Game has artificial difficulty

>game has artificial difficulty

Attached: 1549196686876.jpg (330x381, 73K)

all difficulty is artificial

>ITS FAIR BRO
>get killed in an inescapable boss room

Attached: 1536676076707.jpg (399x400, 16K)

all from software games

This. The term "artificial difficulty" makes no sense. Could some one explain what it is and what makes it "artificial?"

My friend was told that the bossfights in DMC3 had artificial difficulty because Vergil had more hp than Dante. So then he insisted that it is only fair that Dante would use healing items. ?_?_?_?_???

>enemy has an affinity for you

Attached: signal-2016-12-28-211728.jpg (969x932, 153K)

>WAS TOLD
I meant to say ONCE TOLD.

Technically all difficulty is artificial in games

>hardest difficulty is locked unless you beat the game once

Attached: 1519510100027.gif (198x195, 2.22M)

A player choosing to use a bow will have a significantly easier time than someone using magic for example.
It's stupid because I want to choose a playstyle, not a difficulty. and I feel like I'm being pushed into Bow usage.

>artificial difficulty wasn't a term
>dark souls get ported to PC
>suddenly it becomes a thing

Attached: 1568864974318.jpg (500x377, 99K)

What is the difference between "you just need to git gud" and unfair?

I'd say artificial difficulty only could exist in turn based games where for example the enemy gets more turns than you or something like that where it's very clear that your opponent has advantages and is capable of something you can't do.
In real time action games it's much harder to give an enemy an absolute advantage and often people just misuse the term

If you can beat it then it is git gut. But if you cant then it is unfair. Thats why Dark Souls became such a git gut thing because well it is not really hard but it doesnt have slider for easy setting sooo..

>you need to git gud: boss has tons of health and damage
>unfair: enemy can damage you without touching your player model

Attached: magnet-hollow.gif (294x233, 967K)

I wanna punch this stupid fucking dog right in his dumb ugly face

Rubber banding in racing games. Level scaling enemies.

>artificial difficulty
harder mode just increases numbers, enemy hp, damage, accuracy, quantity, etc.

>not artificial difficulty
harder mode increase the AI efficiency or re-arrange stuff in the level.

What are these memes answers. Even if the enemy doesnt physically hit you you should be smart enough to understand how video games operate and how to avoid it from happening the next time.

I'd say the dog rats in Doors of Pharros in DaS2 count as unfair

>fast
>small
>inflict toxic with 1-2 bites
>attacks by leaping at you fast
>never encountered alone

>hardest difficulty is locked
>game starts with easy and normal
>after you beat the game it only unlocks hard so you have to play the game on hard to unlock the highest difficulty

>you just need to git gud
You actually realize the game is easy the more you play and figure the mechanics
>unfair
you can have played a thousand hours and it is still a coinflip if you'll come off on top

thats how i feel at least

shut the hell up

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 2.56M)

Artificial difficulty is when the game after teaching you and defining its rules, bounds and limitations and mechanics goes and break these from their organic form to add more challenge to the player.
AI cheating is an example of artificial difficulty.
The game doesn't improve from the ground of its mechanics to challenge you, it skips and corner cuts some things to "appear" to be more complex and difficult.

Newfag

git gud most games
unfair dice rolls/% chance

samsam bro

>you just need to git gud
darg zouls xddd
>unfair
super street fighter 2 turbo

Trial and error gameplay is a big one. You should be able to overcome an obstacle through your own skill not because you memorized where a bunch of hidden instant death spots are.

input reading

yeah I agree, you can adapt to pretty much anything but that doesn't mean that some game mechanics can't be unfair.
you can't predict when a game is going to introduce some glitched way of killing you and in that case it's reasonable to call it unfair

Enemy moving much faster and you having endless recovery time between one move and the other while the enemy has none

>game has natural difficulty

Attached: 1241840883966.gif (320x240, 54K)

This makes no sense. What if that harder mode was the "intended" and "balanced" one while all the lower ones have artificial easyness?
I could name a few games where the AI essentially have damage and health penalties that are only lifted on the highest difficulty. Is that somehow "artificial"?

Games that are artificially difficult are ones that exploit the system in ways a human couldn't, do things the player can't including when they are attacking and defending, don't give the player a chance to learn, shove a ton of bullshit at the player at once and with any of this punish the player for losing with no chance to recuperate. Things like Dark Souls, Pokemon's postgame facilities or fighting game AI on max difficulty.

Good difficulty is where the player can clearly see where or what they did wrong, can't easily blame it on the system but rather on themselves, can easily reassess and try again quickly and with no major punishment or the ability to gain what you lost after being punished. Games like Cuphead, Hollow Knight, RPGs like Pokemon (in its story) and Persona come to mind.

hmm okay. But very good example is the grab attack of Iron Giant from das1. The hitbox is fucked. You might get caught at first. But I've seen people getting caught repeatedly and they just keep blaming it on the hitboxes or whatever you wanan call them.

>Git gud
Low RNG amounts
>Unfair
High RNG amounts

literally just this It's as simple as that, that's what this stupid fucking term was used to describe bad difficulty options back in the day. Anyone saying anything different is just adding their own headcanon to use it in one of their shitty arguments.

All AI input read on some level. It would be stupid to make a complex visual parser to try and make the AI "see" when they can just directly be told what's happening. The difference is that some of them have no built-in lag for this input reading making their reaction times humanly impossible.

>All AI input read
It doesn't read or utilize the reading if you don't program it to, mr. Retard.

Games usually have a default difficulty. When the higher ones have what was described to be harder, that's what people called artificial difficulty. It's just a term that people used to answer "how's the higher difficulties" in 2 simple words. Why do you retards have to ruin everything? Language is a tool to ease communication, not to complicate it even more.

Git Good is used when a game is hard based on knowledge or some sort of skillful gameplay element like reaction times/dodgeing where you know whats about to happen and have to use the tools given to you to avoid/prepare for it.

Unfair is even if you have mastered the game in its core mechanics, it has ones that reduce the game to chance or unavoidable things that arent present in other situations.

EX: Git gud = Learning how to abuse a dodge/block function, learning mobility, min maxing stats for the occasion, and memorizing enemy attack patterns.

EX: Unfair = Random Crits, Trial by Error death areas, control being taken away with no handicap, and general unavoidable things that even with prior knowledge are a gamble.

Reading the player's inputs and reading the memory to see the player character's current action and position are essentially identical and you'll need the latter to have your AI react to the player. If you don't program a delay into this the AI will be able to react as soon as your character starts an action.
Unless your game has intentional input lag this will happen as soon as you press the button and is pretty much identical to just directly reading player inputs.
You can't have reactive AI without some level of input reading.

This, artificial difficulty is when AI cheats, for example if in strategy game AI can create large army with small amount of rescources and just swarms the player with wave after wave of enemies.

cheat engine .exe has not stopped working