I think this settle it for good

I think this settle it for good.

Attached: Screenshot_20190921-061741.png (720x1280, 404K)

So I'm assuming he doesn't believe he should be able to resell the DVD of the movie he bought.

That shit isn’t even the same thing.

That anology doesnt make any sense. You bought a contract for a specific showing at a specific time. They product no longer exists after that so you've nothing to sell

Movie tickets aren't actually for the movie, they are for the theater, effectively they show you the movie for "free".

But you can sell your movie ticket.
Good luck finding a buyer though.

But you already can sell a used movie ticket. There isn't really a market for used movie tickets but you're allowed to sell them if somebody wants to buy one.

Attached: 1561822698652.webm (582x739, 2.99M)

not all games are for ps4

>tickets
>cinema
if you're gonna compare movies, at least use the correct medium, you can absolutely resell blurays

You can still resell blurays/dvds of video games though?

In America at least.

Can I sell my pirated games?

>buy movie ticket
>watch movie
>sell used ticket
>guy who bought used ticket can't use it
>buy game
>play game
>sell used game
>guy who bought used game can play game
Not comparable.

Attached: 1537990355201.jpg (2448x2791, 1.45M)

Of course you can

Can you if they use an activation code?

Yes. Whether it's of any use to the other person or not is another story, but you can still sell it

>Guy on Twitter is a retard
Good thread

I hate multiplayer games so much. Mp games are what is wrong with the industry. All mp gakes should be banned and only physical copies of SP games allowed.

Attached: 123456445.jpg (612x380, 25K)

>eat fries
>some are left
>resell fries at full price to someone else

Why are Europeans so stupid?

Goddam look at those mams

Digital fags are cucks

Imagine that all movies only came out on bluray and theather didn't exist. Now imagine a technology allowed you to sell said bluray im an instant to anywhere in the world and you could ship anywhere in the world in an instant, and the person who bought it could receive it in an instant, all without getting up from your couch, also imagine said bluray never failed or aged. It would destroy the movie industry. You can't compare digital to physical. An user made a good example that someone would set up a website where you could trade digital games online, completely cutting off developers from profit. In a couple of years all you would have would be some kind of free to play or subscription game. No other games would survive.

>Americuck can only think in food analogies
Ironic, since your food is trash.

but all video games are digital

A used ticket is not the same thing as a digital game. One is physical the other isn't. Arguments against reselling your digital games are about the consequences

Imagine carrying this much about whether billionaires continue to be billionaires or not.

A movie theater screening is a service, not a good.

>left handed
2/10 wouldn't bang

>billionaires
Most devs dont even break even on their work.

so you think you shouldnt be allowed to sell a digital copy of a movie? that's bullshit

Pretty much.

Dumbest fucking argument I've ever read.

>can play game
Not if they don't have the serial code.

I can't believe this is the same girl with the birth defect that made her left hand grow out of her belly-button.

most devs work for giant publishers and earn a wage with shitty bonuses

You bought a contract for a specific game for personal use only valid for as long as the contract exists. Selling = transferring the license = contract is void = product doesn't exist so you've nothing to sell

The real problem is digital reselling will just make subscription services mainstream.

He thinks he's being smart, but that's how a movie theater operates. The theater is basically renting out their copy of the movie to you. Well technically they're renting you space in an area where the movie will be screened, but that distinction doesn't really mean anything to this argument.

First Sale Doctrine says you are wrong.

Yes, it's a trade im willing to make. I rather have no digital re sales than have all videogames be multiplayer subscription games.

>food analogies

Attached: 1567571081911.gif (160x119, 1.78M)

It shouldn't apply to digital because it would destroy the market.

Nah the ticket analogy doesn’t work well because you use the ticket a single time. A game can be used and reused indefinitely. A better analogy would be a DVD, or even a car.

Except this ruling states that it does. So the market will need to learn to adjust to the law.

still bad because digital good arent physical objects, and will always be in the condition as "new"
Honestly im fine with people wanted to sell digital stuff but it should be tied to digital accounts if people wanna sell their shit so badly

This is the same argument that movie studios made about the VCR and that record companies made about the mp3 player. Get new material.

I know, im just saying it shouldn't. Also the market will adjust, it will just adjust in a way everyone here will hate because in a market where digital games can be resold the only viable bussiness model becomes subscription based MP games or MP gakes with consumables. It would destroy every other type of game, simgke player games would be fucked.

Why are people making a big thing out of digital reselling? On most platforms digital games can be shared easily. How is reselling any different other than it being a bit more conveniant?

Attached: 1567399913803.gif (278x256, 2.05M)

How old is this gif? I know I've see it many times throughout the years. And given her hair style, it must be from the mid to late 2000s

The law is made by retarded old people that need to hurry up and die or retire.

Any type of digital selling just fucks the market forever because then most people would end up buying used copies thereby cutting out the dev from making money. In a physical market a physical copy does come "use", a digital copy is new, forever.

That's nursie-chan.
Used to lurk here 10 years ago.

Attached: 1551477020748.jpg (640x480, 77K)

>tfw no qt teenage scene gf

Attached: 1561158793176.png (412x351, 74K)

Retarded old people who are fighting for your right to actually own property.

>it would destroy the market.
Good.

I guarantee none of them put any of the thought that we're putting in to this issue. They just happened upon something important while stumbling around meaninglessly.

who the fuck are these bootlicker cucks that spawn out of nowhere to defend giant megacorporations on twitter

What causes these people to so willingly surrender their consumer rights?

Being Americans.

>megacorporation
What kind of stupid commie proorganda are you eating up user. Most devs that will be affected by this are mom and pop devs, most indie devs don't even break even. Steam wont be affected by this, they will adapt. Who will get fuck by this dumb ass ruling are the little people who make unique games. Stop being a retard who thinks every business is some evil entity made up of evil rich people.

I tought french were the surrendering one

This is the artist by the way

Attached: kern1.png (806x584, 744K)

>Most devs that will be affected by this are mom and pop devs, most indie devs don't even break even.
Good. Fuck your text adventures and gay immigrant walking simulators.

This is fucking idiotic
Whenever you buy a physical copy of a game, you're buying the disc it's stamped on, and by all means, you should be able to sell, trade it, or use it as a frisbee.

But when you buy a digital version of a game, you're buying the license because the game is otherwise intangible, so saying you can re-sell the license is like saying any company that is licensed a brand should be able to re-sell that brand to whomever they want.

FYI, licenses don't fucking work that way.

Attached: 1255931136960.jpg (126x82, 3K)

To be honest if "consumer rights" mean i never get played the games i want ever again, then fuck it dude. I don't want them.

What's the point of consumer rights if they destroy the very thing, i, as a consumer like.

Fuck wrong thread

If their games are so small there probably won't be a very large second-hand market. The exact same thing has been said about piracy and indie studios still exist.

Yeah let's compare games to movie tickets so publishers will start selling single playthroughs at scheduled times. Surely everyone will enjoy that.

Except you are wrong. The ruling states that just because something is digital doesn't magically make it a license. It is still property you have paid for, and thus you can do what you wish with that property.

Stay in school, kid.

Well hes a dumb faggot, everyone knows movie theaters make most of their money off the concession not the tickets

>Steam wont be affected by this, they will adapt. Who will get fuck by this dumb ass ruling are the little people who make unique games.
This is the thing to realize. In any industry, the bigger a company is, the more resilient to regulations it is. Meanwhile the small businesses suffer due to not being able to afford to wade through the red tape.

>Sneak into multiple showings with a single movie ticket

Attached: 1553842176827.jpg (443x471, 89K)

But you already are able to resell your movie ticket after seeing the movie.
What a stupid tweet and thread.

Attached: 1502856388168.png (300x300, 38K)

u mean vhs

How is maintaining the right to resell going to destroy video games?

>people can resell your game now
>WADING THROUGH THE RED TAPE

Would kill sales and likely cause publishers to go even more towards f2p/games as a service type approaches.

suck my disk, digital apologists

Yes, my statement is very rudimentary, but that's how shit works.

Saying you can re-sell a digital copy of a game is like saying you can copy a physical copy of a game and legally be able to re-sell that.
>Why not--I bought the disc I copied it on, why can't I duplicate to infinity.

Nope
Get a job and actually learn how the real world works outside your basement.

Attached: 1275192508293.jpg (211x193, 8K)

user used game sales killed the AA market. Remember those mp games that used to come in new games late last decade. That was devs trying to arop the used game sells because it was fucking them up. AAA survived but AA and A git fucked and disappeared. Even know we don't have a healthy AA industry, we slowly getting it back but smaller devs simply can't survive this.

Is Yea Forums actually this retarded, this would kill the single player game industry

Do you guys remember books? They were great, it's a shame that no one ever wrote a book after the Kindle was made.

Unlicensed duplication is still illegal though, and always has been.

It wouldn't kill any good game for sure, so good riddance.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand why do you think it's illegal
>Hint: IT'S AGAINST THE LICENSE

If game reselling killed AA surely Steam would have revived it? It seems like there must have been more to blame.

According to France, digital games, digital music, digital movies, digital tv shows, all of it the consumer should be able to sell, and the seller of the digital good is responsible for upholding this system.

It's illegal because there are laws saying they are, not because the company says it is.

I'd call him a retard but I already got banned for calling Mia Khalifa a whore who doesn't know shit about football (she got paid to fuck so idk how that's "hate speech").

Every single industry will do everything in their power to prevent that from happening.

No, it's just regular illegal. The reason is because code is technically a written work so it's protected under the same laws that books are and that's also why the Internet Archive is allowed to function.

Except it would, it makes no difference if a game is good or bad, a digital game doesn't degrade, it would be the exact same if you bought it used and at that point why would anyone buy games normally when you can get cheaper copies just as easily and legally. People aren't going to say this game is good so I'm going to buy it at double the price so the devs get their cut, they are just going to get the cheaper one. All we would be left with is subscription based and microtransaction riddled games, or are you a fucking retard who thinks those are good games.

>NOOOOOO CONSUMER RIGHTS ARE BAD MY SUGARDADDY GABEN NEEDS MORE MONEY

Imagine being a stockholm syndrome cuckhold faggot who actually believes this shit

Attached: 1560913822541.jpg (1080x1012, 82K)

imagine looking at theaters and seeing food
fucking dobson

Wow a retard on twitter has a shit opinion

>unironically being this much of a retarded commie

Every game will become a subscription or pay2win

>try deepthroating a banana
>gag reflex
it's quite a skill they have.

>You bought a contract for a specific showing at a specific time
you just solved the problem

Paying for games is anti-consumer, they should just be giving them away for free

i could be nice to resell games but it will come with a catch like the publisher taking 80% of your sale

no but you can sell your dvds after you watch them

>If we don't suck the dicks of multitrillion dollar corporations 24/7 they will turn evil!
Do you also throw virgins into volcanos?
Consumer should ask for more rights, only women and fags enjoy being slaves

>he tried it
lmao sissy fag.

That’s actually what might happen. Another even larger free to play boom is coming.

>steam (and all other digital retailers) are forced to allow product resale
>they allow resale in the form of "only we are allowed to buy it, and we will only give you one cent for your product if you choose to do so"

Every new game isn't already subscription based or P2W or shoved full of micro transactions, if not a combination of all three???

That would be cool I guess, used steam games. Would probably allow you to turn it into a code after a set time period. Too bad I don't need it, only things I ever log into steam for are TF2 and Counter Strike, everything else I just pirated, except for Psychonauts I just wanted to buy that one for 2 dollars.

Attached: hot mario.png (1128x1856, 283K)

This isn't some monkey paw shit, they have to allow resale to anyone using the site. They can't operate as a market if they force consumers to only sell to them, especially not in the EU.

They like getting paid. If you can endlessly resell digital copies, that's like legalizing piracy. One sale can wipe out 100 potential sales, as that guy just gets his money back by selling to the next guy.

So, if you were in charge of making money from video games, what would you do?

>literally who
>turns out he's a shitty indie developer
Of course.

>implying this will matter much with all the steam sales and key reseller sites that will drive the prices down on the long run

Attached: 1539007322285.png (723x677, 975K)

You can endlessly resell boxed games, and Gamestop is still around

>search Bill Gardner
>see that he produced Perception
>Metacritic: 56 by critics, 6,5 by users
Yeah, this is cope.

>especially not in the EU.
>mfw steam and epic become 60/month subscription services in yuroland

A better analogy would be selling your albums from iTunes library

Resale market will drive prices so far below peak discount sale prices. It's a literal race to the bottom with undercutting especially as interest diminishes past the first month after launch. You get immediate access to a potentially global resale market. Regional pricing will absolutely crater resale values.

Boxed games are different from digital games. A boxed game wears, you have to go to Gamestop to get it.

A digital resale is a 100% perfect copy of the game that is absolutely indistinguishable in every way from the original. Why would anyone buy a new digital game when they can get the same game in exactly the same condition with exactly the same amount of effort as a resale?

I wonder if valve might be able to set up a reselling marketplace while giving a cut to the publisher/devs in that context.

SEETHING shills ITT. Get fucked.

They do get a share of every digital object sold in the Steam Market (without "place" at the end).

The same probably applies in the US I just don't know your laws. But it would be equivalent to Amazon only allowing you to sell things you've bought on Amazon to Amazon.

Dumb commies unaware of how badly they're going to get fucked by this

Attached: 1540662609994.png (1129x571, 1.36M)

he's probably a zoomer who never owned dvds or blurays

steam isn't a DVD you dumb piece of shit

Because not every game will have resale options, and not every game will have anybody wanting to resell it. When Valve implements resale, they might choose to make so you *can* resell, but they won't support an open market like they do for items. There would be 3rd party markets but Valve could make those illegal as well.

I honestly can't believe we've gotten to the point where people are this retarded and regularly argue against their own rights using bullshit they've been fed by others. You're the type of person destroying this industry and hobby, not the courts or your rights.

Valve shills in full force. Jesus christ stockholm syndrome is real

Nah, it'll just be eurozone countries forced into UNLIMITED game streaming services where, for a fixed amount per month, you can have 3-5 games on your system at no charge. When a new game comes out, you free up a slot for it. And the monthly charge will be about what a new game or two costs.

Or, you get EU-specific games loaded with microtransactions

Can't be assed to check if fake or gay, but goddamn what a shitshow that would be. Just look at Steam marketplace as it is.

Attached: 1337749040151.gif (200x179, 639K)

Serious question: Shouldn't this ruling apply to music and movie purchases made on online stores? There's no reason video games should be singled out.

Why is valve being singled out and not digital purposes on xbox or ps4 and such?

>When Valve implements resale, they might choose to make so you *can* resell, but they won't support an open market like they do for items.

As far as I read, the French ruling says unlimited resale across any market of digitally-downloaded games. The digital game is your "property" after all, and you can resell it to anyone you want!

This of course just means it's going to crater game sales in the eurozone and they'll go to "alternate" pricing models in order to not go out of business

Yes you should, you cant view a movie with that ticket since the time of the show has already passed, but of course you should be allowed to sell the piece of paper.

Though his analogy is retarded, what he accidentally did was highlight what WILL happen if such laws are pushed through the courts and applied to all relevant products.

>movie ticket
>means you're allowed 1-3 hours of access to a theater to watch a product

>game ticket
>means you're allowed 1 month of access to a product
which is already happening, it's on Ubisoft/Microsoft/etc in game passes, but this will only drive that to be the only way its available.

You can't resell ebooks retard. ebooks, like digital video games, are licensed to a single user with no way of reselling them.

>When Valve implements resale, they might choose to make so you *can* resell, but they won't support an open market like they do for items. There would be 3rd party markets but Valve could make those illegal as well.
I hope you realize that ruling doesn't work that way. They wouldn't be able to arbitrarily say "Well you can resell this but not that." If they had the right to do that, they could just say nothing is resellable.

because valve is a private company, not a publicly traded one. thus why egs has such a hate boner for steam and literally ignores that there are other store fronts out there.

Because even a Boomer judge can realize how moronic that'd be

While shit will definitely impact gaming devs, the valve jews will find a way to profit from it by setting up something like . The only variable is the regional pricing since the steam market had some exploits between the change from russia currency to euro cents.

What does that have to do with the law in france??

How is it any more moronic for those than it is for games?

yes, but sneed

If you are willing to pay for videogames that arent multiplayer subscription based, then someone will make them.

Serious answer: yes, this should absolutely apply to all digital goods. This ruling would set a precedent for resale of all perpetual digital licenses. Subscriptions will be the future ala Stadia or GamePass

I wish there was data on whether games on xbox or ps4 sell more digitally (no reselling) or via disc (reselling)

People say being able to resell games will kill the video game market but the market has had resold games for its entire existence until the latest two console gens!

So what's to stop someone from selling a game they have downloaded and refuse to delete?

i don't know, i'm just saying this is why in general its always about steam/valve and never about any other digital store fronts. they're always targeting valve and trying to ruin them to try and force valve to open up to publicly traded stocks.

They'd probably force you to be online and go through with the sale/loss of the license in order to sell it. You could keep the files and crack the game to keep it I guess, but most people aren't going to do that. For DRM free stuff though, that shit is basically just free/cheaper games all day every day.

Apparently digital has over taken physical.

He's wrong though. This is digital content you are buying. It's your property. You should be able to resell at whatever price you want. When you go watch a movie to the cinema you aren't buying property, you are buying a service. It's like going to the restaurant, eating food and asking for a refund later. What a fucking ignorant.

Attached: mfg.jpg (280x400, 19K)

Book sales are struggling dude, also you couldn't resell kindle books until now. This will also affect small publishers.

That's not what I mean at all. Think about it.
If they want to promote reselling they might
>show the lowest resale offer below the price of the game
>have a section of the store dedicated to buying resold games
>allow you to filter these games by 50% of original price
>award steam exp for buying and selling games
>add achievements for buying and selling games
If they wanted to discourage it they might
>make it so that reselling games is like trade offers in runescape: you have to click on a profile and offer it to them
>make it so you can only have one offer open at a time
>add a cooldown period for resale offers
>make it really hard to find the "make offer" button (quite risky legally but probably safe)
>forbid third-party price listing websites

I hope this explains my position, does it make sense to you guys now? Do you think they might try some of these?

Is this going to lead to the second crash? This industry needs a hard fucking reset.

Attached: 1548221841023.jpg (231x259, 18K)

Never forget that everyone with money and power HATES anyone with an audience + private control over it.

They will do anything to end Steam, since it's exclusively controlled by Newell and there's NOTHING they can do about that. And because can NEVER have a slice of his pie, they will try to ruin his pie instead.

>> Implying thats a reason not to do something
Destroying old, obsolete markets is a good thing. If a business model cant survive in the digital environment then the companies should adapt or disappear.

>(quite risky legally but probably safe)
Not in the EU. They take that shit very seriously. If you try to circumvent shit by making it difficult to do, they'll fuck you in the ass.

l'm curious. Link it

This would have killed literary every game Yea Forums likes. Even boomer shit like Deus Ex would have been a complete failure in a market with digital resale.

Because reselling digital copies of artistic works, which do not degrade, you crater sales for those artistic works. If you sell a copy of a movie to someone, two hours later you are competing with your former customer to sell the next copy of that movie. It creates an instant race to the bottom, whereby at a certain number of sales, it is no longer profitable to try to sell the thing, because you are selling against ten thousand consumers who've already enjoyed the product and are now just looking to get some of their money back, even if it's a few cents on the dollar.

Thus, the people who invested their money to pay the creative people don't make any money, and thus they stop investing in this activity, thus no creators get paid, and thus no more things get made until an alternative method of pricing the things gets worked out.

But since people still want the things they make, they'll just switch to a Netflix model, and people will end up owning nothing, just paying for access to the games. Because otherwise the industry dies.

Attached: 1558959985067.jpg (480x685, 27K)

>Imagine that all movies only came out on bluray
>only on bluray
>BDA's bullshit with DRM baked into THE VERY FUCKING FORMAT ITSELF
Jesus christ NO

Attached: 24354787652.jpg (234x215, 52K)

You definitely would be able to resell movie tickets. They're an one off license to see the movie, so enjoy your stub of paper.
A digital vidya sale permits you to play the game today, tomorrow and in the future, so meanwhile I'll be selling those, thank you very much.

Steam was reviving it, look at Greedfall. But if this becomes the norm it would get killed again.

Its not against the license, its against copyright laws. People are not arguing about duplicating a digital good, its about the transference of one, if you resell it you lose the property of it.

I think a big question is if there’s essentially gonna be a digital GameStop or not. And will publishers and stores get a cut of each resale.

what a retard
u can resell ur movies on DVD So fuck off u retard

i'm a gook and my old chinese gf looked like this. she was a prized beauty

Yea Forums is so dumb, like this has to be falseflagging right, would you really tank the entire single players games industry just for "muh consumer rights", there's a reason it's the way it is now

Actually, it's illegal because it violates copyright law.
The license is actually completely unnecessary.

I imagine they'll make it so normies can't stumble upon it by accident, but if you try to look for it you'll find it. I'm sure they'll make it so they can argue that anybody could "reasonably" find it