Game Engines

Id Tech 4 was underrated.

Attached: Id Tech 4.png (460x645, 532K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4HAeJZN4cbo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

reminder that i still need to play original Prey to feel bad about system shocky/half-lifey reboot by arcane. Thanks for heads up!

Attached: BhvzUmo11o0.jpg (640x400, 39K)

>the most overrated engine of it's time is underrated

Attached: ECaounlWkAEPjFT.jpg (975x1200, 174K)

The Id Tech 3 was overrated Id Teach 4 was underrated and forgotten by developers.

it's legit the Crytek engine of it's time
every turbo nerd was circle jerking it
3 had to contend with a ton of competition and the arrival of the new consoles that took heaps of attention away from it

The only engine that competed for most overrated engine was Source, but people were way more interested in the lighting effects back in 2004. It's forgotten now while Source is eternally jerked off sure

id Tech 3 was perfectly rated. id Tech 4 was trash. id Tech 5 is shit.

id tech 4 is a heap of shit and runs very poorly on modern systems.

>reminder that i still need to play original Prey to feel bad about system shocky/half-lifey reboot by arcane.
Why would you feel bad. Original Prey is just a whatever-tier fps whose only notable part is its opening.

i know this is some low tier bait but heres your (you).

in the event that you really do believe that. zoom zoom

Attached: 1568831564705.png (184x184, 57K)

Anyone with Prey 2006 or Quake 4 comment on the game's multiplayer? Never finished Quake 4's Single player and forced myself to finish Prey 2006's and wondering if the mp is decent.

Tech4 was forgotten by developers because Carmack was a dick about licensing it and no one really wanted to touch it with the whole patent issue, so only their long time buddies got a hold of it.

What's the lastest game that used it? Brink?
Anyway, the player movement in that engine really feels weird, unlike the rest of the idtech family

Attached: 3-4yf.jpg (1280x720, 345K)

Also, the gunplay in the engine also feels awful too

>i know this is some low tier bait
Not bait. The game is just Quake 4 with portals. Not bad, not great, just whatever.

>tfw prey was fucked years before it came out
fuck bethesda and fuck 3d realms

Can't say much for Prey but Quake 4 had decent multiplayer. Not Quake 3 tier mind you but I would say
Quake 3 > Quake > Quake 4 > Quake 2

Prey suffers from a combination of neat concepts that doesn't get expanded the further the game goes on. The setting, portal tech, weapons and movement are good, but it doesn't really go anywhere by the end of the game.

you can stop posting now

I'm sorry but that's how I feel about it. The game starts out neat and everything and I like most of the ideas, but some of them didn't go anywhere in a meaningful way past the half way mark and nothing came close to going to the spirit realm for the first time.

Prey > Q4 > D3

Mid-2000s FPS were terrible, though.

Wonder if it's possible to play Prey online with the cracked version since the master server is down and the game does direct IP for multiplayer. After seeing this
youtube.com/watch?v=4HAeJZN4cbo
Quake 4 multiplayer looks interesting seeing how it looks like it has sliding.

Quake Champions has a couple of characters that can Q4 slide, Slash and Strogg I believe.

Quadrilateral Cowboy was the last game to use it.
Brink is also interesting because it did virtual texturing better than Rage.

You forgot 2

Attached: Kino.png (300x360, 233K)

Riddick used its own custom engine.

Really?
It totally looks like Idtech 4

Why would you feel bad about such an amazing game? that shit almost made me glad they killed Prey 2.

>no one really wanted to touch it with the whole patent issue
seemed more like a thing of id providing zero support to developers trying to use it
they were just kind of giving a "well the code is all there to read so you know what to do" kind of stance to everyone, unlike what was being done with the unreal engines

>well the code is all there to read so you know what to do
Based

classic carmack

Attached: 1568754662416.png (531x467, 59K)

His wacky antics means we're stuck with Unity and Unreal everywhere these days.

Arkane's Prey is legitimately a game of the decade candidate.

all they had to do was read