Will it be ever topped?

Will it be ever topped?

Attached: AM2Rlogo.png (198x52, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HIfGKxiH3Ok
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

by what metric

launching?

it's still being updated. currently undergoing a respriting so the game is all original assets.
honestly it's the best fan-game of all time (Barkley Gaiden is in its own category for being a heavy crossover).

Attached: updoot.png (301x208, 32K)

2019 and already forgotten. Lemme guess, you somehow tricked yourself into believing AM2R is a good game because Nintendo was feeling copyright strike happy? It's not a good game.

Will it be ever topped?

Attached: Capture.png (1388x965, 3.22M)

How long before Nintendo remakes this?

That's neat af

Yes.

Attached: metroid-samus-returns-japanese-website.png (1556x741, 2.31M)

I hope they never do. The game's good enough as it is.

oh shit, is someone making a hack of it?

get up

>currently undergoing a respriting so the game is all original assets.

Neat, I thought that idea of doing respriting work completely died out when Nintendo forced DoctorM64 to stop working on the game

>all original
Isn't this literally impossible as long as the character is "Samus Aran"

They'll have to make it Shamus Orin Space Romp or something where you control a blue suited hill billy who fights giant mortoids

I came here to laugh at you

It was ok, but AM2R blows it away

assets as in art assets as in grafics

He said 'original assets' not original ideas

Imagine being part of the team that was making that game at the time AM2R was released and realizing all your work and effort had been outdone by literally one guy.

Am2r wasn't a one man show. youtube.com/watch?v=HIfGKxiH3Ok

Keep seething.

>outdone by literally one guy.

DoctorM64 got a good amount of people contributing to the project. The credits have something like 15 people on the project not counting playtesters

Okay, but it still must have sucked seeing a fan made remake getting so much love and attention while working on a remake of the same game.

I know what he said, it'll still be a copyright violation because characters are copyrights

They can't make the game "safe", Nintendo would still probably sue under grounds that the project gained notoriety only because of their original passing off

Same with Mother 4

why would nintendo sue now rofl

Because they're fucking dicks.

I hate how floaty Samus' jump is and how you have to cycle through missiles rather than it being a toggle.

Who would they even sue at this point? There's no public-facing member of the dev team at this point. It's all faceless people on the internet at this point with the only central source of communication with the community being a Reddit page

>sue fan project
>... to promote the upcoming sequel Metroid Prime 4
innovative marketing

The physics are actually based and let you do things no other Metroid game does, though I agree about having a dedicated missile button.

They'd sue someone, probably the original guy
This isn't about getting something out of it, it's about scaring someone else not to do it. Lawsuits are about establishing precedent, they're extremely expensive

I like AM2R and zero mission more

It's pretty great, certainly BTFO's the shitty 2.5D official remake. However, it's still ultimately held back by the fact that it's a remake of Metroid 2, which has always been mediocre. They do their absolute best to make a very so-so game much better, but there are still fundamental flaws from being an M2 remake.

I hope they move on to making an official Metroid 5 or something like that. The only thing holding AM2R back from being absolutely 10/10 to me is all the baggage from being based on M2.

>probably the original guy

He's not associated with the project and stopped the moment they sent the Cease and Desist. Guy's working for Moon Studios on the new Ori game. It wouldn't hold up at all legally

>someone suing you over something you did wouldn't hold up legally
Yea Forums is so fucking obvious

As much as I loved it, it should have been it's own original game. No one should spend that amount of time and effort on a project they can't ultimately own and profit from.

Attached: 1538065846308.png (671x1047, 384K)

Imagine having such a powerful surge of shitposting intent (Katsui no kusohado) that you cannot resist going all out in a peaceful thread.

How would that even get work to stop on the project? He has no hand in it. I know Nintendo's lawyers are complete cunts, but there is actually fucking no chance of your hypothetical situation happening

>and profit from.

DoctorM64 got a job at Moon Studios for it, so that's something

>How would that even get work to stop on the project?
Could scare whoever's doing it. Again, the point of law is to scare people. They won't get any money out of this, they just don't want people fucking with their IP

If they had brought AM2R to court they would have lost. Your idea of what "no fucking chance" is is irrelevant. The guy used their IP, it's not frivolous even if it would qualify as fair use, the fact that he stopped doesn't make him less guilty and the fact that someone else picked it up doesn't mean he's not a potential target

You can also have "John Doe" added to list of plaintiffs if you can't identify the guilty party. Basically the judgement applies to them if their identity is ever found out.

Not plaintiff, defendant. I'm tired

He got a job because of his fangame. He is working on Ori 2.

>Could scare whoever's doing it.

You don't seem to understand that there are pretty much no public-facing members of the team. There's no website, there's no 'about us,' and the only thing people would have to go on for even figuring someone is on the dev team is if they post in a Reddit thread about working on the project and their username on that site is associated with their real name somewhere else

It's probably a lot easier to recreate something to be better rather to create completely custom maps, which involves attention to design.

>2019
Exactly. It's 2019 and you are stil BTFO.

Someone has to be uploading the files somewhere, if they have a lawsuit they can get subpoenas for IP addresses, ISPs have to cooperate and reveal identities. This is why you're not in trouble when you get a letter from your ISP, btw. They might discontinue your service, but there needs to be a lawsuit over the matter in question before they can legally disclose to any entity who you are. And this is not incidentally where the original author comes in, they sue him to get the subpoena

I was thinking more along the lines of starting his own business rather than chasing a wage.

The guy is Argentinian. The gaming industry is literally 0 in that country. This is definitely a great start for him

>sue
nothing is going to happen

True, but I feel the AM2R team could do it. I think it's clear they were hampered by trying to stay fairly true to the original, afraid of straying too far and being called out for not being a "real remake"

As long as it stays dead, I agree
If this thing resurfaces as "used to be AM2R" then I wouldn't be surprised if something legal happened. Nintendo doesn't want to send the message that "fuck with us and everything will be fine, you can even come back later". It's a bad message. They specifically wouldn't tell the Royale guy what he needed to change. They didn't want him to change. They wanted him gone.

is there a new version?

It doesn't have to be video games, and he could've still gotten a job in the industry with a successful indie game. If something as mediocre as Axiom Verge can get the coverage it got then a great game like AM2R retooled as it's own original property could have more than done it.

>As long as it stays dead, I agree
but it isn't dead, did you even read the thread?

>If something as mediocre as Axiom Verge
it was kinda good

It isn't alive in any meaningful capacity. I haven't even heard of it, if you have to be reading darkweb forums to find links to it, then it's dead. AM2R was being reported on by real journalists. That's what killed it. Make it do that again, I dare you.

It's some of the visual updates they've been working on (some of which I think will be in 1.4.4). All the rest of the respriting to get rid of old official Metroid game assets will happen in 1.5

I remember the creator proclaiming Axiom Verge as "the best modern non-Metroid Metroid game"

Axiom Verge was amazing. Made by one guy too

>darkweb forums to find links to it
is in fucking Reddit user

Attached: k.jpg (250x250, 10K)

>2.5D
>circle pad for movement
>no option to remap control to d-pad

into the trash it goes

Point is it's down to pre-release levels, no one cares because no one knows

Also they're not even offering the game to download, just a patch. So yeah this hasn't happened yet. Change that to them actually offering this game with all the assets changed, gets attention from media as "that metroid 2 remake is back" and let's see what happens

This

The quality has been hit or miss so far, don't get your hopes up too much.
But yeah, it is really neat that the community picked up and started doing the plans the devs laid out after the project shut down.

They do still have links to download the 1.1

I'm just gonna be happy when they fully un-nerf the late-stage Metroids

I mean you can do that manually right now because they were kind enough to provide the tools to do so, but some of the proposed changes to make them tougher sound good.