The Guardian's Top 50 Video Games of the 21st Century

theguardian.com/games/2019/sep/19/50-best-video-games-of-the-21st-century

Attached: Screenshot_20190919-074308_Chrome.jpg (1080x2220, 742K)

>doing for the open-world game what half-life 2 did for the first person shooter
make them boring piles of shit?

>the guardian
This is not an endorsement that you want.

Attached: 1462731327176.jpg (558x845, 215K)

Not a terrible list. Not sure why MGS V was on there. Even the writer knew it's controversial since he started off with roasting it and then concluded on "it's at least interesting!". The absolute state of Kojimafags, they will never ever admit the games are trash and are only played for the insanely sexist and demeaning portrayal of female characters.

I bet there's a bunch of bullshit made by and featuring trannies and femoids on there. Is Gone Home part of it? Her Story?
All the recent shit put out by Naughty Dog? I bet they all are.

Attached: 1568839860873.jpg (610x592, 39K)

Only thing that sucks in MGS V was the unfinished story, but story is literally the least important part of a game. MGS V is at least 8/10 game.

Attached: 1450881734135.jpg (284x284, 21K)

I take it back, this actually isn't a completely horseshit list. Laughable that movie garbage like RDR2 and TLOU are on there but Sekiro isn't. Maybe they didn't include this year because it isn't over yet.

Attached: 1568569250255.png (918x851, 572K)

>the guardian
nigger use an archive, what the fuck is wrong with you?

>SingStar
>Papers,Please
>Forza
>Wii Sports

>No Final Fantasy game whatsoever

why are they doing this now there are still 80 years to go

It looks like they limited themselves to one game per franchise. I'm kinda peeved that Odyssey got picked over Galaxy. But then Zelda gets two fucking entries. Kinda ruins the list.

FFX should have been on there in place of any of the walking sims they chose. JRPGs in general are absent from this list, which speaks to the reviewer's limited scope. No Undertale/LISA? No Shovel/Hollow Knight? Any of those deserves a spot over freaking Spelunky.

Kudos for picking Minecraft as #1. Ten years down the line and that game is still stupidly popular with kids and adults.

Environment design is pretty poor if you ask me, which is a big knock against a stealth title.

Outside of the double Zelda, it looks like they were trying to limit things to one game per franchise/series. Dark Souls perfectly represents all the FromSoft games. No need to add another.

Where the fuck is League of Legend and why isn't it number 1!!???

Sound about right.

The bases themselves are really well design, and carry a lot of the best ideas from previous titles. The space in between them is where people take issue, and rightly so.

Dwarf Fortress isn't even on the list.
What a bunch of fucking casuals. This is like a parody of people with shit taste.

That's actually a good point. If they're gonna include crap like Overwatch and Fortnite for their popularity and influence, then LoL deserves a spot for skyrocketing MOBAs into a casual genre.

The bases are definitely the best part, but I wouldn't say it's universally true for all bases. There are some really standout ones, usually where the bigger story missions take place like rescuing Huey, but there are other enemy bases which didn't feel that interesting to sneak through. Then again, my definition of base may be a bit broader than what you're talking about.

>minecraft at number 1
>tlou on the list at all
>tw3 dark souls and hl2 in the top 5
LOL

Funny, I thought the Afghan base was the dullest since it's mostly just wide and flat. The mansion and base where you finish Volgin's quest line are my standouts.

Wait wait, don't tell me. Nothing before the seventh generation except for Nintendo properties?

They've got Deus Ex in there. No JRPGs or RTSes.

This is the greatest game ever made. If you think otherwise, you're simply wrong.

Attached: metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater.jpg (580x818, 94K)

HL2 is 4th.
Rent fucking free.

It's been a while since I played it but I remember the base having quite a few different methods of approach in spite of it being pretty flat and open. That being said the mansion is definitely a big standout for me, too. I'd put it above the Afgan base for sure.

>10. Ethnic Cleansing
Based and redpilled

>Singstar, Papers Please, Forza, Wii Sports
All valid entries, they all bring either something to the medium or are the best in their genres
>No Final Fantasy
What Final Fantasy game released after 2000 would qualify?

>the guardian

gonehomo and ps4 movie simulators?

>21st century
>not even 1/5th over
Why do they do this?

The only one that deserves a spot on there is FF9, but it came out in 2000. Agreed on the rest of the games though, FF sure has gone downhill.

They've got two GTA games, two Zelda games, Bloodborne and Dark Souls, and probably some other stuff I missed. What're you on about? Sekiro had no stats/builds and its core combat has nothing to do with Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

Attached: 1568755841237.gif (300x300, 438K)

>Overwatch and Fortnite in the top 50
Aaaand stopped reading. I hate zoomers so fucking much.

IT'S
A
FUCKING
DESERT

>dwarf fortress isn't even in the list
because it's shit for neckbeards to circlejerk over with what's probably the worst UI in the history of games
>j-just get a tileset you casual!
no, eat my ass, that's like saying skyrim is the best rpg ever because you can mod it to make it somewhat less shit
there are better base/city builders around that don't give me visual cancer and infinitely more comfy at the cost of very slightly less freedom/difficulty

>the Guardian
Its automatic trash. Get this shit off this board

>the guardian

Attached: 1565730537782.jpg (1024x768, 74K)

He is shitting on half life not zelda brainlet

>No Final Fantasy game whatsoever
BASED