Overrated Games

Post games you think are wildly overrated.

Earthbound
>Gameplay that feels like a chore in every possible aspect, including a combat system that is tediously slow and simple, and an item system that is painful to use
>Awful "charming" graphics that only an autistic person could find appealing
>Quirky writing and retarded plot that speak solely to hipster/man-child sensibilities, creating one of the worst fan bases of all time

Really makes you wonder why it was a flop

Attached: 600full-earthbound-screenshot.png (512x448, 7K)

>Really makes you wonder why it was a flop
It flopped in the west because the game released with a massive book that inflated the price and it was the only way to buy the game so most kids didn't bother with it. Not to mention they had a tagline which was "this game STINKS" because of the gross-out humor of the 90s I guess but that just makes it sound like you're calling the game bad.
What the fuck were the localization team thinking?

God of War

Attached: God_of_War_Lookout_Tower_collectibles__0010_Layer_1.0.jpg (1200x800, 132K)

They must have thought the game was going to be such a smash hit that people would be more than willing to pay an inflated price.

Disagree but would like to hear your reasoning

>>Awful "charming" graphics that only an autistic person could find appealing
What does that even mean.

This.
Like tlou It's another walk simulator that I'd rather stay away from that.

I rented it from blockbuster and it came with some gigantic ass case, maybe a book? hard to member

Autistics often have trouble realizing taste is subjective

It means bright, primary colours and basic shapes that have a child-like quality

They expected people to have some sense of humor

It has waaaaay to much downtime. I wouldn't be surprised if 2/3rds of the game was either walking or rowing that fucking canoe. Combat after awhile gets stale and only gets interesting again once a certain "item" comes out. I have more issues but it would just be nitpicking at this point. But regardless it was a good game but not enough to warrant all those 10/10 "MASTERPIECE" awards it got.

>Underrated on release
>Overrated by youtubers 20 years later
>Underrated by some making a thread in Yea Forums again

This is the perfect 7.5/10 game, stop the debate already

Reasonable complaints. For whatever reason, I really enjoyed the combat

Tried playing it, couldn't get into it and don't think I'm missing out on much. Nobody ever really has anything to say about Earthbound beyond the absolute usual
>Itoi based Gigyas off a murder scene he thought was a rape scene he saw as a kid!
>Whoaaa the room before Gigyas is shaped like a fetus!
And that's it. Nobody ever has anything interesting to say about it. Bring up Undertale? People talk about determination, about the implications of x plot point, about how x was fun and memorable. Nobody does that with Earthbound. People revere it because they feel they're supposed to.

There's more Earthbound discussion outside of a couple of Youtube Top 10 Spooky Gamer Moments videos.

i think the stalker games are overrated, at least on Yea Forums
it's not like they're bad or anything but every time i see someone talking about them it's like they're some of the best games ever made or something

Shitty tech demo

Attached: 220px-Half-Life_2_cover.jpg (220x313, 23K)

With mods they're quite good.

none of the games in this series are above average
sure, but they aren't that good

HOW DARE YOU. HOW ABSOLUTELY DARE YOU, SIR. HOW DARE YOU.

Tumblrtale

And they probably were correct. That faggot you replied to is just repeating what Frank Cuckfaldi and drones always say.

The gameplay is an absolute chore indeed, alongside with the the inventory system, they feel like they are there to hold you back from enjoying the game and to make it 3 times as long as it needed to be. I loved the art style, the music, the atmosphere, and the quirky writing, and I legit cried when I finished the game, so I think back to it as a positive experience, but sadly it didn't age too well. Those who played it as a child probably like it more, but I never even played a JRPG back then.

Fucking DDLC
I swear I've played the exact same game 10 times before but this iteration had generic waifus in it

YAWWWNNNNNNN

Attached: 7875.article-header-image.jpg (610x312, 50K)

Ocarina of Time
I don't have the nostalgia glasses to enjoy this game, it's only popular because soiboys grew up playing it.

Attached: Legend-of-Zelda-The-Ocarina-of-Time-U-V1.0-snap0002.jpg (512x384, 140K)

>sure, but they aren't that good
They're pretty grand, man. Really bring the worlds of these games to life in ways vanilla never could. The A-Life is something you don't often see outside of high profile AAA video games. Sellin' em short. Vanilla STALKER is charming, but modded STALKER is something great.

Resident evil games outside of 4 and 5.

Literally every game ever made is overrated and bad because I don't like them, prove me wrong

Attached: 7b8fb826b44b4554cc26dc7418f14098.jpg (424x525, 109K)

Shut up nigger

A lot of it is definitely nostalgia, yes. But lots of people played lots of different games when they were growing up and those feel nostalgic too, yet OoT is consistently called one of the greatest games of all time. So for this reason, I think it's unfair to say that it is only popular because people played it growing up

this mess.

Mainly because people seem to suck the final speech being delivered by a lying piece of shit AI that boils down to "WE CONTROL A SOCIETY BY CENSORING SHIT WE DON'T LIKE" that doesn't even get brought up in MGS4

Attached: MGS2Box.jpg (640x908, 106K)

>There are still Raiden haters to this very day

Blasphemous, it's a heaping pile of shit. Although the art direction was superb.

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 47K)

literally any Zelda game
I enjoy them but can't understand why people consistently call them the best game ever made when they're really just simple action/adventure games.

It is honestly a good game, just not for everyone. I see your point for the menus, but at least for me the combat was on point, and pretty frantic later on. Item system made you use items, which is fine in my opinion. Again, the menus could feel and will probably feel awful in the first hours.
For graphics, I would have preferred to not ask you since this is usually how shitshows starts, but have you played past the very first areas? Earthbound world is pretty diverse from an area to another, and probably there are some zones you would like later on. If you just dislike the art style in general, that's honestly taste.
As for the story, it is pretty basic, I give you that. Mother 1 and 3 have better plots overall.

I never mentioned Raiden once, your strawman is useless

Hard to be overrated when no one has even heard of it

like... houses? and trees?

I can relate to a lot in Earthbound. Maybe you just can't because you grew up differently. I had to move around a lot and kept making/losing friends because of it, went from a small town to a bigger city, played outside a lot and got attacked by animals a couple times. had to deal with gangs of kids who might attack you, had to deal with religious people trying to force me to think the way they do, and so on, and that's all done in the game. It just resonates with me seeing someone else go through it too.

Aside from that, I think the gameplay is fun. I usually don't like turn-based games but not having random encounters removed a big annoyance. Planning your attacks and actions is fun and maybe not too deep on its own, but with the scrolling health meter it can get a bit hectic. And I usually like some other Japanese games that seem to embrace western settings but put their own spin on it, like they did with Silent Hill and DMC too.

It was a joke you dense faggot
You happen to be right so be happy and have a good day

Listen dude, don't beat yourself up, someday you'll be someone and not a no one.

Houses and trees don't need to be drawn using bright, primary colours and basic shapes. I would think that was plainly obvious

Attached: final-fantasy-1-gba-screen-shot-2016-08-25-12-48-pm-2.jpg (1197x1052, 206K)

I never saw what was supposed to be so god damn amazing about this generic pixel-shit. The story is really cringe and the gameplay is ok but not some masterpiece that people were hyping it up as.

Attached: 7011906B-37F8-4171-8467-46356299F40A.png (676x676, 409K)

>LOOK AT THIS GAME, IT WAS MADE BY ONE GUY
It's like, yeah, I can tell

'Overrated' doesn't mean anything

Not only that, obviously, but that is likely the main reason. I just don't get what's so great about it. I love old games, and I tried getting into OoT, but I didn't find it fun, the N64 controls and the 11 fps frame rate didn't help either. I think I'll try LttP instead, at least that looks nice.

Thanks pal
Maybe I will try Blasphemous

Overrated means disproportionately popular or respected considering the substance. If you mean that it's subjective, you're right.

RDR
it's a very good ubisoft open world game at best

It was one of the first though, right? Having one indie dev make a retro-styled pixel platformer was actually a semi-original idea at the time.

I suppose, but that doesn't make the content any better

Fuckin' based

Cave Story is literally my favourite game, indie pixelshit platformer with chip/synth music is my favourite genre. But yeah, nothing can suit everyone's taste.

It was one of the first and it was free.

Nier Automata
>has some of the worst combat from platinum games
>story and music are overrated and both are pretty terrible. The music is either boring and ambient or stands out against everything and is grainy as fuck (one moment comes to mind when you go to the robot village)
>2B has zero personality. I would have cared about 9S more if he was around more but I’m not even complaining because it’s not like he’d save the game either.
>graphics look like ass
>game makes you replay it to see the whole game but it’s not even fun the first time

Attached: 54FEE53B-F059-4D5A-B774-9A0488E20B2A.jpg (600x1008, 91K)

The controls and graphics really are a barrier now. You probably wouldn't like LttP either. Decide whether you want to play a 2D one or a 3D (because they're really like two separate series in terms of gameplay) and go with something a little more modern like Wind Waker or Minish Cap.

>oh hey an fps ga-
>lol no air boat
>back to shooti-
>lol no car section
>surely this next par-
>gravity gun only
>at least the enemy's a vari-
>lol no combines and zombies only
>maybe the guns are interes-
>lol no stock standard weapons
>at least I can go anywher-
>lol no let kliener finish talking
>the silent protagonist is fi-
>alex never stops talking, making it pointless.

just why is it so bad compared to HL1?

If she wasn't mega hot no one would have played this game. Really shows the power of sex appeal.

The only part I liked was the airboat. Except it just throws you in a linear segment of narrow corridors so what's the point. HL2 is shit.

>final-fantasy-1-gba-screen-shot

Attached: 1402307995293.jpg (226x199, 16K)

silent hill.

they control like shit and the horror really falls flat. good music tho

1-3 are not overrated at all and if you think they are, you're probably slow

I practically (=literally) never play 3D games, so I guess I'd rather try a 2D one. Minish Cap looks nice, I'll try that, thanks.

>muh manly trees game

>I just don't get what's so great about it.
It's the atmosphere, it's just that good.

Child link part is a 3/10 and adult link is a 9/10. I honestly think Twilight Princess is better since it has higher highs (despite having lower lows with wolf link)

Ah, fellow men of culture.

Attached: 1566849009717m.jpg (1024x765, 106K)

any zelda desu