Can kojima program or do 3d?

can kojima program or do 3d?
what exactly does he do?

Attached: Kojimbo_ebc853_5801768.jpg (433x482, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuierUvx1A
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=JZ6ZzJeWgpY
youtube.com/watch?v=L6aPAncMHKA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He makes games,I guess

yeah but he can't just do everything.
he's gotta specialize in a specific skill.

He has some technical skills. Kojima is a director, he has a vision and tells everyone how to execute it.

Attached: c568e97b4102fe478ec17629a94a0cde.jpg (500x545, 39K)

He's a director. He directs.

He's a designer. He designed the entire level design, encounters, bosses, cutsene and event locations of MGS 1 & 2. His employees take his plans and did the code, art, graphics, animation etc.

The madman.

I know this is bait, but it's called game direction and design, faggot. Basically the most important part of a game development team.

Epitome of an idea guy. Except hes a literal retard

Pretty sure he does nothing but fuck hollywood actors. He's the japanese weinstein.

He's the DJ Khalid of video games. He doesn't actually do anything but manages to spend a lot of money and put his name all over movie games

>He designed the entire level design, encounters, bosses, cutsene and event locations of MGS 1 & 2
so basically he's an ideas guy?
absolutely no technical skill(s).

great guy. I respect that he wastes Sony's money to hang out with hollywood hotshots and eat burgers.

Attached: 1529532650615.gif (320x214, 2.43M)

>fuck hollywood actors
He wishes. He pays celebs to hang out and take pictures with him

He is retard

Design/planning and management are technical skills. It's why you've never done anything with your life. You have no idea what to actually do or how.

Oh, so he's literally an ideas guy. Gotcha.

>thinking he doesn't fuck them using sony money

Sorry bro all your hollywood waifus are getting fucked by jap dick

He literally tells other people what to do
No he doesn't, he's literally the ideas guy. Everyone else makes the game.
So being a boss and telling people what to do

Nah he wrote at least part of the engine for Policenauts and MG1 as well iirc.

>le idea guy XD
You people have no idea what game design actually is, don't you?

he's a game director. you know, one of the only non-npc members of game development teams

>Design/planning and management are technical skills.
where do you see any mention of anything remotely related to technical aspect of these?
it sounds like he just gets to think of things that would be cool to have in a game and makes actual technical people carry out creating those things. at this point kojima didn't make the game. the technical team did.

Based retard

>directors need technical skills

Attached: 1534146314832.png (657x539, 110K)

he watches a lot of movies and posts food on twitter

>you need to know how to program AND direct AND model!!!!!
you are underage.

ihe is the ideas man

Clearly you don't either.

writing a part of an engine to a game from decades ago that at most had to deal with mostly displaying 2d pictures and responding to controller events is nothing.
i bet in latest games he hasn't written a single lime of code, made a single 3d as
that's not ok.

shhh

Attached: 1568837607732.png (592x684, 322K)

fancy way of saying ideas guy

Square makes shitty games, so no one cares about LE EBIN PROGRAMMING DIRECTOR XD

>square makes shitty games

Attached: 1568916761568.png (685x408, 495K)

i'm just pointing out what he is - an ideas guy.
he's in a gamedev industry and he literally has no skills to make games except telling people what to do to bring his visions to life by actual people with technical skills.

Directors coordinate what other developers do. They come around the artists and say 'oh no that's shit make it again but good this time ok' and that's it for every part of a game, like music, level design, dialogue, animations and so on.

You seem like the type to get mad because programmers make wagie pay, while the actual brains behind the business and concepts make bank.
>you are a code monkey, easily replaceable

Attached: amazon_cage_wagie3.jpg (1500x1200, 257K)

>that's not ok
o i am laffin at u - its ok enough for sony to bankroll the whole project and for him to get A list actors in it an for it to outsell MGSV

lol that's fucking bullshit.
he's literally a hack.
no skills except bossing people with actual skills around.

Yes, He can program. IIRC He wrote the scripting engine in Snatcher.

>anime poster
case in point

didnt hee made policenauts all by hinself?

this. Yea Forumstards are just jealous of a creative mind

t. assblasted easily replaceable codemonkey

Attached: monky_shrugmad.gif (352x224, 989K)

He is a failed movie director, real game devs are people like Carmack

Most of them are NEETs, so we can't really expect them to know how a business operates.

yes i am. aren't you?

i don't care that kojima, with no actual useful skills at all, works in gaming industry. what triggers me is that fact that he puts his name on things that he's at most spent 5% working on coding/modelling/etc/anything. it makes it looks like he's the only person that made these games.

Ideas guy = faggot that wants to make shit like CoD, doesn't have actual ideas, doesn't do shit, is there because too lazy to get any skill
Game designer = Has actual, comprehensive ideas, knows how to balance shit, tries to be innovative. I bet you've never designed anything.
Whatever
Depends on the field of programming. It can get very creative as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuierUvx1A

>did you hear about VR? you should try VR! Why yes, I am shilling VR. A question about my career in the 90s? How about we talk about VR instead.
Clearly the "games" guy.

Carmack wouldn't have made anything worth a shit without creatives like Romero, get over it. Games are most successful when made by teams with diverse skill sets

oh wooooow. hade a VISUAL NOVEL all by himself. that's is cuhrazzyy! he's a genius bro.

>He is a failed movie director
yeah it totally feels like he is. i don't know about failed though. shit seems to sell and held in high regard among Yea Forums.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=JZ6ZzJeWgpY

>why do movie directors get credit, I bet they can't even hold a microphone steady or use editing software

Except directors and project leads bring everyone together and organize it. It is the most essential aspect of a creative project, without the organization and direction given to the grunts - there can be no end product.

>indie dev threads shame the ideas guy
>AAA game threads suck ideas guy cock

Attached: The Big Think.png (800x774, 142K)

>Game designer = Has actual, comprehensive ideas, knows how to balance shit, tries to be innovative.
you've literally just described an ideas guy.

your version of ideas guy is a not an ideas guy. it's just some lazy, underachieving asshole who shouldn't be thinking about gamedev at all.

>le ebin centrist

true but wasn't called Romero Productions was it.

...yeah, and we got on the topic because the thread is about Kojima, a director/project lead. I'm not saying you are the anons saying he's a hack, and I don't even like his writing/directing much, but the man is a successful director that makes projects of a scale usually unseen

I get the problem now. Does anyone have a concrete definition of an "ideas guy"?
Carmack is more of an engineer than a game dev.
As a designer, you need actual games under your belt for anyone to take you seriously. That, or be good friends with people.

Attached: 806E4F17-C480-4F4B-A28B-5351DB1F46BB.png (4200x3658, 3.91M)

they should get credit. but kojima gets too much of it in relation to how hard people who have to work with him do.

The ideas guy meme comes from people who want to make games but don't actually know anything about code. They just come up with ideas and hope to make it in the industry with that

>everyone who works on a game needs to be able to code

Both Carmack and Kojima were key pieces to the success of their respective projects.
So it is odd you would praise Kojima, but criticize Carmack. Both were needed to reach the success that their games reached.
Anyone who says otherwise is a wagie programmer who is mad because he has no creative input into his work.

if the argument is that Kojima is a narcissist, I wont disagree. If the argument is that he does nothing and is unnecessary, I will call you dumb

They do get credit.
>he gets too much credit
He's made games that are older than a decade by now and people STILL love them, play them, and talk about them. He's earned the credit he gets.

So it's not derogatory?

Idea guys suck, simply because their ideas get stolen and implemented better by a programmer chad. Like Notch btfo Infiminer

or make 3d/2d assets or make sound effects.
name one, ONE, 1 thing kojima actually coded/drew/composed for any of the newest games that were' released.

>the director of a game needs to do things that aren't a part of his job

It is,I just think most people ITT are misusing it. It's basically a wannabe gamedev

I'm not trying to criticize Carmack, let me put it this way: Carmack and Romero needed eachother juast as much as Kojima needs his big Sony funded team and studio. The man would never release anything on his own of course, but neither would a director of film. You need a crew and actors and editors and composers even if you write the whole thing yourself. I'm only defending Koji as someone who does work and works hard on his hit at that

no he didn't. what? policenauts?
mgs1 was made with a team but guess who got the credit for it - him.

Right- that's what I thought it was. This thread is fucking retarded, arguing without proper definitions is retarded.

The people who have the ideas or fund projects will always get the most credit in any industry.
No one cares about the codemonkies, boom operator, editors, advertizing team. None of that matters to the wider public. People will always remember the producers, directors, and make key people like actors / voice actors.
Cry all you want. This is how it works. If you want to be remembered and make something of value, then you must do the more difficult job of coming up with the concepts and organizing them into fruition.
Other wise you will be a nameless grunt forever. Which is fine, but stop bitching because you lack ambition.

Attached: 1534179575316.jpg (736x952, 60K)

so every game he's directed would be the same without him? no, faggot. his direction is what made the games what they are, and people love them. also you seem to be unaware that credits show up after you beat games.

I read somewhere that he's tinkered with the game's code when something isn't exactly how he likes. Though this was years ago back when making games was simpler.

Time to get off the computer, lil' zoom zoom. Mommy doesn't want to have to tell you twice.

It's funny how people who want to dismiss Kojima as a guy who relies on his team, yet they never do anything to promote awareness of the other people who were involved with his games, aside from the Fukushimafags who overstate his involvement with the games for shitposting purposes and still get things wrong anyway.

>this fucking hack gook
>creative mind
top lel

Here's Kojima building the Shadow Moses maps with LEGO bricks. Like Sakurai making the poses with articulated figures
youtube.com/watch?v=L6aPAncMHKA

>so every game he's directed would be the same without him? no, faggot

Yes, and you cant prove me wrong without naming some made up bullshit. MGS was a tech demo, with crappy programmers it would have been just another average action game.

What have you created?
>burger crafter at McDicks doesn't count

Says the Yea Forums poster who never worked on a AAA game in his life.

well he can program, and do art

he is the 'ideas guy'
a glorified bullshitter

Attached: 1549457206248.png (4760x4986, 638K)

how does one get a "director" job in video games? in movies is a completely different story course wise

Yes he can.
He made his own scripting engine for Snatcher because he was autistic and the coders weren't doing exactly what he wanted.
He also worked on the AI of soldiers in MGS1 and 2, and in map modelling, from doing initial concepts with Legos to actual mapping.

That used to be the norm back then, when making games was easier.
Nowadays it's so complex and requieres so many coders that higher ups tend to avoid doing much beyond bug testing since it could interfere with whatever the coders are doing.

Attached: 1548028997755.gif (372x340, 3.84M)

Fuck, Yea Forums.
We got too cocky.

>they do it for free
pathetic

Attached: 1535325895000.png (334x393, 134K)

>primeCheckUgly
You got that right

>That used to be the norm back then, when making games was easier.

But you got it backwards, today any art retard can make a game thanks to game engines. Back in the day you needed a deep knowledge of computers to program a game, no high level programming languages and high technical limitations. Thats why indie shit barely even existed

>today any art retard can make a game thanks to game engines
Sure, you can make a small games, but I'm talking about Triple As.
Triple A development nowadays requieres the team to be a well oiled cog-machine, something hard to do because it's people.
Whenever that cog fails, the game ends up buggy or unfinished, with little time to fix it since game development tends to have a thight schedule unless you are Square Enix.
Not to mention other matters such as not having a clear vision of what you want the game to be, something that happened to Kojima himself with MGSV, and with other games like Mass Effect Andromeda.

I've heard he helps on every level. He works a ton, his stamp of approval is in everything.

look at all those buzzwords, mad as fuck.

Can you explain to someone who can only
>cout

That depends on the scale of the game. Shit like RDR2, DMC5, and other big budget titles need a shitton, and I mean a SHITTON of work because of all their interactivity and the amount of features they have. There's shit like game design(how the game actually works, balancing, innovation, so on), game direction(basically manages the entire dev team, aka the list that will follow this field), concept(which breaks down into character, environment, weapon, vehicle, props, etc) art, technical art(how the game looks, mathematically and visually), 3D/2D art(breaks down into character/weapons/env/weapon/vehicle/props/textures/UVs/lookdev/etc), programming(netcode/logic/parsing/serializing/interactivity/reusability,3D/2D tools, engine, etc), Cutscenes(aka the same jobs listed in making movies), project managing, bug tests, etc(I'm most likely forgetting a ton of more shit). Everything needs to be top-notch. The sheer scale of these projects is autistic. Game dev is fucking hard. That's why most indie games are simple as fuck.
Basically he's checking if every number is prime or not by hardcoding every check.

I'm not a nutcase so I'm afraid I dont have any waifus

>games

he knows how to direct movies i'll give him that but a game developer he is not

>asking MGSfags about game development
>when they don't even know engines include map editors
>when they spent years talking about "Fox Engine gameplay"
>when they started saying Death Stranding ran on the Fox Engine because they had similar lighting and reflections

Attached: 1552846583961.png (665x1000, 1.1M)

>strawman

I'm pretty sure he programmed some games back in the old MSX/NES days. That must account for something since you could only reliably code in assembly back in those days where C isn't there to hold your hand. And it's probably the only "technical" thing he knows and it's all likely rusty af.

Its not so much the difficulty of programming or art as it is the sheer scale that makes AAA harder these days.
Like, you could make MGS1 a lot easier these days but nothing about it would be remarkable to a modern audience

It's a fact MGSfags are consistenly the people who knows the least about game development, and have spent 4 years proving it with their claims about MGSV's development and of DS.
Reminder that the people in the /mgg/ thread in /vg/ unironically acted surprised when they showed that demo of the Fox Engine using a generic map editor and went all
>DUDE LOOK AT HOW FAST MAPS CAN BE MADE THIS IS AMAZING

>Le Executive Ideas guy

Alright Norman we are going to have you defeat the monsters with your poop and pee. To make things seem more authentic I need you to throw your poop and pee at me. Grr Norman i'm an evil monster thats going to kill you and take our baby.

Attached: hideo.jpg (727x484, 46K)

There's a good chance he can program, good designers are aware of limitations of the hardware and the programmers themselves so they don't blow up projects with retarded ideas that can't work.

>Notch
>programmer chad
His code sucked so bad that to this day, Mojang is working hard to undo the mess that is the Minecraft Java codebase. Microsoft even steered clear of Notch's code and rewrote MC from scratch to get it ported to the Xbox and iPhone.

>His code sucked so bad that to this day
Like what? Got any examples?

Nope, no computer skills.
And yes, he was pretty much the "ideas guy" and the "solutions guy", turned mg into a stealth game to compensate the hardware limitations for an action game. In an interview he told that the actual programmers from the mg team more than once yelled at him that he didn't know Jack shit about making video games and that he should kill himself instead of taking the job as a "video game director".

Yea Forums has become so contrarian that most people here don't even seem to know what a game designer is

Attached: 1544604638319.gif (245x200, 1.28M)

ITT: A bunch of kids who have no idea how actual game development works.

10/10

Classic Yea Forums

You're talking about a crowd of people who seriously thought that the MGS3 pachinko cutscenes were running on FOX.

Tim Sweeney was the code monkey, Cliff Bazinga was the epics kojima.

>>when they started saying Death Stranding ran on the Fox Engine because they had similar lighting and reflections
this literally never happened
everyone knew from day 1 that guerilla games gave kojima the source code for their engine, which kojima productions (or the ones that left with kojima) modified, to the point they practically almost copied some features from the old fox engine (mainly the run animations/physics and the zoom in feature. now we know the UI is also extremely similar)
anyway it's hilarious to see autistic Yea Forumstards sperg and flock to the next big thing to shit on kojima. We went from walking simulator to "the game is not fun in the first half", a few more, now this
your tears are delicious. seethe more while you waste your life away, alone and miserable

Why does 'idea guy' hit a nerve with you people? I bet subconsciously you know it means, 'worthless.'

MGS1:

Hideo Kojima - Director / Producer / Writer / Planning / Original Game Design / Setting Design | Conceptual Map Design / Block Model Map Assembly / 2D Map Design / Items/Enemy Route Setting / Camera Setting / Script Director (Script Unit) | Polygon Demo Authoring / Speech Motion Adjustment / Scene Direction (Polygon Demo Unit) | Editing / Digital Effects (Movie Unit) | Conceptual Design/Supervisor (Briefing Unit) | Conceptual Map Design / Adjuster (VR Training Unit) | Title Logo Conceptual Design (Package Unit) | Director (U.S. Version Unit)

Attached: using exalted orbs.jpg (735x622, 96K)

>I bet subconsciously you know it means, 'worthless.'
>what is a meme

cope

Attached: basedkojimbo.jpg (505x680, 95K)

>buzzword
alright

I think he only knows how to eat and shitpost.
So basically he is one of us.

If only Square kept that approach instead of letting artists like Nomura direct games when they're so woefully unequipped for it.

Who are some other overpraised hacks like Kojima and Sakurai?

>been trying to make vidya through my life
>working as software developer now, professional, not quite senior but skills sure are there
>even though i had some good base concepts that were simple enough to become a proper games and not wishful overly complicated story driven bullshit, i've been failing on filling it with interesting levels and whatnot
i wish i could have been an idea guy

I assumed he had some experience with that kind of stuff back when he started in the 80s but I guess not.

Attached: AF915A9F-A96B-4751-AD2C-6D0C1A82E265.png (640x1136, 149K)

No. He cant do anything. Hes an untalented hackjobber. Konami fired him for good reason, and ofc snoy in their eternal retardation hired him, now he can piss away their money so they can go back into debt hell after only recently managing to climb out of there

he‘s really good at making autists seethe and he doesn‘t even try

anime website.

>

>phonepossting unironically

He make game big number

He's like Miyamoto or Aonuma. Figureheads for marketing.

He can program very little bits, but I'm pretty sure that was exclusively for MSX, he had little programming knowledge for anything else.

How many phoneposts are "ironic?"

charge your battery, phoneposter

Attached: mikusteak.webm (390x230, 2.8M)