for years?

Hmmm... Nostalgia...

Attached: Screenshot-Original (3)_20170102143555540.jpg (1080x1228, 961K)

Why are you people acting stupid? This is not what i'm talking about you idiots

Boomer here. Halo is shit and always was shit. It only ever got popular because the selection of FPS's on consoles it so pathetically dire that even a mediocre game stands out like a shining gem. I played the demo on PC at release and just thought "I've played hundreds of games like this already, games better than this, and I'm just twelve or something"

You want to honestly know why?
ALOT to do with it is the lighting. Things were duller and weren't as BRIGHT as they are in the remakes.

Another thing has to do with the first time you played it. Clearly its one of your favorites and you had fun memories with it, which makes you think of the good ole days of playing with whoever ot was you played it with.

Also it was groundbreaking for the time... A split screen coop that is full campaign and you candrive vehicles? Closest thing to it was probably perfect dark or timesplitters at the time. Halo and bungie did great with thr split screen, lore, and fun factor with the game.

Halo CE was also made for PvE which is why the weapons feel good and are ridiculious in PvP in CE.. Cause PvP was a side thought.

CE has rhe best MA5B rifle sound too.. ALL other games the MA5B rifle sounded like shit.. Until 4 got the sound right... But 4 was crap along with everything after it.

Attached: Rtas_'Vadum.jpg (900x830, 119K)

>playing FPS on console, ever

Attached: Cz4-zGuXUAA4WvB.jpg (724x720, 53K)

What the absolute fuck were they thinking jesus christ.

Limp dick retard

Lighting, you say?

Attached: Screenshot-Original (3)_20161223162300113.jpg (1080x1214, 714K)

People keep saying Halo CE is a bad game but I can't see any reason why that is the case, in particular. Maybe if you hate the entire franchise or shooters in general. Maybe if you want every shooter to be done like classic Doom or Half-Life. But those are shitty reasons.

>this is what zoomers actually believe
Hilarious, try playing the glory that was hl1 dm sometime youtube.com/watch?v=8sZb7QPj-AM

Yeah, that two weapon limit coop focus regen health absolutely linear bullshit is so much like classic shooters.
I mean for fuck sake, get some god damn dignity. You grew up with shit console shooters, fine. That was long time ago, you were a little kid who did not know any better, that is fine. Nobody would mind, if you did not try to pull bullshit like this.
This is pathetic.

People who like HL2 or TF2 were in the their late teens or early 20's mostly, when those games came out.
People who liked Halo when it came out were almost exclusively people who did not yet have their testicles drop.
You do the math.

>you move faster so it's better.
grow a brain

Well I am doing math and I don't think 4 year olds were the main halo audience in 2001

Look at the crowd for the halo 2 launch and see the age group

youtu.be/MDUr8696Ve0

What implies they were thinking at all?

Attached: Screenshot-Original (3)_20170103202148050.jpg (1080x1214, 996K)

>having more options just means 'going fast' to morons
you tried

Commence soulposting

Attached: IMG_dd914dda-4bf9-4a9b-a362-e7f15e76d81d.png (1920x1080, 1.71M)

Attached: 1537478010253.png (1920x1080, 2.61M)

That level they did well on with the remake, though it was still too bright IMO.

I hate the redesign of the truth and reconcillaition level in the ship.. Looked too busy and bright

Attached: 37210343_476425206133444_7298868466499452928_n.jpg (960x866, 101K)

Off the top of my head, FPS-games I played before (some released WAY before) Halo which I enjoyed more

>Duke3d
>Blood
>Shadow warrior
>Quake 2 (not mentioning 1 because I was never a fan)
>Unreal
>Unreal Tournament
>Chasm
>Half-life (and mods, excluding them because then the list would never end, but CS, DoD, and Action HL are a good selection)
>Alien vs Predator '99
>Delta Force
>Doom

Probably a shitload more that I've forgotten about

Expecting decent gunplay, decent level design, decent art direction, decent encounter design or decent weapon selection is a shitty reason to hate a game?

Halo CE has one and ONLY ONE positive quality: the enemy A.I. That - I will admit, was quite above the average for it's time, and frankly, still is above the average for the genre.

Everything else about that game is mediocre, if not straight up bad. The level design is FUCKING ATTROCIOUS. The two weapon limit was always an absolutely retarded proposition, and the piss-poor level design and encounter design and overal ballancing make it even worse. The regen shield does not do the game any good either. The weapons are awful, dull and unsatisfying, the story if FUCKING. PAINFUL, and the pacing is some of the worst I've ever seen in a shooter.
Oh yeah. And the vehicle segments. Fucking. Disgrace.

It's not a good shooter. It's just straight up not. It's not the worst thing ever happened, but it's lagging ten years behind the industry. Fucking Unreal, which wasn't all that amazing to begin with, actually exceeds Halo CE in every single fucking way.
Unreal. Which was a tech demo with little to no thought given to anything but the engine, was a better fucking shooter how many years before CE?

Its music is superb desu.

Attached: IMG_0ad504df-da2c-487c-aa36-6eede30d68c2.png (1920x1080, 1.17M)

I love FPS's, played a lot of them during my life, from being a kid getting his hands on Doom, to being an adult playing the latest shitty offerings. Halo was always mediocre to people playing on PC, because it was literally just another FPS. There's nothing that stands out, and the guns are very inaccurate for some reason.

Art is about delivering the most impressive result with a given set of tools and materials. But it never stopped artists from making impressive works with crude tools and materials, nor did it made many of them aspire for better ones. Bungie did the same thing with the Xbox: the technology was rough, but they pulled the best from it, went way beyond what we thought could be possible, and delivered a visually impressive game. Same goes with pixel arts, it's just dots, but look at pic related beauty.

But we've now reached a point where technology is good enough to deliver near lifelike graphics, and artists always crave for more. They've become lazy, they're not even artists anymore, they merely reproduce reality. And reality is boring, we have it outside.

Attached: Darkmere2.png (640x400, 44K)

Not really, no. It's as generic as holywood style "epic chorus" can get, and safe for that one moment that is in OP's pic, it's actually used incredibly poorly. People were shitting their paints because OH MY GOD IT SOUNDS JUST LIKE IN THE MOVIES and because none of them fucking played Homeworld to know what a genuinely good soundtrack sounds like.
The music is by far the most over-rated feature of the Halo franchise.

Lets get some real soul in here.

Attached: 1.jpg (1019x767, 97K)

this is awesome. looks like an old windows wallpaper. that early 3d cg effect is very nice

Attached: 1560354012341.png (1919x810, 1.54M)

HL1:
>majority of game spend fighting hitscan gundudes
>or zombies
>half of weapon roster boring irl hitscan guns
>setpieces
>extreamly linear with some very occasional backtracking
>le epic fights against such classic 90s enemies like "gunship", "tank", "apc"

Halo 3:
>large weapon roster, most of them are unique and most have their own utility
>varied enemy roster, each enemy has different weakness
>linear, but often puts you into large arena that you can tackle how you choose
>setpieces (like scarabs) are fully integrated with gameplay

New games arent old.

What truly awesome opinions. Exceptionally well argued. “X is SHIT” masterful.

>epic chorus
Halo CE didn't have much choruses, that was later

Attached: 7b9eed22-60e6-498e-a17e-a4a008f662e5.jpg (1920x1080, 685K)

>Not really, no. It's as generic as holywood style "epic chorus" can get
As much as I like to shit on generic orchestral music which is now as simple to generate as the push on a button, and how bland this all is compared with classic composers, Halo is still quite a notch above the rest, way more enjoyable and memorable than all these Hollywood flicks I've seen in the past 20 years, and about all "epic" games of the past 10 years.

I'd even argue Halo is the first major game to have brought this style of music to the FPS genre.

Attached: 312634-halo-combat-evolved-700x525.jpg (700x525, 151K)

Yeah, I’m definitely convinced by this random pleb on a Cambodian underwater basket weaving bulletin board Over the countless industry and music professionals who hold the Halo soundtracks in such high esteem. Of course you’d know better with all those symphonies you’ve created before you were 12. Top 5 music artists. Go.

>majority of game spend fighting hitscan gundudes
It's like you never played the game, most guns have slow moving projectiles. I'm not even gonna read the rest if you're that wrong on the first fucking line.

halo 1 had the gregorian chants too

Attached: Shield_Elite_E3_2000.png (800x600, 728K)

>more options
>use tau cannon 99% percent of match
are you high?

played it first time year ago, skybox was cool as fuck gave you this feeling of things being fuckhuge, also the night desert raid map was cool, too bad I dropped the game after I found out you have to go all the way back through the ship, basically the same shit you just did in reverse, fuck that

shame that sword elites didn't retain shields. They are joke in game.

Thats cause pc boomie fags grew up with precision aim on floaty shooter run'n'gun games/ arena shooters that we're 1,000,000% faster and could talk with other fags using interweb shit.

Being a pc fag now, I can see why some didnt like it. But for a console, this was great. All I had was an n64 with perfect dark before I became an xbro chad.

>Reee not CS1.6 Precision aiming
No shit, its supposed to be campy aliens spray and pray at times
>Reee not sanic fast like doom / quake / etc at the time
Its supposed to be slow so your faggot ass has to take time to not speed through the game and so it can load new parts of the level
>Reee same level design
The reuse of assets was good in this game, fuck off. Cept the assualt on the control room / 2 betrayer level.
>Reee story
Whelp its something different, deal with it.

Attached: giga.jpg (912x1024, 71K)

such a epic troll you are

Attached: IMG_20190905_180319.jpg (1920x1080, 157K)

Lets see:
>z axis movement
>air control
>health and armor pickups
>full aresenal
>momentum play and bunny hopping
vs,
>two weapon limit
>floaty jumps
You tried zoomer, its called map control, if you don't contest then the guy gets the tau cannon. Also if you had eyes he's taken out 5 times with the smg.

What do you mean? Shield elites spawn on heroic & Legendary

Attached: 4nq7vqckiej21.png (1920x1080, 3.48M)

>"majority of the game spent fighting hitscan enemies"
>you literally meet the first hitscan enemies on level 6 out of 10 (human weapon wielding flood)

Halo CE's campaign is infinitely replayable and still better than anything that is released today and the multiplayer is also really fun. This is coming from someone who had a PC in 1999 and played UT99/Q3 and CS 1.6 all the time so this narrative that Halo 1 was only liked by console kids is not true.

user, don't forget my super metroid theme

Attached: 1543462814553.png (493x500, 167K)

Retard. Not even zoomers think this.

Attached: 1_H9As2FHvRToRpOd31NWdPg.png (1920x1080, 2.39M)

>No shit, its supposed to be campy aliens spray and pray at times
Guns are inaccurate because of 'camp'? Are you fucking for real? They are inaccurate to hide how shitty it is to aim on consoles

>Its supposed to be slow so your faggot ass has to take time to not speed through the game and so it can load new parts of the level
Nobody in this thread has complained about the speed of the game

Yup he's based

Attached: 1569056358109.png (1762x890, 2.43M)

Attached: 1563729984035.png (1409x1080, 1015K)

I really do miss the Halo CE load screen
youtube.com/watch?v=eu66OjDfM6o

>he doesnt start his fps career with goldeneye

Attached: golden_eye_n_64_documentary_play_1000-1-920x584.jpg (920x584, 106K)

i didnt start with halo either, i think small soldiers on ps1 was my first

Attached: IMG_20190325_135241.jpg (1024x576, 54K)

You mean the same "professionals" that think TLOU is a masterpiece in gaming narrative? Yeah, I don't give a fuck about them.

Again: the music isn't great, but my god is it generic, and the impact lies entirely in the fucking novelty of transplanting something from a different medium to this one.

Again, go play Homeworld. That is actually a masterful soundtrack. Halo just had a lot of money thrown onto it.

Attached: Elites.jpg (1600x1200, 237K)

Nah man, halo's campaign has its moments and certainly isn't shit but its also extremely slow and kinda boring. It sure as hell doesn't stack up to HL1 and SS second encounter. Also its not that halo wasn't liked by different people but is held in high regard by casuals and console kiddies who don't know what's good for em. Which is still true.

"It's shit but it's ok because it was on an inferior platform so it's good somehow". Great fucking arguments.

>campy
Like a B movie, see "aliens" and how they shoot alot. It adds a certain level of fun. Even the marine armor in halo is similar to aliens the movie.
>speed
I've seen too many threads on here. Someone is gonna mention it.

Attached: elite rage.jpg (757x694, 33K)

why would anybody want to play top when bottom looks so much better? Grow up old man, the future is now and your past fucking sucks

Not bad, but for me it's Turok 2

Attached: capsule_616x353.jpg (616x353, 130K)

came here to post this

depending on what your issues are 2 may fix them.

>Faster and tighter gameplay (still a bit slow and floaty compared to other shooters though)
>Massively improved story and narrative and worldbuilding: the enemy faction is fleshed out,, there's actual character development, multiple plot threads, characters with different motivations, vying against each other, cinemography in cutscenes, narrative symbolism, etc.
>More enemy and weapon variety
>outdoor envoirments are way less empty and needlessly large, and have more complex geometry and structures for more interesting combgat encounters
>Indoor areas are less often endlessly copy pasted rooms and hallways, with rooms having distinct layouts and apperences (some missions still suffer from this)

I love Halo and I do. CE doesn't even have a cohrent visual style, uit's got the same "dude slap realistic textures on low-poly geometry lmao" shit a bunch of other shit in the 90's and early 2000's does like goldeneye, turok, etc.

Halo got the gunplay, atmosphere, story, audio, multiplayer, it aced literally eberything and I dont think bungie eveb realizrd it at the time.

Attached: Screenshot-Original (2).png (1920x1080, 2.29M)

Halo did NOT have inaccurate guns to emulate a B-movie-feel, jesus christ

Attached: halo_b3.jpg (640x480, 48K)

Halo gameplay is shiiiiiiiiit

Based and cerebral bore pilled.
I AM TUROOK

Still liked halo though and honestly am looking forward to it on pc to play coop with others.

Attached: 1550063442613.jpg (443x455, 40K)

3D games of that era look awful and you know it

Cortana and 343 literally tell you what they do in the level two betrsysls in the first game.

remember that you can fit the Earth in the center of the Ark

So what is everyone's favorite fps campaign then?

It had a big fucking machine gun to shoot the everliving shit out of aliens, a shotgun to blast the dicks off alien scum, and a rocket launcher to annihilate alien bastards off the face of the universe

Attached: xib141qbnyb21.png (1600x900, 2.48M)

cod world at war, timesplitters future perfect, and battlefield bad company

anyone whose been on the kino express knows whats up

Attached: Halo_original_4.jpg (800x600, 300K)

>Never owned a microsoft console
>Never played the Halo games after 2
>CE is my favorite FPS game followed by Arma 3

Medal Of Honor Rising Sun

Zoomers say Halo, real niggas say Timesplitters.

I still don't know what that is in the center of the Ark. Is it High Charity?

Crystal clear graphics with no garbage postprocessing or fancy lighting effects.
Very deliberate art style choices and consideration of colors.

>depending on what your issues are 2 may fix them.
It sure as fuck does not. I had the misfortune of playing 2 once. It was everything wrong with CE just cranked up to eleven.

Halo 3

Pure soul and one of the reasons I still dust off my xbox. They butchered the PC Halo port and cut that load screen and a bunch of other shit.

>Nah
it clearly is though.

Attached: d0d5c563-3864-4282-9cb4-aaca3a804097.png (1920x1080, 2.97M)

HALO 3 PC WHEN????

It's a planet, the sentinels mine it to get materials to build halo rings. That's what the circular hole is for. Halos come from there.

Attached: y4kh6cr6quzQ38cbznk8ve.jpg (1600x900, 1004K)

Unironically Half-life. Not my favorite FPS (that would probably be UT99), but the best campaign imo.

It feels man made. Someone put those clouds there. They look shitty but someone made the effort of creating this sprite. You can see it.
It has a story, it was made by individual decisions, it was made by a human being, thus its has soul

The more realistic a game becomes, the more simulation is used to create stuff. Every texture becomes procedural. Made in Substance designer.
You can feel this, this is not made by a human being with artistic vision but with a tool, created to mimic reality.

The main criticism PCfags ever had about this game is how most guns aren't hitscan, because they need to adapt to the slow movement.

As does literally every other FPS

>it clearly is though.
Again, I played the game for the first time few years ago, I was well over 20, I had absolutely no experience or interest in the series previously, and I hated just about everything else about the fucking game (and eventually, after trying other titles, the entire franchise).

That moment stands up on it's own. The use of contrast, music, and simple but elegant graphics really do make it an exceptionally well crafted moment. God knows that does not repeat anywhere else in the game.

Buy an Xbox one and play now :)

Alternatively install El Dewrito if you have no standards :)

Attached: Screenshot_20181104-181336.png (1920x1080, 2.46M)

NIGGER

I'll never buy an Xbox again after what they tried to pull with the Xbox One. I'll just wait for MCC on PC >:(

I play old games for the first time that I have no nostalgia for and I still think they have more Soul than new games

Attached: Giants 2018-08-06 17-24-14-07.jpg (2560x1440, 737K)

why did halo's graphics get worse after halo 3?

Attached: Screenshot-Original (1).png (1920x1080, 2.38M)

With fewer polygons, the look is cleaner and it's more apparent where the friendly & enemy characters are on screen

Also simpler graphics allow your brain to fill in the gaps

Mec campaign is soul. Reaper is mediocre. Kabuto is garbare.

They added to much polygons.

They tried to pull, but they didn't get away with it. Backwards compatibility is awesome, game pass is a good deal because they hand it out for 1$ all the time, all 1st party games launch on gamepass day 1 and will be on Xbone+windows 10 with crossplay, you get 4 free games per month, XBL is free if you use microsoft rewards, and your library will transfer to all future Xbox consoles :)

But unfortunately, we don't have bloodborne, spiderman, or movie games :(

Attached: 1228707563_16290712-Full.jpg (800x600, 56K)

fuck. I thought this was a screen of a giantess bending forward and orbital boobies are making re entry

"soulfull"

They to a different art direction and went into standard sci-fi, they also reduce the visual clarity on everything which is the biggest mistake you can do as a game dev.

>generic gothic fantasy castle
Holy fuck my mind is blown.

>different art direction and went into standard sci-fi,
Are you SERIOUSLY pretending that Halo was not from the very fucking begining the most generic and uninspired fucking sci-fi imaginable?
What the fuck?

You are american, right?

Different kinds. Old aesthetic is not "default" anymore. New sci fi is what you see in avengers, avatar, etc.

Attached: 1552685409280.png (1080x1040, 1.61M)

No, you must be though considering your fetishisation of mundane, boring architecture we've seen twenty trillion times over in every fucking video game.

How many sci-fi use brutalism as the basis for their ancient alien's architecture?

Attached: b.jpg (1024x576, 136K)

Man made is a good way to put it. Like in early 3D games when you go into a bathroom and see the sink/toilet/bathtub, you can see the map maker struggling with all the curved surfaces required to make these things and the end result looks cute and hand made.

In a modern game you don't notice any every day object at all, they all are perfectly realistic and you ignore them like real life.

>dialogue directly references the location as a 'desert plateau'
>bottom pic
Sweet Jesus.

shut up, dumbass paki retard

>one of the finest gothic castles that's also fucking enormous AND pretty much everything you see is playable area

To this day nothing competes with Halo's sky boxes. How the fuck did they do it? Seriously, you can mod Halo 1 and google textures to use for your own skybox to blend in with it, and it still looks fucking amazing. No other game captures this feel and I have no idea how they did it.

They are exactly the fucking same, it's just that one is more blurry and you as a kid projected some kind of your own imagination on them, then you felt ashamed when you grew up, realized how AMAZINGLY FUCKING HORRIBLE the art direction was, and tried to rationalize it away.

A non-american yet does not have the faintest clue how gothic architecture looks? I somehow doubt it.
I'm not fetishing anything, I find that particular screenshop hideous and frankly amazingly bland - to a point where I wasn't fucking sure if it's from DS or Bloodborne (that is how fucking bland it is).

It's just neither gothic, nor a clastle. Again: You are either american, or so fucking amazingly sheltered from any kind of reality that it boggles the mind.

That is A) not brutalism and B) every fucking other one?
Uuuuh, aliens use sharp nonsensical shapes in their architecture. How fucking amazingly imaginative!

The only reason why you think it's "brutalism" is because it's low poly and lazy.

Halo 1 was the original kino.

Because if the artstyle and utilization of what was available wasn't almost 100% on point the game was going to look like hot ass. That and a lot of current optimizations preclude using some of the better ideas for making things not look like garbage.
The tools available now are simple enough to use to create something that looks passable if you just whip enough Pajeets into a frenzy of polishing. Passable anything is a cancer upon any medium because plebs will be content with it.
Fundamentally the only thing that matters is artstyle and how well it's executed and if there is no talent and passion left then the available toolsets will allow for supremely mediocre artstyles with flailing execution at best.

Literally every multiplayer FPS ever made is about map control. Even Calla Dooty.

>to a point where I wasn't fucking sure if it's from DS or Bloodborne (that is how fucking bland it is).
lol 2 games from the same company in succession have similar art styles (because victorian and medieval periods both used gothic) so they're bland? You're out of your fucking mind, fucking contrarian Yea Forums trash that can't appreciate anything. DS3 looked fantastic, aside from a lack of color.

I miss when getting out of the maps wasn't as restricted as it was today.

user, list your top 5 artists. It wasn’t a difficult request. Don’t be a pussy

>They are exactly the fucking same

Nah there's no cyan 3D holograms or hexagons or touch screens or neon shiny glow lights when you watch ALIEN, there's just clunky 80's computer monitors and keypads with primitive interfaces and command prompts. This is a distinct art choice that halo decided to copy, then ditch, but Halo infinite seems to have resurrected the style as of the most recent trailer in the pelican.

What's the best way to play OG Halo 1&2 today ?

Attached: Kevin-Spacey.jpg (615x399, 25K)

>the music isn't great, but my god is it generic
youtube.com/watch?v=BSqm5Id6Hw0
youtube.com/watch?v=i5jPy-GmyUc
youtube.com/watch?v=iGruKfiUrPU
Where does one find more music like this?

On the original Xbox or play them BC on Xbox 360.

From truest to shoddiest :

On the OG Xbox, then on PC with restored mods, then on MCC, then on PC with no restored mods

For genuine experience, on original Xbox hardware (or on 360 with the original discs.)
For convenience MCC. MCC updates them to 16:9 (widescreen), but has many graphical differences - even when you turn on ""original"" graphics. This is because Halo 1 and 2 in MCC are based on the PC ports, not the Xbox versions. Which are flawed.
There are also the PC ports themselves for 1 and 2. They are okayish, but I can't recommend it for the reasons I listed above. Texture and particle problems, which are carried over to MCC as well.

Attached: halo1.gif (500x500, 13K)

og xbox with a crt.

>Simplicity of this graphics makes them readable at a glance.
I wish more devs cared about this. I remember around like 2004 starting to get annoyed with more games because they were feeling cluttered and lacking clarity. Technical limitations also seemed to make them rely more on making stuff look unique and interesting, realism starts to get a bit boring.

warcraft 3 players were the ones playing wow in 2004
>rs2
runescape 2? the hell is "rs2"?
>tf2, css, hl2
cs players were playing this, no not tfc players or hl1 players, there were no such thing as hl1 players, just people that knew the name of the base game for cs and thought hl2 was going to mean cs2

CREATIVITY FLOURISHES IN LIMITATION.

back then, devs had to really prioritize their graphics style and find ways around the limitations to create their vision, this led to absolutely SOULFUL graphics that always hold up in one way or another. think

>halo
>half life
>world of warcraft
>metal gear solid
>ratchet and clank

these games still look good TO THIS DAY because they have real art direction, art direction in vidya these days is garbage foliage spamming, post FX of the week and a race to the bottom to be the most "kino". as graphics hardware increased, soulful art decreased.

Shitty graphics are suggestive, ultra realist graphics are not. Because, when you are presented with a low quality 3d asset, your imagination has to expand on it to fill in the gaps. Same thing that happens when you read a book, to an extent.
Most book adaptations are underwhelming for that very reason.

runescape 2
the point is that it is completely ok to make stuff like runescape/team fortress 2 nostalgia threads while making halo nostalgia thread just causes people to call you underage

I'll just get the MCC on Steam then when it's out

You will be waiting a long time.

Pretty much this. Less distracting shit on the screen. Compare this serene level to the first one in Halo 5 with a million space ships flying around the sky and a pin hole hud and godawful overdesigned enemies that explode when they die.

Halo plays nothing like it used to on the MCC. On top of that you'll constantly get matched up with retards who never played Halo in their life.

>there are people born after CE came out who now have children of their own

Attached: 35v34v54v54.jpg (285x177, 8K)

>user, list your top 5 artists.
Any musical composers, or only videogame?
If videogame:
Skorupa / Błaszczak / Przybyłowicz / Stroinski and the whole lot (I'm giving you a freebie and counting them all as one)
Vasily Kashnikov
Alexander Brandon
Jeremy Soule
Darren Korb
Paul Ruskay
Akira Yamaoka

>art styles (because victorian and medieval periods both used gothic)
Maybe don't fucking talk about subjects you don't know anything about?

>thought hl2 was going to mean cs2
i was one of them. i ended up hating css though, and just went back to 1.6, but hl2 multiplayer mods were fantastic and i'm still playing some of them today.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Revival_architecture

It would probably suck to be an average forerunner.
I remember one passage (I dunno where) showed that forerunner ship captains gave their AIs control of their ships as a last resort, since the AIs pulled extreme maneuvers in combat and liquified all the crew with the intense Gs

The original MGS vs Twin Snakes is a good example of how important art design and color is. TS is grey and boring looking, whereas the original has varying colors for different scenes. Vulcan Raven's fight is so much less visually interesting as one example because the room lacks the freezing look of the original.
youtube.com/watch?v=1evsES3er0U
youtube.com/watch?v=pBVYLClYe64

>the look is cleaner and it's more apparent where the friendly & enemy characters are on screen
This really stands out to me. In Battlefield 2 you can clearly see there's an enemy standing at the corner of that building. In the later games it's a cluttered mess with the same bland colors everywhere and a thousand things flying in the air. The original games lent themselves better to actually playing a competitive game.

oh yeah, not to mention all the van helsing type stuff with werewolves and dracula which uses gothic as a backdrop

Jesus Christ please just stop.

I actually think Battlefield are a series that gained from being cluttered. Bad Company 2 was great for this, unless you were pretty good you would seldom even see an enemy before dying. Felt realistic, felt neat.

This user pretty much nailed it. This also sums up why I prefer hand drawn animation.

Does the Wolfenstein style fps segments in the SNES Jurassic park count? If not then golden eye was my first fps.

look man, im just waiting for reach to drop on pc

Attached: waiting.png (490x369, 399K)

"Neogothic".
"Use gothic"
God damn it makes my brain bleed.

the weakest parts of halo were those when it felt like the map designer was incredibly lazy and thought copy pasting the same 4 rooms throughout the chapter was a genius idea.

Attached: 1530911010912.jpg (212x237, 11K)

Wow you're the first person to ever point that out.

Attached: 1567720332626.jpg (500x500, 26K)

Nah.

In all fairness, MCC finally fixed the animations in Halo 1. They were animated in frames, with the xbox in mind. So when playing the game at 60 on PC, the animations refreshed at half-rate.

Artistic expression was necessary to overcome shitty graphics.

It literally is gothic architecture you fucking retard. Look it up before you pretend to be an expert.

Is this a joke?
Are you seriously trying to pull this shit off?
I mean: YOU DO KNOW THAT YOU KNOW FUCK ALL about architecture, right? What are the odds that you: knowing NOTHING, can pretend to outsmart anyone else?

Do you have NO sense of self-awareness? Or perhaps no fucking dignity what so ever? How do you fucking live like this?

It's not Gothic you mongoloid, it's what fucking Disney thinks is "gothic". It has as much in common with Gothic architecture as Romanesque architecture has with actual fucking Roman one. And yes, I do realize you will not understand that comparison.

The fuck? Really, what is wrong with you people. It's fine to not know stuff, but for fuck sake don't try to berate others if you are completely and utterly fucking ignorant of the subject matter.

that's a lot of yelling for a simple "no u"

Thank you for proving my fucking point.

hu blu bluh hurr de derr

that's you

Are you genuinely 12? Because if you aren't, you have no fucking excuse for this kind of response.

>if I post an inane tangent then that will somehow turn this image of a clear gothic castle into some other brand of architecture
Imagine being this braindead.

This user is exactly right.

You sound like you're genuinely 13, writing pompous blogposts that don't actually contain any substantial argument for why it's not gothic, then huffing and puffing when you're made fun of

Gothic =/= Neo-Gothic.
Are are literally half a century and completely different shapes, functions, materials and philosophy apart.

If YOU can't tell the difference, because you are a burger, or because you are so fucking ignorant and shielded that you never took a toor of your country's historical landmarks or history books: FINE.
You are allowed to not know shit.

But for FUCK SAKE don't fucking attack others over YOUR IGNORANCE.

Let me make a little flow chart for you cretins:

Start:
"Do I know anything about the subject?":
Yes / No.

IF Yes:
Talk about it. = END

If No:
"Are you going to ask questions about it to learn more?"
Yes / No

If Yes:
Ask away = END

If No:
Keep your mouth shut. = END.

Now copy paste that fucking flow chart and then look at it EVERY TIME YOU PLAN POSTING.

You are welcome. Now fuck off.

imagine unironically feeling nostalgic for babbys first console fps with muh regenerating shields

Attached: 149995678994.jpg (650x494, 48K)

It's not animations. There are still particle effects missing and a problem with the textures and how Xbox rendered them. When Gearbox ported it they left out a lot of this, and 343i would either have to find the missing original Xbox code to fix it, or rewrite a lot of it.
The thing is they aren't obvious things unless you play it a lot or compare it side by side, so most people will just accept the inferior copy.
But as it stands the original version and PC ports/MCC are two different different experiences.

I don't care about Neo-Gothic because it isn't Neo-Gothic. It's a generic Gothic castle with the same design philosophy, style and represented time period. Seems like you're really stretching for a reason to sperg out over something, you should find something better to do.

Interesting how the game came out the same year you were born. Cool fact!

I remember rocket jumping in quake and stealing vehicles in Tribes before Halo came out. I couldn't see the novelty in Halo besides the grand scale atmosphere. I felt GoldenEye had a more unique hook the way it had smaller corridor battlefields, forcing 1vs1 encounters, it'd get funny with oddjobb and slappers

You've clearly gotten confused and somehow lost in the flow chart. I can't say I'm surprised, it may be a little too maze-like for you: but I believe in you!
TRY AGAIN.

tl;dr

nah

>vortigaunts aren't hitscan

first one looks like a game

second one looks like some fake picture some 15 year old made about what how epic graphics will be in 10 years

>you'll never enjoy the heavenly experience of using those metallic switches.

I remember being superbly hyped for Halo when I was a kid. Then it was revealed that you can carry only two guns at once. Never noped the fuck away from a game that fast before or since.

now THAT's what I call zoomer Vol. 13

Can't speak for the campaign, but CE is quite literally the best console multiplayer FPS to this day. With random spawns, button glitches, and the ability to destroy with the pistol, the skill gap is enormous. Legend and Patch (best in the world) would shit on me and my teammate 50-10.

t. former top 15 h1 player

Which game user, i recognize the Bitmap Brothers Pixel art style

I know about the other stuff, I'm just pointing out that MCC isn't a straight downgrade or port of the PC version. Credit where credit's due.

New games fuck up the textures.
They think realism is good when I'm playing video games to escape the real world.

Darkmere, on Amiga. Not Bitmap Brothers though, all art was made by Mark K. Jones, who later joined Bethesda and worked on Daggerfall and Morrowind.

Nostalgia.
Was born at '87 and I genuinely believe you're retarded.

Shit taste isn't impossible either.

That's why I said MCC before PC port. But MCC is not close to the original, so it is still a downgrade in that regard.

>tfw we have passed the peak of quality gaming and are now on the decline

Attached: 1538076930146.jpg (350x300, 12K)

its not graphics, fucking moron
its art design

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

the have to add this cluster fuck of everything to make a point of progress xboxHueg to xbox 360

they dont have much chose.

Halo 1 was just as soulless as the games that came after it, it's always been copypaste garbage and the quintessential baby's first FPS series
B&RP

With Halo?
Are you fucking kidding me?

He probably means gen 5/6/early 7 gaming. It really was the golden age of "soul", as Yea Forums would call it.

that is indeed what i meant

Doing a lot with little.

fuckin nostalgia mate
if you played titanfall and and didn't smack your gob on what the skyboxes are like, I dunno what to say to you

Attached: 1566584206250.png (771x752, 273K)

Main problem isn't the assets, its the color.

>posts the much less comfy pc version
oh user....

less detail so more room for your imagination to fill in the blanks

>I'm playing video games to escape the real world
it's ok. The nature had a great filter called VIDEOGAMES and it will syphon out the grain from the chaff. Chads of the future will play social mobile games with their Stacies, while us untisocial introverted cretins will perish to the annals of creation. I will die alone, probably a slow and painful death, and no one will find me for months. So will many others. That's what I/we get. Fin.

Attached: VM4E3.jpg (1280x800, 179K)

>Desaturated as fuck. They need to make the colors pop out.
There it is. Right there. This is one of the major reasons why "soul v soulless" isn't totally a meme. Games used to have color and art style. Sure some still do, but as graphics get better devs just go for realism. Foliage is still hard though, so every single game takes place in snowy forests, big cities, or desert/canyons. So say goodbye to colors, because all we get now are dark green, grey, and brown. Even modern games that are supposed to be bright and colorful aren't. Look at how much color got sucked out of the Crash/Spyro remakes.

Visual clarity + more variety in artstyles since realism wasn't an option yet + leaving things to the imagination

who are you quoting you hopeless faggot

Purely nostalgia but god damn the amount of time I spent just looking at the halo in the first one. Like where you're on the beach in the silent cartographer mission? Absolute kino. I miss lan party days with my bros so much.

I hate how modern games take hundreds of people and hundreds of millions of dollars just to say 'concrete is grey' 'dirt is brown' 'guns are black' 'blood is red'

That's just nostalgia talking. Kids these days are gonna say the same thing about current games in 10 years.

>first time play halo
>moment you walk out onto the ring
>things look like earth but op's pic reminds you it's alien
>get a really eerie feeling
>the entire game is like this
good shit. haven't experienced something like that in a while.

Attached: 1498126702841.png (500x375, 250K)

Endless repetitve hallways are NOT soulful and they compromise 70% of Halo 1.

In reality SOUL comes from technical constraints and artists trying to represent an idea, also without much corporate oversight. Its why early 3d/late 2d games made by relatively small studios (And Nintendo) had the most SOUL. As the studios got bigger they had more corporate oversight and lost their soul.

Anyone who spouts “Nostalgia” is a lying faggot. This change IS noticeable, for proof just look at the brown & bloom mess from the late 2000’s when the game companies grew and merged. Suddenly there were huge teams of artists compromising to make corporate approved “appeal to teen boys” games.

Minimalism

You must have been very inteligent sperm.

God i love Halo so much..

Wouldn't everything to the side of the ring be outerspace like and not a nice windows XP cloudscape?

Will we experience some sort of official Halo and Metroid crossover in our lifetime even if it’s mostly fanwank

Seething quakekiddie.

>fucking halo
>soul

This is how I know that I'm too old to keep coming back to this shitpile

Depends how much air is between you and space. In OP picture camera is placed pretty high while while in soulposting picture is near sea level.

They got a bit carried away with adding and altering shit

i actually always hated coagulation because of how so much of it was in the shade. blood gulch was way better because of the lighting.

this game will be 18 years old in few months. You can stop pretending now.

the library is kino, fuck off.

i've seen complaints recently about how too many games nowadays have too much colour. literally kids nostalgic for the days of brown n bloom.

How did the original Halo 1 code get lost?

Attached: Chillout_halo 1.jpg (400x300, 25K)

Hard to say why these old games just look more soulful but it could be because people had a soul back then, most likely they had passion about these things rather than just being schooled and looked at it like a career.
It probably helps they weren't dehumanized and demoralized to hell and back yet.
youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA

Maybe the black cube literally feeds on human souls or something I don't know but extremely few of us still remain and it's scary.

>most likely they had passion about these things

it's that simple. today it's literally soulless money grab AAA titles, thus creating souless games.

creators and developers use to make games for passion and desire.

It was a little easier to feel good about some things in the 80s when houses were 2.5x yearly income instead of 8x

Theres still games with soul today but they aren't from big AAA shits; IE Mount & Blade, Rimworld, Starsector etc.

Attached: 1569052473234.jpg (1024x768, 184K)

>NEW GAME CANNOT BE GOOD GAME
Maybe you should get your head out of the AAA industry ass because it was what you did for good games in the 90's user. Maybe you'll find good games if you actually looked for them instead of whining on Yea Forums to spoonfeed you quake clones.

Reminder that its the same zoomer posting this, I remember when this picture used to mean something now zoomers have taken it and made into one of their memes.

so it births halo rings through a large hole huh?

bungie lost it

It's so fucking hillarious that people are presenting Halo, FUCKING HALO OF ALL FUCKING GAMES as some kind of "old school soulfull passion project".

It just makes you realize how much of this "soul" shit is absolute fucking bullshit and garbage.
Halo games were from the very beggining the TEXTBOOK example of comittee designed, bland, brain-dead corporate bullshit in the industry. Entirely backed up by Microsoft as the foundation of their mass-migration push to consoles, literally COMPLETELY remade from it's original design concept after the deal with Microsoft was made PURELY to appeal to the widest humanly possible audience of 12 years old to show that consoles are not nerdy, but they are cool and hip and edgy:
Literally the entire fucking series is one giant soulless marketing campaign for X-BOX and X-BOX 360.

And you FUCKS are talking about how back then games had soul.

It's fucking.
Laughable.

time takes us all
youtube.com/watch?v=M6nZPrMSu0w

walking through the same 3 rooms with nothing but the flood to deal with sure is kino

>MUH GRAFIX
>MUH HALO

Attached: 1437123443736.gif (300x300, 34K)

Halo should have had ski mechanics desu, outdoor maps would have been perfect for it.

You're a nostalgic oldfag, that's what makes that garbage soulful for you only.

That's what I said, yes, exactly.

>Its supposed to be slow so your faggot ass has to take time to not speed through the game and so it can load new parts of the level
Halo was slow because it had to work with a controller. With a controller you have to trade off between precision or speed, so if you have precision (mandatory for a shooter) then you lose speed, and can't turn quickly. This means movement speed has to be limited so people can't just circle around you faster than you can turn. It's why consoles cannot have good FPS.

That level was the gauntlet, loved it.

Attached: 40 years ago.png (251x251, 21K)

>MUH ZOOM ZOOM
>MUH BOOM BOOM
remember, catfriend, people who post are newfag zoomers who don't truly know the meaning of the pic.

Oh yeah I remember when most people hated Halo, but now the majority of the userbase grew up with it, so they think it's amazing
The same thing happened with Oblivion and is currently happening with Skyrim

Because it makes you remember a (rose tinted) time where you had less stress and responsibilities you had to deal with.

console vs pc retard

How wide are the rings on these ringworlds anyway?

Yes the point is now though people who post that "MUH FIRST FPS" image don't really understand the true meaning behind and now its ruined and its going down hill from here.

My first shooter was honestly Goldeneye. But I still think halo 1 is my all time favorite. battlefield is up there too.

They can't touch it with level design and gameplay either. The people who used to make games made them because they loved them now it is just a job with college degrees handed out just like any other.

yep

See You have no idea how fucking hillarious it is to watch you morons from a perspective of an actual human being.

Bungie still brought a lot of their artistic ideas with them. The microsoft deal didn't start becoming detrimental to their creative integrity until 2 and 3.

But I am sure your CAPS LOCK typing proves everyone wrong.

I'd just like to tell you that you are correct, user. These Halo faggots remind me of Call of Duty kids who argue all day about when exactly their shit series turned shitty even though we all know it was MW

Attached: 1542370005516.png (444x470, 126K)

Attached: 1497301140449.jpg (528x516, 177K)

Yeah. Like the endlessly copy-pasted levels to a point where one third of the game is backtracking through the easily worst part of the previous gameplay that modern games really "can't touch", right?
Fucking face it already. You got played. There is no shame in it as long as you can admit it. I used to be a moron falling for all kinds of garbage when I was a kid too.

I found my two OG xboxs and they turn on, but the dang controller isn't functioning... I just wanted to show my nephew home :( idk if it is worth buying a new controller, modding a 360 controller to work with OG, playing my MCC on an Xbone which I don't have, or waiting for steam release.

Ebay senpai, or local Goodwill especially if you live in a rural area

SIMPLICITY + FUN = TIMELESS

Based

Because we all know that modern campaign shooters don't suck complete ass, right? I sure do enjoy the half assed, afterthought, 3-4 hour campaigns of modern games.

Are you somehow from the past? How did you get here? You DO KNOW this isn't 2013, anymore, right?

Attached: retropc.webm (854x480, 2.6M)

all zoomers repent

Attached: retropc2.webm (854x480, 2.39M)

Attached: retropc3.webm (854x480, 1.51M)

Attached: retropc4.webm (854x480, 2.49M)

Attached: retropc5.webm (854x480, 1.85M)

Attached: retropc6.webm (854x480, 972K)

Attached: retropc7.webm (854x480, 1.67M)

Attached: retropc8.webm (854x480, 1.13M)

Attached: retropc9.webm (854x480, 1.47M)

Attached: retropc10.webm (854x480, 1.29M)

Attached: retropc11.webm (854x480, 1.07M)

Goldeneye is fun even as a zoomer.

Nice try son, those do not exist, that's a mod for Reach.

Anything valve makes is for autistic Slavs

Are you OK there? Did you misquote or perhaps post in a completely wrong thread?

Are those Giant tits?

have sex

Great art direction, complete color palettes, and a desire to make a video game that looks like a video game. Video games try too hard to look realistic now

halo is the reason new games are shit, go fuck yourself

I just took a shit.. Yup, looks like you.
FLUSH

THe giant thong in the sky. It was actually pretty nice no other FPS had such a fucking huge structure in the background like this before.

It got better in time when it rendered clouds and stuff.

Attached: 1567452703594.jpg (529x878, 214K)