It's time to talk about the greatest rpg of all time

It's time to talk about the greatest rpg of all time

Attached: Morrowind Bridge.jpg (1024x768, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1568875372671.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=46gaz6veVNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=F7qyxSfUceE
youtube.com/watch?v=IGLGi5RK8V8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZzjvWQCND54
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That ain't Daggerfall.

OP said greatest, not most overrated by boomers

based

cringe

my hot steaming shit is a better rpg than snorrowind

How can you kill a God?

how did they get away with that much fog/short viewing distance

what’s good about daggerfall?

Oblivion had funner NPCs and better quest.

Morrowind has a better world, story, and interesting things.

I've never played Tribunal or Bloodmoon but the Shivering Isles can't be topped.

Ok but we'll need the correct picture for that.

Attached: Fallout2.jpg (220x220, 18K)

that's not KOTOR

Attached: why yes.jpg (500x500, 98K)

>Fable
>RPG

But we’re already having hourly FFVII threads

oblivion. i cant fucking play morrowind i tried two times and it feels like I am running a program on some 1950s radar proto game system. The graphics look like a child's drawing, and the gameplay seems coded by the first human being to invent coding.

best rpg ever, fantastic soundtrack
whimsy

YOUR CHOICES HAVE CONSEQUENCES

increasing the view distance past the default max actually ruins the immersion desu

You must be 18 years old to post here

Nice, I considered fixing my life but instead I installed Morrowind and I'm learning to play Mahjong.

Are there any essential mods for a first run? I don't really want to just throw MGO in.

KOTOR is trash compared to KOTOR II

I'm well aware gramps, I said oblivion not Skyrim

Gothic 2?

Yeah, you complained about graphics and gameplay and said oblivion was superior
If you're not literally a child then you are mentally

Just bug fixes and LGNPC
You might want a face mod, but they all break from the game's art style pretty hard and can be distracting

>tfw playing it on android while idling at work
it's fun

Attached: Screenshot_20190917-155546.jpg (1280x720, 504K)

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1568875372671.webm

Attached: morrowind.jpg (500x375, 46K)

>morrowind touch screen

You didn't destroy the heart and get false ending, right?

Attached: True Ending.webm (800x600, 2.92M)

Ok you fags you meme me into playing Morrowind and so far its pretty fun but I have some questions
>what is with the random Assassins trying to kill me while I sleep?
>your personality goes down over time or what? Suddenly Im down to 14 even when I started with 40 did someone fucking infect me with some shit or what?
>Im going spear because other ES games didnt have them, its a viable weapon class?
I dont know why everybody bitchs about the walking speed, its not that bad

Attached: 1557687312476.jpg (700x350, 63K)

would have been nice if the fake wraithguard route allowed you to usurp the heart or something

>>what is with the random Assassins trying to kill me while I sleep?
I believe that's added in one of the DLCs to start a storyline

I certainly don't want anything that breaks the original art style.

nice meme

It's also literally a bug, they're really strong and carry game-breakingly expensive equipment, and come after you from the second you start the game
Gotta get you a mod to stop that

>bug
It's not a bug though, that's how it was intended to be, except Bethesda just didn't implement a system to only have them spawn after a certain time

I just realized the picture is a nod to the Gothic thread as well.

>except Bethesda just didn't implement a system to only have them spawn after a certain time
You don't say

holy shit imagine beign this retarded

First one is one of the add-on packs, Bethseda in all their wisdom didn't add a start-level to Tribunal so it kicks in even when you just got off the boat. if you manage to kill the assassin their light armour is some of the best you can get that early in the game and it sells well too.

as usual a mod fixes that

Well I kinda like the ninja armor, reminds me of the ninjas from Hitman 2.
Also I need some feedback on my other two questions, its just me or personality is not a shit stat like most games? Is it op like in NV Speech?

if morrowind just had better written side quests and npcs It'd be the best rpg ever. really only the mq and dlc side quests were any good.

Low personality is due to the cave aids

You were hit with a damage personality spell, the number is probably red now, thats how you can tell. Seek a restore personality spell effect, check the uesp wiki on what gives it to you.
The stat itself is pretty good, not worth the major slot tho. Use it to persuade shopkeepers to increase their affinity and give you better prices. A lot of quests also require you to increase affinity, so its always useful.

Assassins are from the Tribunal expansion. It breaks the early game in my opinion in a lot of ways, and doesn't really make sense from a story standpoint either. The Xbox GOTY release didn't send them until you were a higher level, but they didn't do that for PC for what I can only assume is because they assumed people would just not install/activate the expansion until the beat the game or some shit like that.
It's not technically a bug but I would suggest anyone playing Morrowind for the first time use a mod to delay them.
The "Morrowind Patch for Purists" mod (basically Morrowind's unofficial patch) patches in the same delay the Xbox version had among its other changes. But since you've already seen them it doesn't really matter anymore except for new characters.

Your personality getting lowered is from a disease or a spell that has damaged it. If your attributes get Damaged (as opposed to Absorbed or Drained) they stay that way until Restored. First check your magic effects to see if you've got a disease causing it. If so get cured from a potion, temple, scroll, or spell. If it's not caused by a disease then look for a Restore Attributes or Restore Personality effect from all those same sources.

Spears are viable, especially combined with acrobatics. They do about half as much DPS as two-handed swords but have nearly twice the range, so the main reason you'd prefer them over swords is if you're going to take advantage of that range and hit them as you jump over or away. They synergize well with Marksman for that reason too. The biggest problem is that good spears are pretty rare, so unless you get lucky or look them up you'll probably be using weapons weaker than most other melee options for your level. Summoning a Bound Spear with Conjuration is a good way to level the playing field early on by giving you access to a high end spear from the start.

Attached: 1540827754742.png (1917x1010, 1.12M)

I just check: I have no aids, something else fucked my personality
Thanks for all the info. Im having alot of fun with the game. Is it true you can get a Dragon's Dogma style fast travel? I love how the game tells you to take the long walk but getting to one corner to another seems more punishing and more tedious that Stalker and I would like to gain the power to travel fast not just have them from the get go

Attached: 1559107932631.webm (1280x720, 2.87M)

Personality is pretty funny. It affects your base disposition with everyone which is helpful in a lot of quests and if it's damaged below normal values it can hinder your ability to get information from NPCs.
The funny part is that it also works on enemies, and with a really high personality (around 160+ so need some enchants or telvanni bug musk or whatever) the vast majority of 'enemy' NPCs in the game will no longer attack you on sight unless you draw your weapon just because they like you so much by default, and you can even talk to them. Most just complain about abolitionists with some generic line but some offer training.

>Is it true you can get a Dragon's Dogma style fast travel?
There's mark and recall, two spells to set a point and return to it
There's also divine and almsivi intervention, to teleport to the closest imperial or tribunal temple, respectively
You can also find special collectibles that let you teleport between certain locations, but that's less useful

That's not Dragon Age 2

Attached: pepedab.png (554x400, 71K)

>the vast majority of 'enemy' NPCs in the game will no longer attack you on sight unless you draw your weapon just because they like you so much
Fun shit. Glad Personality is not a broken stat like NV but not a trash stat
>There's mark and recall, two spells to set a point and return to it
All I need, thanks non

Attached: 1560826038916.jpg (600x477, 349K)

there's a couple ways to fast travel, most popular being probably the silt striders you can find in most major towns, they're the giant bugs with long legs, next is the mark and recall spells which will let you place a custom marker and travel to it (prepare to fail casting a couple times if you're not a mage though), there's also boats that will let you travel from seaside towns

That being said, sometimes it's nice to not fast travel, as walking the land will get you experience for athletics and combat XP from fighting all the random enemies you encounter (and theres a lot of cool people to encounter on the road)

The game's really well-connected when it comes to fast travel, you can get from almost any town to almost any other in the world quickly when you are familiar with the major routes of silt striders/boats/guild guides. Ashlander camps are the exception, it's a good idea to cast mark in them when you're gonna start one of their quests so you can teleport back easily.

No matter where you are at any point the intervention spells (which come in the form of potions, scrolls, and items as well if you're not a spellcaster) can get you back to civilization instantly and all their destinations are close to the traditional fast travel networks.
I often use the cycle of mark -> intervention -> do shit I need to do in whatever towns I need to do them -> recall to continue my adventure seamlessly. This even works in the middle of a dungeon.

Daggerfall aimed for the stars
oblivion/skyrim bethesda aimed for the foothills
youtube.com/watch?v=46gaz6veVNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=F7qyxSfUceE
youtube.com/watch?v=IGLGi5RK8V8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZzjvWQCND54

Walking so far its been very fun but I wouldnt want to walk from one extreme of the island to another or take two or three Silt Strider trips just to unload loot or a quest. Yet I didnt want Fast Travel to be some cheap ass thing from the star like Oblivion but more of a big reward like DD Portcrystals.

Im pretty happy in the way this game gives you options for traveling.

Attached: 1562002921984.jpg (1200x1600, 281K)

I used to really dislike Morrowind before i figured out how the combat worked and how to make my character faster (i still choose the steed stone every time though)

There's a lot of good stuff even in the base game but yeah the majority of side content is really simple and uninteresting, you can tell quantity was the priority over quality in that area. The LGNPC mods help a lot with that. They're not perfect either (fucking Pelagiad were-guar) but it's still really nice to add some more personality to the people. If nothing else they're good when replaying areas you've already seen everything in.

if you jump everywhere you can level up acrobats quickly and leap great distance
there's boots for improving your movement speed
alchemy is so op

Most of what sets Morrowind apart is the writing and setting. Mechanically it was not a hugely fun game even for the time, the real achievements on the technical side are the aesthetics and the sheer scale of the game.

Have you ever played with a modern graphics mod on? I haven't but from the youtube videos it looks like the key to getting full view distance without making the game feel as threadbare as it does when you just remove it from vanilla.
I've never played VR games either but I've heard it's a lot easier to appreciate distant land in VR than on a monitor.

You couldn't be arsed making your character face the camera?

Well it's at least better than the most uninspired cRPG-like game of all time. Each attempt Larian makes to develop a captivating game rather than simply imitate a franchise made by others, has been more disastrous than the last. Aside from the uninteresting setting and sluggish plot, Divinity: Original Sin's only consistency has been its lack of atmosphere and ineffective execution of storytelling, all to make magic unmagical, to make development seem static.

Perhaps the die was cast when Vincke vetoed the idea of making anything at all fun or outstanding; he made sure the game would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable marketing to tasteless Divinity fans. Divinity: Original Sin 2 might be non-derivative (or otherwise), but it’s certainly the anti-Baldur's Gate series in its refusal of sophistication, fun and unrestrained game design.

>a-at least the gameplay was good though

"No!"

The mechanics are simplistic; the gameplay was terrible. As I played, I noticed that every time I engaged in combat with a group of hostiles the game presented me with an ilusion of tactical variety instead of anything resembling an actual challenge.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time this was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Vincke's mind is so governed by obsession with environmental hazards and level-specific gear that he has no other style of game design.

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Divinity: Original Sin 2 by Chris Avellone himself. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kiddies are playing Larian games at 17 or 18, then when they get older they will go on to enjoy Skyrim." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play "Divinity: Original Sin" you are, in fact, trained to shill for Bethesda.

Attached: sc1.jpg (347x442, 38K)

I must have started at least a dozen new characters in morrowind and played hundreds of hours. It's one my my top 3 games ever.
But I've never finished the main quest.
One day maybe.

based as fuck

Attached: 1454223673844.png (557x605, 494K)

your mom is trash without comparison

You guys have been doing this for sixteen god damn years. The TES cycle NEVER ENDS

Attached: 89995D8E-E372-471D-89BF-98A030E98ECB.png (376x438, 265K)

You're faggot

Attached: morrowind__dissident_priests_by_igorlevchenko_d9940e5-fullview.jpg (1024x1449, 115K)

>I dont know why everybody bitchs about the walking speed, its not that bad
It depends a lot on your character. Athletics, Acrobatics, and Speed all have a huge impact and if you didn't have bonuses for them from character creation you'll feel super feeble.
Encumbrance also plays a big role: going from an almost full inventory to an almost empty one will make you move up to 40% faster and jump up to three times as far. Carrying heavy loads also makes your fatigue drain much faster from running.
If you don't know all that it's easy to make a damn cripple as your first character.