Why is Final Fantasy 8 hated again

Just finished it and thought it was great

Attached: FF8.png (1754x706, 1.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/FinalFantasy_201708
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tiny brained FF7 fans who can't handle 8's storytelling - and I generally don't like saying that, but FF7 fans are fucking dumb.

a lot of projecting in this thread

Everything about it is shit outside of music and Triple Triad.
That's the long and short of it.

Completely untrue

> Just finished it
You're probably missing the context of the time it was created in then. Final Fantasy 7 had just made JRPGs mainstream, so you had a lot of people that were new to the series and genre expecting something more like a direct sequel to FF7 with a similar atmosphere. Then, instead, of a vaguely steampunk / fantasy game, they get a teenage soap opera with some trendy witches mixed in. Plus it had a battle system that made spells a disposable item that you could run out of, instead of something you equipped and then expended energy to use. Functionally, it was just a different kind of way of managing the resource, but a lot of people griped about it, since FFVII was their only frame of reference for JRPGs and thus everything should play the same. Overall, it's not a bad game, but it wasn't the FFVII sequel that a lot of new fans of the series were expecting.

Of course, there were also people that didn't play FFVII, but were familiar with the hype over it. So they started with FFVIII, because that's what was current when they got around to trying the series, and that's probably where a lot of VIII's fans come from.

>he doesn't know how to refine

refine doesn't change nor help drawing magic and the games stupid as shit story.

In some ways it's better than 7

It's easily broken and feels overly focused on the mediocre romance
The pacing is also very off given shit like disc 2 having literally 3 things happening in it if you don't go out of your way to unlock everything and visit every area you can

And why doesn't it you can easily stock on high level magic by the end. it throws wizard stones at you.

It's tedious and once your done the game is effortless. It's fundamentally busted.

I didn't find it tedious learning how to make high level magic was part of the fun. Refining is an panned morphing system from FF7

Broken, kinda like the materia system

tutorials as long as kojima cutscenes makes replaying the starting hours a fucking chore.

You mean the 1 minute tutorial to navigate the GF menu.

FF7 doesn't have one scene that surpasses Squall carrying Rinoa to Esthar.

>refine doesn't change nor help drawing magic

Attached: Altina I don't understand.jpg (716x664, 64K)

Junction system is comparatively complex and frustrating to navigate, especially since you're constantly having to switch junctions between party members. That said, once you figure things out a bit it's the most rewarding and flexible system in FF outside of FF5.

Attached: ss_78b4237da2acd33fe7c848950b28f00d9684070e.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 389K)

>I want the game to play itself

Junction is an easy system to understand. the complexity comes from how items are refined.

Drawing is tedious.

You have to draw magic from enemies. It easily makes the game a chore to play. Period. If you could buy magic like in FF5, it wouldn't be so bad.

Draw and Junctioning were retarded
The love story was trash
These are the main complaints

Learn to refine

All the PS1 FFs are great. People are just tribalistic retards.

>The love story was trash
Watching Squall turn from someone who didn't care about Quistis problems. To will to take on the world for Rinoa made the love story not trash.

Level scaling and shit plot

Yes, it made it worse. He turned away a hot girl coming on to him to chase Seifer's used goods.
Then again, people do that all the time.

Vocal IXfags coping because their game is the black sheep of the franchise

Level scaling
>Card
>Enc-none
>Run away
>shit plot
Great characterization

some now irrelevant youtuber that somehow still earns a living wage of patreon despite not making content in years made a series about ff8 over a decade ago

The story and in particular the character writing goes way off the rails after disc 2. Mostly Squall, who undergoes a complete personality change.

The gameplay is not very well balanced. You generally either bumble along not really knowing how to exploit the junction system, or completely break it. There's very little to hold you back from exploiting the system once you know how to game it.

It's not terrible by any means, but it has some very obvious flaws.

I personally like some of the writing in Disc 1/2 and enjoy totally breaking games, so FFVIII is fine in my book.

I've always felt Squall and Rinoa's romance was really well fleshed out, as was their relationship with Seifer. The other party members are kind of weak but I just never understood people who say the romance wasn't well written and developed.

General's daughter > laid off teacher

>Junction system is comparatively complex and frustrating to navigate, especially since you're constantly having to switch junctions between party members
Yea real hard to understand you make the stat number higher.

Attached: 1552208092582.jpg (640x640, 126K)

>Mostly Squall, who undergoes a complete personality change.
Seifer was right, Squall is finally hitting puberty at 17 and chasing after a girl.

>Mostly Squall, who undergoes a complete personality change.
If you were paying attention you'd have noticed Squall slowly comes out of his shell throughout the second disc, and once you hit the scene on the Ragnarok his development is fulfilled.

Squall was just finally to warm up to Rinoa at the end of disc 2 (and this is done well). But after the disc change, he's madly in love with her and can't live without her.

The major issue with the Squall/Rinoa writing is what's missing between disc 2 and disc 3.

Drawing is simple once you boost your magic stat you get 9 every time easy. I was drawing with 60-120 magic stat with 9 draws everytime.

Yeah because they have a big moment on the Ragnarok where they confess and openly talk about their feelings while a romance song plays. Rinoa is also pretty much on death's door during the start of disk 3 and Squall is having a strong emotional response to it.

>Yeah because they have a big moment on the Ragnarok
Yes, that's way into disc 3. I'm talking about the START of disc 3, where Squall went from "maybe this Rinoa girl isn't so bad" to "RINOA I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU"

Like I said, I liked the build up till the end of disc 2, but they just skipped over things too quickly going into disc 3.

>"RINOA I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU"
>While she's in a coma
>While she's floating out in space
Squall calms down after they agree to meet at Matron's house.

>>"RINOA I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU"
>>While she's in a coma
*unzips*
*Fap fap fap fap fap*
I think squall is fucked up.

Attached: I'm so fucked up.jpg (600x345, 22K)

Well if you look at Squall's character though it makes a lot of sense. He's an orphan who from a young age shows a tendency to become very attached to particularly people as shown in his wanting "ellone all to himself and wouldn't let anyone else get close to her".
But then she's taken away and he's left alone, again, and decides to close himself off in order to "become strong", i read that to mean so he won't lose people anymore (his parents, ellone).
So then years go by of him being an outsider all the time and a loner until he finally meets someone who makes him open up.
It actually makes a lot of sense why he throws himself into that relationship after being cold for so long, that's basically his main way of handling emotions.
And so, why Rinoa? well she's not one of the orphanage kids like the other people he was close to were so he isn't emotionally as guarded against her and she's a female figure like Ellone was so some of it is projected feelings he had put away not getting a new target.
Perhaps this is a big misread on my part but that's how I saw it.

FF8 is truly the thinking man's Final Fantasy

I think about your dad's dick all day because i like it so much.

On Rinoa's side, you can see a lot of similarities between Rinoa's dad and Squall.
They're both militant types, Squall a mercenary leader and her dad a general
They both look alike if you look at their models
They're both rather taciturn and no nonsense
and both are very protective of her and in authority roles.
As opposed to Seifer who was basically the opposite of her dad and Squall (rebellious bad boy), Rinoa chooses to become super attached to Squall because he's basically a younger, sexually available version of her dad who she can put her trust in. Her big moment being when she confronts the Deling imposter monster and realizes how Seifers influence was shitty so looks to Squall instead.
It's a very Freudian reading but I think the correct one.

Really? how is it

It's not FFVII-2, it's a different game. FFVIII was definitely a flawed piece of work, but the usual complaints against it are criticisms you can lob against almost any FF.
>But you can break the game in half on Disc 1 if you exactly what monsters to card, who to fight for what cards, and basically shit you wouldn't know without looking it up first.
Newsflash, if you're playing FFs for difficulty, you're wasting your fucking time in the first place unless we're talking the NES era.
Thinking back know, FFVIII's biggest flaw was not sticking harder to the military college war deal...plot...thing it had going. It could have stayed a military romance and that would have been pretty fucking epic enough, but instead it got into the drug called time travel and things were never the same. Almost everything involving the Gardens are burned in my mind and can recall my emotions to them at the time. It really does start out so strong. Meanwhile, everything in disc 3 and beyond is like a blur, especially when they get to Esthar. Like I don't even remember how they end up there or why. Thinking about it now, I'm kinda depressed for what it could have been. Square must have felt it was getting too far away from it's roots so we had to have crazy ass time plot instead. Well at least it has awesome music, can't take that away.

But really, everyone hates it because it's not FFVII-2.

Attached: 1446837394804.webm (142x180, 132K)

Yeah I think this is pretty accurate. Had they kept it low fantasy with the politics as the main thing I think that probably would have been cool. The time travel stuff does seem kinda out there. Maybe they could have done like Witches as leaders of the countries and kept a lot of the same themes or something instead.

archive.org/details/FinalFantasy_201708
>i noticed this weird part at the beginning too.

The music is terrible too. The nine good things about VIII are: Laguna & Co + their backstory, Biggs & Wedge, Fujin & Raijin, casual only Triple Triad (because if you do it for stats, it becomes work, which ruins it), Final dungeon, Sea Research dungeon, Zell's Limit Break system, three songs in the OST (Maybe I'm a LIon, Man with the Machine Gun and Under Her Control) and the opening cutscene.

as usual, these fags blame everything but the actually shitty game.

It all started with this asshole.

Attached: 876875.png (703x393, 440K)

Not it didn't you colossal retard.
FFVIII always had a bad name for itself.

This guy started the "lol FFVIII is bad" meme for people who never played the game and you know it.

Nobuo is a god and you're either trolling or have an auditory disorder

Not nowadays. I thought 8 was the worst... until 13 came along.

Shit gameplay and shit story
It's not really a hard concept

Different user but I have no idea who that is but you are way too young if you think FFVIII hate started as late as fucking YouTube

I find it funny desu.
It's never that people can't just not have liked the game, it MUST be that they just didn't UNDERSTAND it or it MUST be SOMEONE ELSES fault that people hate it. It's impossible to even phantom for these folks that people just think it's shitty story and boring ass game play (b-b-but you can break it so that means its good now!!!) made it a bad game

i couldn't care less why you don't like the game, bud.
you're perfectly welcome to have shit taste

It was well liked at release and for a while afterwords at least.

but Rinoa as a love interest was shit. Hell, she is the second worst love interest OF THE ENTIRE SERIES

Yet people make threads bitching about it all the time, so clearly a large subset of the FF8 fans are pissy about it.
I mean this is literally the most common non-MMO FF related thread I see on Yea Forums. People bitching about others not liking 8

FFVIII has literally always been divisive.

And people who don't like it always stream in acting like FFVIII committed some heinous crime and feel an incessant need to scream about the same shit over and over like their opinion is of the utmost importance to everyone

>a /pol/ blog

no thanks

Ah, the strawman FF8 fans use whenever someone criticizes FF8

No, she's the worst. Penelo isn't a love interest.

>No, she's the worst. Penelo isn't a love interest.

whoever said I was talking about Penelo as a love interest. The worst love interest in the FF series is Luna from XV