What's a good upgrade from a 1060?

What's a good upgrade from a 1060?
My brother's birthday is next week and I'm thinking about getting him a new GPU.
Split between a 2060 Super and 5700 XT.

Attached: obrazek[1].jpg (720x469, 71K)

I feel like a 2060 isn't going to be a noticable performance upgrade from a 1060
if you're gonna upgrade an already relatively modern card for hundreds of dollars just go with a 1080ti, 20xx meme cards arent worth it above 2060

From a 1060 I'd say it's kinda too early to upgrade, unless you want to get into 4K and/or 144fps. At most it just mean a few lower settings for common 1080p@60fps use and they hardly make a difference.

what exactly are you upgrading for? are you getting a new monitor? are you playing some sort of game that the 1060 can't handle? why upgrade?

Depends, what kinda monitor is he rockin'?

1080p for now, but he wants to buy a 1440p screen soonish.

yeah alright, that'll get a bit hard for a 1060 now

that's a cool gift for your bro, but the 1060 is still decent

i went from a 970 to a 1070 ti OC edition, because it's neck and neck to a 1080.

I wanted better than a 970 performance but at 1440p, and 1070ti delivers

Get him a 5700 or a 5700xt, and make sure he gets a 144hz monitor when he decides to upgrade, so he can stretch the legs of those cards.

Is this genuine advice or AMDfag shenanigans?

AMD offers good price/performance
If you want to fastest cards bar none, Nvidia is what you want, but if you're working at the kinda price range you're looking for, it's kinda hard to beat AMD's prices.

>tfw rocking your nvidia card and been quite happy with it, your brother comes up with an AMD card. You try your best to look thankful but deep down you feel nothing but disappointment.

Attached: .jpg (676x960, 69K)

xx60 series is a poor man's choice

The 2070 and 2060S are almost the same, 2060S has like 2 disabled SMs.

>Split between a 2060 Super and 5700 XT.
5700 XT, but for various reasons now all of sudden I'm going for 2070 Super

well, he'll definitely be happy with that and should satisfy whatever monitor he gets

Been very happy with my 2070 and think it'll last me for a long time

Why don't you ask him what he wants?

I have r9 390 right now and planning to buy vega 64, hope im not making an oopsie, hehe.

Because then it would not be a surprise.

OP here, I'm not that guy. 2070 Super is a bit more than I'm willing to spend, budget is ~12 000 slavbucks.

what's the best card if I'm only going for 1080p 60fps ultra on modern and next-gen games? something I won't have to upgrade for a few years at least

5700 minimum.

Attached: 5700 xt.png (1503x972, 287K)

That's the thing - the 5700 XT is a little bit faster, but lacks raytracing. Plus the usual AMD jank.
Tough choice.

>Raytracing
>On RTX 2060
Yeah, enjoy 20 fps.

Works well on my 2060s

I'm planning on buying a RTX 3xxxx when that comes out for emulation because amd opengl drivers are non existent and devs refuse to switchto Vulkan even though it benefits nvidia users as well.
However from all the video's I've seen up till now. Raytracing is a gigantic meme that runs awful. Most RTX2060-2070 video's I've watched with RTX on struggle even with 1080p 60fps unless they turn on DLSS which makes the game look objectively worse. Did this change?

A used 1080 ti is by far the best you can get, if you really want a new card then 5700XT or 2070 Super would be okay choices, though the 5700XT is still a buggy piece of shit that i wouldn't recommend to casual users.

i bet he wouldnt even need an upgrade from a 1060. what games can he not play with a 1060 now?

I'd rather get him a new monitor to be honest. Too early to upgrade from 1060 unless you aim for the very high end.

Not really there's no games to play and no games needs an RTX yet.

1060 can't maintain 60 fps in some new releases without lowering settings anymore, i'd say upgrading to a card that'll allow him to max everything and have 60 fps for years to come isn't a bad idea, especially if he wants to up his resolution later.

The 3060

If you're looking to hand-me-down your 1060 to him replace the 1060 with a 5700 or 5700XT whatever your budget can afford.

Time.
The 1060 is fine, don't waste your money, just wait another generation or three.

No, I'm looking to buy him a new GPU, not buy myself one and give him my old one.

>1060 can't maintain 60 fps in some new releases without lowering settings anymore
Such as?

That's kinda pointless at this time, 1060 can't really feed a 1440p screen, I'd just be putting him in a position where he'd have to buy a new video card.

The reference 5700 XT is so fucking sexy

Control, Metro Exodus, Borderlands 3. Just off the top of my head.

Control and Gears 5

And so fucking loud and hot.

It looks like a baby that fell on its head while the skull was still soft.

Neither can 2060 though.

That's not true, 2060 can do 60+ fps in every game that's currently on the market unless you turn on raytracing or have a shit CPU.

1. It can
2. I'm talking about the 2060 Super, not the vanilla card.

>unless
Then it can't.

If 60 FPS is your objective, then optimize for that. If playing at maximum settings is your objective, then optimize for that. If playing absolutely every game with both at max is your objective, then I either envy or feel sympathy for your wallet. As far as I'm concerned, turn off some of the stuff that's resource intensive but barely noticeable and/or you did just fine without until very recently and spend 1000 every 3 years instead of 5000 every year.

get him a 5700 or 5700xt with aftermarket fans on it. If you can't afford either get a 1660ti

If you wanna play at 60 fps with RTX then you literally need a $700+ card at the minimum, even at 1080p.
That feature is obviously not ready for actual gameplay yet, under any circumstance that doesn't involve halfbaked future tech, the 2060 manages 1080p perfectly fine and will for a long time.
That's like saying it's the card's fault for not running at 60fps when you install a ton of shaders, there's always gonna be scenarios where you can make any card run like shit.

Why are you recommending a buggy shitcard to someone who's probably not very well versed when it comes to computers?
I think getting a 2060S would be a far wiser choice for someone who doesn't wanna have to troubleshoot shit and wants to be sure that it works properly in every game, the 5700/XT (all AMD cards, really) runs horribly in non-AAA PC exclusives, old games or some emulators.

I learned this lesson the hard way, AMD GPUs have shitty software, Nvidia control panel is godly in comparison