Was the success of GTA online the worst thing to happen to Rockstar?

Was the success of GTA online the worst thing to happen to Rockstar?

Attached: d114qxtarp401.jpg (960x693, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

destructoid.com/gta-v-publisher-we-can-do-more-microtransactions-with-our-under-monetized-users-439163.phtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're not the target audience anymore. If R* spouted out games like other AAA devs, they would be complete garbage.

>Was the success of GTA online the worst thing to happen to Rockstar?
Yes. Fuck them and 2K for killing one of my favorite racing game franchises

Attached: 43800-midnight-club-3-dub-edition-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg (800x1157, 261K)

doesn't matter. rockstar has been trash since gta4

>gta online makes then billlons every year
>stop releasing games entirely
Its more about them being lazy fuckers. There was a 2 year gap between gta 5 and max payne 3, so they are capable of making modern games in short timeframes.

>income of billions per year
>being lazy
kek they are handling with care, it's the only way they can go from making billions to trillions

The internet was in general the worst thing to happen to humans

They need to try a new game. Not a sequel.

Disagree. Humans were the worst thing to happen to the Internet.

you know they have multiple studios right?

it took them 5 years to make GTA V, it was their big project, and it turned out to be the most profitable thing they've ever done, as expected. RDR2 is a two-years-milking-cow, they're already working in GTA VI and probably some other games already. It's all about investment/profit, not what some retard wants to play

I know you think you sounded smart here but the internet literally doesn't exist without humans

Yes. I don't even understand why it is or was so popular. Tried playing it for a couple months at release & found it incredibly boring with barely anything to do. None of the dlc made me want to go back to it because I knew I'd have to spend money to unlock shit & progress.

You gotta be a sad person to spend heaps of money on a game you already paid for.

Which all do nothing nowadays.

>no game in 5 years after gta 5
>even though they used to release one every 2 years before that

They have become like valve. Found a cash cow and become lazy.

Are we going to pretend this did'nt happen?

Attached: trying to change history.jpg (330x241, 23K)

oh god

What an incredible time it was when we got GTA3, VC, and SA all in the span of 3 years.
Imagine already having another GTA between 4 and 5.

WoW killed Blizzard and Steam killed Valve so yes, GTA Online is killing R*. They're going to be so fixated on their money-printer that they'll forget how to make games and the talent will make for the exits.

GTAV and RDR2 are both inferior to their predecessors though.

Attached: 1568190512448.jpg (224x205, 4K)

I never played online but I still think R* is the best AAA dev that ever existed. If shitty online ensures that they keep making games, I'm okay with it.

>You're not the target audience anymore

yeah, now post that shitty gtaiv physics video and call rdr2 a walking simulator in 3,2,1

gtas are humor games and 5 is the funniest. So you are wrong sweatie.

>If shitty online ensures that they keep making games
It literally ensures the opposite. Their game releases are 5 years apart now instead of 2 years as gta online makes them enough cash for them to release nothing.
We would've got at least one game in 2015 if gta online flopped.

All jokes aside, is Rockstar North the developer with the best track record?

dude have you played rdr2? that game can't be made in a standard 3 year game cycle.

>9 studios need five years for one game

Attached: firefox_PM46XM7Jrp.png (415x549, 47K)

but they made the fucking game of the decade, it wont be surpassed in 10 years even. screencap this. there is literally no other dev team that could make a truly open world game with that level of polish, graphical fidelity and detail, it doesn't exist.

destructoid.com/gta-v-publisher-we-can-do-more-microtransactions-with-our-under-monetized-users-439163.phtml

Yes

Attached: 1445705519872.gif (220x212, 2.57M)

Which game?

>tfw RDR2 seems to be going down the same path with its online bullshit

Attached: 1567045556465.jpg (784x784, 60K)

GTAIV is literally boring brown garbage. Get some fucking taste nigger

Yes.

>Howdy pardner have fun with this 2 hour long UNSKIPPABLE movie
>Alright pardner now just go horsebackridin' 'fer another 3 hours!

PEAK SOUL!! GOTY! SO MUCH DETAIL AND POLISH

> Sequel to LA Noire never ever

Fuck Rockstar

Are you special? RDR2 is literally a fucking walking/horseback simulator. No amount of minutia and detail could cover up that fact.

>ywn play as a detective in the Chicago PD during the 70s.

Why are we alive?

Here's your modern industry bro

Attached: 1562364975221.jpg (1471x1000, 412K)

2006 was peak.

Ping Pong and Bully. Just pushing boundaries all the time.

It's amazing how far the company fell in 10 years

Damn, i never seen it put out like this

They caught valve-itis

games got too expensive to make so now we got nothing except 1-2 games every console cycle. With next gen consoles having even better hardware expect companies to release 1 game in the next 8 years.

Thats capitalism guys, they have no incentive to make something unique or good if their repetitive online shit sells.

It's the success of that stupid fucking in-game currency you morons keep buying. Whatever makes the most money is what companies are going to tend to do. Want them to make more new game? Buy games instead of retarded microtransactions and DLC. Unfortunately, you people are too stupid to comprehend such a simple economic principle.

I can count the microtransactions I've bought on zero hands. I can count the DLC I've bought on one hand, and all were major content updates akin to the expansion packs of ye olden times when people weren't fucking stupid. Never have I bought horse armor DLC. The 12-year-olds on Yea Forums probably don't even know what horse armor is referring to. Fucking christ, you little shits are inundated with this bullshit from birth and don't even realize that something better is possible.

so RDR 2 is definitely coming to PC right?

Yes but if you hack the online yous wont be receiving new content

next year with the 'remastered' ps5 version.

last rpg i played was botw in early 2018 so i hope its coming soon. RPG drought this year has been crazy.
no sekiro and dmc dont count.

>RPG
The fuck are you on

rdr2 is an rpg retard

No its not you dumb cunt

they still delievered with RDR2 even if there's no DLC for Singleplayer in sight and probably never will, i was worried that after the GTA Online BS they would forget how to make proper games but RDR2 was solid, im not taking into consideration its MP as that was obviously gonna be all about them trying to emulate GTA online and if you didn't see that from miles away then you are an unironic retard

Attached: 1553037000937.jpg (500x500, 46K)

Yes, they don't feel the need to pump out games anymore because they get more than enough for hookers and blow through shark card bullshit.

>role play as arthur
>isnt a ROLE PLAYing game

Attached: 1564844086985.jpg (480x478, 35K)

RDR online is nothing like GTA

Who even is the target audience for gta online?
What do you even do?

It's the Valve problem.

Publisher finds something that has insane profits that doesn't require them to push out new content, like Steam; thus, they have little incentive to make new products.

GTAV online will eventually go down, but I doubt it's at the point where R* sees a need to put out a new game.

>every game were you play as someone is an RPG
Fuck outta here

i ment that they would try to make it grindy af in order to force people to buy gold bars, wich was the case on release, i haven't keep up with any updates so i don't know if they un-fucked it but i got my fill of RDR2 after having a blast with SP and dropped after like you do with any great game, MP in that game was just an aftertought even if it was somewhat fun in the original to fuck around with

When will GTA online die?

Depends, creatively, yes it was the worst thing to happen. From a perspective of profit it was the best thing to happen to them.

Much like Valve and the Steam platform. They no longer needer to actively grind those creative juices after finding a goldmine that was passively much more profitable with mere maintenance.

Every company who isn't in it for the passion of making games as art, are ultimately seeking the transition to games as a service so they don't depend on churning out new projects or sequels at a steady enough rate to keep the cash flowing in.

They brought out an outlaw pass that ranks up quite fast with cool unlocks but it costs 35 gold bars every month or 2. Also they brought out a bounty hunter role but didn't tell anyone you have to buy a bounty hunter licence which costs 15 gold bars. Complete bastards

>Every company who isn't in it for the passion of making games as art, are ultimately seeking the transition to games as a service so they don't depend on churning out new projects or sequels at a steady enough rate to keep the cash flowing in.
I've been saying this for years. It's the future and it's unavoidable.

>oi m8, you got a loicence for that character?

Attached: dan houser.jpg (306x423, 22K)