What killed DayZ and the PVP survival genre?

What killed DayZ and the PVP survival genre?

Attached: dayz.jpg (1919x1080, 293K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/E7j4blOwjzM
youtube.com/watch?v=jwsYnGicJoE
youtube.com/watch?v=JnQ0BAeHzfg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In my opinion what killed DayZ was trying to be overcomplicated. The mod was simplistic but had a good gameplay loop. Which what should have been ported to a standalone game and maybe slightly iterated and built on over the years. Instead what they did was pile on features that no one asked for and bogged down the development trying to fix it all. This slow development killed its playerbase over time. It has recovered some since especially with the implementation of mods but it will never return to its former glory. Sad to see the origin of the survival genre basically kill itself but that's how it is sometimes.

boredom from overexposure and the eventual oversaturation of the genre

DayZ
the mod was fine for what it was, the standalone was and still is hot garbage

People didn't want to bother collecting food when a douche would erase an hour's collceting in one second. People only wanted to kill each other for shidz and giggz. People didn't want retarded meelee npcs to get in the way. Battle royale's are pvp survival. You collect trash, you pvp. Same thing. Nobody wants npcs and piss your pants or starve mechanics.

The whole engine shenanigans is what killed Dayz.
Changes were too hard and took to long so people lost interest in the unfinished giga buggy mess it was for many years.

Why they couldn't take the Arma 3 engine that was somewhat stable is beyond me. They used DayZ to bankroll new engine development, go figure why the game died.

The DayZ mod started off as sort of a social experiment in which the way players interacted was highly varied. Some would kill, some would friend, some would enslave, some would trade. Then it turned into kill-on-sight for 99% of players and that aspect was lost.

Standalone came out and it was a buggy mess. And then they didn't do shit for like 2 years.

As always, the shitty communities and legions of kids. These games always sound fun in concept, but ultimately it devolves into everyone killing each other on sight.

unrealistic design expectations, they wanted some kind of deep survival shit where players interacted heavily with each other, survived for days, struggled and would lead to intense situations full of drama and emotion
instead most people treated it like your typical battle royale shit where you rush for the best gear and then kill each other relentlessly without any attempts to communicate or interact with other players, which also had the side effect of scaring away those who wanted the drama side of shit
so you had a subpar shooting PvP game that the bandits left, and a subpar drama / emotional whatever fag game that those kinds of people also left
not to mention the long as fuck development process, and endless bugs, including being able to see another players exposed skin as a black texture from miles away even through deep fog, and the fact at signicant distances shit like brush and grass would simply not appear and trees would thin out so it was easy to spot and snipe someone no matter how invisible they were from their point of view
and of course shitty servers, exploits and a huge lack of first person only game modes leading to third person corner camping, you either picked public servers which had a risk of finding fully geared bandits server hopping, or you joined private servers and found out it was just a badmin and his shitty friends fighting and rolling back servers when someone killed them, etc
plus the learning curve kept a lot of normies away on top of all of that, and the general anxiety / fear of not knowing if you were being followed, running into danger, or about to be sniped also kept the little kids away too
it was doomed from the start

unironically zoomers who turned it into a coastal deathmatch and pulled the massive player base away to mods that start you off with an AS-50 and free heli

Because mere survival is no fun. There needs to be some goal to work towards. Otherwise there is nothing to do but shoot other players.

What are the zombies like in the current version? I just wanted a scary zombie multiplayer game fighting hordes and running from hordes, bashing some in the back of the head too. The most disheartening thing for me was people server hopping to loot up and knowing every spawn location to become a super soldier. Meanwhile i spent 5 hours getting a can of beans and a baseball cap.

Shooting people unironically killed the game. It was at its peak when everyone was crawlign around like tards through cities because no one had any guns/ammo, beans were rare as fuck, and zombies were hard as nails. Then spergs bitched until Dean added a starting Makarov, and everything became a Quake-speed FPS deathmatch in Cherno and Elektro

NMRiH

>killed dayz
there was a renaissance this year

Attached: D3VK-5VWkAMmwzK.jpg (960x640, 98K)

If they had just used Arma 3 just like old DayZ used Arma 2 it wouldve been leagues better and more complete. Also Bohemia doesn't make most of their money from video games. Most of their cash comes from military contracts.

it was just a stepping stone for what we have as brs now

I don't have DayZ but I hate how all the survival servers in ARMA 3 are like this too. You start with an assault rifle with a holosight to begin with and work your way up to armored vehicles with guided missiles in under an hour. It's fucking retarded. You should get a 9mm pistol, and if you're smart or lucky, you'll maybe find a double barrel shotgun, a low-capacity hunting rifle, or maybe a half-broken hatchback within an hour.

Attached: 1542936955172.jpg (250x250, 6K)

You mean when they released the console versions?

You shouldn't start with anything, which was how Dean Hall wanted DayZ. But zoomers ruined everything, as usual
A shitty, loud as fuck Lee Enfield made you king of Elektro in the early day of the mod

The DayZ mod is still my favorite gaming experiemce to date. Had so much fucking fun and made a bunch of cool friends. Was excited when standalone was announced. I imagined the mod with better graphics, above 15 fps and stairs that didn't break your legs. They didn't need to make it a survival sim. The mod had just the right ammount of making you not want to lose your stuff vs the time it takes to build back up after you do.

console release + modding was added officially ye

youtu.be/E7j4blOwjzM this is as big as you'll get for a "horde" without an admin spawning shit in

Attached: stii.jpg (1030x531, 208K)

Asshole players

>map markers
Amazing how people like this ruined a perfectly good game

they have no zombies lol

Escape from tarkov kinda added them but that game is janky as fuck

enjoy your wasteland without tanks :-)

>ArmA 2 has perfectly good servers that satisfy all those zoomer needs
>decide to ruin a survival zombie mod instead
Why tho

Arma 2 Dayz Mod gameplay loop
>Spawn
>Start collecting shit
>Build cool ass
>Store all your shit and defend it from other clans
>Raid clans bases
>die
>repeat
DayZ gameplay loop
>Spawn
>Walk for like 3 hours until you find a gun
>Now walk for another 3 hours to find ammo for your gun or just go to the military base like everyone else
>Die from thirst and hunger on the way there
>Repeat

>that mod gameplay loop
Imagine unironically outing yourself as someone who only started playing years after the mod came out

This. And for whatever reason the playerbase in these games refuses to do anything but shoot on site
>Decide to try out rust again last night
>Spawn in naked and some guy in a full gear set runs over to me
>Try to have some fun and ask him for a gun
>He pulls out his water pipe and I barely manage to say "Yeah that ones perfect" before he shoots me
>Next hour is spent running around trying to collect stuff to build a house and keep getting killed by people
>I try to talk to them every time but without fail they just ignore me and shoot me
>Even ran up to another naked and asked if he wanted to team up and he immediately attacks me
>Other naked loses the fight and while he's downed I asked him why we couldn't just work together
>"FUCK YOU"
These games are made by the playerbases, and the playerbase is just garbage

I returned to dayz recently and it's gotten a lot better technically. What is shit about it is how fundamentally bad the main gameplay loop is. In the mod things were simpler and the high risk of the gameplay felt good because of the potential rewards like helicopters. In the standalone game the best you will ever get realistically is another gun. I have played maybe 60 hours of it and in that time I saw one fucking car. Why would they add vehicles and make them so fucking rare you never see them. They need like 8 different parts that require you spending about 4 hours scavenging only to make you an easy target for any retard with an M4. It's so badly thought out and it's a shame because there's no other game like it.

epoch baby

The early days of the mod will always be some of my favorite gaming memories with my friends. Starting with literally nothing was great. I remember finally getting my hands on a makarov and a spare mag and feeling like I was starting to stand a chance. Shit was so cool when like 4 or 5 of us would be rooting around for supplies in a town and only one of us would even have a pistol with no more than a few rounds.

It's a shame something like that could never be recreated because no matter what everyone would immediately turn it into the coastal death match wars that the mod eventually became.

Isn't kind of crazy how Arma spawned two of the biggest fad genres ever?
This and battle royal, PUBG was an arma mod

its just that good of a game. someone once described arma as military DnD. i tend to agree.

Ha, yeah it basically is..I was in one of those military groups on 3 for a while which was fun

Epoch was gay, basebuilding has no place in DayZ. Also, the removal of humanity system was gay as well. What infuriates me most is the lack of a fucking bike after all these years, don't give a single fuck about the helicopters but just give me a fucking bike or a motorbike.

I have hope for the Namalsk mod
youtube.com/watch?v=jwsYnGicJoE

Battle Royale killed it. It's that simple.

p.s. both modes are really fun

DayZ mod
>run to closest town
>loot a little bit
>get chased by zombies
>get in the church
>other newbies also come to church
>team up with them
>they kill off the zombies with axes
>about to head out for an expedition with my new allies
>suddenly a bandit shows up with an lee enfield and proceeds to slaughter us all while we run around in the flare lit church
DayZ standalone
>run to closest town
>no one there
>not even zombies
>run into 50 different houses to find 1 can of beans and 800 different colored versions of construction hats and wool jackets
>after a while spot a newbie
>try to have a chat with him
>he doesn't even bother to reply
>he bolts towards me with a shove, hit me twice in the head and knocks me out
>you are dead
>this happens forever and ever
Prefered the mod days.

They suck.
Mystery solved Sherlock.

I think these are correct.

These people are literally idiots.

>why are players killing other players in a multiplayer game people get because they want to kill other players???

Literally fucking STUPID. The entire point of the game is player conflict. The best part of the game was the firefights. The setting and the resources just provided tension and build up to firefights, as well as higher stakes.

What the fuck are you retards even doing in a multiplayer game?

>a-bloo bloo he shoots me instead of roleplaying and killing shitty zombies that warp all over and glitch out and lul beanz

You missed out. Too bad you are such pansies. Go play a MMORPG with all those crackhead nolife nerds

>t. KoS retard epoch player
You're what killed the mod you sperg, go play Rust if you want to own someone epic style and build faggy towers

They threw every thing great about the mod moving towards survival to building militaristic empires out the window and listened to reddit that wanted wet clothes, berry picking, leopard skin hats, and unnecessarily complicated everything and didnt crush enough cans.
youtube.com/watch?v=JnQ0BAeHzfg

Attached: DayZModvsStandalone.png (2518x1024, 681K)

>fuck mods where you can build shit
>I WISH I COULD BUILD SHIT

Where in my post did I say I want to build anything?

Arma 2 Dayz Mod gameplay loop
>choose 1 of 5 diff places to spawn
>each place has different resources and play styles
>fight it out gun raids, battle royale, stealth raids, vehicle battles, full blown tank battles, fight 20 aimbot npcs
>get car and gun
>pick location to build base
>meet up with everyone
>build base
>hunt down other players for resources
>use resources to trade npc for helicopter etc
>hunt more players
>get explosives etc
>raid other base
>burn base down
>steal all their shit
>make your base even more complex
>terrorize everyone in a giant roaming convoy of cool dudes

DayZ gameplay loop
>Spawn
>Walk for like 9 hours until you find nothing and do nothing
>die of starvation
>Repeat

Literally tons of different variations of epoch servers had the ability to either spawn with a bike or create a bike, find a bike, find 300 variations of cars, find working cars, find broken fixable cars, find a toolbox to make a bike, find a bike in any various stage and gather enough supplies to eventually change its gender to an apache helicopter etc

All you have to do is literally pick what flavor of that you want and your problem was solved.
But instead youre being a nigger and complaining about something that literally solved your problem every single possible way you could ever want and calling it shit.

Vehicle repairing has been a thing forever in DayZ you retard. It was in vanilla DayZ mod as well and not only limited to your gay epoch mod. Epoch was gay because you could pull a bike out of your ass. I'm talking about finding a fucking bike in the standalone version which is not possible yet because those lazy hacks haven't added it yet.

Honestly I liked how the zombies worked when they could hear through walls and the night was pitch fucking black and everyone was fucking terrified of making a noise and people would run around screaming in mic and literally stopped pvping because of how fucking terrifying it was and the fear of the zombies was an actual thing not some after thought nuisance.

on the epoch server I used to play on, it took about a week of saving from 4 people playing to buy an apc or a tank.

what a fucking faggot

hes right tho
youre a nigga eatin beans
faking pathetic

Using flares in coastal cities, or really anywhere at besides very specific situations, was a surefire way to get killed by bandit players.
The only time I've seen them used effectively was when myself and a friend were laying in a forest picking off members of another team at night and they threw a flare in our direction. It still wasn't effective enough to save them though, just enough that we had to hide and let our other group mop them up.

one of the best but essetial parts of what made dayz a phenomenon was arma2 weapon ballistics , let me just strip all that down and give you a nigger shotgun and go climb everest. FUCK YOU.

Attached: DayZ_61.jpg (1280x800, 88K)

dayz namalsks servers were lit

Attached: 8Olsa.jpg (1296x1728, 132K)

>chad calves
DayZ made me wonder: why are bikes non-existent in post-apoc media? It's literally the ideal form of transport
>silent
>dead reliable
>needs no fuel
>thrice as fast as walking
If you can't fit all your gear on your back, you're carrying too much

Attached: akemi.jpg (687x545, 245K)

And you're a dumb nigger hocking wannabe-pavement-ape niggerbabel on a mongolian basketweaving board 'tho'

>call the game DayZombie
>Zombies are shit to where people HAVE to PvP to have fun
What did user mean by this?

Because bikes aren't seen as badass

I miss it

>tfw you will never experience being hunted by bloodsuckers and getting fucked by the blowout for the first time again

That and magnets for zombies or snipers. Just because they're "silent" doesn't mean folks wouldn't see you with long sight-lines.

Also unless you're using a mountain bike or modified the bike to go off-road, they suck ass on dirt.