How does Half-Life still look great?

How does Half-Life still look great?

Attached: 1568817573146.jpg (1920x1080, 276K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/j7jelqvvzxE
youtu.be/xB5qj3ByqWk
youtu.be/aqEcb-sePUA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it doesn't

It doesn't. Silent Hill 2 and 3 does however, and they're older.

Good lighting can save garbage models/textures.

The orange box engine makes the game look better than it did on launch

lol sit this one out

Excellent art direction. I used to have the raising the bar book, and it was very clear that a lot of love and soul was put in it.

Top notch art direction. Same guy did Dishonored 1 and 2. Love what he does with color

Attached: wadfppqbumchn90ckqad.jpg (1920x695, 336K)

Art direction.

?

>that chainlink fence elbow

Attached: 1554173835028m.jpg (1024x576, 68K)

It doesn't look great, but it's absolutely quaint

True. SH3 completely stock has better looking character models than HL2. It's crazy.

Anyone have /hr/ screenshots?

Attached: SH3.jpg (1920x1080, 808K)

Because it's simply a nice drawing.

Only doing this because you made me chuckle a bit.

Attached: tenor (10).gif (480x238, 1.2M)

At least 2 was a good game.

Looks dated, but I'll still take this over pubg or fortnite

>those wall/floor textures
Nope

It really doesn't, it aged like absolute ass.

amazing looking water in this game

t.

Attached: 1312315.jpg (1280x720, 97K)

It's a 2003 ps2 game.

Source is the most outdated meme trash, you would have to be a young kid with no prior knowledge of gaming or a 30-something friendless outcast to find this shit enjoyable today

you also have to be 21 to post on Yea Forums

Which is why it does not belong in this thread

Still the best movements in any fps engine I've experienced. Stay seething and dilate

youtu.be/j7jelqvvzxE

youtu.be/xB5qj3ByqWk

I'm 23, this game was always fuck ugly and you can easily tell you're sitting on some platform in the middle of a void because the backgrounds are non existent. Same thing in left 4 dead. The slidey movement is fucking retarded and stood out in portal where precision movement was a lot of the gameplay

Source is a great engine, it's just that Half Life 2 looks like ass.

I love that you bring up the ice rink movement for fps games lmao

These graphics are geniunely fucking insane. Black fucking magic.

>I'm 23

So you were fucking underaged back then, gtfo your opinion is worthless

It really doesn't Especially when you compare the entire model and not just the faces.

Attached: aaa-865x405.jpg (865x405, 113K)

what the fuck are you talking about, retard

>you were underage back then

Wow that is some incredible logic, no wonder you guys eat this meme game up

>your opinion doesn't matter and definitely does not piss me off that is why I am responding to it

something about it feels so real, even compared to much newer and higher-fidelity games. i think its how bleak it can be, including in this screenshot. how many games use that dull, grey, overcast weather?

No filters

It was designed by a human being, not a humanoid lizard with hands growing out of its asshole.

check out the artist called Craig Mullins. that nigga done a lot of video game art professionally. I bet you'd like them

source engine movement is the exact opposite of slidey you fucking retarded zoomer

the lighting and shadows are raytraced when the map is compiled
same reason Mirror's Edge looked real nice

the engine has been updated since launch

even with the enhanced edition of silent hill 2 you're still wrong

stabbystabby perfected the tf2 montage video
youtu.be/aqEcb-sePUA

Attached: Insurgency.jpg (1920x1080, 1.73M)

Those are called prebaked shadow maps and are used by 99% of the games out there. It's the easiest and cheapest way to have shadows in your game.

Viktor didn't do Dishonored 2.

It's because only the shiny things are shiny and the rest doesn't look like it's covered with vaseline.

Hey HLfags, is that HL2 1.0 or updated?

that does seem like a big part of it

>We'll never have anything similar to the precision and the feeling of the tf2 source engine ever again

Alright source shit the bed and is unoptimized in tf2, but there's so much positive things about it that we thought to be granted and are gone in the age of shitty console fps...

>>stabbystabby perfected the tf2 montage video
>literally just playing against a bunch of retards
Even by pub standards those players are fucking retarded.

You're stupid nothing is prebaked, it's a video game not a cooking recipe you giant retard

The physics make up for the graphics not being top notch

It's cheating if you post an upscaled image. Now post one on the native ps2 resolution.

The game is on PC and can be played in 4k

my guy. i've been a fan of craig mullins's work for probably 23 years now. i would say 90% of concept art and "speedpainting" and all other digital art is just ripping him off.

yeah, with mods, how is it a fair comparison when you include graphic mods?

how is it not fair? It's the same original models, textures. Just run in higher res. In that case the OP should have posted a 800x600 screenshot as well because that's what the average display resolution everybody had back in 2004

>2004
>800x600

lmao. maybe 1994.

2004 everyone was already 1024x768 at a minimum. baller gaming enthusiasts were up to 1600x1200 then.

It's Daikatana's Greece episode mixed with Shiny's Messiah (all the Combine aesthetics). With maybe hints of Schizm: Mysterious Journey.

Also, You Are Empty did post-communist city far better than HL2.

Also, Messiah is still a remarkable looking game, provided you play the emulated 3dfx version.

>The orange box engine makes the game look better than it did on launch
Not by much, it looked great at launch, maybe the water shader got a bit fancier and HDR looks better than the faux HDR bloom it had but you'd be hard-pressed to find many differences in a blind screenshot comparison.

yeah that's true but point still stands

Cheap being a term for performance-efficient, real-time global illumination and real-time shadows correct for every light source was (and is) very costly. Real-time everything would actually be "easier" (ie less development time) but it'd have performed so much worse.

Attached: 20180216143448_1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.02M)