Which one is the quintessential Nippon Souls game?

Attached: Nioh_1_1.thumb.jpg.549066feacfb385fc7ae0e1ab47fc45e.png (1000x500, 960K)

Nioh is vastly superior when it comes to representing nippon folklore.

and sekiro is vastly superior when it comes to combat and gameplay

They're completely different games and neither are like Dark Souls. But I guess Sekiro is the most similar to Souls.

Nioh is a pretty bad game in general. The combat is fun but you fight the same 5 enemies over and over and over and over in repetitive repeating areas for 30 hours.

Nioh isn't a Souls game. It's an action rpg hack n' slay.

souls games are also action rpgs?

>you fight the same 5 enemies over and over and over

stop playing on easy mode then

Sekiro is a much better game. Nioh is a bloated piece of shit.

Nioh obviously. Sekiro is alright though.

Not even close. Sekiro isn't a boring piece of trash with shit levels, enemies, and bosses.

>vastly superior when it comes to combat and gameplay
lmao no
get miyazaki's cock out of your mouth

>Sekiro isn't a boring piece of trash with shit levels, enemies, and bosses
Nioh too

>isn't

Yes

Nioh is a great samurai game, Sekiro is a great ninja game. I don't see why they can't coexist

Isn't that what the souls games are? Nioh just speeds up the gameplay.

I don't know weebshit but Nioh is a fucking atrocity. Anyone who finds enjoyment in playing that game needs to be put down. Fuck turboautist buildfags.
I'll take a game with zero replayability over that shit any day of the week.

Attached: homelander-3-1014x570.jpg (1014x570, 38K)

Sekiro: solid fundamental mechanics but very poor advanced mechanics and integration of specials into the gameplay (combat arts are mostly atrocious, you can only equip 1, prosthetic tools are by the most part poorly balanced), amazing boss, enemy and level desgn. No replayability, no playstyle variety.
Nioh: an amazing combat system both in terms of fundamentals and advanced mechanics, great self-contained DeS-style enemies, mediocre bosses and normal enemies. Ton of replayability and playstyle variety.

Both are great in their own right. Neither are souls games.

Nobody forces you into making highly specialized builds, autist

lol I can tell you played less than an hour

Literally 3 double-boss fights away from the platinum, you dumbfuck nigger. I wanted a game to make up for the sekiro vacuum once I completed it and tried incredibly hard to like this game. Not my fault it's a pile of shit meant for muttbrained speds like you to eat up.

Attached: 1568820541858m.jpg (688x1024, 196K)

it is not difficult to make a decent build, you respec easily, and you don't need to worry about the nitty gritty shit until NG+ anyways. get gud.

>he cares about achievements enough to play the games he hates
It feels so good that we're getting Nioh 2 so your autistic ass will be forces to endure another 100 hours thanks to your sheer incompetence.

Attached: 1552090438365.jpg (748x1080, 319K)

Not everyone is Otaku Rain Man, turbo.

Attached: 1568755841237.gif (300x300, 438K)

There's no reason to worry about "builds" in first place. They are only needed if you're shit with combat system fundamentals. Equip Kato and you already have all the melee power you need to steamroll the game up to the highest difficulty

I enjoyed Nioh a lot more than Sekiro I really suck at Sekiro for some reason, but neither are bad by any means

Attached: Nioh_20180802223640.jpg (1920x1080, 543K)

You're a faggot spic with shit-for-brains takes and fewer people will care about your faggot game than will about your death. Neck yourself, shitlet.

Attached: 1568446192021.png (1131x1080, 362K)

Sekiro wins!

Nioh sold almost 3 million copies and sequel will sell even more
Looking at your impotent rage is fun, you're like a shit flinging monkey

Nioh feels bullshit because the enemies don't follow the same rules

Imagine being a fucking shill for Nioh kek kill yourself you fucking loser go farm shit for hours to make another armor piece you fucking homo

Attached: 1568771438237.jpg (1059x1033, 98K)

Like what? You're aware that by definition, yokais follow different rules than humans?

If you ever farmed for anything in Nioh you're a shit player
Oh wait, you are a shit player

Human bosses only start cheating at higher NG+ levels at which point you're a cheater too

Sekiro is not a soulslike. It's an action adventure with some ending choice and light stealth elements. That being said I enjoyed it immensely and is my current GOTY.

Attached: 57129599_758013547932763_7817223413709144064_n.png (666x960, 1.25M)

>Yokai runs out of stamina
>Doesn't affect him
>It's OK because he's a yokai lol xd

I just wish there were more supernatural enemies and creatures to fight in Sekiro.

When yokai runs out of stamina he loses poise you absolute mouthbreather, in many cases he falls and is open for a finishing strike.

The demon of hatred was shitty though, it was like they put a Bloodborne boss in the Sekiro engine as though that would be fun to fight.

Jump off a bridge, Pedro. No one cares about your furfaggot companion sim.

Attached: 1567575849162.png (494x388, 194K)

>Mouthbreather
I never understood this reddit insult, or asshat

You care enough to sperg out repeatedly

Neither of them are souls games you turbo fag.

Sekiro has more soul. Both games are bad, but sekiro is more aesthetic and actually tells a classical Shinto buddhist tale while nioh is pure cliched schlock.

Attached: 1533143595040.gif (250x250, 460K)

>bad game

Nioh is a fucking amazingly fun game with absurd amounts of replay value. Sekiro is an amazingly fun game, just with less mindless/pointless content to extend it's length.

They're both 9.5/10 IMO.

>S-stop being mean to my game!
>Pls no bully!
Kill yourself, pathetic fag

Attached: EC9QQVVU8AAPtDQ.jpg (540x720, 35K)

Uhhh Sekiro had plenty of supernatural enemies. Ghosts, animals, gremlins, a demon, a dragon, ogres, lightning blue people. Anymore and the supernatural would've probably became oversaturated. The supernatural and varied human fighters creates a nice balanced blend.

If your chimpout is what you call "being mean to the game", you should really become a game journo.
We need more comedians.

This
First time through I kept thinking the game was going to go full FROM with wierd enemies and shit but they held back. Still great though.

I feel the opposite. Humanoid enemies are, with zero exceptions, always more fun to fight in games like these

Dunno about Sekiro, but Nioh is incredibly boring.

Nigger just kill yourself already. You got your gash distended because other people are callinh your tardbait bullshit out for the grindfest that it is and being the autist you are, you need to tie your self-worth to people's opinions about this game so of course you cry and shit your pants when anyone dunks on it. Just go ahead and kill yourself, already.

Attached: 1568451264559.jpg (750x376, 18K)

Crying about evil people playing in games you dislike seems to be your specialty
But by all means, keep bumping the thread

Reminder that we're getting a naginata scythe in Nioh 2

Attached: 1562448340342.webm (728x408, 426K)

sekiro has like 3 attacks. nioh has movesets in 3 different stances.

Why not just a normal naginata?

Because it will be too close to the simple spear moveset.
They are saying they want to focus on more exotic new weapon types for the sequel, hence the hatchets and the literal trick weapon.

that can be customized

Nioh is good for coop, Sekiro has way better combat though.

Not to mention the fact Sekiro doesn't have anything like ki pulse or flux adding a layer of complexity to stamina regeneration.

>Sekiro has way better combat though
Not at all. It's literally barebones in terms of pure combat mechanics.
It has a better exploration than Nioh thanks to the grapple if anything. But in terms of pure combat Nioh is ten times more complex.

So what? More doesn't equal better. Dmc has a fuckton of offensive options that are all wasted on enemies that don't fight back.

the combat in nioh is weightless, i hate it

Like I said in a different post, sometimes less is more. Sekiro shines in enemy design, especially bosses.

>tfw so bad in hack'n'slash/action games that I can't even beat the first boss.

Attached: blade-runner-2049-1300x532.jpg (1300x532, 38K)

Nioh is an ARPG, not a cuhrayzee.
It both has far more options than Sekiro and it balances those options better. You're always heavily rewarded for switching stances and learning movesets. Specials are far better integrated into the gameplay than ATROCIOUS Sekiro's combat arts that are by the most part are complete shit.
Sekiro got the absolute fundamentals right, but it never managed to evolve them into anything. Nioh has both good fundamentals and advanced mechanics.

The only place where Sekiro beats Nioh combat-wise is boss design, but even then you see a shitload of missed opportunities with how those battles don't even take prosthetics and combat arts into consideration.

You're right, but those bare bones are polished to perfection.

You can't even jump in nioh.

What polished to perfection is just deflection and r1. That's it.
The further you go from them, the poorer combat design is. Taisman system is garbage. Prosthetics themselves are grossly underpowered compared to deflection and standard attack chain. Combat arts are utter shit with the exception of Ichimonji and only because it breaks boss AI a bit.

but Nioh makes use of it all. pleb players will play with low and maybe when they're comfortable they'll switch to medium stance and stick there. pros switch between them all depending on the situation for optimal and efficiency's sake.

Prosthetic make bosses easier, like the spear to pull out the centipede from the monkey, or umbrella to block DoH fireballs.

I have way more fun replaying Sekiro than Nioh.

Nioh is just a wannabe game. Sekiro is the real answer to Nippon Souls and it's way more memorable and polished like a good game should be.

>whataboutism
>No actual argument
>Fallacious as fuck
Yikes

You can with spears and it enables aerial dodges through boss attacks.
Between that, multiple dodge speeds depending on your stance, weapon type specific dodges like Mind's Eye there's more than enough evasion variety in Nioh

I have not played Nioh yet, so I cannot give really an opinion. But I love Sekiro and it is the most japanese game in existence considering how loyalty it is a main topic on it.

Nioh has better and deeper gameplay than Sekiro, it also explores folklore a lot more.

>Prosthetic make bosses easier, like the spear to pull out the centipede from the monkey, or umbrella to block DoH fireballs.
Those are just boss specific gimmicks. They are not integrated into every fight. they are rare as fuck too. Call me when Sabimaru is worth using. Call me when Mist Raven stops being a waste of 2 spirit emblems. Call me when axe will become useful for anything aside from beating 5 shielded enemies in the entire game.

Sekiro hands down. I didn’t mind Nioh, but you could tell it was limited by budget. You could easily spam the same combo in Nioh and it becomes easy mode since enemy variety is weak as hell. It also had some of the blandest environments with copy pasted textures. Nioh 2 looks like another low budget game.

You guys are talking about how Nioh references folklore a lot, but Sekiro explores a lot of traditional nip themes like shintoism, honor and duty, and it does it very well.

Please PLEASE go back to >>>/reddit/ holy shit

they run out stamina and lose their poise, please learn what the fuck you're talking about dipshit

Sabimaru is free pressure, helped me quite a bit against snake eyes. Mist Raven helped me get one of the snake's fruit. I don't have the same problems you do with the game.

They simply do different things. Nioh is amazing for teaching you about japanese folkore. It has probably the best 3D renditions of different yokai i've ever seen. Sekiro is a more nuanced story that requires having certain historical knowledge to understand its references in first place, like who the fuck the Ministry forces are.

But the ganeplay loop of sekiro is just fundamentally more satisfying. The parry, counter, dodge, jump system just feels more engaging and fun than anything in nioh. Yes, sekiro lacks variety, and the arts are weak ajd useless, but the gamefeel is so far ahead that nioh feels like trash in comparison.

>Sabimaru is free pressure
Also free no damage in exchange for eating your spirit emblems. Any pressure it does, R1 does better. Its only gimmick is poisoning okami, and that doesn't extend to the bosses.

only if you are very keen on the parry mechanic. Nioh lets you play without parrying once if that's what you want to do

300 hours of kino you mean. it's bloated and the loot system could be improved by adding a few named weapons/items dropping from certain bosses.

Nioh has all those elements as well. In fact it has incredibly satisfying anti-human gameplay flow with lots of parries, guard breaks and stance switching. There's nothing in Sekiro that can match the satisfaction of utterly breaking humanoid with odachi stance combos.

Bullshit. Nioh is anime crap. Sekiro is atleast grounded.

Tenchu is the real answer.

Only if you want a stealth game. If you want action, both Sekiro and Nioh are much better options.

Nioh offers you lot of different moves and attacks with a variety of weapons. But it also has crap enemy variety and terribly boring locations.

Sekiro also offers tons of variety but only in the special moves department, limiting their usage. Your bread and butter combo is much more limited.

However Sekiro has amazing enemies, enemies you have to take into consideration and adjust yourself to because of the parrying mechanic.

What Sekiro proves is that a game is not about what you can do, it's about what the enemies can do. And between the 60th ashigaru and a 15 foot shit-flinging monkey demon I think I know where my money goes.

I disagree. I don't think it feels half as good.

There are a billion action games though but so few good stealth games.

Fundamentally my ass, Nioh has like several different parries and counters across multiple weapons each with different effects, all polished to a tee and with purpose, Seriko feels basic and bare bones in comparison, how anyone could prefer it over Nioh is beyond me unless they're a soulsdrone who just prefers one over the other because of it's branding

>But it also has crap enemy variety and terribly boring locations.
Sekiro and Nioh's enemy variety is exactly on par with each other.
And locations are literally what you should expect from Sengoku era Japan. If you dislike atmospheric abandoned rainy shrines or a shinobi mansion with traps you're a faggot.

I like both but I think Nioh is more Japanese if that's what you mean.

I think you meant to say onimusha

Nioh: Souls x Borderlands
Sekiro: Souls x Tenchu

>Dmc has a fuckton of offensive options
Thats literally the selling point,remove that?DMC dies

Attached: thot.webm (288x360, 224K)

Grappling and items were completely pointless so no

I don't understand why you think variety is an argument. Sekiro has less but the less it has is more satisfying to use. And I'm not a souls drone. Frankly I'm not a huge fan of either, but sekiro wins out.

>more complex means it's better
fucking Niohfags. Your game is derivative garbage.

Nobody cares what it feels like to you. That's not an argument.

Maybe on Nioh's wiki page you can find the same enemy numbers but the vast majority of the enemies are just dudes with spears/swords. I think they added some more enemy variety to nioh later but that was way way after the game's release and I never played that. Plus you have the fact that Sekiro's idea of a dude with a naginata is a bouncing okami in a beautiful shrine location while nioh has you running around dreary caves with zero visual stimulus.

Sekiro takes all the boring shit Nioh does and makes it a bit more interesting.

>a more complex combat oriented game is better than a less complex combat oriented game
Amazing, right?

That's not true though. Complexity does not equal quality.

Keep it, and add good enemy design.

>literally a single level and a couple side missions take place in a cave
KAY

Nioh is for people who like Japan
Sekiro is for people who pretend to like Japan

>but the vast majority of the enemies are just dudes with spears/swords
You mean like basic Ashina troops and bandits that are used in several locations and later recycled for the misty forest?
Nioh features a good amount of unique yokai that absolutely bring enemy variety on par with Sekiro. In fact there's considerably more actually threatening endgame enemies in Nioh compared to Sekiro.

Everybody here cares a lot about what other posters think. It doesn't get farther than being upset when people disagree with you though, but this alone is enough to keep the whole board going.

It's an amazing thing Nioh has both quality and complexity!

Nioh doesn't go deeper than referencing history and folklore. Sekiro represents nip philosophy better.

Variety isn't my argument, I'm saying Nioh's core gameplay loop not only more feels more satisfying but also have even more variety and complexity than what Seriko has to offer, nothing feels in Seriko felt as good parrying an enemy with 1kat and frame-perfect iai slashing a down enemy

Except sekiro actually dives deeper in japanese mythology while nioh just creams in as many references as possible

>Nioh has better and deeper gameplay than Sekiro

Attached: 432.gif (480x270, 1.89M)

>blocks you're path

Attached: JINJOU NI SHOBU.jpg (1678x1074, 393K)

Ki pulse is about adding a risk-reward system to stamina which Souls games are built around. It ties in with the RNG enemy moveset where you can decide to potentially get more by waiting longer on your pulse but you open yourself to the enemy moveset and risk losing more stamina by getting hit before pulsing. In Souls games you would just spend stamina on attacks once you 100% know you have a safe opening, otherwise you just roll and you always have enough stamina to roll if you play safe. There is almost no incentive for risk-reward gameplay. That layer of complexity makes decisionmaking more important and makes fights more engaging, unlike Sekiro where you just play Simon Says, you dumb gorilla.

>you're
Nioh plebeians

Only ds3

no!

Attached: Nioh_20171109131947 (1).webm (750x422, 2.86M)

Nioh has good, perhaps freer combat than Sekiro in terms of options, builds, variety, etc. But its mission-based structure drags the game down a lot.

I think Sekiro is the better nippon-representative game for how much more exploring you do, makes you feel more immersed. That, and I prefer Sekiro's combat.

>nioh
Jrpg plot where mister weeb goes sightseeing in the japanese folk creature theme park
>sekiro
Attempt at telling a story about a man stuck in a samsaric cycle of asura rebirth, struggling to break free.
It sounds a bit biased put like that, but both things can be done well. But I think sekiro is easily the more "authentic" nippon shinto buddhist experience, it's just not as overt as nioh.

Attached: oXSwdRI_d.jpg (640x360, 26K)

When will someone make a souls game where you're not playing in a world that's basically dead? I like the gameplay but the settings are obnoxious. Intersperse my fun combat with big sprawling cities and living culture, not doing people in a world that's already done for

Attached: 1549629162559.png (565x541, 157K)

the world of Nioh isn't dead. it has dead people in it but the world is very much alive

It doesn't feel it. You always since to a place and everything is fucked and misery

Nioh's world is full of sentient people like looters snooping around

maybe play assassin's creed

But that's not fun

The misty forest is just a tiny area, the bandits are in the flashback level only and the Ashina army is only in Ashina. Outside of these areas you run into crazy gun ninjas, okami, creepy midget people. The Ashina troopers are also more varied with the giant hammer fatties, chained ogre, comically oversized samurai spicing things up so even in Ashina the variety is higher than in nioh which sprinkles it's demon enemies sparingly.

>Both games are bad
>nioh is pure cliched schlock
nioh is literally telling history crossed with faithful Japanese folklore you uncultured fuck

Nioh is literally just a shitty anime version of the sengoku jidai which everyone already knows about. Sekiro goes into obscure buddhist philosophy and shit. Who knew that centipedes represent corruption in japanese buddhism before playing sekiro?

> terribly boring locations.
this meme needs to die
nioh's levels are good for video game standards, they are just not great like From's levels, since From's strongest aspect is exactly their level designs

Nioh gets it doubly bad since it's the 260th game set during the warring states period of Japan. If it was set in mesoamerica and you were some conquistador fighting weird aztec bird demons the game wouldn't get as much flak.

>260th game set during the warring states period of Japan

name even 26 games set during the 戦国時代

Attached: shigeru.jpg (290x324, 23K)

> it's the 260th
lol, what?

the recent samurai renaissance in gaming started exactly with Nioh you tard. Before that we haven't got a game in this setting since pretty much fucking Onimusha, and that series is pretty much where the popularity of this setting ends, unless you want to dig up some really obcure titles.

not like this has anything to do with my post about level design

Finished both. Sekiro is way better.

>the game gets good in NG+++++++++++ i fucking swear, just give it like 60 hours

Agreed. Nioh got old real quick. Not a bad game, just not for me.

The entire game revolves around pressing parry at the right time. It's combat isn't that deep

Ah yes, of course. My demons and dragons are more realistic than yours.

>you fight the same 5 enemies
That's Sekiro

SMT

Wholesome user

Name?

Sekiro is a great straightforward action-adventure game

Nioh is a real brainlet filter tho. Most people really don't realize how the game was meant to be played and they end up playing it very similarly to how they would play a From souls game, ending up having a mediocre experience. There is just so much Nioh offers.

Still, I think Sekiro overall manages to outshine Nioh with how pure kino it's presentation is.However if Nioh2 keeps up the quality of the alpha then Nioh2 will be easily the best 'soulslike' of all, like no contest. These first 2 levels in the alpha were a noticeable upgrade from Nioh's levels in literally every aspect, level design, enemy variety, visual presentation, enemy placement, and just in general there are a lot more new cool shit you can do.

Attached: nioh2 youkaitr.webm (1280x720, 2.95M)

I like both.

Attached: 1413216389231.jpg (682x576, 36K)

Fucking asshole. Died to him like 20 times the first time around. Felt so good handing him his ass in NG.

>Samsara
>obscure philosophy
Go read a book, brainlet.

the one featuring nobunaga

Wtf, is that Nioh 2? You can turn into a fucking oni??

I could never finish Nioh, I always get bored like 2/3 way in. I don't even know why as I enjoy the combat, but suddenly lose all interest in the game

there are whole youkai devil triggers with their own movesets and also tons of unique ability transformations/summons you can learn from enemy youkai with all sorts of utilities (like digging yourself in the ground and moving underground, hurling yourself into the enemy like a cannon ball, summoning skeleton archers, etc.)

Woah, I sure missed a whole lot. I heard there's a beta coming out soon. Is it true?

Is it the levels and areas themselves? Something's off about them put I can't put my finger on it. They often feel real boxy and 'flat', if that makes any sense.
Things like this are part of it. The level has a few neat shortcuts but I can't walk over this hill at all? It's worse than DS2's Winter Shrine.

Attached: shrined.jpg (1920x1080, 415K)

Nioh is a souls game. Sekiro is a rhythm game.

I think the level design is part of it, the maps are just so boring and uninteresting. Feels like I'm playing the same level but with different textures

Nioh still has better combat than Sekiro somehow so Nioh for me.

This
based and truthpilled

i haven't played either, but i am looking forward to nioh 2.

Agreed. Nioh is way more complex but less fun.

>Nioh
>souls
Nah.

Nioh has better gameplay and the variety you would expect from a souls-like.