What is the best 2D platformer ever made?

What is the best 2D platformer ever made?

Attached: Dustforce.webm (640x360, 2.79M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ch1cgDcT3cY
youtube.com/watch?v=KAUZ0yQlQi0
youtube.com/watch?v=oa3N4SA48uo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sotn

original rayman

Super Mario World

A mountains? A sky. A windmill!

Attached: yg.png (635x632, 397K)

Super Metroid

Only 2D platformer I can keep playing four hours straight until I beat it.

Why does this shit looks like it's running at 20 fps?
How can you play like this?

Super Mario Maker 2.

If that doesn't count, SM3.

Honorable mentions go to MM9 and DKC2.

Yoshi Island.
1983 still the best.

Tekken 7

NO!

hands down, 1001 spikes, a pure skill-based platformer
yoshi's island is great, but 60% of the gameplay is throwing eggs

Origins / Legends

Attached: bubble_rayman_attaque.png (402x271, 104K)

DKC2

Follow-up question: what is the worst 2D platformer ever made?

Attached: AEDB273E-76CD-4E2C-9688-657C6705A4E5.jpg (400x300, 151K)

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Crimson Needle 3

Attached: 1549585839150.png (800x608, 796K)

Never heard of this, but I just looked up gameplay footage and it looks ludo as fuck.

They all fucking suck. Only lazy idiots make games that aren't in 3D.

Super Mario World
or
Super Mario 3
or
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

the thing is, they tried to remarket the game as a multiplayer brawl type of game...
they added the mode, and started shilling that
actually, it is a viciously hard platformer, with plenty of unfair traps, 2 different jump buttons, and infinite lifes
I can't recommend it enough

Any Donkey Kong Country, Rayman Origins/Legends

Umihara Kawase

Attached: Umihara Kawase Fresh 4.webm (960x540, 2.79M)

Tower of Heaven.

Metroid Zero Mission.

Attached: YoshiIslandBox.jpg (640x449, 81K)

DKC > Super Mario > Kirby > Metroid
As far as Nintendo platformers go

Nintendo don't develop either Kirby or DKC.

what is this soulless shit

Attached: Umihara Kawase Fresh 3.webm (1280x720, 2.19M)

For me, it's I Wanna Be The Boshy

Nice moves there.

Your lack of taste shocks me.

i genuinely enjoy Mr Gimmick the most
youtube.com/watch?v=ch1cgDcT3cY

youtube.com/watch?v=KAUZ0yQlQi0

>1001 spikes
I played this when it came out and you're full of shit. there's nothing skill-based about trial and error, which is all that game is. you snail your way through the stage and memorize all the ways you're going to be ambushed by falling blocks and invisible spikes. it's anti-skill if anything because it punishes you for relying on your reflexes instead of your memory.

did you finished the entire game, including antartica?
years ago I remember I discussed the game here, and some dude said exactly what you are saying, and I keep wondering what is a game other than trial and error
if you don't have the skills to finish the stage in one sitting, it doesn't mean the game is cheap because there are traps
the ground spikes have a sound queue

There's a lot of people here that get really fucking upset about traps for some reason. There is literally nothing wrong with having to learn a level.
Although I disagree with you on it being the best 2D platformer I thought it was a nice game and the traps added to it.

this guy gets it

do you see the filesize? He probably lowered it to make it that long

I judge 2D platformers on how the jump feels. There has to be a feeling of weight to the character, and a sense of control over the jump that lets the player assert their will into the game. N++ is a good example of a game allowing depth of expression through simple controls (three buttons), although i prefer the overall structure of SMB3, with easier and longer levels.

I'm looking forward to this one too.
youtube.com/watch?v=oa3N4SA48uo

Attached: n.jpg (225x225, 5K)

Boring, obvious choice, but I agree.

18+ site, fellas.

Looks like a combination of Mario and Adventure Island, I'm interested.

i think the idea is not that everyone can clear a stage first try. More that a theoretical player who is already skilled in the game would be able to first clear it.
There is a difference between dying on a level because you are still not skilled enough which you counteract by getting more precise and dying on a level because you got killed out of nowhere and couldn't anticipate it.
I mean look at Super Meat Boy. You might die pretty often, but it is clear which general path you are supposed to take. You still need to figure out which sequence of actions works best, but there is no ambiguity about what is safe and what can kill you.
But i respect people who like trial and error gameplay and there is still an audience for this kind of game, otherwise "Unfair Platformer" games wouldn't pop up again every now and then.

I've seen smaller clips of this game. It looks polished and pretty fun, but its still kinda weird how the main character is a human constantly rolling and not some kind of animal where rolling would be more natural. I guess there are things more weird in gaming, but still.