Steam should let users resell games, French court rules

YES PLEASE
FUCKING BASED

RUSSIAN TRADE ABUSERS MADE VALVE REGION LOCK ALL THEIR GAMES

AUSTRALIANS MADE STEAM BEND OVER BACKWARDS AND GAVE US AUTOMATIC REFUNDS

FRENCHIES GOING TO GIVE US THE ABILITY TO SELL ALL THOSE SHITTY HUMBLE BUNDLE GAMES

Attached: DPDTQ8Q.png (813x790, 552K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dailyesports.gg/mobile-esports-games-grossed-over-15-billion-in-2018/
screenrant.com/steam-indie-sales-down-70-percent-report/
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-08-take-two-wants-recurrent-consumer-spending-from-every-title-wont-always-be-microtransactions
tcrf.net/Alien_Breed_(Amiga)
en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20100113009600315
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Cache
zdnet.com/article/oracle-cannot-block-the-resale-of-its-software-in-europe/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaustion_of_intellectual_property_rights
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license_agreement#Shrink-wrap_and_click-wrap_licenses
pcworld.com/article/2058460/sap-cant-restrict-software-resales-german-court-rules.html
heavy.com/games/2017/10/studios-ea-has-killed-visceral-games/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>FRENCHIES GOING TO GIVE US THE ABILITY TO SELL ALL THOSE SHITTY HUMBLE BUNDLE GAMES
Who do you expect would be buying them?

Attached: 1303397923196.jpg (854x480, 47K)

french courts suck

France isn't a nation, it's ruled by the EU so what they say means nothing.

> Be European
> Agree to deal
> WHAT THE FUCK HOW COULD I BE EXPECTED TO MAKE A CONSCIOUS JUDGMENT WHAT THE FUCK GOVERNMENT HELP ME I'M FUCKING STUPID I ENTER DEALS I CAN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND I NEED TO COOOOOM

I imagine it wouldnt be too hard (relatively) to make it possible to sell your games on the steam market.

They'd stop selling games in france before they start letting you sell all your library.

tab back gaben

Nothing will happen.

i, too, am very smart user

Based - fuck Steam

>should let
so, it's a suggestion rather than an order?

Be honest would you even sell anything? I hate giving my stuff away.

Developers get fucked, Steam will just take its share from resold game.

BASED
And when Steam is forced to do this, every other digital distributor will have to follow too, which means I can finally get some value out of that shitty Uplay account full of games I got for free/cheap.

This is actually a terrible idea. Right now there is no incentive to hack someone's Steam, as there is no way to mass transfer value out of the account. If they implement a game marketplace, however, suddenly there will be a reason to steal and trade Steam log in data.

Of course the french would be advocating for more gay sex

Do developers get fucked by used games on consoles?
Are you retarded?

Good thing that there's that thing called steam guard which anyone with iq above 100 has enabled. If retards lose their accounts thats great desu.

>Right now there is no incentive to hack someone's Steam
Did you miss the memo where there's csgo and dota 2 items worth more than entire game library's

aw yeah baybee, soon I can sell all those early Epic games I got for free to people who missed out

>it just prints money
Thanks, Tim!

Why are you all against it?
Isn't actually owning games a good thing?

This is the biggest monkey's paw in all of video game history.

Enjoy all your future games being about consumable "boosts" and other stupid things.

>future games
user I...

Why do you assume this will only affect Steam? Pretty will set precedent for every digital storefront. And it will probably backfire by either causing companies to pull out of France or, if this catches on in other parts of the world, it will push more companies towards subscription fees and microtransactions rather than just selling games for a fixed price. This ruling will only benefit customers in the short term.

Yes I'm, didn't think that resold game has been purchased before, so developers already got their money when game was purchased.

Even worse than now

Based france.
I want to sell all my steam games and stop using it.

You can't resell something you don't own.

This. If companies start losing money due to resales of the original "game" they'll just start tacking on DLC or constant micropayments to make up for the loss of revenue. Sure Street Fighter 7 is only $5 but you have to pay $1.99 every time you play a match. New Monster Hunter charges guild fees in real life currency. This shit is retarded and the frogs are going to ruin it for everybody.

There will be in practice no way for anyone to verify if resold games are legit licenses.

Russians start selling pirated copies in a new legal gray zone thanks to the frogs. LMAO, illegal copies? No no no, you got proofs? No haha didn't think so

GAMING IS FINISHED.

From what I understand, this would make legal to sell accounts with games on them. Nothing else.

Attached: 1568761705251.jpg (1080x1788, 371K)

Based I can sell games to buy more csgo skins

Zoomers love being slaves to corporations.

This is probably the most reasonable interpretation but let's be alarmist instead.

There's really no need to worry to begin with, Ubisoft is French and they'll pay off people to never let this pass in their home country. They will NEVER let people resell their games on Steam.

And this is just while people are fixed on:
>Steam alone (IQ: Nigeria-tier)
>Realizing it will affect all PC launchers including Steam, Uplay, Epic Games Store (IQ: 100)
>Realizing this is about digital product resale at its core, which means PC launchers, All consoles, Apple Store, Android store, Microsoft Store, Microsoft Windows, Adobe products, etc. (IQ: Finally an acceptable number)

It will -never- happen.

>user sales his games on steam
>price his games one or two dollars off regular price
>developers see this
>hey where is our cut
>valve see that user is selling his games on steam
>yeah we gonna need about 30% cut too
>user end up selling the game and make only $2.50 back
I guess it better then nothing

You'd also get people to sell off their Steam accounts and rebuy stuff on Epic so they'd have everything in one place. It'd be a terrible idea to implement.

>Hey Gabe I want to sell this one game
>You can't! Only whole account!
>Whatever, I'll wait you in the court
Valve will lose this battle like they lost current one and previous about refunds. If anything people should be happy about it, no idea why imbeciles (probably americans) are crying about it.

its worse than that, it means all store fronts with valuable products will move exclusively to subscription-based services and never sell you "permanent access"

>Access to Assassin's Creed 48 is included if you sign up for a 6-month subscription plan.
>Don't forget to sign up for our DLC service as well. Activate all DLC available for your games subscription content for $18/month!

These systems are already partially in-place as well. (Ubisoft Access, Microsoft subscription, etc).

It will if all of the EU backs it.
Tick tock Americuck, your corporate masters will be forced to put the consumer first.
>B-but they'll make it all subscription-based
And we'll ban that too, get dabbed on.

Just wait until the eu Copyright lobby realizes that this also enables us to resell all our movies and music and news articles and books and so on.

You can't sell the game because you are purchasing a license to play it, and there's no way to sell it. Retards itt believe a court could obligue valve to create a g2a inside steam, which is abysmally stupid
Accounts are a different story, because you can do whatever with your credentials
But if you resell your account they can block it because of the tos they have in place
With this shit it would be legal in baguette land and possibly EU to pass your credentials to other person, which is really plausible
Even in it's current state, there's plenty of retards in wallapop selling 50 free/bundle game accounts for 300€ to ignorant people like it's a big deal

schadenfreude, either that or their conservative wageslave idiots who don't understand economics but still suck corporate dick because "muh third rake!!".

The irony is the same people shit on commies for working for free but they want a 0$ minimum wage for every american lmao.

The real issue I see is that stealing accounts would be a very profitable business without the risk of having the account blocked
I guess

Yep, it's glorious.
Imagine being such a cuck that you HOPE that lobbyists try to strike down consumer protections.

Amerifats love their "american" corporation.
Hence why Xbox still exist.

how would that work with regional pricing ?
will the game by locked to my regian ? what about sales? can i buy a game for cheaper from users after a sale? will the money from the game go the publisher or to the user?
this feel like a horrible ideia

It effectively kills the entire digital market.

fpbp

How?
>S-subscriptions
Ban it.
It's that simple.

Nobody knows because lawmakers don't even know themselves as usual with any bureaucrat.

Not a problem for EU since they want regionlocking prices in Europe to get completely abolished because muh one market.

That's for the rest of the world to deal with.
Out of sight; out of mind.

And so should gog and epic then.

That means every game will become always-online and require an account or something, so it cannot be resold.

the thing that made companies reeeeeee at used games was that they got nothing out of a transition. With digital games they coul implement a system that makes them get a cut of whatever is sold as long as it's one of their games

Reselling of any digital goods means in practice that some bulgarian can make infinite copies of something and sell it on a gray market.

It will be impossible to verify that he is holding legit licenses.

Now piracy is one thing but when the pirates start earning more than the actual producers you have a market collapse.

Stadia.

So we will have to go back to physical copies and actually owning what you buy? Sounds great to me

>they'll just start tacking on DLC or constant micropayments to make up for the loss of revenue.
As opposed to what they are doing right now? Ho wait now, they are already tacking all a metric fuckton on DLC on everything.

You can already go and buy retail copies of most games, they cost the same as on Steam.
People still prefer digital.

You make it sound like it is a bad thing.

No, we will go to game streaming.

The vast majority of retail copies are just Steam codes.

>Reselling of any digital goods means in practice that some bulgarian can make infinite copies of something and sell it on a gray market.
Then limit the number of times someone can resell a digital key, again, it's that fucking simple.
It's a digital key, you can change how it functions whenever you want as a publisher.
Again, the only people who think this is bad are retarded Amerimutts, the same people who thought refunds would be bad.

This is real life monkeys paw

It is a bad thing.

Physical copies have higher barrier to entry by a million miles. That means basically none of your autism simulators will get distributed.

sucking corporate cock this hard

It can still get a lot worse.

You are literally 12 years old, reselling games has been a thing since the start, kill yourselves zoomers.

The golden age of autism simulators were in the retail era. Dil8.

But the one who bought a resold key should be able to resell his already resold key user.

There's no practical way to control this.

Imagine a game like Return of the Obra Dinn, one of the best games of 2019.
It could never be sold on Steam with these retarded French laws, or it would have to be an online service just to merely function.

Stupid laws, only a government bootlicker would think it's a good idea for laws to forbid people from engaging in voluntary transactions.
No wonder the French couldn't survive without bribing third world countries to buy French military equipment.

Attached: 1383994757203.png (630x700, 161K)

No you retard, we are never going back to that. It just means unique games won't get made because they will get "resold" out of the ass.

How would that even work? A large amount of Steam users would only buy "used" games because they'd always be listed as cheaper than the store price even at the all-time lowest discount. Hell, even much lower. Developers are just going to die because that's significantly less money in the market.

Reselling stuff is a thing for most things since the very beginning.

"""Retail copies"""" that are just an empty box with a steam code inside. I'm talking about games that fully come on a disc and run off of said disc/fully install from the disc

No, game streaming will never take off on PC.
It will however kill consoles.
See, there's this giant market on PC that Yea Forums might not care about, but a lot of the PC community does.
It's called esports.
And esports require the lowest latency possible in order to be competitive, hence why most competitive gamers will play at shit resolutions like 1280x960 just so they can hit 300-500 FPS.
Nevermind all the companies, products, and markets that rely on high-refresh monitors and low latency peripherals.
Streaming is just never going to take off on PC, but it'll probably kill consoles if little Timmy can stream Fortnite at console-level visuals on his $150 phone instead of bugging mommy to buy him a $500 console.

lol no

Games like Factorio and all of Zachtronics offerings would NEVER exist in retail era.

I grew up in retail era, it was just stocked with generic FPS, RTS and sports games.

>a disc
I haven't had a disc drive in my PC since 2008
Who uses deteriorating physical media in the last decade?

>game streaming will never take off on PC.
It will once digital sales don't exist.

Pathetic pay pigs.

Attached: jack sparrow.jpg (1029x798, 154K)

Well in that case i hope you like multiplayer only free to play games user, because that is the only thing that is gonna get made.

>But the one who bought a resold key should be able to resell his already resold key user.
That's not how it works, just like how you can't resell an already-sold item or trading card in your Steam inventory.
Sorry user, but you have 0 arguments against this, you are merely an upset Amerimutt and thankfully your kind are slowly becoming irrelevant.

>It just means unique games won't get made because they will get "resold" out of the ass.
Oh yeah, I die to play "Generic FPS #36379684."

>literally g2a market but not operated by criminals
Whats wrong with this again?

>be american
>violate the law
>WHAT THE FUCK HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE MONEY I'M JUST A POOR BILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION

user almost all the people who made that shit for retail went broke because they sold like shit on retail

BASED FRENCHES

YES

I UNIRONICALLY WANT THAT.

Attached: 1544272915736.png (1269x1439, 2.3M)

Yea, just like no one buys new copies of console games because they can just get the used versions for cheaper.
I swear to god, it seems like every American on Yea Forums is an invalid.

So a used dresser should only be allowed to be resold by the original person who bought it from the store and the 2nd owner should never be allowed to resell it?

I mean, I'm selling my licenses for a lesser prize.

Maybe they should have a limit on how many times the same license can be traded, like if you buy another person's license to play the game, you can't resell it.

But yeah I would be glad to sell some of my shitty games for 50% off, this also means that most games will be on sale, like, forever.

No, it never will, because that would destroy the $15 billion esports industry, which would cripple the revenue of almost every major player in the PC space.
It's never going to happen.
On PC.
It's 100% going to happen on consoles.

Microsoft Flight Simulator.
SimCity.
Anno series.
Populous.
Black & White.
Tropico.
Championship Manager.

>Can't sell something therefore you don't own it
Your mother can't give you away for free yet she still owns you

>because that would destroy the $15 billion esports industry
esport games are free for the most part

its more of a reality, not a plea

This. If you read Steam ToS, what you're paying for is a non-transferable license to use a given software. You don't own anything but a rental contract, one they hold all power to revoke. Digitalfags blow my mind with their slave mentality. Either pirate everything or play on console with discs. At least you get a beta version if the platform holder releases a gut patch.

>games
>It's LITERALLY about account selling
God this board is dumber than even /biz/

The French are a blight on the European Union, their laws have no regard for basic freedoms.

Because of the French we all pay a tax everytime we buy a hard drive or a USB stick that goes to record companies because the French thought it's valid to assume every person who buys any form of digital storage is a pirate and must therefore compensate the music industry.

We shouldn't be talking about Brexit, we should be talking about Frexit.

And for the double-digit IQ retards in this thread, this will kill all small developers especially those making single-player games.

Attached: 1295748341617.jpg (126x111, 9K)

>FRENCHIES GOING TO GIVE US THE ABILITY TO SELL ALL THOSE SHITTY HUMBLE BUNDLE GAMES
you won't get anything, americuck
this will be for eurobros only

Thanks, based member of the Valve Internet Defense Force.

Terms of Service cannot make up laws. This has been continuously reiterated even in Amermutt Corpo-Land.

A dresser DETERIORATES and cannot be copied without substantial time and resource allocation.

Ability to make infinite copies of something is the sole reason digital markets exist.

It'll fuck over indie devs, likely up the price of digital games, we're going to see a new wave of drm for this kind of shit too.
It's going to be a disaster, people who want this are thinking very, VERY short term.

You're an idiot.
dailyesports.gg/mobile-esports-games-grossed-over-15-billion-in-2018/
PC esports games made almost $9 billion last year.
And this doesn't even take into account all of the hardware that's sold primarily because it appeals to esports gamers.
There's a reason everyone's launching phones with 90, 100, and 120 Hz screens now.

>It'll fuck over indie devs
Good. They're by and large mouthy twitter shitstains

You do the same thing when you buy physical
>B-but I own the twelve cent disk and someone can buy that from me
Okay kek

>Because of the French we all pay a tax everytime we buy a hard drive or a USB stick that goes to record companies because the French thought it's valid to assume every person who buys any form of digital storage is a pirate and must therefore compensate the music industry.
source?

>reselling digital games
oh man

Yep, just like used games on consoles killed small developers and singleplayer games.
Oh no wait, that never happened.
Weird.
Are all PCfags this fucking stupid or just the American ones?

They can when money controls laws and a move like this would annihilate digital storefronts overnight.

>this will kill all small developers
You mean those SJW faggots that complain about muh curation and Steam constantly?

This.

I remember retail era, the only ones who got games published were big studios and cocksuckers making generic titles for generic proven genres.

>2018 changed to 2019

You wont find it but this is old news.

Real epic, the internet truely is controlled and represents the nu-mkultra.

Yes because small indie games thrive on consoles right? Dumb retards

What's up with all the corporate dick sucking kike lover nowadays?
Why wouldn't you want to own what you buy?
Why would you want steam to keep your wallet funds if you close your account?
Why aren't you fighting to remove games a service from existence?
Fucking useless cucks.

>conservatives are the ones who don't understand economics
Tell me more about those new massive social programs that aren't going to require raising taxes, or how we now need a 20$ minimum wage, mr leftist.

>Mandate Steam Guard/Phone Number 2FA to be able to resell games

>It'll fuck over indie devs
Is this supposed to be a bad thing? Fuck those tranny lovers.

They drink GabeN's cum in a regular basis. To them, there was no PC gaming before the creation of Steam.

Except it's not. Good luck revoking a piece of read only storage

You don't understand, I'm all for a transferrable license, but that won't stop me from calling you a faggot. Lmao

No, becuase these games are only bundled because nobody buysthem
you will not be able to sell them, and other titles that people want will crash in price too literally fucking killing digital PC distribution if this happens
This can't happen without PC suffering big time

This. America has been super clear that shrinkwrap agreements are not binding.

I think this decision is "ex tunc": from here on.

Oh yea, because small indie games sure do thrive on PC.
screenrant.com/steam-indie-sales-down-70-percent-report/

S>100 copies of bat ratz

Physical is the only way.

This is one of those rulings that's mean to be proconsumer but will probably have the opposite effect. If reselling digital does become common then many developers will opt for a free2play model or a subscription service so that they can continue to make a ton of money. I also suspect it would hit single player stuff the hardest since people would play through once and then resell. Unlike physical media, digital doesn't run the risk of degrading in quality or being more troublesome to obtain on a used market so it would sell even better.

do you understand the concept of microtransactions. brainlet

Better use that read only software forever offline, because it's easy as fuck to do a quick check to make sure it's a valid copy or not the second it touches the network.

Physical copies have limitations and risks such as availability and quality. A worldwide digital storefront will basically have an infinite supply of "used" games in perfect condition and only an idiot would ever not buy games on there if it existed.

Personally, I don't care. DRM-free or bust. Thank you, based GoG.

Women can literally abandon children in america legally, nigger.

I can make a conscious decision to buy on Steam or not.

I can't make a conscious decision to which laws I should be ruled by.

Curious article. Bringing up epic vs steam when most indie games AREN'T allowed on epic.

I'd support this if the original devs get 30% of the sale.

Do you understand that most of that money wouldn't be made if esports didn't make these games popular?

I'm just curious, if such a system were implemented, just how cheap 'new' games will be one month after release. It'd kill the publisher's bottom line, even if Steam offered a 5-10% cut of all resells.

Used games along with rising dev cost did help kill small developers you dumbass. We STILL dont have AA games back and are only now after more than decade after the ps2 are we seeing even a resemblance of a resurgence with games like Greedfall.

Goddamn you are stupid, son.

What's your point here and how does it relate to anything I just said?
Reselling doesn't have anything to do with esports as most esport games are free.

So, like G2A?
Or Kinguin?
Or Fanatical?
Weird, these third party key selling marketplaces don't seem to have killed any developers, weird how that works.
Almost like you're just a moronic Amerimutt talking out of his ass to defend your corporate masters.

>it's another legal expert thread

still waiting on those lawsuits against companies that file DMCAs and C&Ds against fan games and private servers.

There was more variety of genres in the 90s than in 2010s.

Imagine if we could resell games, at whatever price we want on the Steam Market.

Valve would take a cut out of it, but no one would be fucking games in the store anymore, what would be the fucking point if you can have them cheaper in the marketplace and there's absolutely no difference? The publishers would not get any money from it, they would all stop supporting Steam very fast.

Also DxM is AA. Still waiting on my copy.

It would fuck the big ones and murder anyone below GTA level.

You mean G2A which developers have started a crusade against?

Are you being retarded on purpose user or are all government bootlickers mouthbreathing morons?

The big publishers would survive and resources would be shifted to even more free to play style/multiplayer only games. The ones getting fucked would be indie and AA (or whatever is left of AA). Companies like Ubisoft or EA would be fine.

>corporations getting bent over backwards for consumer rights

Attached: 1449096845559.jpg (313x515, 46K)

Completely and absolutely dead wrong.

Attached: wrong.gif (480x287, 1.21M)

>Whats wrong with this again?
developers are just gonna leave Steam
the other bad news is it will be like Steam trading cards, even if you force everyone to participate in this anything that alot of people already have will be nothing of worth

those must have been zoomers in that court room that ruled that day

Attached: 1234.png (400x563, 71K)

They'd be practically free. I could resell 90% of my steam library right now for $1 a game and be better off as a consumer than having them sit there and collect dust. Reselling digital licenses would be pretty awful for publishers.

>Yea Forums constantly shits on indie devs complaining about G2A
>now defends those indie devs when Valve's bottom line is in risk

Those aren't "used"

>You mean G2A which developers have started a crusade against?
You mean a bitchfit that went nowhere?
You're only proving that developers aren't on the side of consumers and thus can be safely ignored.

The devs won't go through with this.

Most of those keys are sold from developers themselves and can't be resold once tied to a Steam account.

Besides stolen credit cards are used frequently for those purchases, so that moral high horse didn't work out so well for you.

Because this will fuck over developers massively, so much that they'll start using worse ways to sell their games such as turning everything into games as a service - you won't even purchase a license anymore. Just some playtime.

you could give a fraction of the transaction cost to the devs

>publisher

yeah fuck them. most suck anyways

You realize a game has to be SOLD in order to be RESOLD, right? I can’t sell you a used copy of my game unless I bought a new copy, digital or otherwise.

You mean retards shit on devs for complaining about G2A stealing their money
The same retards who think reselling games on Steam is a good idea

There's no solution to being a retard user, some people are just born dumb.

They would need a regulated "second-class" version to be sold on the used market. Used buyers don't get everything, like how some games used one-time DLC or even multiplayer access vouchers. It's a nightmare scenario, but it would happen.

>Yea Forums IS ONE PERSON

G2a isn't used nigger. Why are you so dumb.

All it will do is push companies even harder towards 100% streaming garbage like Stadia. Can't sell anything when you have literally nothing.

Objectively wrong, wrong in every dimension and every level.

You didn't live in the 90s.

>devs are just gonna leave steam
And where are they gonna go? If this ruling goes through, EVERY SINGLE RETAILER will have it affected on them.

>G2A
>stealing
No one forced them to sell Steam keys in bundles, user.
They could have sold just DRM-free builds.

Stadia.

Stupid, the argument was about streaming and how it'll never be able to take off on PC thanks to PC gamers valuing performance and low input latency over visuals.
People would just continue to play non-streaming games and wouldn't buy into any of the streaming services.
Now what would fuck over consoles is if Fifa became a Stadia exclusive.
Consoleniggers can't resist their Fifa.

Hopefully devs will sell their games for a normal low price everywhere and switch to a triple price in France to make up for being fucked.

So you could buy a singleplayer game like Papers Please for 10€ everywhere but it'd cost 30€+ in France.
With a 30% cut going to the devs and a 30% cut going to Valve on any used game resale, they'd be fairly safe this way.

Attached: 1390921135568.png (280x500, 27K)

G2A etc. are not selling used keys, you fucking moron. All of the keys on those sites were either

A) Sold on the storefront and never activated

B) Given out by the dev for free and never activated

Not used games, retard. I can't suddenly decide I don't want MHW on my library and sell it on G2A.

And give that fat fuck 30%? No chance. Total freedom or bust.

Every big dev will open their own stores
Indie devs get bent.

This guy gets it. The alternative to buying a one-time-use license are SO much worse and anti-consumer. Just look at all the garbage SAAS companies these days.

>if we don't bend over and let corporations screw us, they'll just do it anyway!

Oh good, I got one, I always wanted to ask one of you guys why you shoot innocent children in churches and grocery stores instead of politicians that are directly culpable for society? Seems more pragmatic 2bh.

cant tell if international cyber monopolist or french criminal scum

> Frenchies are the ones that cemented the streaming only future

Thanks a lot Frogtards.

It would be the worse for indies, small games would be essentially dead. Think of a small unique game that becomes a small hit and sells 100,000 copies over a period a year. Well now if will sell something like 25,000 and those 25,000 copies will keep switching around online and then said indie goes broke and never sells a game again because they can't afford to.

How to make it work without fucking annihilating the damn digital game distribution:

>Only can sell games you bought with a bank account/wallet and where not gifted, added trough a code, or bought from another person
>Transactions are taxed 7-10% so if you sell a game for 10 dollars, the buyer has to pay 10.70-11, all this money goes to the dev
>The money you receive can only go to your wallet

This will prevent people from just selling all the games they buy and making an infinite loop of people playing the same game by only playing once, it will also prevent people from reselling codes and shit from bundles. Tax money also help devs not lose all the money, potentially cutting their profit by a lot.

C) Keys bought using stolen credit cards

cope /pol/tard

You can consent to buying games on Steam you know.

Can't consent to which laws get instated.

>Corporate fascists actually defending the state of digital games

Attached: t3_5n1wcm.jpg (480x443, 27K)

You overestimate how many PC gamers play above console performance on their third world potatoes and laptops. Gamers are apes that will buy anything, especially a 1080/60 streaming service.

Yep.

>the argument was about streaming and how it'll never be able to take off on PC thanks to PC gamers valuing performance and low input latency over visuals.
To which I said they can just let them download esport games as they are free.

They'll be subject to it as well. They will never be allowed to sell a product again unless they let you resell it. It might push them to F2P service type games, but if they're desperate enough to do that, then screw them.

A fraction of the transaction cost might as well be nothing. You can't live on whatvis essentially a charity pitty revenue.

Prove it to g2a and make bank, retard. Oh wait you can't.

if you mean the big games nowadays have less variety then back then no I have to disappoint you
back then it was doom, diablo and wow clones
now it is moba and battle royal fads

Wut.

GaaS existed long before this French ruling.

I don't give a shit about Valve. I care about how the resale of digital copies is going to absolutely destroy the market, kill developers and encourage other ways of wringing money out of customers like subscriptions and microtransactions.

>or bought from another person
how is this any different than the current situation?

based retard

Based baguette

Attached: 1567224078127.png (334x506, 143K)

Imagine if I could go out and download a game on the internet for free RIGHT now.
What would be the point of paying for any games at all?

Exactly the kind of braindead response I thought I'd get from a /pol/ newfag, eat a bullet sweetie.

>you won't even purchase a license anymore. Just some playtime.
And the government will ban it.
Sounds simple enough to me.
Only white people would be against banning something like that.

>subscriptions and microtransactions.
Things that are already pushed everywhere, in the case of subscriptions and already accepted in the case of MTXs.

>make bank
They just refund whatever you spent or give you a new game.

t. Had my copy of Brigandor taken because it was bought with a stolen card

>every single-player game are now free but have energy systems inplace to prevent you burning through it unless you pay money

>They will never be allowed to sell a product again
They don't need to sell a product.
They'll simply sell you a service.

>Buy game for 60 bucks
>Finish game, sell it for maybe 40 dollars
>Guy that bought it for 40 dollars finishes it, and sells it again, and the person that bought it sells it again, making a loop.

I want a system where I can sell games I bought from the dev. Not a system to make an ifinite loop of used game licenses.

Can't wait to buy 1/10th of a game at full price and get the other 9/10ths in non-refundable DLC purchases :^)

Everything is already ruined by microtransactions, so what’s your point?

>steam forces you to sell at market price
>nobody bothers to buy from you

Except there are already 5 different streaming services on PC (some of which stream at 1080p/120 FPS) and they're all completely dead.
And no one would do that when they can just play the free, non-streaming version of aforementioned esports games.
Are you retarded?

It will become the only thing out there.

That was fault of the French court, somehow.

>the french are the ones who fucked us into a streaming subscription/f2p only future
Huh, gotta be honest. Didn't expect it.

Why do you want to make the situation worse? Devs currently do that shit for extra cash, not because it's the only way to make a profit.

Services are products.
>t. Government
Now what, bitch?

Anyone against this is a corporate dicksucking faggot who needs to kill themselves. Why would you want to bend over before corporations instead of defending customer rights?

How do you resell a digital copy? Just give someone the rights to that key?

Nice. Finally I can egt rid of my 800+ games mountain of garbage.

>Services are products.
brainlet

Not because of this ruling, all major companies were already making their subscription services.

>Why do you want to make the situation worse?
Weren't publishers the ones who pushed that shit?

So... what value difference is there between a new digital game and a "used" digital game?

Now you'll pay for that subscription to play that game you want.

Not everywhere and will evolve drastically because of how much money this will suck from the industry. Stop acting like gaming is already at rock bottom and can't get any worse becsuse you'll always be wrong.

Prove me wrong.
I'll wait.

I agree with him though. This would be a great ruling if we banned service games. You're now only allowed to sell a product.

>And no one would do that when they can just play the free, non-streaming version of aforementioned esports games.
No one would do what? Play any other game?
Or what the fuck?

>businesss badddddd
>communissstttt goooddd
>blahhh blahhhh
Eat shit my dude. Not every business person is some giant greedy EA or Ubisoft.

You do realize that it means an increase in price right? Nothing is free.
If people will be able to resell the initial prices will be higher.

Because this leads to corporations fucking us over even more.
Not that you'd understand, you're a naive child.

>They think steam could survive if a re-selling system was added
It would tank the value of every game on there.

Attached: 5aeb623c78a7c18d71b0cc1aed18a849.gif (640x480, 97K)

And now there's one less reason to go back to regular games.

Subscriptions are a product, as such you cannot sell it to me without allowing me to access it without your servers being available or me having the ability to resell aforementioned subscription to someone else (which is something you can already do with things like Netflix anyways).
Your move.

based retard

None. Say good bye to single player games and i hope you like f2p fornite clones.

Maybe if they weren't charging the same price as a fucking physical copy, this wouldn't be an issue.

Just dumb socialists/teens/20's/communists living in fantasy land.

Right, wait I'm just gonna go and resell that lawyer counseling and that doctor's appointment too.

Also why I'm at it, why don't I just resell that dentist work as well?

No one would play any of these F2P esports streaming only games since they'd have tons of input delay, which would just piss off the users on PC and render the game dead in a month when there are already tons of much better options.
Now, this wouldn't be an issue on consoles, since consolefags will eat shit and ask for more.

>Stop acting like gaming is already at rock bottom and can't get any worse becsuse you'll always be wrong.
They literally made a casino add-on for Grand Theft Auto Online that works with real money.

go look at the music industry and their profits from streaming services. people take stupid deals because otherwise they would get nothing

what's the point of used digital games? there's no loss in value since it can never be damaged and there's infinite copies, unless they artificially make an edition limited content, but even then it can just be modded into the game, at least on pc.

Attached: 1568313802747.jpg (483x428, 61K)

Every single game made on or after 2007 has been objectively 100% pure shit made for casual shit-eaters who don’t know any better. Vidya is dead, so tell me, what there is left to ruin anymore?

not him but pretty sure subscriptions are a service
I really wish they were a product

>No one would play any of these F2P esports streaming only games since they'd have tons of input delay
WHICH IS WHY
THEY
LET THEM DOWNLOAD FREE GAMES
BECAUSE THE RESELLING DOESN'T FUCKING AFFECT FREE GAMES

ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID

How the fuck would you legislate that? By extension you woild have to ban all subscription based services.

Because it will hasten the fuck out of literally everything turning into subscription services, enjoy paying 10 dollars a month to 5 billion different subscription services for the rest of your life to play the games you want

>go to a dentist
>get a crown
>say something that the doctor disagrees with
>crown gets ripped out, no refunds

Nah, just make it so you can't sell a game that's a service instead of a product.
Ban it, it's that simple.

>Frexit
>Not Oui Out

they will simply increase the price of the initial buy so people who dont plan on reselling will have to suffer for those that do plan on reselling or it will force people who didnt want to resell to now have to resell or end up paying extra cause the initial price will have to be higher.
As usual commies dont understand anything.

Consolefags own their discs. Unless you pirate everything learn your place, digital churl.

>By extension you woild have to ban all subscription based services.
This just keeps getting better.

> Reselling = Refunds

guuuhuureehuuurrrrrrrrrsessssssssssefshhifiiiiiiiiiuuuu

YOU FUCKING MONGOLOID, THIS ENTIRE ARGUMENT IS ABOUT STREAMING AND WHETHER OR NOT IT WOULD TAKE OFF ON PC (IT FUCKING WOULDN'T) NOT ABOUT RESELLING
HOW ARE YOU THIS FUCKING INCAPABLE OF FOLLOWING A SIMPLE REPLY CHAIN?

>If people will be able to resell the initial prices will be higher.
Like how physical copies are more expensive tha-
Oh wait.
>they will simply increase the price of the initial buy
No they won't, that's retarded, you're retarded.

fine now you're sold 12 individual game installments released as 'new' DLC products each month for 12.99 (plus tip)

Yeah and that's ONE fucking game. Are you so thick that you don't understand the fact that more devs would adopt that type of shit if they couldn't rely on sales to earn money?

There's nothing saying Steam and the devs cant get a cut.
Regardless you cant sell things you dont own so its an automatic loophole, Steam doesnt has to lift a finger.

Why the fuck are you even here?

lower price will mean shittier games.
The cheaper distribution method meant more games at higher calibres could be made.
People were used to the price so what increased was the variety and quality of games.
If you want cheaper games it will mean worse games.
Nothing is free.

>consolefags own their discs that you're not allowed to modify or copy or alter in any way, and don't work on any system other than the approved console of choice

Attached: 1568125011935.jpg (267x342, 39K)

Sure, heavily regulate them.
You can only sell a subscription service if it offers at least 40 separate products, anything less and it's classified a product and cannot rely on the company's servers to access.
Solves the issue not only for sub services, but also in the enterprise space.

How the fuck does it not take off when devs don't fucking sell their games anymore, just provide them on streaming platforms?
Fucking troglodyte
>it won't take off because esports!!!
Well they fucking let. them. download. the. free. games. so. esports. isn't. a. fucking. argument.

>frogs are coming with a good idea
and Hell has frozen

Attached: 612621621.jpg (1025x654, 43K)

My mind is not changed. I would actually argue that long term things like Spotify are not sustainable.

How would this work?I got most of my games for either dirt cheap or for free, would I be able to sell them for several times over that?

>Yeah and that's ONE fucking game.
They already planned to expand it to all of their games.
>CEO Strauss Zelnick identified the Rockstar title as "the single largest contributor to recurrent consumer spending", while also noting that purchases made in NBA 2K18 are up nearly 60% over the previous version. And the publisher doesn't intend to stop there. "We aim to have recurrent consumer spending options for every title that we put out at this company," Zelnick told shareholders during an investor call, transcribed by Seeking Alpha.
>gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-08-take-two-wants-recurrent-consumer-spending-from-every-title-wont-always-be-microtransactions

So...episodic games?
Those things that already exist and have existed for years now?
Okay.
I'll just pirate them if the total cost is more than $60.

This. So many gaming groups just end up with tons of ppl giving away their Humble Bundle duplicates for free. Nobody is reselling anything.

>his emulator doesn't support reading games from the disc drive
lel
>not allowed to modify or copy or alter in any way
US law strictly permits making backup copies of your software

ah right, they will simply run a business that loses money...
oh wait, its the ebil capitalists making huge profits right...
its not like the gaming industry is competitive as shit with tiny overall profit margins..
Learn some fucking economy.

>and don't work on any system other than the approved console of choice
That post was full of retardation, but this is the most retarded part. Do you expect to run a Classic Mac OS game in a NES?

It won't take off because esports relies on low latency you fucking moron, no one wants to play an esports game on a laggy stream, and all it would take is one dev saying "nah, fuck streaming" and offering a non-streamed game that provides a much better experience to kill every other streaming game.

Tell me exactly what laws were violated

Unless you pirate everything, you're a slave to the launcher. You're the same, but own even less.

Maybe, yeah. What has happened here is a court that has no idea how something works is making rulings on it. In practice this would destroy the market or make only a very few kind of games sustainable.

The french laws of sovereign gayness

GOG and, by extension, the pirate bay don't have any of the drawbacks of physical or DRM laden games. You own the game forever, and there's no software roadblocks stopping you from altering it as you see fit.

It is on your account page, there are games bought on steam and activated keys (like from the Humble store)

You can't. Those Humble Bundles are just that, bundles. The key you get accounts for all the titles within that bundle. I know this because I removed a Humble Bundle game I knew I'd never play ever from my account and it took several other games with it.

Wouldnt this tank the prices of games and basically make steam sales useless? I mean sales for sure would stop

But this makes sense - you buy something its yours and you should be able to sell it if you want. I bet developers are gonna cry so hard

jesus fucking christ you have got to be trolling right now

Yes, and your point is?

>look, something shitty happened so there's nothing wrong with making the situation even worse
Ah, I see. You want to engineer an industry crash.

also, how will this affect DRM-free games? You can copy the EXE out of the steam folder, then resell it, and now you have the game AND the money.

Couldn't you also do this with refunding games?

You missed my point.
>and don't work on any system other than the approved console of choice

>You own the game forever, and there's no software roadblocks stopping you from altering it as you see fit.
Except re-selling it.

>The key you get accounts for all the titles within that bundle.
At some point, they began to offer individual keys.

GoG is almost irrelevant, but sure. You're free there, but receive almost no new big games.

yeah but why do that, you might as well just pirate

You don't own your game if you have to go through a thousand hoops to subvert software blocks.

they will have to increase initial prices to account for al lthe money they will lose because of the % of people who will be reselling.
That or the gaming industry will switch even further towards games that cant really be resoled like fortnite that are games as a service or whatever.

A lot of devs are done for, especially mid size and small devs. Large publishers will simply shift to making f2p multiplayer content

You're the troll if anything

Esports players are extremely autistic about all the little things in their setup. They will not put up with latency. Without them there won't be an esports scene for a game in the first place, whether it's only on streaming or not

You're a retard if you think the French Supreme Court ruling is the reason they will begin to push for more MTXs.

1) valve are going to appeal
2) even of they are defeated it'll just be one more incentive to move on to subscription based games

Congrats, you're a fucking moron.
Likely a consolenigger.
Streaming will never take off on PC, ever.

By this argument, almost no one has owned a game. Even DOS and Amiga games had to be cracked.

And now you're just missing the point. It doesn't matter if some scumbag company is going to continue being scumbags. What matters is that digital resale is going to force EVERY company to be EVEN WORSE scumbags just to make ends meet.

Fuck you right, this also fucks GOG. They would just be a more inconvenient piracy plataform from the point of view of devs. What a weird ruling, i bet you the judges are some old ass people who don't even understand how digital works.

>They will not put up with latency
Which is why they let them download the esport games.
They will not provide esport games on the streaming platforms.

Same to you, fucking mongoloid. Have you rotted your brain somehow?
They will not provide esport games on the streaming platforms.

>download emulator
>put disc in drive
>play game
oh yeah that's a thousand hoops to jump through
also by that logic, creating pirated versions of a game is a bunch of steps and means you don't own the game

And without an esports game any F2P game is basically dead in the water, because that means no streamers playing it for the chance at esports clout/tourney money, which means no little kids watching said streamers and playing the game themselves, which means a much smaller playerbase and less microtransaction sales.

/thread

i can't even get rid of MGSV:ground zeros

>force
At best it's just an excuse. They would have done it anyways.

If it was just France it wouldn't matter. If the EU copied the ruling it would destroy the industry.

Remember when the ps1 crash was caused by shops and people reselling and sharing their games?

Me neither.

What about re-selling digital music? Digital movies? Is this also possible in France? If not then why are they targeting video games?

humble bundles are shit because you get a whole bundle. but if there's a good single game in it, you could now get it from other people at the single price.

I think it will apply to all digital goods.

Which would mean that streaming won't take off...

Weaker industry, claws aren't as deep in the governments.

>millions of second hand games flooding the market
Yeah this seems like a GENIUS idea.

This won't fuck over anything at all.

whats the point? even if you get your way it's not worth a single penny like I already said

it's not gonna be much different than reselling consoles games only that you have to take into account that you now have to beat steam sales which makes the games worth much less
especially those really old games people collected over the years are not worth a damn

>losing a third of european gaming industry
>or even better for many niche games French practically sustain all by themselves
yeah, smart move I swear.

You ignore the fact that Japan already had a working indie scene by that time. It just never occurred to people that they could have a fair where small game developers could sell their products an offer their games on their own website.

>Amiga
tcrf.net/Alien_Breed_(Amiga)

So, ?

How would that even work? You buy a digital item, how does the end-user then go on and sell it? Obviously the end-user won't have their own platform, the only way to re-sell would be using the platform you bought it on somehow.

Or, just giving a digital copy of the item to another person upon a transaction? It's honestly very hard to conceptualize how this would function.

So in other words, streaming will not take off on PC.
Because Rainbow Six Siege is a huge esports game, it's not F2P.
Same with For Honor (to a lesser extent).
And before recently, CSGO.
Glad we finally came to the conclusion that streaming is DoA on PC (since there are already multiple PC streaming services and no one uses them.

They will find a loophole, just like how I, before claiming any free game inthe Epico Store, have to tick a box saying I'm fully conscious that in order to be able to "purchase" the Game, I reject the 3 week return period for goods the (((EU))) is "gifting" me with

>it cannot be resold
the fact you'll need to purchase individually (like for stadia) means that you will still be obligated to deliver the customer a way to resell that game, even if they don't install shit.

fug DDD:

Japan has a different video game culture and very high population density which means niches have an easier time to thrive.

>Because Rainbow Six Siege is a huge esports game, it's not F2P.
They'll make it f2p.
>Same with For Honor (to a lesser extent).
Same because it's ubi.
Both games aren't even big esport games.

>losing a third of European gaming industry
>as opposed to losing more than half their revenue because people only buy resales, assuming the market just doesn't crash altogether
Yeah. It is the smart move.

Exactly.
That other user is either an idiot or he forgot what he was arguing about.

>t. hasn’t bought a humble bundle since 2014

This should be spammed in Borderlands 3 crack threads.

If it's just the account then I'm ok with it. It's reasonable

>game streaming will be dead when all games are available exclusively on streaming platforms
based retard

As much as I'd like it to happen I doubt it will because then every single other digital retailer would be required to do so, and apple, Microsoft, Google, etc. probably would throw a shitfit
the people saying all games would move to a subscription service or gaas shit are as dumb as people saying that everyone would front load content because of the 2 hour refund thing back when that happened

>as opposed to losing more than half their revenue because people only buy resales
>because people only buy resales
Holy fuck, the delusion.

>how would that even work
I think what has happened here is we have a bunch of old judges making rulings on shit they don't even understand. The only way i can maybe see this working is PC market goes back to purely physical sales.

I remember when cucks like yourself said the same shit about refunds

I hope this establishes a precedent for all digital sales. I'm tired of dealing with angry retards trying to return digital stuff at my place of employment.

No it's everything, on an industrial level.

You are implying that streaming game works, it doesn't for people with good connections and it's unaviable for most of the world including for everyone in 1st world countries that doesn't live in a large city.

South Korea did it earlier.
en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20100113009600315

Would you buy the 80% off game for $5 from the storefront, or the $1 "used" game on a separate page on the same platform? This is a very hard question so please think before replying.

Sucks to be them. Those third worlders don't buy games anyway.

Nah, they won't, it's much more profitable to leave it as is, because PC gamers will just refuse to play any new games that require streaming.
Except it'll never happen, since some devs will just say "hey, our game isn't a streaming game, so you won't have to deal with awful input latency!" so everyone will play that instead.

You know, in order to have a resale, there has to be a original sale.

>since some devs will just say "hey, our game isn't a streaming game, so you won't have to deal with awful input latency!"
And then they have to deal with the reselling problem. Whoopsie

>can re-sell physical games, cost: 60$
>Can re-sell digital games, cost: more than 60 cause lol

I undoubtedly have better internet than you and every single streaming service besides Steam's in-home streaming is absolute dogshit.

>obsessed
If it's morally wrong to choose to sell your labor for less than X dollars/hour then why is it legal for your beloved Apple to use foreign slave labor?

It's true internally because of HADOPI, Sarkozy's anti piracy law. The law itself is a giant joke but the taxes on memory hardware is real.

And you've tried Stadia, I presume?

Even consoles will be forced to comply eventually. Imagine buying Timmy's second hand copy of Bing Bing wahoo for 15 cents. Nintendo's entire model is based around games that never drop in price.
If I'm a developer I'm looking at this and mandating that all future games are either free to play, have a monthly fee, or is tied to a game pass equivelant. I'm never selling a copy of anything ever.

What the fuck is stopping me from selling a used switch game?

Back when it was still using Google's codename, and yep, it was fucking shit.
But I'm not a consolenigger, I'm sure they'll eat it up and ask for more.

>Imagine buying Timmy's second hand copy of Bing Bing wahoo for 15 cents.
That has happened since always tho?

how do i resell pirated games? wait, dont tell you gaiz are srsly buying games on steam?

>steamdrones LITERALLY defending this
Protip: Instead of making unsubstantiated claims about economic functions, let the fat billionaire field EVIDENCE him fucking self.

Imagine literally defending a corporation for free. Holy fucking shit when did such worthless pieces of NPC garbage infest this site? I hope these people are attacked in the streets.

>wait, dont tell you gaiz are srsly buying games?
Fix'd.

Well it's not like devs give a fuck about your lag so whatever

Would you buy a new console game for 60 dollars or an used one for 20 dollars? Think long and hard about this one too, and then think how console games market is doing.

So what's the logistics for this going to be? I mean, there's no such thing as a "used" digital copy of a game, so how do you go about setting a price point? Is Steam going to be the new GameStop and have to buy back whatever games they sell (essentially a no limit return policy,) or does the seller choose their price? Does Steam or the game developers get a cut of the money? Because they're pretty much providing the exact same service to the new buyer as if they sold a new copy, except random jackasses are now getting a cut of money.

Not really, I still need to own your game to play it, if I sell it I can't play it anymore until I buy it again, so it's a moot point.
Just like on consoles.

Steamdrones are insane. It wasn't that long ago that they were claiming refunds would kill small developers and make all games cost $120USD each

If no one is paying them to use it they do.
But, again, consoleniggers will eat streaming up, especially kids.

>does the seller choose their price? Does Steam or the game developers get a cut of the money?
Brian Fargo predicted this scenario.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Cache

>If no one is paying them to use it they do.
It's not like anyone has a chance since it's the only thing available.

If your dumb enough to compare the ease of digital transactions with physical go ahead but you're wrong. The sheer volume difference alone will drop prices dramatically.

enjoy your 1000 dollar games. hey its, ok, you can resell them.

On consoles, yes.
What version do you think they'll be streaming from to begin with?

>On consoles, yes.
Also on PC once these laws go live. Devs won't sell their games

Soon we'll be buying and selling digital video games like stocks.

Kill yourself, cocksucking pcbro.

Eat shit you fucking retard. I don't want a future whete all vidya is fornite clones.

>Do developers get fucked by used games on consoles?
yes, that's why they want to stop them.

And what happens if you introduce resales to a store that has had all original sales? A significant part of the customerbase waits for a sale before they buy a game, myself included. This means less money for the developer but it's still money. A resale is no money at all. Do you seriously think that's not going to affect the market?

So? With no hassle digital resale there would be no reason to keep a game you were done with. There would be a constant supply of used games that were all exactly the same as the new ones.
People would probably organize groups where a person would buy the game and others would buy it and then sell it to the next guy.

>you can do that IRL
You cannot instantly transfer items to people in other locations with the press of a button, so it isn't the same at all.

Tbh I almost never bought new games when I was a consolefag, but with used physical good you alwayshave to factor condition and availability in.

It amazes me how much we rely on foreign countries to regulate American anti-consumer practices.

Attached: 1407172388986.jpg (211x193, 8K)

Then they'll die, because the money they'd get from putting their game on a subscription streaming service would pale in comparison to what they'd get just selling a regular priced game, and no one's going to pay full price for a streamed game on PC since the ones streaming on PC are usually poorfags.
Consoleniggers will though, but that's more because they're fucking stupid.

>HAHA I CAN SELL MY GAMES
>Valve and publishers decide you can only rent games from now on
Don't be a fucking retard this is a bad thing

They should.
And I actually have some retail games activated on steam before the whole 'lol is just a subscription' fade.

If this was a thing I would get rid of 90% of my library easily, if I kept only the stuff I really love.

Attached: 1443337956346.jpg (240x196, 11K)

Enjoy not being able to play anything the moment the ISP crashes :^)

Is this real? Why the fuck would anyone join the EU if they lose all of their power to govern themselves???

See People who think digital markets work the same way as physical markets are a special class of moron.

some people still think you can make laws that improve economic behavior.

Devs don't give a fuck so whatever

They'll just make their own streaming service then

They don't, that's just typical retard anti-EU speak. They just have to follow certain rules that are part of the Union, like how states in the US can make their own laws but still have to follow federal laws.

Attached: 7ae3496a_3PO.jpg (400x400, 92K)

Property right law. If you own something, the law ensure you're able to sell it.
It's not just a french thing, it's pretty much an EU thing. Oracle and SAP got fucked by court of laws on that matter.

No doubt you said the same shit about refunds too

Developers could get priority access to the second hand market API, and script buying up all 2nd hand coopies till the price is now cheaper to buy new. Bonus points if a cut of that money goes pack to the developer

This, the EU is basically a super lightweight federal govmt, but you don't get a civil war if you try and leave, just economically shafted like the britbongs.

Most devs don't have the infrastructure to make their own streaming service.
They'd have to go through third parties like MS and Amazon, and with how much that'd cost they'd be better off just putting their game on Steam or GoG or itch.io.
But yea, streaming will 100% kill consoles, no question.

>Oracle

>Downloaded software can be resold just like software on physical media can, the Court of Justice of the European Union has said in a ruling that shreds the distinction between software and license sales.
>July 3, 2012
zdnet.com/article/oracle-cannot-block-the-resale-of-its-software-in-europe/

This is old news.

cause they dont.
Why are US states part of the Federal USA?
Same shit.
Europeans believe they have some shared values and they think a unified europe would be better positioned to achieve those values.
The problem is that its turning into a huge bureaucratic mess and a protected market with tarrifs and inefficient economic sectors which are artificially protected by the EU from external competition using all sorts of tax schemes and regulatory demands.

Illegal to restrict sales in part of Europe though, because of european laws. Either you sell in an european country and allow all of the other countries to buy from it, or you just can't sell it in Europe.

Favoring any side without considering the long term ramifications on the entire system isn't a good thing. This is essentially a government forcing an established store to become a flea market.

>Steam (and dozens of other storefronts) should not be available in France, French court rules
ftfy.

See

Welcome to neo Yea Forums.

Go suck start a shotgun.

What the fuck are you talking about they stopped doing that like 5 years ago

Attached: capture1.png (409x783, 33K)

That's fine, but you don't own any games. You own licenses to them. You agreed to not transfer those licenses. It is your legal right to sell them if you wish, just like it's Valve's right to terminate the license the moment it is transferred for breach of contract. I don't see anything wrong here.

Take your meds, schizo.

There's a big difference between a 2hr of play refund and selling something on. And what's to stop something being re-sold at a much lower price and then that constantly being sold on, that's more damaging to sales than case by case refunds.

See

I personally hate refunds. Hate them. After refunds all the sales immediately went to shit, give me back my awrsome sales and keep your shit refunds.

France just made an agreement to sync all their laws with Germany's.

Laws trump ToS.

That sounds like bullshit, or something that is only selectively enforced. H&K wasn't selling USPs in Britain but they're certainly selling them in other parts of Europe.

The ruling is for all digital stores, genius. But sure, it's all Pcbros defending it and not people who just care about the ramifications on the industry.

Well, Britain always had a special position in the European Union. They kept their currency.

I'm American and I'd take consumer protections over mediocre sales any day.
Show me any "great" Steam sale pre-2013 and I can show you a sale on a third party key site that's better.
Only retarded southerners spout this dumbfuck talking point, because most of you are moronic literal niggers.

oh it shows moby, it shows

>international """law"""
Oh shit guys, the UN is gonna send a raid to Bellevue. Hope Gaben's got his knives out.

Not in the United States of corporate America

Europeans are natural born cucks, so losing control of their country gives them an euphoria that not even sex can compete with. It is essentially being cucked 24/7 for them, it's a sick fetish. Europrans are deranged.

You absolute dumb fuck, Valve has an office in Luxembourg.

Oh shit now we are talking. Someone tell Ross.

Attached: 142518144678.jpg (170x170, 20K)

>t. inhabitant of the vassal state of Israel

Basically what happen is that Steam ToS contain a clause that forbid user to resell their licence.

There's a law that prevent rightholder to do that.It's something equivalent to this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaustion_of_intellectual_property_rights

While this usually only concern physical goods, it was extended by the european law in 2012 to also works for software licence.

The thing with steam is that they always stated that a steam account (and the games on that account) is akin to a subscription (something that isn't concerned by that law).
Here the court ruled that buying stuff on steam is basically like buying a goods. Therefore that law must be applied and their clause about reselling stuff is illegal, so they have to remove it for french user.
This does not mean that they have to create a system where you can sell your game on steam. They are just not allowed to ban french people buying game from each other.

Nobody cares eurofag. You're just shooting yourselves in the foot

>This is essentially a government forcing an established store to become a flea market.
Imagine being this brainwashed and thinking paying money to not be allowed to do wtf you want with what you paid money for is a good thing. Imagine thinking paying money to actually own things is a bad thing. Imaging thinking being able to re-sell products you own is a bad thing and is a detriment to an economy.

Attached: sadfasd.png (208x200, 22K)

My life would be infinitely better if I got the chance to stab an American right through his fat cranium a couple hundred times. Once their country collapses just import them here like cattle, charge a pound to have at them with a big knife or a spear. You could paint the walls with all the atrocities they've done to encourage people, it would do wonders for the mental well-being of pretty much every European state.

Attached: 1556822513335.webm (384x196, 2.13M)

Reading that wikipedia i saw that this fucks Fargo too. The article says that devs would set the prices, that's a no no according to this ruling.

>literally making up place names
I think I saw the Swedish chef cook a Luxembourg once.

Americans are just a special kind of retarded, particularly "white" Americans.

>imagine being this dumb and ignoring every EULA for decades
Do you even play vidya?

IT
WILL
FUCK
WITH
SMALLER
DEVS
You stupid cunt, you can't just put laws am expect the economy to magically fix itself. It does not work like that, you are making an economic arena where only the shittiest of retarded games can prosper.

Only in Weimerica EULAs are over the law.

Silicon Valley has brainwashed the country to think it's okay to make billions off of selling "licenses" to things and an entire generation has grown up with that being the norm, so they can't imagine that it's bad in any way.

Attached: 819881.jpg (175x288, 11K)

>European
>doesn't like women
>complains when women are attractive
>is a cuck
Like poetry. Eurocucks are sick.

>muh devs
>t. Epic Games employee

Prove it

The point is you have never "owned" any game you've paid for.

Who the fuck cares?
I care about me as a consumer more than I care about any smaller or indie dev's bottom line, even the ones I like.
Quit being such a fucking simp.

>Corporate bootlickers.
>For free.
Proudhon was right, you are just a bunch of faggots.

>(((Federal Union of Consumers)))
Yes, tell me how (((they))) have your best interests at heart europoor

Steam PCMR babies defending gaben's billions with their lives

Legally, I have. The EULA doesn't mean shit, idiot

>t. digicuck

As long as the devs get a cut of a resale how would it be any different than a Steam sale, where small devs sell their shit games for 99 cents anyways?

>Wal-mart, IKEA, and Gamestop are essentially flea markets
Are you retarded?

You fucking retard, it would destroy the games i wanna play. Why the fuck would i ruin something i like you stupid, stupid fuck.

Allowing to resell games is better for the consumers than not allowing them to resell games.

>Eurotrash is so miffed about Fifa being $60 every year that they'll turn every viable video game into a live "game as a service" just to get their way, killing every game Yea Forums likes.
But I'm supposed to be happy about this, because EU > a corporation?
Can't they both be bad?

>However, the penalty if they refuse is a mere 3,000 Euros a day for up to six months.

>A half-million Euros sounds like a lot of money to most, but considering Valve's estimated (reported via ExtremeTech) $4.3bn revenue in 2017 alone, that's a drop in the ocean.

so it's nothing

>iT dOnT mEaN sHiT
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license_agreement#Shrink-wrap_and_click-wrap_licenses

But he might release HL 3 someday...Lord Gaben deserves all the thalers!

Congratulations, you are not retarded. It's really that fucking simple.

Attached: 9e92kim.gif (483x500, 35K)

user devs wouldn't get a cut of the sale.

No it wouldn't you fucking drama queen faggot, quit being such a fucking simp.
You niggers are always whining about "abluhoo, it'd hurt the games I like if the government protects the rights of consumers!"
I fucking hope it does, I hope everything you like dies a painful death so you can finally do the rest of us a fucking favor and jump off a rooftop.

They are both indeed extremely bad.

If your games aren't digital you're probably a fat hoarding neckbeard that lives in a stinky shithouse, most likely permavirgin too because no woman would spend time in a manchilds game grotto.

>manchilds game grotto
I'm stealing this.

Attached: serialmemorzeaoin.png (420x444, 368K)

Nice salt, roastie.

Something being better for the consumer doesn't mean it would be good long term. Technically it would be better for the consumer if congress passed a law saying all supermarkets have to sell you a months worth of food for one dollar, it would also mean the market would collapse. You can't just sat "well this is better for the consumer" and assume it's actually the best option for even the consumer or the market.

You should probably actually read the things you link. The very first case mentioned in that article has a court ruling the EULA wasn't legally binding

That's a cool name for a podcast.

The European Union already ruled this in 2012 and the world kept moving around. Dilate.

Difference is, the bad EU laws have no impact on me as an American.
The good ones that protect consumer rights DO, so I'll always cheer them on.
Only an idiot would do otherwise, Republicans need to realize that sucking corporate dick is as much of an unpopular position with non-retards as gun control is for Democrats.

Steam already has a place to sell digital items so it should not be difficult for them to also let people sell their games on the Steam Market.
But why is everyone so against it?

Attached: 1555959362364.png (1068x1478, 714K)

In Europe a month's worth of food is one dollar?

Can someone explain the difference between a new and used copy of a digital game?

europeans are braindead, I swear

You're implying people couldn't resell their shit in times long past, zoomer. Yes, even games. And yes, they still made hella profit. They made them licenses and didn't implement systems to resell or allow them to trade them because they want more money in their pockets. Obviously for corporate, why make less money when you can make more? Stop sucking their dicks so hard.

It would collapse the indie/AA market and only leave behind AAA subscription based trash.

Based Frenchies.

Imagine if a supermarket didn't let you cook whatever you want with the food you buy because you don't actually own it, you only own the license to the food. So the supermarket says they can just delete your entire pantry at any point in time if you don't cook exactly the way they want you to.

Sounds stupid and pretty shitty, right?

Attached: 646545.jpg (113x90, 2K)

corporatist cucks

Console gaming is doing fine, yet you can resell console games left and right.

>1 thing out of 10 supports my view, therefore I win
Actual smoothbrain. Did you even read the rest of it or the part that states that a majority of jurisdictions hold such licenses to be enforceable

No it wouldn't.

Based retard.
pcworld.com/article/2058460/sap-cant-restrict-software-resales-german-court-rules.html
40%.

A physical game is not the same as a digital one. The speed and easeness of sale changes everything. It would ruin any small dev.

of course you should be able to resell the games
but you should also give the license holder a substantial share of that

You don't get it.

They don't have to do that.
They literally only have to remove the clause in the ToS that say
>you're not allowed to sell your account

>selling fodder from your library
Enjoy those pennies faget

game collectors, for a few cents of course
people love to see numbers go up and the amount of games you have is listed on your steam profile

>food analogy

Hey, Mustard Race. Do you know all those PC ports you were getting? Well, you can kiss them goodbye.

Attached: neverever.png (229x220, 107K)

>buy game on Steam on sale
>enjoy it enough not to refund purchase
>stream on twitch and youtube for some revenue
>sink 1000 hours into it before quitting
>think Steam owes you money for it now

Actually the rising coat of deving and use sales fucked up a lot of smaller devs during the ps2 era. Also you cannot compare digital sales to physical ones.

Consoles have lots of physical releases and they still keep getting games.

>majority of jurisdictions
Majority of American jurisdictions, sure. I never said otherwise

B-But user, it works for consoles so it should work here because digital works the same as physical, right? Right?

This. It's like comparing a Dehli counter to an all you can eat buffet, and at the buffet you got a bunch of poorfags waiting for 50 cent burnt offerings to fall off the table

That isn't true because people will buy those games specifically to sell. Those keys have to come from somewhere. If you're making a 2 hour game that everybody's playing in one sitting and being resold, then that's a good thing because it discourages trash shovelware from being published. Any good one; Dead Cells, Blasphemous, Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea, all those will continue to do just fine. Protecting the mini-games is the most retarded position you can take.

>think Steam owes you money for it now
Careful grandma, your dementia is flaring up.

Attached: 468px-Hattie.jpg (468x351, 29K)

>buy them second-hand on console instead
Whew, great money gain for the developers there, they'll benefit a lot.
Also expect this ruling to spread to console markets and other online storefronts. They've just set a massive precedent.

bruh, only with other frenchies

>But why is everyone so against it?
Because Gabe Newell is a meme and gamers are dumb.

>not buying on gog
shiggy diggy

Name a single smaller dev who was releasing console games last gen or the gen before who no longer releases console games.
I'll wait.

They are against it because they are shills paid by Valve sent here to tell us how much worse life will be if our consumer rights are protected

does this just apply to cd keys and giftable games in your inventory. or actual activated games in your library?

I fucked up wiring in my brain with blacked and IR porn.
I got so degenerate i cannot fap to anything else than interracial rimming so i cannot control myself when new BLACKEDRAW or Dickdrainers video comes out where a cute young looking girl shoves her face in black ass.
I dream of being a rich young white girl from a prestigous family that sneaks out at night into the shadiest and most dangerous dark alleys in the city to be assaulted by huge dirty black thugs and be forced to rim them all night. Not even get fucked or suck their dicks. Just have them sit on my face and let me lick their dirty, unwashed sweaty assholes all day until i suffocate.

>That's fine, but you don't own any games. You own licenses to them.
In most decent countries, especially ones closely-related to the EU, clauses like this can't actually invalidate your rights. You DO own the game, no matter what Steam or anyone else puts in their ToS.

In fact, only OVERWHELMING resistance from the music and film industry is preventing a full crackdown on DRM. Any form of DRM that could potentially be used to restrict access to a product that you bought if, for instance, Steam shut down, needs to be regulated so that it can be easily turned OFF if Steam DOES shut down - otherwise, they'll essentially be damaging your property by making it unusable when their service closes.

Quality is subjective. As for your other points you are wrong. If in the last year a dev made 100,000 sales over a year period now they would make 25,000 over the same period and there would be 75,000 used sales on the digital flea market from which the orignal devs would see no money. A lot of smaller devs would go under.

>Hey console gamers, you know all those physical discs that you've been reselling for 30 years? Well, it's going to destroy the industry.
This is how dumb you sound.

Thank you, France. I hope it comes here, too. There are a few games I want to sell.

Since there's literally no difference between a new and used copy, people are just going to buy the used copies. And game publishers will have to increase prices on new games to make up for the lost revenue. Thanks, eurotards.

Really, that's all?
Wew that's some serious self cuckery in this thread over such a little thing.

>ramifications
>im-fucking-plying ramifications
So Gaben is now best friends with Sweeney and Amazon. That much money doesn't need some fucking retard on the internet acting as their defense force, they can cough up the money to elaborate on the matter themselves.

Chink fucking shills have more agency than people like this retard. At least they are intelligent enough to know this garbage isn't worth their time unless someone's paying them.

lol

Attached: 00.jpg (637x235, 70K)

But why and more importantly, how?

heavy.com/games/2017/10/studios-ea-has-killed-visceral-games/

This would kill Steam, Epic, and all other storefronts as a whole and leave only subscription shit.
Of course the tards think it's a good thing

france is so shit lmao

The only thing Valve fans love more than loot boxes is self-cucking.

yeah user, reselling your game is worse than piracy. What kind of mental gymnastics are you trying to pull here?

But they did. Its one of the reasons so many studios closed in the ps2 era and why studios started pushing DLC and multiplayer codes (remember those).

By "stopped making console games" it's obvious I was implying "went PC digital only" not "fucking died because EA is cancer."

there's no reason why I can't sell the license if they can sell it to me

If you are assuming Valve will just ignore the ruling and pay the fine then don't. If they do so they would get taken back to court.

>morally
Nigger, cruel economic structures historically leads to bloody revolutions, and more crime, it's not a completely "morals" based argument.

So what stops a company from buying "used" steam games and turning a profit selling brand new games for practically free?

first whinie poo,the belgians, the dutch and now the surrender frogs, gabe has to stop them now or else more goverments are going to go after the rest of the industry it will be the end of videogames

You can't sell a license to use a product, because you are not the owner of the product, only the physical copy and the right to consume it, although people still do
Ie: you can't resell a DVD, but it's impossible to track down
The problem is, they can encourage the law by blocking the digital good, and they do, hence this lawsuit, trying to give the right to sell a physical good as yours to software, known for being licensed use and not ownership
The judge is probably a boomer that basically got caught up in the tech jargon

Why?
Property rights.
How?
That's up to Valve.

Now explain why I shouldn't own a license after I buy it.
I'll wait.
Just know, when push comes to shove I do genuinely hope you get shit.

>Its one of the reasons so many studios closed in the ps2 era
[citation needed]
>why studios started pushing DLC and multiplayer codes
Nigger do you seriously believe they didn't do it just because that makes them more money?

Yeah this, most companies would have to pay people to go on forums and start gaslighting their own customers into giving up their consumer rights voluntarily. Steamdrones do it for free. I saw a big post before about how this would be "bad for us gamers" lmao.

Whose property rights? When you buy a game on steam you're also signing up to use their services for free.

It's practically same thing on physical console games and has been like that since, like, what NES days.
Sure there's no way to enforce it but it is there.

>You can't sell a license to use a product, because you are not the owner of the product, only the physical copy and the right to consume it
America everybody

>Whose property rights?
The consumer
>When you buy a game on steam you're also signing up to use their services for free
So? Do I not own my TV because I sat on a bench in the electronics store?
I don't get what you are trying to say.

Valve will just come out with some clause where you can only sell the games right back to them for pennies on the dollar in exchange for steam wallet balance.

I'm not making the rules or supporting them. I'm explaining how they work now.
Only owners can sell a license of use. When you buy a movie you don't become the owner. You become a licensed consumer of the title, and they have the right to revoke that right on any given moment.
The thing is, the good was a physical copy, so they could not encourage the law. Now they can with digital goods.
You can't sell a steam game because you are not the owner, you are a literal subscriber of the service that grants you the right to consume the product. For personal use only.
The current matter would be account reselling, that goes against the tos, because people could create businesses selling accounts. And they do, but low key, and valve can block the account off they find out, or if they care to do it