Halo Combat Evolved was the peak of the series

Halo Combat Evolved was the peak of the series.

Attached: Halo.png (1500x1665, 3.77M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q_pAa9252Uo
youtu.be/GfpkuMIGe0s?t=370
youtube.com/watch?v=ZVkGtVJVYps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So what you're saying is there should have been only one Halo.

Essentially.

I wouldn't go that far. Halo 2 was released in 2004, so it automatically has soul.

Halo 2 is a modern military shooter. Literally opens with a five minute long unskippable cutscene every time you want to start a new game. Halo 1's brief movement and shield tutorial is over in like two.

I'll never get used to the reticle not being centered
Shit just fuck me up.

There's got to be some way to fix that, right? With project cartographer maybe? it was the first thing I noticed too, it feels like you're leaning back to shoot like a girl. What the fuck was Bungie thinking?

i never understood why they did this

>Unskippable
But that's wrong, you faggot. Every cut scene you can skip.

I agree. I remember linking up Xboxs and having LAN parties. Last good console shooter until Splatoon came.

>But that's wrong, you faggot. Every cut scene you can skip.
You have to follow Johnson around for like five minutes while he drones on about completely uninteresting shit. Same kind of cutscenes call of duty has where they auto holster your gun and make you listen to exposition.

>Halo 2 was released in 2004

Attached: 1564238728274.jpg (639x606, 55K)

This is why it's the worst of the trilogy, that campaign really sucked.

Time passes.. Did you know that water is wet?

Bullshit.
>Halo CE: The tutorial is ingrained in The Pillar of Autumn. Unless you play on legendary it cannot be skipped and even then you need to go through the cinematic "running" sequence before being able to actually fight.
>Halo 2: The Heretic and The Armory are their own levels and can be skipped, Cairo Station immediately drops you into gameply and is in fact where the co-op campaign begins because they knew dudebros in couch co-op just wanted to play.

stops people from looking at the ground all the time

Attached: download (3).jpg (196x258, 13K)

It's like a minute and 40 seconds the moment he walks out the elevator up to meet you to where you get off the tram. Also, there's a skull to grab in that segment.

Not him but Halo CE skips the tutorial on Heroic.

?

This is a non issue in every other FPS ever made. Being forced to stare at the sky is very annoying,

Halo is esentially boomercore nowadays. The current Baby's First FPS is Black Ops 2.

Sorry, I wouldn't know because I barely ever play on heroic.

Attached: 1552340800191.gif (320x256, 3.25M)

Then you would know because it skips it on legendary too.

There's going to be a centered option in the MCC PC port.

The Halo series are some of the greatest games made and I was just thinking about it before I saw this thread. My family and I use to play the shit out of this. Man I wish I could back to those great times.

youtube.com/watch?v=q_pAa9252Uo

Attached: 3242343.jpg (1600x1033, 200K)

>Playing on Easy/Normal

Attached: h.gif (300x300, 438K)

That's what I just said. I know on legendary the gameplay starts at "c'mon we gotta get the hell outta here", but I don't play on heroic because its a useless difficulty.

Attached: 1565920623016.png (928x492, 1.03M)

so when the fuck is steam getting the master chief collection already, hasn't it been months since they promised it?

>posts nu-Halo art with female spartans

the way shes standing is really stupid

The females aren't an issue. Those retarded fucking armor designs are. What in that image screams "Halo" to you besides Buck's ODST helmet?

>posting Osiris

>What in that image screams "Halo" to you besides Buck's ODST helmet?
Nothing. It honestly reminds me more of Destiny.

Attached: 1563017274225.png (500x500, 351K)

Normal's cool though.

Why did he even continue to wear an ODST helmet as a spartan? I was under the impression that their armor was very different, ODST's basically being slightly more heavily armored marines with full face helmets.

If you just wanna steamroll everything in your path and enjoy the vistas, sure.

That's what Chief does anyway, that's why the Covenant fear him.

Correct!

>These Sentinels accompany other Forerunner machines and assist them with their tasks, using a combination of support systems and offensive weaponry.

>The largest constructs are classified as strato-sentinels, taking the roles of grand builders and overseeing architects for major Forerunner works. Those used in military applications were often classified as weapon-ships, capable of being fitted with naval-scale ordnance and defensive systems.
This is prey much going to be a boss fight in Infinite.

Attached: Steward.jpg (675x629, 32K)

>halo infinite
They're not making Halo an open world game, r-right? s-surely they would never do something so tasteless and out of touch...

*pretty

Think of Metro Exodus.

Thank the lord jesus christ, if we ever get that

Halo was originally much more open-ended.

People with taste didn't like that either. I wish the open world meme would fucking die already. STALKER is it's own thing.

>much more open-ended.
Yes it was. One of the reasons why I liked Combat Evolved a lot more than 2. It had large open ended levels with vehicles, but it wasn't an open world game. There was no "hub world" either.

Not him but what the fuck is your problem.

This is where Halo started though, Halo CE was supposed to be more open-ended then what we ended up with, Gears didn't need to go this route but Halo should have gone this route years ago.

This

bump

I sure loved how 1/3 of the campaign was recycled levels with added flood and another 1/3 is straight up bad levels. Truly the peak.

That's because when H1 released FPS games were still relatively new to console, and the new control scheme utilizing both analog sticks needed a tutorial level.
I know you weren't born yet, but that's how it was.

Attached: halo1.gif (500x500, 13K)

to be fair all halo games have like 2/3rds shit levels

I'm ignoring PC since the vast majority of people that played these games didn't do it on a PC and didn't PC in general.

Halo 2 was the peak of FPS in its day. There was nothing else that compared with its popularity or feature set. Halo 2 was years ahead of everyone when it came to the online features. Halo 1 is good but it didn't have online, so it was never able to shine outside of big LAN parties, which most people never experienced because of the setup required. 2 and 3 also supported LAN. Halo 3 wasn't as impressive in its time since it was contemporary to games like CoD 4, which superseded it in some ways.

>I'm ignoring PC when discussing an FPS
You might as well be discussing console RTS or console CRPGs for as retarded a statement as that is.

>let's ignore context since I have no point otherwise
I may as well be talking to a wall for as willfully ignorant and tedious as you are.

Attached: 1505072632141.gif (234x159, 315K)

Its just a bizarre way of "lowering your gun" so when you shoot you don't accidentally hit a friendly.

People really overate Halo CE's campaign.
It gets very repetitive because of the reused levels and copy paste hallways in the covenant ship level.

It's still fun, and ground breaking for its time as far as successfully bringing the FPS to console finally with good controls and feeling.
Story is decent and was criticized even during its early days for reusing so many levels.
It's still fun regardless and the franchise it spawned speaks for itself. (Even though it more or less died post-Bungie.)

Attached: marine_halo_check.jpg (1024x770, 133K)

Why do girls lean back to shoot?

>ground breaking for its time as far as successfully bringing the FPS to console finally with good controls and feeling.
except console ports of doom already felt great

Oh I agree with that. It's still a very solid game but too often I see people act as if Halo 2 and 3 were somehow a huge step down when they both improve upon what CE did.

Yeah but even the ability to look up and down to aim instead of magical vertical bullets put Halo leagues ahead of those.
Halo has some aim assist, but put early FPS console games to shame.

Halo 2 mogs CE in every way.

Well I can't speak for modern Halo players. But I played all of the (Bungie) Halo games as each released, and most people during the release of 2 and later 3 always said it was an improvement. Especially with the multiplayer additions.
The only time I really heard people complain is Halo 3's maps lacking compared to 2's. And Reach seem to be very divisive too, since they went with semi-loadouts and spawning with abilities.
But as far as the feel of each game, it always felt like an improvement to me and my friends as far as the Trilogy is concerned.
I personally prefer Halo 2 overall, but all are great.

Attached: halo_1_2_3.jpg (1279x747, 96K)

Lower center of gravity.

what happened to fun map design?

Killed by sprint

>We are farther removed from Halo 2 than H2 was from Doom

What happened to the genre?
I grew up on FPS games, but now it's hard to find any good ones. The only semi-recent FPS game I play is Rising Storm 2.
But as far as fun singleplayer FPS games, I can't think of any good modern ones. Besides people saying play DOOM 2016, but meh. It was cool, but I'd rather just play the classics.

we know it. it's the only one where legendary wasn't ruined by snipers

>game is called halo
>you're wearing a helmet

Attached: 1557300400121.jpg (811x811, 114K)

ce is the only one i really liked. the rest are pretty generic shooters.

I gota questen fer ya.

Attached: TheHalo.jpg (1920x1079, 1.52M)

>Boring grey hallways
>Boring grey storage room but with a cool view of space
I like halo but come on

Except looking up and down on a controller always feels like shit. The reason doom works so well on a controller is that you can use your high movement speed to micro-adjust your horizontal aim, which sticks are no good at. There's nothing like that for vertical aim except assist.

I just prefer the overall presentation.
>fairly light hearted, feels like kind of a self-contained B movie, complete with noncanon joke ending
>weaponry taken directly from Marathon, UNSC designs are all straight out of Aliens
>Covenant are more mysterious because there hadn't been a fuck load of games attempting to humanize them, feel alien without being purposely monstrous like in Reach
>same for Flood, just some horror from beyond the stars that comes out of left field, no attempt to flesh them out give them characterization or origins you can connect with

Attached: 1519888354473.jpg (960x720, 156K)

Halo's Vacuum Energy (Dark Energy) vs Metroid's Aeion Energy?

Even at its peak Halo is objectively shit in every single regard especially gameplay

Anybody saying this shit unironically would have to be like 40 years old.

>but I don't play on heroic because its a useless difficulty.
??? It's literally how Halo is meant to be played faggot

Not him but I just play Halo on the default difficulty.

Halo 2 is way too linear.

Seriously are you mentally retarded?

Definitely. I liked all three Halos. But the first one is smoother and juicier. The plasma has a warm glow, the Needler has a soft, mauve haze (only CE has this), the melee animations are like silk. The bullet hole animations are smooth and chunky. The weapons are heavier and louder.

Get off the computer gramps.

Attached: 40 year old tomber.png (376x341, 104K)

This

Nah, Halo 2 had plenty of soul in it.

I'll argue Bunige puts plenty of soul in their games

did*
post-Halo Bungie is only Bungie in name.

Attached: 1517834730044.jpg (500x469, 27K)

Soul dried up after Halo 3.

I played the first halo and it was shit compared to 2, 3, ODST, Reach, and even 4. I'm not sure what you're getting out of lying about this. It's better than 5 at least.

Not him, but I think the gist is that desperately clinging to the past is both unhealthy and counterproductive.

Lol. Imagine putting a pile of shit 343i "game" above anything Bungie shat out.
Bungie's worst game is still better than any 343i "game."

Attached: 1568672951530.gif (250x250, 407K)

I'm glad we agree with each other then.

CE shits on anything Bungie made after Halo 3, eat shit, faggot.

I like it. Really, the only areas that I outright dislike are the level where you have to get aboard the Covenant ship to bust Keyes out, and The Library. I just think the former is kind of boring, and the latter is distilled tedium.

But you said Halo 4 is better than Halo 1.

In terms of graphics I do agree that CE despite not being as technologically impressive, aged like wine.

Attached: baby_first_fps.jpg (474x383, 28K)

Attached: 1555686382337.png (373x338, 73K)

old people are cooler than you

idea is that it gives you more vertical visability. FOV is pretty low and aming up with stick is meh

The biggest complaints I have about CE and even the remastered version of it is the unnecessarily large open environments during the campaign, it made getting from place to place take years longer than it should. The controls were ass compared to the sequels, something about it just didn't feel right. Like no matter what angle you tilted the analogue stick, the games camera was locked into moving in a square box formation. Only up down left right movements, not true 360 degree movement like it's sequels. This made aiming with anything feel terrible. I know this isn't an issue with PC, but it's a huge one for the console. Also, grenades felt like shit to throw as well, most of the time you expect a plasma grenade to stick, but then it doesn't. I'm god tier at sticking people in Gaylo with sticky grenades, even across the map, but it felt like something wasn't right about it with CE.

wasnt a fan of Combat Evolved. got pretty boring quick

This but unironically

I'm probably in the wrong on that one and went a bit too far, I just only liked 4's multiplayer. The rest was pretty dull shit, so I'll retract halo 4 in that statement.

The multiplayer was the worst part, yikes. It was very obviously trying to be COD and failed miserably.
Are you okay user?

>The biggest complaints I have about CE and even the remastered version of it is the unnecessarily large open environments during the campaign, it made getting from place to place take years longer than it should
That was the best part of the campaign, it's just one of the reasons Halo 2 will always be the worst campaign of the trilogy.

>The biggest complaints I have about CE and even the remastered version of it is the unnecessarily large open environments during the campaign, it made getting from place to place take years longer than it should.
I literally played it few days ago and this is objectively not true. In every section that has large open spaces you are given vehicle. Vehicle sections have very little down time. Only exception to this is underground chasm in Two Betrayals, but most of it is spent being attacked by flood.

>Also, grenades felt like shit to throw as well, most of the time you expect a plasma grenade to stick, but then it doesn't. I'm god tier at sticking people in Gaylo with sticky grenades, even across the map, but it felt like something wasn't right about it with CE.
CE has very tight hitboxes combined with very little little bullet magnetism compared to sequels.
see video:
youtu.be/GfpkuMIGe0s?t=370

seething

>unnecessarily large open environments during the campaign
That's what makes it fun and distinct from the future installments. You can tackle shit from different angles using different vehicles and different weapons to attack different groups of enemies.

cope

40-50 year olds that post on Yea Forums, the most underage board on Yea Forums? Pedophile, virgin, nigger boomer.

Which Halo game has the most fucked up balance in terms of good difficulty? Halo 4's too easy on normal and below, while it's also not fun on heroic and legendary. It doesn't seem to have the right touch on any difficulty.

Attached: 1566936743536.webm (968x824, 1.89M)

This

Shut your zoomer ass up.

Halo 2, if you mean by campaign.
Mostly because of cheap deaths on Legendary. Halo 2 objectively has the hardest Legendary campaign in the series, for all of the wrong reasons.

Attached: halo2.jpg (308x445, 44K)

Halo 2 has the same problem.

aww are you mad?

Don't forget that it's the only Halo where the other player dying in co-op causes you to reload from checkpoint

Halo 2 feels almost perfect on Normal or Heroic. Not 100% or even 80%, but still good. 4 is just woof.

Attached: Relax.jpg (288x467, 76K)

Good point. Been years since I played co-op on 2.

I personally found Halo 4 to be too boring. For the start of a new trilogy it falls flat very soon into it and all of the scripted stuff feels more like set pieces rather than engaging me into the lore.
Something about it just feels very off.

>reach at end of 2019

>linear as linear can be
>set pieces breaking the flow
>constantly running out of ammo
>rule of 3
>big empty areas where you're in a vehicle all by yourself
I can see why.

Attached: Suiciiiide.jpg (1200x675, 106K)

2 had a horrendously ugly art style. What were Bungie even thinking?

Eh, I almost exclusively play SWAT in matchmaking, and it was fine in 4, mostly because people were really fucking bad at it in 4 for some reason. Outside of swat, the rest was pretty shit, I agree.

But literally every single map in Halo 2 had ways of getting out of bounds and had shit placed outside the playable area by the devs that knew about those glitches. I say from this point of view, Halo 2 is far less linear than people assume. If you didn't go out of bounds for your Halo 2 campaign, you didn't really play the campaign properly.

There are parts when you're given vehicles, yes, but there's parts where you aren't given anything. If your vehicle gets destroyed, which will happen very easily, you're doomed to walking for 10 minutes to the next objective. The flood area really got on my nerves, since it was just a waste of ammo trying to fight them, so your best option is to just run past them, but the area was so annoyingly crafted, it felt like ages walking through it with 300 alien niggers nipping at your heels.

Well said. Especially the ammo thing, holy shit. That had to be intentionally and I still don't understand the decision behind it.
I even bought it on launch because I was a huge Halo fan and wanted to support 343i taking over the franchise. Man it was a let down. Even the multiplayer, I quit after a few weeks of trying to like it.

>SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE

Nope

>There are parts when you're given vehicles, yes, but there's parts where you aren't given anything. If your vehicle gets destroyed, which will happen very easily, you're doomed to walking for 10 minutes to the next objective.
Can you give me specific examples?

Halo CE-5 are all good on Normal, only Halo CE and 3 are good on Heroic, every other game is pretty fucked on Heroic and beyond.

I wasn't there for the launch of 4. In fact, I first played it on the MCC, and it was bizarre. The ammo thing bothered the shit out of me. Gameplay feels barren.

>But literally every single map in Halo 2 had ways of getting out of bounds and had shit placed outside the playable area by the devs that knew about those glitches. I say from this point of view, Halo 2 is far less linear than people assume. If you didn't go out of bounds for your Halo 2 campaign, you didn't really play the campaign properly.
Halo 2 was linear as shit and when ever you did decide to break from the scripted path, you got nothing but empty space.

>tfw played ODST on Heroic and Legendary
>it was hell but satisfying
>haven't done Legendary for the other games, yet
How bad does it get, bros?

Attached: Smooth Jazz.jpg (600x800, 61K)

While I cannot personally attest for all the games, I imagine they'd be somewhat more forgiving purely due to the shield mechanic.
2's Jackals will fuck you up no matter what though.

343 wanted you to use their OC weapons instead of relying on the guns you already know

Now this is just wrong. I recommend reliving halo 2's campaign and making it a goal of yours to get out of bounds in every area. I remember there being gigantic stretches of playable area outside the map. FULLY MODELED as well. Another neat thing to do is getting vehicles beyond points where it tries to force you to get out of them and abandon them there. Bringing a scorpion beyond the big ass bridge section, bringing a tank into the temple area, bringing banshees through sewer pipes, bringing warthogs by grenading them over intentionally placed obstacles by the debs to prevent them from being brought. It's all about how you play the campaign. Are you creative enough? If so, Halo 2's campaign is better than CE's. If you just restrict yourself to what the devs give you, you're gonna have a slog of a time.

I swear I am the only person who really liked 4 and even preferred it over 3.

1 and 2 were great, and 3 was good, but my major complaint with it comes from how tight all the campaign maps felt. I constantly felt myself getting motion sickness from how claustrophobic the maps are. Pretty sure a narrow FOV made this worse plus I hated how you couldn't really hear the assault rifle which I thought was a problem with my stereo setup until El Dewito or whatever had 3 somewhat playable and the assault rifle sounded exactly as I remember.

All in all, I love 1-4. Never played the spin offs or 5 since I don't own a Xbone. I only ever recently tried to get through Reach after being a pc gamer since 2005 and it was just so hard re adjusting to aiming with a controller. News of MCC PC came out and I just dropped that shit.

Can't fucking wait to go through the entire series again but this time on my rig!

Attached: thefallofreach_coversource_lorrainemclees-sm-3cdd55b0785b4fe4b347552ff6fcb64e.jpg (1150x1885, 277K)

I remember very early on, the first big grassy open area with mountains you're put into where you can see the halo ring, that being an example. The first part, you have no vehicle. You have to walk for a while before you're given one. Then you better guard that thing with your life, or it's walking time. The map is gorgeous, but god damn is it big.

CE is harsh but fair, probably the closest to ODST difficulty.
2 is just straight up broken. Cheese whenever possible.
3 and 4 are both babyshit.
Reach is a fucking trial but you will feel like a god after beating it.
5 gives you a crutch with the squad gimmick but then all hell breaks loose during the boss battles.

It wasn't a matter of which gun. On the higher difficulties especially there is just an ammo shortage / weapon availability issue.

Is the game built like that the way CE and 3 were, no it's not, it's linear.

>I swear I am the only person who really liked 4 and even preferred it over 3.
Yeah, you are.

You are being honest here, then you are misremembering it. Getting from dropshit to first forerunner structure, where you have a defence sections will take 4-5min and most of this time is spent in combat. After that there is a long defence section. After that you get a car. Car is indestructable. In order to lose it but also survive it would have to be very contrived event when it somehows drops into chasm or of a cliff while you are not in it.

>Reach is a fucking trial but you will feel like a god after beating it.
Really? Reach legendary felt like CE legendary, which is say what you said (harsh but fair).

>It's Starship Troopers

whoa

Halo 3 has almost the same amount of glitching out of bounds in its campaign as Halo 2's. I know it's just my personal nostalgia talking when I talk about getting out of bounds, I had autism and glitching was my favorite thing to do when playing Halo games, I don't expect everyone to share this sentiment. It's just a side option to spice up your playthrough, is all.

Why the fuck are you here?

In reach most melee attacks one shot you, which is not a case in CE.

>start level
>touch bridge 5 seconds away
>trigger dropship
>wait 20 seconds to kill enemies deployed by dropship
>kill pair of banshees that spawn
>cross bridge
>walk for maybe 15 seconds to a group of Covenant like 50 feet away in some rocks
>kill them and continue on, literally around the corner like 7 seconds away is another dropship attacking marines
>begin scripted sequence of defending central structure and marines against like 5 dropships, each of which are within like 10 seconds walking distance from each other
>after sequence is finished get warthog, maybe 6 or 7 minutes since start of level
>use warthog for rest of level
>all human vehicles in Halo 1 completely impervious to damage, only have to watch your own shields/health - if marines die, park hog and man the gun yourself
>entire level takes maybe 15 minutes to complete

>Car is indestructible
No foolin? Is this in the original CE or the remastered version? Or both? I could be misremembering, I won't lie. It's been a good while since I played it on the MCC.

It works same in original CE, PC port and Aniversary.

>I don't expect everyone to share this sentiment
Not that user but watching channels like CMNeir and Generalkidd and trying to replicate their tricks and getting out of bounds in Halo 3 coop with my friends was the fucking best

Only Covenant vehicles had a health bar in CE.

True, idk it's been awhile since I've played it, I prob should replay it

youtube.com/watch?v=ZVkGtVJVYps

Attached: 1504385726852.jpg (1080x720, 299K)

I still remember watching Generalkidd's video on how to flip the elephant and trying it with my brother.

Then the problem seems to be that I'm simply just shit. Thanks for the heads up, fellas.

My niggers. Sword lunging off each other and corner hopping on top of each others heads to get up on top of buildings was peak shit.