Is it the best elder scrolls game...

Is it the best elder scrolls game? Oblivion is loved because of nostalgia and Skyrim is just kinda shitty by today's standards (and even 2011's standards to be honest) Daggerfall might be another contender in my opinion.

Attached: morrowind.0.jpg (1200x800, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lxmbfvycbv0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Daggerfall > Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim > Arena

>a newer game is loved because nostalgia

Absolutely and completely based

My point was that oblivion's only merit is nostalgia. It is undeniable that people are more blindly nostalgic towards oblivion than morrowind. And morrwind's environment and the immersion that came from having to navigate that environment without guidance makes for a better experience.

this but in the opposite direction

Daggerfall is fun for 5 minutes then you realize you've seen and done everything interesting in the game

Attached: 1545971043002.jpg (390x382, 15K)

I think you mean arena my friend. Daggerfall has some samey bullshit but it has a lot more diversity than arena.

better than arena means nothing. a game needs to stand on its own merits, not just be better than another game. daggerfall is the same shit over and over with little variation and shitty presentation.

Damn, seems like someone got lost in the tutorial dungeon.

arena before daggerfall
and skyrim before morrowind
huh, hrm, ic

Sounds like you never really played daggerfall.

Daggerfall is the best "old school" rpg out of them. Skyrim is the best "action" rpg out of them.
Morrowind is somewhere in the middle but it is still my favorite.
Arena and Oblivion are both shit.

Attached: nwa.jpg (500x333, 48K)

Anyone that says daggerfall is a literal retard and cannot be trusted.

daggerfall gives the most variety and freedom in terms of your character and what you can do. i can see why people like it but i'm not into it.

Never thought i'd say this before, but fpbp

t. never played Daggerfall

Attached: tomb.png (1920x1080, 436K)

t. butthurt Morrowind babby who can't handle the fact that Daggerfall players view him the same way he does Oblivion players.

Yes. It still has some pretty big flaws but overall it's a much less flawed than any of the games that came before it or after it.

>daggerfall gives the most variety and freedom in terms of your character and what you can do
No it doesn't. There is only a handful of modules that generate enormous dungeons. There is zero variety and all you can do is run dungeons. (which are shit because they are procgen'd and have no actual level design) Its a genuinely bad game.
Shut up retard.

Should I use Openmw or is MGE still the best way to play?

>handful
Try 18 dungeon types alone composed of all kinds of different blocks.

I'm not even a Zoomer, but this meme argument is retarded, you can say that any of the previous Elder Scrolls titles were better in their respective year, but saying that any of them hold up as well as Skyrim is just plain untrue.

>have to metagame and look up guides just so you dont get btfo
Ive finally played the game you keep sucking dick about, boomers. And it's absolute dogshit. The only thing keeping it apart from it's successors is the lore and the multipart armors. Everything else is bleh

the entire main quest line is based around a low level main character and guilds have requirements so you can keep up your relevancy up facing the upcoming quests

you didnt even play the game

I can't speak to Arena because I barely played it, but Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim all have things they do better than the others.
Morrowind comes out on top for all-around being the best, in my opinion.

>Makes potion that makes you make better potions

>>have to metagame and look up guides just so you dont get btfo
Just play the game, or do you not know how do that and instead have to be told how to by someone else?

>having to navigate that environment without guidance makes for a better experience.
So much this. I remember how long it took me to find the dwemer puzzle box hooooollllyyyy shit, and it was just on a lower shelf to the left of the cave entrance. I went through that whole damn place, going to the right fist haha

Every time. Every time I fuck up that quest and spend 500% more time in that place than I need to.

For a second quest in the main story, it was really confusing.

Also, Morrowind didn't have leveling enemies like modern games, and the bandits in that cave were higher level than a new player just starting the main quest. Even finding the entrance was a small feat, because you only had a couple spoken directions to it. But here we are, 15 years later and I still remember it.

t. Zoomer who pretends he likes old crpgs to look cool online

What the fuck?
Are their actually nigga's who think morrowind was good? Are you fucking with us? this has gotta be bait.

Morrowwind and daggerfall are the two WORST games in the elder scrolls

>daggerfall
>doesn't fucking work half the time
>dungeons literally don't fucking work
>the game is just so buggy its unplayable without a million user made patches which make the game crash 90% of the time

>morrowind
>WTF even was the story
>combat sucks, having this RNG system in the combat was fucking horrible
>balance is just fucking horrible,
>Even by early 2000's standards the game looked fucking horrible
>only fun to meme in.
>Did i mention it's fucking broken as hell?

And you say skyrim is the worst?
Skyrim is by far the best in the series.
Its nowhere near fucking perfect, FAAAR from it. But lets face it, you would rather play skyrim 10/10 times then any other elder scrolls game.
Oblivion is a great game but its combat, magic, and overall story and gameplay are very weak when compared to even skyrims boring ass fucking gameplay. Atleast it had a little variety with shouts and magic that was visually cool, and a generic yet cool main storyline with visually impressive scenes and fights.

People who say shit like,
>IT WAS BETTER BACK THEN!
>NEW POPULAR GAME=BAD
>OLD GAME= GOOD

are fucking idiots who probably haven't even played the fucking game, their just riding the Yea Forums and reddit dick train of hating on something popular and saying its predecessors were better

OP you have zero fucking clue what your talking about. If you actually played these games, especially daggerfall, you would know they are fucking horrible. Especially fucking daggerfall.

Attached: Yikes.png (276x256, 57K)

Bullshit. Skyrim is awful and uninspired in vanilla. Oblivion has better quests and guilds which matter a lot more than le duel wielding

>>WTF even was the story
unironically to deep for you apparently
>>combat sucks, having this RNG system in the combat was fucking horrible
I agree mostly, it was a bad decision
>>balance
It's an RPG why does balance even matter?
>>Even by early 2000's standards the game looked fucking horrible
it was really good looking for an RPG at that time. I doubt you were even alive.

Morrowind>Skyrim>=Oblivion>Daggerfall=ESO>>>Arena

Though, Lorewise:
ESO>Morrowind>Oblivion>Skyrim>Daggerfall>Arena

It's not the best at all. You have to level up fucking weapon skill which makes no sense whatsoever.
>swing your weapon
>clips through enemy and does no damage
>repeat 50 more times until you start only missing half the time instead of 90% of the time
Yeah dude great fucking game. I love Morrowind but it is objectively garbage, gameplay wise. Fucking trash game.

read the first half of this post then
>Oblivion is a great game
you are a bad human

Attached: shitty vidya.png (132x131, 45K)

Morrowind is the only one that really involves you in the game's setting. Even if you barely pay attention to the story you still learn a lot about Morrowind's politics, religion and cultural customs because they're woven into everything in the game.

Daggerfall got fixed with Daggerfall Unity, and mods will only make it better.

>too deep for you
AHAHAHAHAHAHA peak Yea Forums
>Why does balance matter?
Are you fucking joking?
Most of the map is unaccesbile because enemies don't scale. They are set at certain levels. This isn't bad per say but it makes the game WAY less fun. It made exploring almost impossible.Then as you got further into the game. ironically theirs less incentive to explore. You completly avoid the low level areas, even if you have never been there, because theirs no incentive to get items or do quests for useless amounts of money and equipment.

>by 2002 the game looked good
I wrote my post pretty hastily, and should probably elaborate.
The games graphics from a technical standpoint, and for a game of its size are pretty good, great even.
But from a stylistic standpoint it looks horrible
Everything is just murky or brown. Its so visually unappealing. You may say this was on purpose, but It just looks stale.
Theirs some towns that look pretty good, but every dungeon and every large open area (which theirs a lot of) are just so uninspired and just a little bit of color would go such a long way.
Another problem with the graphics is that they are all over the place, towns and cities seem to have just been placed on a bunch of terrain without any care or thought. The textures don't blend at all and seem they were just placed there.
This goes for really all the structures in the game

why is it everytime someone talks shit about morrowind its a literal troglodyte

Keep seething

>Also, Morrowind didn't have leveling enemies like modern games,
Why do people keep saying this? Or more precisely, why do people who have clearly not played the game keep pretending they did?

This might be some of the THE dumbest shit I've ever seen on this board. Congratulations.

Are you a zoomer? You're getting so heated about posts on 4channel that you won't even remember by tomorrow evening. Maybe the game isn't for you, that's ok. The rest of us like it

People will shit on you but you are based and correct

Attached: 1551039852964.jpg (223x286, 47K)

More to the point, he is just straight up, objectively WRONG about just about every single line he writes.
He is lying.

And that makes it rather fascinating. It's not just that he gets worked up about a game he dislikes (that is fine, it's what this board is about).

BUT HE IS FUCKING LYING ABOUT PRETTY MUCH EVERY SINGLE POINT HE COMPLAINS ABOUT.

Ignoring how fucking dumb it is to bitch and whine about lack of level scaling and acting like lack of level scaling means the game "is not ballanced":
Morrowind had levelscaling up the fucking ARSE.

So the real question is: what exactly happens that a person has to go out of his way to straight up LIE about a game he clearly never had played, just to justify his... fear of it? He has not played it, so it has to be fear, not dislike.

it's almost like this is established convention in RPGs

Attached: 3-thorgone003.png (480x320, 32K)

Is Knights of The Nine supposed to be this boring? It feels like it was made with zero effort just so Todd can milk more shekkels off of Oblivion's hype.

Today i will remind them
youtube.com/watch?v=Lxmbfvycbv0

>WTF even was the story
Actually a really clever twist on the "Chosen one" fantasy trope and still arguably the best story of any Bethesda game up till date. It weaves the history of the world into the plot incredibly well, takes full advantage of the open-world nature of the settings, has some real complexity and depth to it, and in general, it is actually just very very good.

If you just don't know the story because you clearly haven't played the game for ANY relevant amount of time, maybe just... don't draw attention to it? It's pathetic when you try to criticize game for your own ignorance of major elements of it.

>combat sucks, having this RNG system in the combat was fucking horrible
So you FUNDAMENTALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT AN RPG IS?

>balance is just fucking horrible,
While the game has actual ballance issues, as you later reveal, your issue with the ballance is the lack of level scaling. Which would be idiotic enough on it's own.
But it's INCREDIBLY idiotic considering the game has level scaling, and quite considerable one on top of that. This makes me wonder if you have played ANY of the game what so ever.

>Even by early 2000's standards the game looked fucking horrible
In terms of graphics, it was one of the most impressive games of its time.
In terms of art direction, which you whine about later, it is STILL the best Beth game up to date. Because it's actually imaginative, strange, creative. If you genuinely thing the generic Tolkien land made out of PVC in Oblivion, or the generic American-who-has-never-seen-a-picture-of-scandinavia's idea of Scandinavia in Skyrim were better art direction, you are fucking brain-dead.

>only fun to meme in.
Literally meaningless statement.

>Did i mention it's fucking broken as hell?
No more or less than any other game that Beth released.

>put no points into weapon proficiency
>suck at using that weapon
wow

Enemies literally do not scale to your level in Morrowind. You will never find a common bandit decked out in Daedric or Ebony shit like you will in the scaling systems of the later games. This is not a difficult concept to understand for non-autistic people.

Jesus you are a fucking moron, that is beyond belief.
I've spend several hundreds of hours in Morrowinds level editor. 90% of all enemies are level scaled. Just because the level scaling in Morrowind isn't as INSANELY POOR AND OBVIOUS in Oblivion does not mean it's not there, you cretin. Don't talk about shit you clearly don't know anything about. It's pathetic.

>my opinion
>my opinion
>my opinion
But there's so much poo in your opinion, user

It's the only good Elder Scrolls game besides Redguard.

Attached: dadlvix-53bada2d-0c63-4d44-bb57-fddb749eeb08.jpg (1500x1000, 1.18M)

>You will never find a common bandit decked out in Daedric or Ebony
imagine this being a complaint

Attached: 1511480763818.jpg (1462x1462, 189K)

When people say Morrowind isn't scaled, they haven't played the game past level ten or messed around with mods much. Because merging leveled lists becomes a requirement if you want to really expand Morrowind through mods.

Says he knows lore then complains about daedric armor not being common enough. I think this is a bait

Attached: absolutely-exhausted-tired-fair-haired-young-man-keeping-his-eyes-closed-pinching-bridge-nose-standi (800x534, 40K)

I genuinelly suspect that people who claim Morrowind wasn't level scaled simply haven't played any other RPG than Oblivion and maybe Skyrim to begin with, and definitely not played Morrowind.

Scaling of both enemies and loot was fucking INTEGRAL to Morrowind. It's just not as lazy than it was in the later Beth games. But you really have to be brain-dead not to notice it if you play any relevant time of the game.

I'm enjoying weapons and armor diversity more so than expanded economics, as weird shit like oddly modeled beef doesn't show up in containers

>you would rather play skyrim 10/10 times then any other elder scrolls game
you would, I would, we would, they would, who in the fuck would this apply to, especially when the rest of your post is inflammatory bait
You are a rpg nooblet, anyone who talks shit about Morrowind is, it's the best in the series, before a lot of the important stuff was removed, and only pieces reappear in simplistic games like BotW Zelda
>Morrowwind and daggerfall are the two WORST games in the elder scrolls
when arena exists? anyone who is caught agreeing with you is as much a newb as you are
>as you got further into the game. ironically theirs less incentive to explore. You completly avoid the low level areas, even if you have never been there, because theirs no incentive to get items or do quests for useless amounts of money and equipment.
I will secede to this point, it's fairly true of any rpg I've played. Once you outpace content there's just less to do, it sucks.
If you dislike the art direction you're free to mod it, players are supposed to be exploring a volcanic swampy land.
You can hold to your opinions but you should hear everyone's passion for the game out and give it a try on its own merit, it does everything fairly well, I for one love the dialogue system and I find it sad it isn't in other games.

>before a lot of the important stuff was removed, and only pieces reappear in simplistic games like BotW Zelda
Mind elaborating on that?

Both.

>I will secede to this point, it's fairly true of any rpg I've played. Once you outpace content there's just less to do, it sucks.
EXCEPT NOT IN MORROWIND BECAUSE - it BAFFLES ME THAT THIS NEEDS TO BE REPEATED TIME AFTER TIME: MORROWIND HAS LEVEL SCALING UP THE ARSE.

The fuck? Is everyone else high?

Not the poster, but I think the way breath of the wild uses landmarks is something missing from modern rpgs. Try and walk around the witcher 3 without opening your menu map every minute. All the forrests look the same. I haven't played much skyrim but i suspect that is the case the with it as well

you used to be able to climb, and craft spells
using BotW as an example, it had a cool sandbox and you can of course clamber up anything you see
Old school ES you could fortify your feet and leap around like a ninja, you could fly around, hurl balls of poisonous ice that blew up like meteors killing everything in a radius
Bethesda sifted down the possibilities going so far as to remove spears for crying out loud. In a series that allowed you to become part of the pantheon for realsies, they have you be the chosen one, and you don't become a full fledged deity.

Wtf are you saying in this post?

You sir are incorrect, Morrowind is the best game because it had the best exploration, best music, weapon and armor variety, best villain, best artifacts, best guild progression and best world building, you can't dispute this.

What I'm saying is that out of maybe ten different people posting in this thread, only two have actually played the game, and the rest - including you - is LARPING.

You just seceded his point about the lack of level scaling. Meaning that you yourself aren't aware that Morrowind has level scaling. Meaning that you have not played the game. Meaning that you, like the person you are responding to, are PRETENDING to know the game even though you don't.

And that is fucking pathetic.

I just couldn't understand your post. The game is so clearly leveled that I'm just chillin drinking my cofefe bruh

how does someone become as dumb as you lol, bang your head against the wall ironically or something

Daggerfall>Morrowind>Oblivion>Skyrim

oh wait

>Daggerfall above anything
Is this a meme?

Are you a meme?