How come there aren't so many cartoon based video games nowadays? The 90's and 2000's used to be filled with them

How come there aren't so many cartoon based video games nowadays? The 90's and 2000's used to be filled with them

Attached: Bugs+Bunny+-+Lost+in+Time+(USA)+(En,Fr,Es)-image.jpg (420x360, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dRypqt9R3K8?t=14441
youtube.com/watch?v=i4tNuM9XttM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_the_Jeep
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are there even cartoons nowadays?

Easily top 10 comfiest games of all time.
youtu.be/dRypqt9R3K8?t=14441
Ranks up there with Spyro 2.

There aren't hundreds of movie tie-ins either, it looks like the movie/tv industry learned for the better

Theyre on mobile now

Borderlands released this week.

Yes, here is Cartoon Network's lineup

Attached: 1568649920787.jpg (2400x1350, 874K)

Because cartoons aren't good anymore.

That game was the shit, thanks for reminding me of it OP.

How the FUCK is total drama island still getting rehashed?

Never had cartoon network. But have to say none of those look like anyone would like to play average video game of

Cash-cow franchise

OP's game is nice

BUT

this one's superior

Attached: timebusters.jpg (220x220, 16K)

Video games are very expensive to make, while cartoons you can just shit out to sell toys

it's co-op shit. cool if you've someone to play with. but singleplayer is kind of lame. have to change between characters sometimes. not a big problem but still annoying. it's not like either those games are some sort of masterpieces

no cartoon today have toys

Do zoomers even know who Looney Tunes are?

i've no idea. has it been a thing in the past 20 years?

Yes

Using cartoons as a platform to sell toys has been illegal for quite some time.

mostly on over expensive brands and cholo clothing but yes

Licensed games died in general. They not only garnered a reputation for being shovelware (which was correct, but not quite as often as people thought; I'd say 80% of licensed console/PC games were straight shovelware while most people assumed ~98%) but they were just plain moved over the mobile, which is much, MUCH easier to develop for and sustain revenue with.

Speaking of OP's picture, I'm reminded that Looney Tunes has a fucking mobile RPG. It has fucking combat as the focus. That's what licensed games are now the vast majority of the time.

I clicked on this prepared to point out what shows were actually good on it, but christ, We Bare Bears is the only one and even that has its fair share of mediocrity. Craig of the Creek is the most 6/10 show I've ever seen, it's not bad but there's nothing exceptional about it. I forgot that OKKO ended; that show was on WBB's level where it wasn't always good but I do think when it was good it was worthwhile.

Total Dramarama makes me physically ill on concept alone. Following up the best show in that franchise up with this garbage is painful.

Attached: 1483203603483.jpg (647x622, 18K)

Is it me or do they all have almost the same shitty artstyle?

There was The Looney Tunes Show, which was a sitcom that used the characters. That SOUNDS awful, but it was actually really well-written and funny; Lola was made way more interesting and the very few OCs were likable. Then there was Wabbit, an attempt to make slapstick-focused Bugs cartoons again, but the artstyle was weird, the writing was flat, and the cast was Bugs, Sam, and a dozen OCs that all sucked.

There's a new set of Looney Tunes shorts coming out soonish that seem to respect the style of the originals a lot more, but I haven't seen much of them. The character designs are a lot goofier, evoking some of their earlier incarnations (Porky is a lot more "circular", Daffy looks like his early shorts and acts like it, etc.)

They kinda do, it's been like this throughout this decade

What would video games be like today had Miyamoto made the Popeye game he wanted instead of Donkey Kong?

Attached: Let's Get Movin # 36 July 24, 1936.webm (484x360, 1.29M)

We did. It wasn't exactly a new show when millenials were kids.

It's called Cal-Arts Artstyle and it's designed to be lazily rehashable on flash-like programs in the same way Hanna Barbera would rehash stills and components.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 147K)

What's really crazy to think about is that Cuphead proved that you could now make a Popeye game that looks exactly like that.

They have phone shit apps now

Buggs bunny was a surprisingly good licenced game, with some nice art, level design, cutscenes etc
Ruined by back tracking, and super small draw distance on PS1 version, and some really shit levels like the carrot factory

They would probably have designed Mario regardless. There were more games between DK and Mario Bros.

Why is everything fucking hideous?

It's true, but Cuphead took seven years, imagine how long it would take to make a Popeye game with a similar method and with far more complex abilities the player could do than just run and gun

Attached: Popeye The Sailor Man-Episode No.061 (Plumbing Is A 'Pipe')(1938).webm (484x360, 2.77M)

>Off model Dipper
Kill yourself retard

I remember playing it,always hated how the more you'd advance the shittier the levels would get.
Also didn't you needed all the stupid clocks to get the real ending?
Fuck that.

Looks like the industry was always following the trends, it's just that trends in the past were in line with our interests and nowadays popular themes are not really pleasant.

True. I doubt we'll ever see other games done like Cuphead outside of maybe a Cuphead sequel. It's just too impractical and costly when other less authentic looking but far cheaper and faster methods to achieve what you want are available.

Total Dramarama is pretty comfy actually. Fun show. I would not mind if it replaces fucking Teen titan go.

Why is Jude from Sixteen in a Total Drama show?

Remember that Popeye movie by Genndy Tartovsky (Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack) that Snoy cancelled for the Emoji movie?

youtube.com/watch?v=i4tNuM9XttM

What a fucking shame, Popeye could have been relevant again after all these decades.

user, it's writing is garbage at a fundamental level.

Because mobile gaming happened. There are lots and lots of shitty microtransation loaded p2w mobile games based on cartoons.

Attached: looney-tunes-world-of-mayhem-post[1].jpg (1000x600, 201K)

>CGI

Thank God they cancelled it.

Way too cuddly and inoffensive looking, a 'cute' Popeye is kinda pointless

Attached: Can You Take It_ # 9 April 27, 1934.webm (504x360, 1.91M)

I don't know. Aren't cartoon characters supposed to look cute?

2D animation is hard

Honestly, this looked like it'd be comedy gold.

6teen and Total Drama were created by the same two people.

>Wanted to hate Summer camp island because the art is shit
>Ends up being a pretty comfy show
>Start liking the art.
>Start liking the cutie creator.

Attached: 1566944043195.png (939x432, 618K)

As far as I remember, the movie was meant to be a younger Popeye before he joined the Navy. I could be remembering wrong and be going off of how his hair looks though.

Ridonculous Race > 6teen > TDI > Everything else > TD Action > All-Stars (IIRC that was the notably bad Total Drama season) >>>>> dog shit >>>>> Total Dramarama

>Off model
But he looks like that in GF.

>Remember that Popeye movie by Genndy Tartovsky (Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack) that Snoy cancelled for the Emoji movie?

That was a rumor that Tartovsky confirmed not to be true. He's no longer directing it (he left to do his own original movie called "Can You Imagine?") but the Popeye film is still in development.

>Never smiled like that in the show
>No red tint on nose
>No eye wrinkles

Attached: EEaQvm_U0AAv85r.jpg (234x424, 20K)

What’s with the great gazoo thing?

Move aside.

Attached: Looney Tunes_ Sheep Raider-01.jpg (600x589, 92K)

What went wrong with CN? Their older shows used to be much better than this shit

Attached: 1540179378036.jpg (1000x1294, 408K)

Gravity Falls is actually one of the only decent cartoons of the 2010s. Of course it had to end after two seasons.

>that fucking pirate level

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_the_Jeep

Taz Wanted was better

Look at that fucking legendary idle animation.

my nigger

The fact that Mina and the Count got six pilots but was never picked up is a crime.

This image alone should tell you why there aren't any Yea Forums videogames worth trying.

It was actually considered as a middle segment for Dexter's Lab, but they instead went with Justice Friends. After that, there was interest from ABC for their Saturday Morning lineup.Then Disney bought ABC who weren't interested.

Better then Steven Cuckiverse

Voltron would be based

A Looney Tunes RPG sounds pretty fucking neat, wish it was on consoles

Surprised nobody ever thought of making a slapstick-styled RPG, with anvils, pies, lasers, painting on wall abilities etc...

>but they instead went with Justice Friends.
It was a mistake, honestly. As cute as Genndy's parodies were, the actual episodes kinda blew and it was redundant when Monkey covered a lot of the same ground.

And then we got MLAATR, which was a far weaker concept that got some really *awful* writers on it.

actually, season 5 killed the show, that's just a spin-off

Ridonculous Race was better than any Total Drama series. The fact that they got it so right and then went "dude muppet babies ripoff at the tail-end of the fucking 2010s lmao" stumps me.

There's Toontown, though that's an MMO.

Dunno, JF makes more sense considering that Major Glory was an established character in Dexter and his favorite superhero. Stuff like vampires and monsters would feel out of place in a sci-fi comedy like Dexter

what a pity

Isn't that kinda the point, though? That it's a different kind of thing altogether? Kinda like how Grim & Evil functioned.

...Then again, Evil Con Carne didn't really catch on at all, did it?

There still are some but I guess they're mostly relegated to mobile and sometimes handhelds. The era of PS1/Megadrive/SNES licensed games and all of the Flash games has passed.
But on the note of recent ones, is Save the Light worth playing? Was kinda surprised to see it on Steam.

>Daffy looks like his early shorts and acts like it, etc
I know hardcore cartoon fans prefer early wacky Daffy to later arrogant Daffy, and I can accept that early Daffy is much better than early Bugs, but I think his later personality ended up a lot more versatile for all sorts of comedic setups.

The other middle segments like Jungle Boy and I am Weasel were a part of the same universe alongside the main show and were frequently in episodes. It made more since there since Johnny Bravo already had talking animals.

Dexter had shit to do with horror, so habing monsters is weird