It’s not even bad but the fact it has no new additions besides a crappy dungeon maker and has framerate issues on...

It’s not even bad but the fact it has no new additions besides a crappy dungeon maker and has framerate issues on handheld is disappointing. It could’ve been so much more, at least it’s still good at its core because it’s Link’s Awakening.

Attached: 2BDDA48D-D224-4040-A3C9-890AB1EC8A00.jpg (1000x1000, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-fjYsHfPfe0
youtu.be/hpFQrTrHGXg
youtu.be/fwmVfnCyry0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't regret it being made or owning it, but the only way I can justify the price tag is because I'm a slave to my own nostalgia. If the Captain Toad port could release for $40 on Switch then so could this.

This, people saying it’s awful are wrong but it is disappointing.

>trying to justify a $60 dollar purchase
THE STATE OF NINTENDIES

It’s just bad

fps issues in docked as well

I waited to see you’re reactions glad I did I’ll wait for it to be half off.

odds of a digital sale on black friday?

OMG ITS JUST LIKE MY FUNKO POP

Attached: funkolink.jpg (853x419, 179K)

Aren't these "FPS issues" just a minor stutter when entering a new zone?

5-6 seconds of locked 30fps every area transition is pretty offputting. Even in dungeons it occurs, so their method of streaming in assets isn't as efficient as it could be.

it would be minor if the game was as ambitious as botw or looked state of the art. It doesn't either way

youtu.be/-fjYsHfPfe0

Extremly noticeable frame drop occurs at 3:21 (watch from at least 3:15 to get a sense of its regular performance).

It's not unplayable, but it's certainly noticeable. It also happens anytime an area gets loaded into ram, not when going to "new areas". So it can sometimes occur when just running across town. Luckily it doesn't generally occur in dungeons, but it does happen in overworld caves. Outside of dungeons, you'll probably experience slowdown once every 3-5 minutes for about 10 seconds. How annoying it is depend son the person (Bullet Hell fans and old school platformer players may not care, but action game fans and fans of Link's previous games will be put off).

It happens, it's annoying, it doesn't entirely ruin anything, but it didn't need to be there.

The game feels like a very half baked cash in. Did Nintendo even develop it?

So, is it best to play docked or not ?

Outsourced, but it doesn't come off as halfbaked here aside from the pricetag being twice what it should.

>you're

Now I know how Majora's Mask fags feel about their remake lacking soul.
But this game is annoyingly trying to be retro while being shiny and flashy. Not at all what I had in mind for a Link's Awakening remake. It has such a beautiful story, and in this remake it's treated like a joke.

A "minor stutter" would be fine, it would be no different than when loading the next screen in the original game.

The FPS issues are the game running at half frame rate (or less, sometimes down to fucking 20fps) while still controlling Link for up to 10 seconds, whenever the game decides it needs to load in new content (not just area transitions, sometimes just walking across town or the graveyard will do it, and it occurs frequently in dungeons a few rooms after using a ladder).

All they had to do was not introduce a flaw that wasn't there, and it would have been perfect. Instead, they got rid of the photographer for a shitty "Zelda Template Maker", and they introduced a fuck ton of slow down.

How does Grezzp knock it out of the park with OoT 3D, and they fuck up everything else?

Makes no difference on the performance since it's a CPU bottleneck problem (which retains same clock frequency in both modes). All docked does is offer a higher max/minimum resolution vs. handheld.

I mean... which is better, a lower framerate every few minutes, or constant screen transitions like in the original?

My biggest problem is the lack of any new content, it’s too similar to the original

i thought it was great. 40 bucks would have been more appropriate but whatever.

The latter

If you say so. I'll take the intermittent lower framerate, I always hated screen transitions in Zelda games.

Grezzo did it without the source code. Same dudes who made OoT3D and MM3D (though Aonuma had direct input on the changes Grezzo made for MM3D, so that wasn't their fault).

Docked, and loaded from internal memory. Still causes slowdown, but not as bad.

>It has such a beautiful story, and in this remake it's treated like a joke.
I think they did a decent job of updating most things, the control scheme, the mini games, while still keeping certain old school items that don't hamper the game like the 8 directional control instead of 360. They definitely fucked up the slowdown, and the art style is not to everyone's taste, but there's no differences in the story or the writing anywhere, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

>How does Grezzp knock it out of the park with OoT 3D, and they fuck up everything else?
Porting a game and making improvements along the way vs. remaking one from scratch on UE4 which isn't the most friendly of engines for handheld hardware.

It's honestly more obvious than I was expecting. It by no means ruins the game, anyone who says it does is a baby, but it's still odd to me they were so dead set on having it be 60fps, even when it only reaches that framerate like half the time. I would've preferred a stable 30, but oh well. I'm still having a lot of fun with it.

>can't burn dogs and chickens to death anymore

I mean... I get the ESRB is probably a lot more strict nowadays. But c'mon man...

Attached: paddlepop.png (777x615, 285K)

Unironically screen transitions. The lower frame rate can fuck you over while you're playing, as it can directly interfere with your controls, and it's entirely unpredictable so it aggravates you.

Screen transitions remove control from Link and freeze frames the world, so you can't accidently jump into a pit or miss blocking an enemy's shot. It's also entirely predictable, and after a while your brain will actually tune it out and essentially classify it as background noise since it's a repeatable and predictable pattern, and you won't notice it.

Honestly, it would have been better if they had just made the loaded area bigger, and use screen transitions when going to new areas, such as all of the town's being loaded, but using a transition when leaving them.

>It’s not even bad

short game
literally no cinematic cutscenes
2d style stuck in the past, not full 3d like a proper title

yeah, I'm thinkin' this will drop to $20 in a month

Lower framerate is better than transitions.

UNLESS the frame rate lowers inconsistently, in which case transitions are world's better. Which is what happens in Link's Awakening.

Inconsistent performance is the absolute worst, since it can actively cause control issues.

Zoomer

>it doesn't need to have a good artstyle
>it doesn't need to not be 60 dollars
>it doesn't need to have any extra content
>it doesn't need to be longer than 4 hours to beat
it doesn't need to be a good game
>it doesn't need to have any replayability

Attached: 1568877505189.jpg (690x720, 77K)

Wait this shit is real? I thought Funko Link was just a shitpost meme but holy fuck it's an actual game

What were they thinking?

umm...
er...
...cope!

>Ambitious
>Remake of a Game Boy Color game.

Pick 1

in this current age of companies digging through their entire catalogue to snatch up the rights to old games from the 90's that sold well there is nothing ambitious about it at all. It's the status quo.

>>it doesn't need to have a good artstyle
you're right it doesn't need to but it does
is this the current meme trend or just a coincidence?

i wasnt planning on getting this but is it really only 4 hours? isnt the original version of this game a time sink?

The framerate problems are really obnoxious and I can't believe I can't use the d-pad. For $60 it should have been better. It's still fun, but I mean goddamn.

No it’s very short too

It looks like an amateur game dev project modeled in blender and made in unity by a teenager who watched a few tutorials on youtube.

The artstyle itself is fine, but the market is flooded with the same artstyle which cheapens the product and makes it look low effort/bad

>isnt the original version of this game a time sink?
no

>isnt the original version of this game a time sink?
Where did you even get that idea?
Original game is like 6 hours at most. With all the QoL shit in this remake it's like 4 hours long.

>The artstyle is fine
>Unless everyone else is doing it, then it's shit

I never played any zelda games but from what ive seen from BOTW and some OoT the Zelda games looked like they took a while to beat

>but the market is flooded with the same artstyle

Which games? What constitutes a "flood"? I'd love to know, cause I fucking love this style.

yea and this is a gameboy color game, not a n64 or a switch game

Those do take a bit of time. Link’s awakening was a game boy game originally released in 93, It’s pretty short

2D Zelda is a different beast than 3D ones, plus this was a game boy game back in the day, so it was made to be smaller/shorter by design

oversaturation cheapens everything, including aesthetic. to use a shitty food analogy the prettiest and best looking burger is still just a burger.

You could always try playing the far superior game that should have been more successful, if you're bored.

Attached: 1553386009627.jpg (917x663, 113K)

Just add pauses for screen transitions and get the loading out of the way temporary boost-mode engaging. It wouldn't be out of place given basically all the 2d Zeldas did this anyways.

It honestly just looks like you're bitching for the sake of it, cause I can't find any other recent games with anything close to this artstyle.

The dithering is fucking stupid though.

You didn't read the thread. No one's talking about LttP.

But,

Link's Awakening >= Terranigma > Illusions of Gaia > Link to he Past.

No it was made by a studio founded by the guy that worked on the Mana series

Fortnite, spyro remake, crash remake, ratchet and clank remake, hat in time to name a few. I really want to get out of this bright and colorful crayon vomit looking era of games.

locked 30fps

This is not Link to the Past moron

>it's not fair, this game should have been more successful
Stop doing this shit, it makes you sound desperate and unironically like a pink wojack.

Captain Toad should have been $30, they barely changed anything

Point me in the direction of everything I need to emulate this.

>Fortnite, spyro remake, crash remake, ratchet and clank remake, hat in time

Do you seriously think color = artstyle?

Given LttP is better than LA, I would agree IoG is better than both.

What do you want games to look like? This art-style suits all those games you listed incredibly well.

Terranigma is better than both. I bet you never even played it

youtu.be/hpFQrTrHGXg

Attached: hq2geHF.jpg (480x247, 12K)

This, man. I thought for sure I was going to buy the game because I assumed it would be $40. But $60 is a hard pill to swallow to buy a remake of a game I already own

It's a little weird but I like it and wish that there was a full version.

Does this version still have the thing where the ending is different if you never die. I got careless and died a few times while screwing around.

grezzo developed it. That's why there's so many issues.

>Does this version still have the thing where the ending is different if you never die
Yes.

>LttP > LA

Holy fuck do you eat shit for every meal or just breakfast?

right: soul
left: homunculus abortion

same dev who made ocarina and majora for 3ds

Is it actually a real difference or is it a bird in the credits like it was on Game Boy?

Does that count if you die with Crazy Tracy's thing

no, nor does it count with fairies.

Why is the screen look like it is smeared with Vaseline when I play it?

If the crash and spyro TRILOGIES are 40$ what excuse does Zelda have?

Imagine being autistic enough that you think these two things look even remotely similar

It's bird in the credits.
And also the ending as a whole is much better in the original. Remake's is half assed

For some reason fairies in this game don't actually revive you like I thought they would. Hence one of the game overs. The other was me trying to do the Dream Palace without the Pegasus Boots.

Because it's ok when Nintendo does it.

they all share the same principles of design, such as of basic shapes > complicated shapes, similar lighting, similar values, same colors. If you lined up all these games in a row to somebody who never played videogames he would think they're all the same.

Nintendo fags would eat everything Nintendo shits.

Link's Awakening was the first game I ever beat as a kid, and it severely disappoints me that this is what we're getting. I would've been fine if it was a Link Between Worlds situation, where it's not an actual remake, but simply a sequel/inspired by.

Honestly though, I feel like even talking about this game on release is useless, cause there are those innate fans who have a kneejerk reaction praising it to high heaven.

It would have been better if it wasn't a fucking overhead 2D game. When people think remakes you think improvements to make the game better not maintain the stupid archaic old mechanics. This is just as bad as Metal Gear Twin Snakes which stupidly didn't make any actual improvements outside of the graphics. Though even at this Link's Awakening fails because the graphics are bad. The Switch is strong enough to do visuals similar to the old artwork for this game and they chose a shitty plastic looking art style that's similar to the Charlie Brown and Snoopy cartoons. Fuck Nintendo and their infantile shit. What's next? They'll remake Ocarina of Time but they'll keep it a secret that it will look like Toon Style? Fuck Nintendo, they're bastards enough to try to do something like that.

I didn't even buy it and I feel ripped off.

nigger none of those games look even remotely similar, closest thing would be assets from crash and spyro

just imagine all the LA link funko pops rotting in a landfill in mexico 10 years from now

Attached: 1550490939176.jpg (1080x1080, 75K)

hello fellow edgy gamer

Attached: 1479270581831.jpg (285x327, 20K)

youtu.be/fwmVfnCyry0

This. I can't believe Link Between Worlds has more content than a switch remake.
What a half assed excuse for a remake.

I don't even know what you mean by that.

oh shit ifucked it up

meant for

At the least they could have offered a remixed version of the world layout with different dungeon designs for veterans, but I doubt the levels were contstructed in a manner that's friendly to changing 'tiles' about.

>game 25 years ago didn't have framerate issues
>remake 25 years later has framerate issues
No fucking excuse. Combine that with 8 directional movement and NO dpad control, this game is unplayable compared to the dx version. Fuck john linneman for fellating it so much.

Yeah John those environmental transitions would be cool if they didn't cause a double buffered vsync framerate drop every single fucking time they happened jesus christ

you're a retard if you think stylistic trends don't exist.

It's hard to point to where exactly they're all getting it from other than a gross misinterpretation of spritework and low poly 3D models and using a color picker on screenshots from older games.

Love how much vee seethes over this game

Terranigma has good gameplay but not much else. Gaia is the total package.

I get it, there can be value in not messing with a good thing and ruining it, but 60 bucks holy fuck. This would've been an instant buy at 20, probably even 30.

Not true at all, seems like you really didn't play it

How's all that shit you're shoveling in your face taste?

I'm a huge fan of the original (no, not the DX one) and I really wouldn't want this game for more than 15 or 20$.
Unless you've never played the game before, I don't understand the interest. The layout is the same. The dungeons are the same. The gameplay, movement, puzzles are all the same. Even the tall grass spots you can cut are at the exact same place down to every last one.
The game was good, but I was 14, and twenty-some years later, I expect something else than gameboy-era mecanics in a 60$ game.

Thank you, user!

Your vision or cognitive abilities must be impaired in some way if you don't see any similarities between the two styles.

Won't the lag be patched out? YouTube videos been telling me they're memory leak issues.

Attached: linkle_inquisitive.webm (480x700, 3M)

Youtubers who don't know what the fuck they're talking about. It's just CPU-bound problems which hopefully the devs are given time post-launch to mitigate more.

I pirated it lol

Attached: free switch games.jpg (950x534, 26K)

Nah Captain Toad was worth the money and was somewhat recent. This is a gameboy game with new graphics for 20 dollars more.

Very unlikely. Grezzo doesn't generally make patches for their games unless they're actually game progression halting.

Captain Toad is just a port with a few extra levels.

Link's Awakening is a straight up remake from the ground up.

One of these required a LOT more work than the other.

That said, I'd rather a new game or a significant amount of new content.