What went wrong

What went wrong.

Attached: PSV.jpg (800x450, 45K)

Sony

they didnt have that little nigger marcus to shill it

NO

Overly expensive proprietary memory cards. Shit was like $20 for 4GB, and I don't think SD2Vita was a thing during its lifespan.

honest to god lack of homebrew/modding
the most successful handheld consoles are relatively open.

Weak library
fragile
poor marketing
the 3ds exists

there's stuff I missed, but this pretty much sums it up

It only plays Persona 4 Golden

proprietary memory
nogames
sony dropped support almost immediately

the dreamcast of handhelds

Nothing. I love mine. I also know Japanese though, so that helps.

Nothing much. Currently playing through Final Fantasy Tactics on mine. Really cool having such a ludicrously vast library on a handheld without even having to dip into third party emulation. Everything Vita, PSP and PS1 out of the box.

Stupid expensive memory cards and no actual killer app (Gravity Rush is too niche, normie shit like Uncharted was heavily watered down). Visual novels and 2D indie games don't sell consoles alone. I do use mine mostly for PS1 and PSP games, plus it has a decent web browser.

>without even having to dip into third party emulation
I enjoy this as well, but for some reason it makes people inconsolably angry if you don't hack your Vita.

I've hacked mine, but mainly to give me more flexibility with those three platforms. Lots of games never got PSN releases, or did but in a different region to your PSN account, so it's way easier in my experience with a hacked one.
But yeah, people get weirdly angry about unhacked systems. My 1000 still isn't hacked, had it since launch and it's doing me just fine.

memory cards
and sony didnt believe

Unironically this.
How fuckin popular would it have gotten if they ignored the emulation controversy and left it open and allowed it to flourish and dropped the price %20 while trashing that UMD POS drive.

I've yet to run into a game I want that I can't buy on the jp PSN store that I don't already have on another platform or have emulated on my PC. I'm very happy with mine.

early ps3 level of no games, homebrew scene is a shitshow, they traded l2 and r2 for a shitty touchpad.

My main PSN account is an EU one since I'm down under. Not an issue with PS1 classics or whatever on PS3, but the Vita's insistence on locking you to one account at once makes juggling a headache. The experience of playing Xenogears, which to this day doesn't have a release here, juggling it between my US PSN account on PS3 and my Vita? That was all the convincing I needed. So I guess it depends on your use case really.

So this is the switch lite cope thread?

Attached: Nintendo.png (1485x1465, 3.22M)

I feel you on the switching between regions. I used to swap between my US and JP account until I realized there was just no reason to go through the hassle and stayed on my JP account.

Overpriced proprietary memory sticks and lack of first party game support.

The hardware itself is fantastic though. It's comfortable to use and it does emulation, PSP, and indie stuff very very well. I use mine almost every day. Also a lot of homebrew shit to mess around with

Yeah, I would've done something similar if not for how much stuff I already had on my EU region account. The final solution was grabbing a used 2000 earlier this year, hacking it and giving up on accounts entirely. There is something nice about having skittles for PS1 games without mods though. Since PS1 emulation on Vita goes through the virtual PSP environment, you put new PS1 games on just by dropping eboots into its folder and selecting them from the PSP's menus. It takes extra steps to create icons for them in the Vita's menus.

I think the only digital game I had on my US account that I might still replay was the MegaMan X remake, but other than that everything I wanted to play (mostly Japanese games) is on my Japanese account anyways, so it wasn't a big deal to make the permanent jump.

>way too expensive
>shitty expensive memory cards
>no 1st party support
>phones

Hacked my vita and got a 256GB microSD, what games should I download?

Nothing. It's still better than your Switch, kiddo.

Dumb sd card and lackluster exclusive library

Persona 4, MGS HD, Ys Memories of Celceta, Gravity Rush, Hotline Miami, Dragon's Crown, Binding of Isaac, Sly Cooper, Disgaea 3. Muramasa looked cool but I never tried it. Should mod it and put some PSP and PS1 games on there as well.

not enough games that appeal to the western audience

it was fine back in like 2015 when it had more exclusives but everything it has is getting ported now.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 238K)

Outclassed at major turns in the market . Unacceptable

Attached: Switch-Vita.jpg (939x665, 50K)

The COD game they tried to shill, Black Ops: Declassified, bombed. That was the defintive end for the Vita combined with a higher cost for the handheld, expensive memory cards, and lack of must-have games that weren't catered to niche audiences.

The real big exclusive games I remember were P4G, Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Killzone Mercenary, Tearaway, Wipeout 2048, and Danganronpa. They're good games but not enough to compete with the library of the 3DS, especially since most of its 3rd party support were watered down console games.

On the bright side being able to play the Arland and Dusk Plus games on something that doesn't run them so horribly is a nice thing. As much as I love Ayesha+ the performance is a mess.

>Buying switch with no gimmicks, no dock, not hackable
Why?

Attached: 20190824_121331.jpg (4032x3024, 3.33M)

Should I buy a vita?

Nope. No point really

make sure you get one that can be hacked.

No. If you waited this long then don't bother.

nothing, homebrew +piracy is the best

I own one and I don't really recommend it unless you can get it cheap.

>not hackable
But that's wrong

Do you know Japanese?

Only if you don't own a psp already and want to play the vita/psp/ps1 library. If not then don't bother, most worthwhile vita games are getting ported to pc or ps4.
And of course buy a hackable one

To play video games?

Nothing
Best console ever

It was $250 on release and played PS3 ports. That's it. Why the fuck would I play the same games on a handheld? Remember, this isn't the same playbase as the Gameboy, this was 19+ year olds with money. They want to invest in dedicated games, not shit.

Meanwhile the 3DS was $150 at the time of release and had a ton of exclusives from Nintendo, not just stupid ports.

Attached: sonynigger.jpg (870x731, 175K)

>WAH why do you NEED CHEAPER and BIGGER storage!? Only a filthy pirate would need that much space! The memory card prices is fine! You are just a poorfag.
If you are basing a device for portability, convenience, and your go to media center then you best act like one. I enjoy all your Vita remorse threads. Now look at the 3DS, a DS lite electric boogaloo on life support recovered and thrived, with standard SD cable of being expanded up the ass without being so expensive and supported for years. Smartphones was the final nail to the coffin.

The few exclusives it had were half-assed shit from developers. The 3DS had unique fully featured games at $40. That's how it destroyed the Vita

>b-but the 3DS barely beat the Vita!!
This is meaningless. The Vita hardly sold any games per console. This was true with the PS3 of the same era as well. Console sales don't determine success

I got more time out of my Vita than I ever did with gimmicky 3DS games.

Its a great device, but its 250$ during the time that 250$ for a handheld + 60 for the card was absurd
The exclusives were GREAT (muramasa, soul sacrifice, etc), but then they are extremely niche and definitely werent system sellers
Also, no monhan. Psp’s lifeblood was monhan, 3ds booster was monhan. Monhan decided the handheld market back then until they jumped back on console

>expensive as fuck memory
>no first party support cause sony decided to focus on the ps4
>3ds got hacked immediately, got tons of 1st party support cause WiiU was failing anyway
>vita didn't get hacked for a long ass time
>Sony quite literally abandoned it and left small 3rd party devs make cheap weeb or indie games for it and nothing else

That's all. It got abandoned, sony didn't let its hack scene flourish early which hurt it, bad business practices with the memory etc etc

Sony killed it.

Memory card jewery

That's completely wrong. The Vita sold barely any consoles, but had an unusually high attach rate.

lent to a buddy and he splashed some water on it and it was dead the next morning

you didn't buy three, like me.

>Implying 3DShitters know what they're talking about

Enlighten me

I never hacked mine. Honestly a great lineup without hacks, I sold my PS1 years ago so the library on the Vita is nice. I also played the shit out of Wipeout 2048.

The lineup improves if you hack (with PSP and PS1 titles mostly) but that's not the main reason.
The main reason is so you don't have to buy jew memory cards, so you can overclock, so you can sync a DS4, etc.