This is the purest kino in videogame form

This is the purest kino in videogame form.

Attached: Metroid Prime.jpg (800x1132, 234K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lZJm7TrEr5I
youtube.com/watch?v=1YFIm-O_YhA
youtube.com/watch?v=Felm9eXsgak
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

is no REmake

Apples and oranges my friend. Both excellent games though. I'd say they are definite 10/10s

Metroid Prime 2 is better

the only stipulation on OP is "purest kino"
I named a game that is more kino
eat shit

Metroid Prime 2 fucking sucks

No it's fucking not. It's a good game, and I'm always amazed at how Retro were able to make it in like a year and a half, but come on. It's bloated, it goes far overboard with the key-hunting collectathon bullshit, beam ammo is an all-around anti-fun game mechanic, the pacing of upgrades is completely out of whack, and the dark world is tedious and unfun.

I still love the game, but I do not understand the contrarians who try to argue it's better than the first.

Playing the game right now, it's okay but Super Metroid is better

Metroid Prime is one of the most overrated games ever made, only eclipses by RE4
What's with Gamecube games being the most overrated games ever? Is this the new nostalgia craze?

>kino
>video games

What did he mean by this?

Attached: 47395A81-9730-4F8F-B718-B3FC48CE21B1.jpg (452x363, 40K)

Being a contrarian doesn't make you cool.

Worshiping an okay game because of a hivemind doesn't make you fit in

Zoomers on Yea Forums who grew up with GameCube first, everyone on this board is a kid

>just today found out you can hear Samus breathing heavy when on low energy
What the FUCK how can I keep finding new things about this game over a decade later.

Bosses are pretty rad tho.

Also the suits are awesome

>Also the suits are awesome
The problem with this in MP2 is that they completely fucked up the progression of new items. You get the light beam, dark beam, and dark suit basically back-to-back at the start of the game. And then you spend what feels like the next 90% of the game with those as your main gear, not getting a new beam or suit until the very very end.

They just needed an excuse to introduce the new gimmicks as soon as possible. Annihilator is also fucking useless and nothing more than a puzzle gimmick and ammo hog.

Which was a mistake, because the thrill of a metroid game is in finding upgrades and getting progressively stronger as the game goes on. It feels like a slog when you spend a huge amount of the game not making any real progress at all in terms of your abilities.

Also, beam ammo was a mistake. Even just in the little things like not being able to just mash the A button shooting everywhere and everything just because it's fun or because you like watching the animations and effects. And people defend it by saying "but beam ammo is plentiful so it's okay!" but that just begs the question of if beam ammo is so plentiful that it doesn't matter, then why have the ammo system at all? It really does just add nothing to the game.

>What's with Gamecube games being the most overrated games ever? Is this the new nostalgia craze?
Those two games mentioned received a shit load of acclaim when they released zoomers

are the controls in this game shit or am I just spoiled by every FPS game in existence having the exact same controls

GC controls are shit but Wii controls are good

This

The complaints about the controls are misguided. It controls no differently than other action-adventure games like zelda, just from a first-person view. lock-on is no different than Z-targeting. It's just that being in the perspective similar to a FPS game fucks with people heads, even though Metroid Prime doesn't play similarly to a shooter whatsoever. The game was designed around it and I find it extremely tight, responsive, and reliable.

Disagree. The wiimote controls feel loose and sloppy, are unnecessary because the games were designed with the original control scheme and lock-on in mind, and it's also tedious switching beams/visors in the trilogy version as well.

The problem with ammo is removing it renders the power beam completely useless. You could call it "balance". And once you got the annihilator, then the other three beams would become useless too. There's no easily achievable compromise between the two that I can see, it's either make the power beam have a reason to exist by itself, or keep the ammo. There's balance issues without ammo and there's antifun issues with it, that's just how it is. There's also the fact that simply due to how the plot is set up, without ammo the light beam would be a no-brainer to use for 95% of the game.
Admittedly, Prime 1 is guilty of this to a different extent. If it weren't for doors and maybe beam pirates, there would really be no reason at all to use anything but plasma, but at least that's borderline endgame.

FPS on a controller

okay, goofball.

Prime 1 handled this a lot better. Also there's nothing wrong with certain beams being overall better than others. That's why they should be properly paced throughout the game so you get the best gear toward the end. That's the whole point.

It's only an issue in MP2 because they decide to hand you the dark/light beams at the very beginning and rely on a boring "lmao light vs dark, dark vs light" gimmick for 90% of the game.
The whole system was just poorly implemented, from head to toe.

While the other two major franchise installments on the GCN (Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker) are heavily overrated and flawed
Metroid Prime deserves all the praise it gets

>343 killed halo with 4 and 5
>bungie killed itself
It's over halofaggots, prime chads WON

The worst Gamecube game I have ever played. There is not a single redeeming quality about any of the 3D Metroids.

The wiimote controls are significantly better and allow for movement a million times more responsive even considering it shouldn't be measured up as an FPS to begin with but as an FPA, but I agree that they aren't without flaws because that's mostly over the pointer alone. Beam/visor switching does get real old and clunky when you need it to happen fast, but unfortunately that's a limitation of the available buttons; the D-pad could be used for one but the other is left hanging, although for me personally it's not a dealbreaker in exchange for the pointer. Besides, you can turn off free aim on lock for the first two games if that's your preference, but for me it's just another layer of fun except for bosses with fucked hitboxes like Omega Pirate or Emperor Ing seriously fuck those two assholes.

Halo isn't dead though, Bungie were killing themselves in 2009, and Halo Infinite will be a huge success along with 2D Metroid 5.

This. Ing hive rise up.

Metroid prime and REmake are the only two GC games that aren't overrated, unless you count viewtiful joe as a GC game

>console """shooter"""
>purest kino
You consolefags never know any better, do you?

It's not a shooter.

i prefer super

Attached: 1567461149014.jpg (792x890, 107K)

They both have very distinctive merits by themselves as masterpieces. There's no reason to pit them against each other as a competition.

Agreed

Prime 2 could and should have been the best, but it's rushed as fuck.

You can add TWEWY and Ghost Trick to the list

Been playing it recently and I will say I was very impressed, really should have tried it sooner. Real shame the artefact hunt burned me out completely, I thought I'd be done once I fought Ridley but saw there was more and just lost all motivation to keep going.

I prefer 2.

Attached: gc_metroid_prime_2_echoes_p_t6c5qn.jpg (1000x1389, 178K)

Nah... It does still look pretty even now, though.

Play Marathon.
That said Metroid Prime is up there for me too. Fantastic game.

Having tried Bungie's early work, I've become curious about Halo too. I guess Halo having its collection come to PC was good timing for me.

Attached: Marathon_logo.png (1018x1024, 57K)

>This is the purest backtracking in videogame form.
FTFY

Unplayable shit bath now. Fuck all you motherfuckers.

Marathon is actually great.
>play it on an apple pippin with a large CRT
It's like I'm at radioshack literally never buying anything from them all over again. Cool demos though.

The artifact hunt isn't even as bad as people make it out to be. I don't even know if most have trouble figuring out the clues or if they only find it tedious, I've had all their locations memorized for years so I might be somewhat desensitized to the entire ordeal.

Gamecube babbies are the worst.
>Smash Melee
>Paper Mario
>Metroid Prime
>Wind Waker
>Mario Sunshine
God forbid anyone criticize any of the above, even if it's a blatant flaw.

>radioshack
>some dude tells me "you know, USB can only transfer data"
Hi, I am also a human from planet earth.

I never had the chance of trying it on older hardware. I just stumbled on to AlephOne one day and had a blast with it. I'm shocked by just how forward thinking and different this game felt from other FPSs of the time while still having roots in them.

I wish the modding scene was more active though. I know some people write it off because it runs at 30fps

For me it was a combination of working out their locations and walking to where I thought they would be, only to be wrong, after spending about 2 hours previously trying to find the plasma beam. Along with the times I went to the right room only to not find the thing necessary to make the artefact appear - the room with the x-ray visor comes to mind here.

I've walked through the exact same portions of Talon, Magmoor and Chozo Ruins so many times trying to figure things out in my head.

Any particular one you remember not nailing down?

I found it boring and dreadful. Walking around slowly with tank controls and scanning stuff, reading, reading, reading, nothing happening, clunky as fuck shooting, lockon that defeats the purpose of shooting. How do you expect me to go from 2D Metroid to this dogshit.
Also no I don't like the music and don't care for the story of fucking Metroid.

I got them all in the end, but the one in the Life Grove that I mentioned gave me the most trouble. It would've been a lot easier if the plate you need to bomb wasn't submerged in murky water, and it was nothing like other bombable places in the game.

Beyond that just walking back and forth a lot was tedious, although maybe I could've been using a shorter route to and from certain places.

you mean ludo?

What the fuck was this thing's problem?

Attached: rare archive picture Orange Phazon before never being seen again.png (1920x1080, 2.39M)

>scanning stuff, reading, reading, reading, nothing happening
>I don't care for the story of fucking Metroid
So you scanned everything you could despite it being completely optional even though you didn't care about the lore?

But what about the joy of backtracking through half empty rooms for 80% of the time avoiding fighting enemies because you just waste resources?
What about the pleasure of spending the remaining 20% of the time planning a route on the map? Isn't the pause screen fun???

Truly a masterpiece of game design.

Time to use the Morph ball AGAIN because you need to go through that one tunnel AGAIN!
Check out that cool secret spot and you might even get a juicy reward of +5 rockets carry limit!
WOW! EXCITING!

>lockon that defeats the purpose of shooting
The Gamecube didn't have proper dual analog. It may not have been THE best solution, I think the team did well with what they had.

It is.

>But what about the joy of backtracking through half empty rooms for 80% of the time avoiding fighting enemies because you just waste resources?
?

>What about the pleasure of spending the remaining 20% of the time planning a route on the map? Isn't the pause screen fun???
???

What is this post? Who's experience is this detailing? It surely was not mine.

It was old and tired. The reason you didn't see it again is because it retired

Everyone who actually cares about them knows they’re all flawed gems by now.

He sounds like the sort of passive-aggresive zoomer faggot that would go "isn't it fun to hit the jump button for the millionth time when you're playing Mario haha", i.e. an ADHD retard that expected instant gratification from motherfucking Metroid.

Maybe not make a first person shooter then, ever thought of that?

What else do you do in that game? It's all walking around. There's a few puzzles, a few fights, a tiny bit of movement and platforming.
Most of it is checking the map and just walking around. Maybe you shoot a snail or pull a lever in every room at most.
I never understood what the "good" part of the game was supposed to be. And I finished it.
I liked fighting space pirates and bosses. But how often does that happen? Mostly you shoot at worms and bats.

Shut up cunt you have to scan the right stuff to progress and the only way to do that is to scan everything. And there's information you get by scanning in order to advance that is drowned in a sea of fucking lore.

Go fuck yourself by shoving your shitty game up your ass. I hate it when cunts like you try to appear smart by spewing that kind of nonsensical crap, I hated it in high school and I still hate it today.

I fully finished Mario Bros. 1 more times than you played the first level.
I can tell you're a drone who gets his opinions from the internet.

You just reminded me how horrible the map system in this game this.

2D Metroid are maybe my favourite games (especially Super and Fusion), Metroid Prime is to me the most overrated one, I can't find a single enjoyable quality about it. I have no idea how it got so huge.

>expected instant gratification from motherfucking Metroid.
t. never played 2D Metroid.

faggot

Calm down there bud, you're showing how little you actually know.
The only things you ever need to scan are bosses for weak points or fighting tips - which is probably the only time you'll ever need to scan an enemy anyway, elevators, and a control panel in maybe 5 rooms max in the whole game, and even then the exact thing you need to scan in these cases is always a red square, so you can just ignore the orange ones.

Scanning absolutely everything is probably the worst possible way of playing this game unless you are actively trying for the 100% scan ending, which shouldn't be done on a first playthrough anyway. Stop being mad at a game for playing it wrong.

>oh no I have to READ
>what the FUCK what is this nerd shit in this awful game
>completely glosses over the fact that whatever necessary scans exist are almost always highlighted in bright red and no longer than one textbox
You'd probably be more at home playing Fortnite with your schoolyard pals.

I agree

Play PrimeHack

Attached: prime2.webm (960x540, 2.91M)

I liked the Dark World of MP2 and the bosses. Other than that, nah, MP1 was sooooo better. Also, wanting a first person style spin off of a federation squad on the front lines of the space pirate war and shit. it would be pretty fucking rad.

I like Prime but I agree with the complaint about the map. It was especially bad in Prime 2 which had lots of areas with multiple levels that would make the map confusing as all fuck to read.

What's this and how?

>TWEWY
Fuckin weebs

youtube.com/watch?v=lZJm7TrEr5I
youtube.com/watch?v=1YFIm-O_YhA
youtube.com/watch?v=Felm9eXsgak
Makes it play like a native PC title with mouse and keyboard

Attached: 1034577850793984.jpg (750x804, 40K)

GameCube had tons of gems, all crippled by a rushed development.

Sweet.

its literally system shock for 8 year olds

i really like games that put your knowledge of the world to the test during the end

No way. 2 dragged on way too much.

Prime 2 had cool bosses and some cool scenery, but that's about it.

Chykka is among my favorites in the trilogy, along with Thardus, unfortunately the bosses in 3 were always pretty forgettable to me except the last fight. The three big area bosses of 2 are all great in their own way, but I'm not too fond of the music for Amorbis and Quadraxis, though I do love Chykka's which probably plays a part in my liking of the fight as a whole and why I don't like 3's bosses all that much.

>kino
I hate you and I hate your stupid buzzword

Attached: you have to go back.png (84x80, 2K)

based

Is there a difficulty mod or something I could use so that this doesn't completely trivialize the game?

You sound upset.

The fun generally comes from exploring the world and finding new routes, pathways, often by finding new tools that open up your options manifold. I would compare it to Dark Souls in that the combat mechanics aren't really the draw, nor are the random enemies, it's how you go through a world and solve the challenges that it throws at you.

I also really like hidden shortcuts/power ups/pathways and finding them.

That is fun.

hypermode fuccer

Even hypermode is a little bit too tame for Prime 1. The biggest difficulty spike is the omega pirate and that's if you don't know what you're doing.