I'm the crazy son of a bitch who got himself a usable Ultima spell in FF2, AMA

I'm the crazy son of a bitch who got himself a usable Ultima spell in FF2, AMA

Attached: c773952.png (480x272, 191K)

What's so impressive about this

I unironically prefer the original version of FF2 despite the bugs

pretty fun to do solo runs too

Isn't Ultima fixed in this version?

Ultima is a spell that does damage based on how many other spells you have and how high their level is. When you get it, it's at level 1, and even if you have a full spell list of level 16 spells, it'll do like 200...400 damage? So not only did I need to grind each spell to 16, I then needed to grind Ultima up there.
Just because it's fixed doesn't mean it's good! It's awful!

Was it fun?

Attached: johnny bravo.png (320x511, 114K)

Did it look fun?

Attached: FF2.png (480x272, 59K)

No, no it did not. May God have mercy on your soul because the grind did not.

Why you do this?

poor boy
why would you do such a thing

Because I wanted to see if the Ultimate Magic was ever worth it.

And if you must know, if you must ask the question. No. It wasn't fucking worth it. How much damage does Ultima do at max level with an almost entire set of level 16 spells? 6000. Which is, in fact, enough to kill everyone in the game with a single cast except some end-game bosses whom take 2-3

Attached: 6k.png (960x544, 810K)

did you also grind up your Weapon ranks? I remember hearing Ultima takes those into account as well.

How the fuck do you train HP / Defense?

easier way is to take physical damage.

For comparison, without using Berserk or Haste to buff, on average each swing will do 2500 to 3000 damage, and hits twice a turn, just using swords the whole game through.

The Swap spell can be used on low level enemies to instantly put your HP in the red from where it was. doing that always guarantees a HP, MP, Magic and Stamina level up

Attached: 2500-3000.png (960x544, 828K)

Take hits. As all the memes would tell you, beating yourself up is an effective method of doing it.

Hit yourself with your own stick to build up an immunity to stronger sticks

OH DID I. I DID EVERYTHING I COULD TO STACK THIS

Attached: Firiaaaaaaaa.png (960x544, 812K)

Attached: 1562234201647.jpg (565x737, 59K)

Attached: ZpwtuMP.png (346x453, 66K)

Other examples that I hate myself

Attached: TAY.png (960x544, 103K)

Jesus christ OP. I'm proud, and a little worried.

So when are you gonna get that Swap up to 16?

did you use this team to beat Proto-Babil?

Grinding to 99 in that game isn't that bad.

I just started playing the PSP version of FF1. Is it me or are there a lot of fucking random encounters? I know old school JRPG's had a shitton of random encounters to pad the game out but I thought they might tweak it a bit for more modern sensibilities. Is this really a game I'm going to have to play when I'm too high to play something else?

Never.

No, I built actual teams for Proto-Babil.

TAY is such a weird game. I should, in theory, love a combination of Live a Live and FF. In theory. In practice we wind up where this odd game where Pic Related is the best character

Attached: ff4tay-illust09.jpg (700x1000, 133K)

The PSP one was already tweaked by adding in MP rather than magic level charges, which removes any challenge from the normal game. Play it on an emulator and use frameskip to speed things up, or just run away from battle or something.

Too bad proto babil is so weak there's no reason to build anyone up for him.

like, in terms of writing or gameplay? because for all it's faults, TAY handled Edge pretty well IMO, which makes his flunkies being crap all the worse.

Welcome to early FF, yeah. The GBA version (and PSP as a result) made the game easier, as well as changed the magic system from "casts per day before resting" to traditional MP, but more than doubled most enemy and boss health and didn't really tweak the encounter rate. In fact, the PSP/GBA/Mobile versions of the game partly run off of the "Easy Mode" rules of the PS1 version and expand from there.

You'll get used to the encounter rate.

It used to feel better back on the NES because the 3 first games actually had some survival aspects (or at least on your first playthrough). As in you were trying to conserve resources and stay alive, and not just mowing through everything like it didn't matter, which just feels like an annoyance.

Not sure if I would say it's impressive but it takes a fucking unbelievable amount of time to get that many spells to 16. Spell leveling becomes slow as fuck and in a normal playthrough you probably won't get more than a spell or two above 10.

I feel you OP. I spent days grinding in the desert where Cactuar spawns in the World of Ruin in FF6 on my SNES. All just because I wanted to make sure every character who could use magic would have every spell from every esper. Final area was a cakewalk by the end of it.

For writing we got a whole 5 good characters

Edge, Palom, Kain, Golbez and Edward.

The difference is that's a good game.

Isn't FF2 the one that's regarded as one of the worst of the series because of how the stat grinding works?

Yes but it's the worst for... other important reasons.

Attached: FF2DeadEndDoors1.png (384x336, 20K)

Can you give a list of reasons this game is bad?

FF2 is kind of innovative. It had an actual plot, even if the characters are so barely there that it took a novelization to make something of them. It also introduced a lot of the series' staples in terms of Chocobos and other ideas abound. But that innovation came with the significant problems of having no idea what they were shooting for. So the stat shit happened, which ultimately spun off into SaGa series mechanics, dungeons became absolute slogs of a dozen or more floors of neverending encounters, the balance was all over the place since without grinding everything curbstomps you but once you grind your weapon levels a bit from usage they suddenly tear ass like it's paper mache, and other stupid ideas. Wanna level your magic? Use it like 50 times to raise it a level. Want to raise your health? Take damage, which means using certain tricks or outright beating yourself up to near-death to gain HP.. maybe and without certainty.

And what alludes to is the most infamous mechanic of the game to those who look past the stats. The dungeons are already long and tedious, but there's also doors everywhere. So you enter a room thinking there's something good in it - but no. You're in the middle of an empty room with significantly higher encounter rates per step (to the point of potentially one fight each time you move) and have to walk back to the door to leave. Now imagine, say, a 20 floor dungeon where 95% of the side rooms are like this just to waste your time.

I posted one of them, being the dungeon design. See that? only 1 of those doors leads to progress, the other 3 teleport you into the center of a room with a skyhigh encounter rate which takes 3 steps to get out of, AKA guaranteed 3 encounters.

FF2 loves this design, it loves gating progress behind MANY DOOR with your only way of knowing which is progress being pure blind luck.

The way spells level up is honestly the worst. I don't mind the system for weapons "Get better with weapon the more you use Weapon" great, love it, awesome. But spells? Holy shit there's just no fucking point to them outside of the Instant-Kill spells like Teleport and the buff spells Berserk and Haste.

I applaud your dedication but you could've spent all that time on a better Final Fantasy game.

In most cases it's not the encounter rate that's high, it's the retarded encounter tiles the game loves to use in dumb places.

Stuff like this is why I just drop games these days if it has random encounters. It just feels lazy. We've gotten past it in ways to make dungeon layouts, so it feels like the devs didn't care and said "eh, fuck it. Just make every step roll dice to see if they're stuck in battle animations."
I give Pokemon a pass for that, but the reason is that they show you the specific tiles that roll those odds. The reason everyone despises caves and open water in pokemon games is because those are the brief moment it turns back into Final Fantasy's encounter system.

Remember that this was a game made on the NES. Then remember that's no excuse.

FF3 had the issue of making you transform size/shape and fucking up your party comp every dungeon (And also having no save points or buyable revival items)

So what you're telling me is that Square Soft was trash before it's merger with Enix. Good to know.

>Remember that this was a game made on the NES.
I do, and that doesn't mean a game ages well.

I'm telling you just because a series has lasted a long time doesn't mean every entry was a slam dunk.

After all DQ1 is fucking horrid.

silly, that's some of their earliest stuff, most people think fondly of Squaresoft from the Snes and PS1 era

Enix also started dodgy but improved a lot

Dq1 is at least short as fuck

So what motivation brought you to grinding a trash entry in the series to its breaking point.

Ultima has always been useless in FF2, So, I was curious, that even if working as intended, even if given the insane grind needed, what would make Ultima "Worth It" At its peak, would it truly be the best spell ever?

The real problem is that animations are too slow. A high encounter rate is fine if there's little to no animations and fights involve more than just mashing attack.

The first Dragon Quest is pretty well balanced, mostly because you only play one character. Items aren't hidden in stupid obscure places, there are hints on how to progress. Yes, it's mostly grind a level, go here, grind a level, go here, but once you get magic keys, which open up exploration, you don't really grind until the last stretch when you want to beat the Dragonlord.

Now, DWII was pretty nightmarish and comparable to FF2 in a lot of ways. They both were experiments, or rather transitions, into what the series would become.
Have you ever played FF12? I've been working on a perfect save where I get 99 of every item (besides story ones like the Jaya stick, etc). The Switch version allows you to carry your items into new game plus and I was thinking of replaying it 99 times in a row in order to officially get 99 of every item, including story items.

I'm not sure how it was even intended to work, so that's a broad question

I always getting the spell though, that tower music was pretty based.

>always getting
*always liked getting

show me your toad spell nigga

Jesus fucking christ, user.
What possesses a man to grind like this?

>tfw you have 99 danjuro back on your original ff12 save
Still haven't played IZJS though, no idea if they made getting that easier. My motivation to go back to this game been low given how much already played it

Learn what iromy means you dumb autistic retard

I feel like the premise of this question is based on some belief that the Japanese developers had any fucking idea what they were doing. So I guess my question is was the slog worth it to sate your curiosity?

I love FF12 I would never try to perfect file it though.

Ultima is a spell that does damage based on the level of all other spells you have and how many, as well as your weapon ranks.

As has been mentioned in the thread, without focused and repeated grinding, even levelling 1 spell up to 16 would be a pain in the ass, let alone as many as you'd need to make Ultima viable.

A need to know.

Ha! No... Absolutely not.

Attached: Oh Maria.png (960x544, 824K)

Are you new?

>Which is, in fact, enough to kill everyone in the game with a single cast except some end-game bosses whom take 2-3
I literally killed the last boss in 3 or 4 turns without investing more than 99 hours. You are legitimately autistic.

>99 item
>99 time
But why

Why didn't you just use the leveling trick?

>Ha! No... Absolutely not.
Fair enough. Thanks for the most interesting thread I've seen on Yea Forums for quite a while.

I beat ff2 (Gba) with like level 10 flare my highest level spell. (barring cure)

If emperor attacked me the characters would instantly die and he'd recover like 1/3 of his max hp.

I did. You can only gain 1 level at a time.

Oh I've beaten the game pretty quickly, it's super short and supremely easy to break. It's not about whether or not I NEED to do something.

After all whenever I play FF2 I go to Mysidia as Step 1 so I can grab Flame Lances and Teleport tomes to each everyone insta-kill spells.

It's not about needing it, it's about... I dunno, proving I can?

>play solo
>everything is always hitting you, and you're always doing everything
>stats keep going up like crazy
>worst fear is at most status effects
>equip some blood swords to end it
feels good

Game?

Final Fantasy 4:The After Years. A Hybrid of Live-A-Live and Final Fantasy 4 made by the main developer of both.

Literally the "Kirito the Black Swordsman" method.

OP I wish I could shake your hand because this is the kind of autism that is worth recording and uploading to youtube for all the neurotypical people in the world to see, you fucking aced this shit

..also did a solo of FF3 not long ago as a solo White Mage -> Shaman. I was surprised at how.. actually OP white mage is.

It was interesting to some some spells see use I normally never seen a point to in the normal game

That's some dedication, user. I understand not wanting to play it again though. I'm just mentally ill and am stuck in my adolescence. I barely play new games, just the same ones over again because my emotions keep me from enjoying new things.
What about FFV? That seems like it could be fun to do a perfect file for. If not, what are you tackling next after 2?
You only get 1 Jaya Stick in the game through a story event, right? Well, if I replay it 99 times while carrying over all my items each playthrough, I can get 99 Jaya Sticks! Then I can say I have beaten FFXII and maybe I'll stop playing it and can finally relax and fucking kill myself.

Attached: bagamnan.png (422x479, 129K)

I'm not the kind of guy to do perfect files honestly. the FF2 Perfect file was more accident than anything... I didn't WANT to get Leon to 9999/999/99 for everything, but the motherfucker just wouldn't stop gaining stats while I did the PSP dungeon for everyones best weapons.

Speaking of, holy shit is FF2 the trolliest with Best Weapons. "Here's Gordon's ultimate spear" "Neat!" "He leaves the party in 20 minutes."

There are not only random encounters, there are also tiles with fixed encounters, so dont walk over same shit all time if you get put in encounter there.

The game where Kain earns his holy powers by accepting and admitting out loud how much he wants to fuck Cecil's wife.

The game in which Palom has heavy claims to being the actual main character as he's prominently featured in many tales and gathers a harem of women who want his dick.

The game in which Ceodore, the son of Cecil, spends the majority of his time not knowing what the FUCK is going on, never meeting the main bad guy, and repeatedly going "Huh?!"

Speaking of stumbling second games, I played Dragon Quest 2 recently and even with the GBC's flaws it still felt pretty rough around the edges, especially with Rhone.

>I was thinking of replaying it 99 times in a row in order to officially get 99 of every item, including story items.

Are you Ulililia?

Couldnt you just hack or cheat your way to it instead?

>I was thinking of replaying it 99 times in a row in order to officially get 99 of every item, including story items.
What is wrong with you? Do you like 12 that much?

How are the bonus dungeons in 2? I never played the bonus stuff before.
No but gosh do I admire that man. I'm glad he found new, healthier pursuits. He inspired me as well as a bunch of people from the FFXII gamefaqs forum who did perfect runs.

Also the game that boils down to retreading the events of the original despite ostensibly being a sequel to the point that the characters outright point out the retread and try to act around it, only to get fucked up anyway. Like, just because the characters are self-aware about the unoriginality doesn't make it original.

What the fuck? They gave the enemies and bosses the same HP from the original while increasing your health and attack power to typical FF numbers? What a fucking joke.

Bonus dungeon in FF2 is kinda neat. Usually gives you a floor with a challenge to do to get a keyword. Each Keyword gives you a different floor. So it becomes a "Build your own dungeon" experience. And there's none of that shit multi-door garbage.

Oh... you didn't... No dude in vanilla FF2 your HP hit the 1000's mark too.

It got to the point of retread that when Edward (Who's chapter was already a hyper retread) went to go and get a sand ruby for his secretary, I was fucking SHOCKED he didn't have to fight an Antlion. in fact outside of an optional fight, Antlion is the only boss you never have to fight again.

Hey, remember how the Lunarian tale ends with Zeromus being revived? And then the game NEVER goes anywhere with it?

If you care about the survival aspect and feeling pressured, and being fucking happy when you get to go back to town (especially with few ways to save), only the originals can give you that. FF just does do that style anymore.

at most it's nice for the extra dungeons, but well

Ask a guy who did 4 Thief in FF1 anything

That guy who spent 500 hours to get Cloud and Barret to level 99 before Guard Scorpion had it much worse.

Only if you grind that much. But then the GBA version onwards are permanently stuck in the PS1's optional Easy Mode, too.

Do 4 White Mages coward.

What the fuck is your problem?

4WHM is probably easier though

4 White Mages is easier, user. You can actually kill the first two major bosses Granted Astos consists of using Mute and then holding A for 15 minutes straight and you can actually grind way faster at the Peninsula of Power. Thieves suck and die against Ogres for like 110xp a fight

I had a summer where i was bored

I remember some guy in GameFAQs got Sora to level 99 before leaving Outset Island on KH1 by parrying Wakka Tidus and Selphie over and over and over again for days

FF2 is a good history lesson of how to NOT make a game. It's fucking unplayable.

OOF

Does the newer versions of FFXII fix the "lel you picked a treasure in the beginning of the game so now you can't have this weapon" problem?

It has issues but it's anything but unplayable, also pretty fun (imo) once you understand its quirks. Plus it gave rise to the SaGa series which I personally love (most essentially use an evolution of the FF2 system).

You should go look at some of the Atari catalog if you want the real history lesson (and E.T. isn't even the worst thing on it, that's just well known because it's a commercial failure)

>FF1 had a 3DS release that basically reuses all the textures and assets from the PSP version but makes the environments a basic 3D and has a proper worldmap and combat UI on the bottom screen
>Japan-only

crazy ass nigger

Attached: Ayy+lmao+_d928f7776640441ce5adc3e9f7744139.jpg (261x197, 10K)

Yeah they took that out. By the way in the original there was actually another Zodiac Spear treasure chest that did not depend on the forbidden chests, it had a ridiculously low rate to drop it but eventually some guy found a way to manipulate the RNG so that it would always or almost always drop it.

In the newer versions they added some invisible weapons with even more bullshit methods to obtain though

SaGa is also a shit series

Holy shit had to look it up this is the first time ever I hear about this

>tfw you restarted a 240 hours save after finding about it and giving up on that low% chest
But not overly mad, in ff12 I loved the early game more than the late game. Just going around exploring while underpowered doing things I shouldn't be doing yet thanks to being semi-open.

Fuck that, then.
The game has enough content as it is for them to do that kind of shit.

You got it with pre-ordering Final Fantasy Explorers in Japan, but then they put it up on the eShop some time after. Got no idea why it never got localized when literally it's just a tweaked port of the PSP game, so everything they need already exists.

Yeah here's an example for the invisible bow (most powerful weapon in the game btw)
>The Seitengrat can be obtained when the player can board the Skyferry. Entering the deck of the Skyferry offers a 1% chance for an invisible chest to spawn, that has a 20% chance of containing an item, and if the player has the Diamond Armlet equipped, the chest has a 5% chance of containing the Seitengrat. With this 0.01% chance every time the deck is entered (assuming the player knows of the hidden chest), the Seitengrat was intended to only be gotten by fluke or serious persistence, however, with RNG manipulation one can guarantee the chest spawns and relinquishes a Seitengrat.

Did he finish it? I thought he got to the 70's

So, Zemus was a space wizard. Then Zeromus was a space Wizard's Malice. So this is a Space Wizards's Malice's Malice?

Attached: Maliception.png (960x544, 414K)

I kind of miss the dungeon design of the earlier final fantasy games. They actually felt like you were delving into a dangerous area, since you had to work your way down to the boss, beat the boss, then survive getting back out of the dungeon, all in one go.

Nowadays every game has a Skyrim-esque conveniently placed door to the outside right after the boss room at the bottom of the dungeon. I get why they chose to make that change, it just takes away from the experience, I feel

Attached: 1495279310355.png (248x204, 5K)

... Fuckin' what?

Attached: what.png (960x544, 415K)

Yeah he might've, it's been quite a while so I don't recall

>Never played FF1 before, decided to give it a shot
>Beat Garland before I realized I needed to actually equip the weapons I give to my dudes
I don't know whether I should be proud of myself for keeping them alive that long or feel like an absolute retard for obvious reasons

It's not unplayable but it's filled with beginners traps and bad design choice.

JRPGs are all about doing the dumbest shit imaginable to break them or just see what happens when you make the numbers go up. Well, to autists like the OP and I, anyway.

What's your team?
I hope you didn't get a thief

I think we all went through shit like this on our first few rpgs user

Fighter, black belt, white mage, black mage
Seemed like a decent all around squad to me

>not having a dick-ass thief in your party

Attached: 54C8EA28-1216-43B3-A92D-ABAB70C2D7A6.png (686x610, 821K)

kino EZ mode squad. Good picks

I remember I beat Brock in pokemon yellow by grinding Pikachu to level 30 in the first town and quick attacking him to death

That's a pretty standard team for a first run, you'll be fine. Just UNEQUIP THE NUNCHUCKS at level 8 or so.

Does anyone remember those threads a few years back where some user was running FF1 blind with three white mages and a monk and they forgot to unequip the nunchucks until, like, level 30?
God, what a riot that was.

>autistic
Now THIS is ironic

Let's see a webm or gif of you using this in battle.

You got my respect you glorious autistic bastard. I always wanna do stuff like this but lose interest before it's over. The closest I think I ever got was getting everyone to level 99 and mastering every Materia in FF7, but even then I gave up halfway through source farming

I once grinded for all the Tail equipment in FF4 DS. Including five Adamant Armors.

I love the early game of it too but I hate being underleveled. First thing I do is grind Dustia to 99 as soon as I can. It's pure muscle memory now. I've done it probably 4 or 5 times over the years too on the different versions of XII. I also get 6 Burning Bows from Dive Talons to speed things up until I have access to Nabudis/Barheim.

this please

That's crazy. It'll never work!

Opposite for me, when I play FF lately I tend to try to stay weaker on purpose (while still getting everything else), great when there's some way to limit leveling like in 12 and 15

>tfw recent run of FF15 (first and only playthrough) at level 1 with no food, no consumable, no DLC items (other than the one to limit leveling), actually felt like a real game and it was possible to get game over
at least for the main game, I did use food in post-game and to beat omega or that would have been ridiculous (still no consumables/levels though)

Attached: certificate.jpg (1280x720, 926K)

Is 15 worth playing once? I've played everything except 13 and 15 and have a hard time convincing myself to bother with either. I watched a friend play 13 and it seemed like shit and somehow 15 looks worse.

If you get Royal Edition then yeah 15 is fine

Gameplay-wise if you stay level 1/no-consumable it's pretty fun imo (no food can be frustrating so I don't recommend it), otherwise it'll just be snoozefest while watching an incomplete story with wasted potential unfold.

It does some have good moments though.

why do people give this man $25,000 a month for a once a week podcast where he rambles about random topics for a few hours?

I would definitely give it a go. If you do though, only play the Royal Edition. The other versions are just even more incomplete versions of an already incomplete game.

because he's actually funny plus if you're invested in the "lore" from the Biggest Problem days, it's interesting to keep up with all the new Maddox drama that crops up every month or so

13 low key has the best gameplay out of them all. Sure it has some other problems but it's enjoyable enough to play.

Attached: Ultima.webm (1364x768, 2.78M)

at least it was enough to kill it, would've been awkward

I've only played the PSX version and that took me 15 hours to complete going in blind. Just enjoy the ride because, boy, it is a short one.

>13 low key has the best gameplay out of them all

it's certainly unique, but it's by no means the best gameplay. It's not "final fantasy" at all. If you want to play a strategy puzzle game, great. Just keep it out of my final fantasy games

Attached: rthwbwntnw.png (2847x1412, 1.94M)

I loved ff2. The concepts of improving based on how you played was awesome because I could make any character anything I want, and even change what they were if the need arose. I wish there was another game like it. I heard saga is like it but I have no clue where tos tart with them.

thanks for the gif user

There's a lot yeah. Keep in mind you can't run from some enemies. Stuff like Mindflayers, Earth/Fire Elementals are the main ones youll come across that might not be obvious at first. If you suck real bad you could savescum through the dungeons i'd do this in Ice Cave because fuck that place.

i played through this once to satisfy my autism
it has cool aspects but never fucking again, never

DQ1 was amazing for what it was. DQ2 was the really awful one. And then DQ3 is considered one of the best games of all time. Enix was actually pretty damn solid for most of its entire existence. Granted nobody remembers stuff like Brain Lord.

And the AOE version

More than enough a Salamander only has 1290 HP.

Attached: UltimaAoE.webm (1364x768, 2.55M)

don't care if it's "final fantasy" or not. it's fun. old final fantasy is kind of dull in comparison.

I did it too, at 10x speed.

Random encounters have to be used properly.

FF is actually fucking garbage at this. Random encounters and omni-immunity to statuses are the two big things that drag down the entire series. The random encounters aren't there to be challenging, they're there to purposely waste your fucking time by being both unchallenging and required to level up properly. You're just going to cast your big AOE spell on all of them to wipe them out turn 1 because you get a save point before the boss and can heal back to full.

In a game that uses them WELL, like Dragon Quest or even Etrian Odyssey, random encounters have a very real chance to flat out kill you or at least fuck you up to the point where you have to go back to town. Dragon Quest and Etrian Odyssey both make use of limited inventory systems and general item scarcity to make sure that MP is a valued resource. You can't just go out and buy 99 magic waters, they're either prohibitively expensive or can't be bought at all depending on the game. And the only revive item in the game, yggdrasil leaf, is typically a "can only hold one" thing that you only get near the end of the game. So random encounters in these games become a matter of resource management, and you can expect to get to the boss at maybe 3/4 MP on a good run if you use your resources wisely and run from bullshit.

That's a shitload of damage by FF2 standards, especially for neutral magic. Shame the grind is so long to get it that you could just basic attack the emperor with your current stats (or a blood sword).

Actually going through the FF series I've learned that the idea of omni-immunity is bullshit for quite a number of titles. Hell I was shocked how damn busted Insta-Death actually was in both FF2 and 4.

It's that most people convince themselves of omni-immunity and thus don't bother. FFX has a huge focus on distributing debuffs and buffs.

You start with Unlimited SaGa.

Man don't do that to him. He's suffered enough.

Attached: ATT of people.gif (500x386, 1.91M)

You're playing a remake, so nothing you did actually counts. If you did it legit on the 8-bit game you'd find Ultima to still be utterly useless though even if you wasted all that time.

Why, was this about making a bugged NES spell good, or was it about seeing how to make the spell when unbugged good?

Attached: 4whitemages.jpg (199x170, 38K)

>tfw hated that game when you bought it around launch and dropped it after starting a few runs that you never finished, but then started to like it 15 years later
I still prefer the likes of RS3, SF, and Minstrel Song though. SaGa2-3 are fine too.

Pour one out for ones homies.

>tfw that guide is the only reason you figured out how to finish FF1 as a kid
I couldn't even read English so in-game explanations were useless, needed pictures. Fair amount I went through trial and error and revisiting though. But things like going back to the first dungeon, using the lute, etc...

This is always the way to go with any FF game after your first playthrough. I feel like FF games always have good underlying mechanics that often get wasted on overly easy games, and doing a run where you limit yourself really lets the game shine and turns it into a fun challenge.

>fighting last boss in FF15 in that sequence that use different gameplay
>normally feels like it's just a mash fest where you can't do much about it
>if super-underpowered enough you actually NEED to avoid getting hit, and it's actually possible to never get hit doing a clean fight

>tfw grinding to 99 off brachiosaurs in a game where 50 was overleveled

Attached: giphy.gif (500x250, 155K)

I am playing it right now, not as bad as people say and I realised that a lot of FFs ripped it off especially 6.

Unironically is used in place of genuinely now, for some reason.

I did the same shit. My "A" team was strong, but as it tends to go, every other character wasn't really up to par. So, I grinded them out in the very same desert. Turns out I went way too autistic with it and made them all into nuclear bombs that made my A team look like shitters, and of course had enough money to buy a max stack of every consumable. Even then all of this hardly mattered because I just abused the shit out of Quick anyway.

>pad the game
In the original game, the random encounters WERE the games difficulty. The bosses only lasted 3 turns, and were some sort of gate-keeping test to see if you had enough hp/mp at the end of a dungeon.

This changed in the PSP version though, which is based on the easy version of origins which nerfs the enemies and raises the hp of bosses.

Oh wow, a quality thread. Where am I? Where the fuck is this?

So when I was a kid, I rented FF3 (6) and one of the save files had the party from the river escape, including Banon, stuck in Nikeah. Didn't know how or why. I was basically "that kid" as a result of that because whenever I'd talk about the game with friends I'd swear up and down that you could get Banon in your party outside of the river escape and the associated areas.

Fast forward like 15 years and I find out there's a glitch where you save right as you leave Narshe at the start of the game. Then you go all the way to the floating island without ever saving. Then you jump of the island halfway, go right back up to it, and die in a random encounter. This puts you right back where you saved last (Narshe, at the start of the game) but the airship will be parked right next to you. This lets you fuck with the game's story triggers by doing stuff out of order and lets you do all kinds of funky shit like take Banon on a world tour or even abuse the way that the game saves cartridge space by overwriting guest characters to get General Leo in your party. Neat stuff.

Attached: 1440945129925.jpg (631x612, 332K)

It's been ages since I played FF1 - why should you unequip the nunchucks?

I never read up on the mechanics and been a while since I played as well, but he turns out he just build up stronger beating shit with his bare hands soon going way over the nunchucks power (equipping them makes you weaker)

>A need to know
Could have spent 10 minutes with cheat engine or something. What a waste of time.

Fists get stronger with levels on monks and they quickly become stronger than nunchucks.

The Japanese really like it though, consider it one of the best games of all time.

Same with SaGa, westerners hate it while Japs love it

This all sounds neat as fuck so I decided to look it up.
>you can literally take general leo to his own grave
That's hardcore.

Attached: 17spkad70b348png.png (512x448, 22K)

DQ2 is the bad one. DQ1 was well paced and at least over by the time you start to not be able to tolerate it.

I could have only enjoyed DQ2 if it was my first videogame, or at least my first JRPG. Sure, it brought multiple things to the table like a ship you could ride the ocean in, party based battles, and characters with fixed roles. But if you played like any of the 97% of JRPGs that came after you have experienced these things; without having to deal with DQ2's horrendous difficulty spikes or constant back and forth trekking

>BLM instead of RDM

So close to perfection...

I played it in the iOS and it helped with a lot of problem the game had.

How do you develop autism

Weeks and months and YEARS of solitude in your youth not knowing that you're lonely because you don't truly know what not lonely feels like with videogames being your main hobby.

Helps being poor when you're young so if you were a consolefag like me whose parents wouldn't pay for internet and you knew nothing about the wonderful world of piracy you did shit like this to extend the longevity of your games because you couldn't afford new ones and had nothing else to do

Then by the time you hit adulthood you find the internet and validation from losers who are doing the same exact shit

Not OP btw

they already had it but instead of people telling them to stop doing stupid shit they have people telling them that the stupid shit they do is ok and they should continue