Thoughts on Dustforce?

Thoughts on Dustforce?

Attached: 294250-dustforce-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg (800x800, 93K)

Probably the most underrated platformer ever. Tough as nails but never frustrating.

too hard for me. wish i could play it but i'm too shit at the movement despite being competent at other platformers. nice music

hurts my fingers

I like that it triggers Sonic, Yoshi, and DKC fags.

the fuck, why would it? It's like the perfect combination of those games.

it sucks and it’s stupid and getting a better time on a level is not enough incentive for me to replay any of it. fuck “speedrunner” games

Very cool, but too hard for me. I play it for an afternoon every now and then.

Exactly how hard is this game?

Attached: nervous_pepe.jpg (500x473, 55K)

there are very very few people who can SS or even beat the hardest levels of these games, let alone top the score board

probably the best platformer ever made
most difficult, most challenging, highest skill ceiling
if you thought celeste was hard think again
if you thought meat boy was hard, think again
if you thought n++ was hard, think again
play dustforce
achieve enlightenment

they need to be in a fighting game.

unironically might be the hardest platformer to master ever made.

This. Even when rebinding controls to hurt less.

greatest game ever made. sorry for shit quality screenshot

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 19.35.26.png (834x320, 138K)

Grats user

317 hours here, almost all actual game time. SS'd all stock levels with all characters, minus Yotta with Dustkid and Dustworth. SS'd all community pack levels. Working on Infini SS, currently have an SD. IL ranks are around 300 at most. Still think I'm terrible. Feels like I'm a newb and just beginning.

Because it's a "meme platformer" like SMB/Celeste.

i agree wholly with this guy's statement.

You have to develop a fetish for gaining momentum or you will never beat the game. Even in combat you will be managing your speed, everything demands perfection.
It can be bullshit hard at times (they even made progression a little easier for non-SS players and reworked the HUB world in a free update) but the soundtrack is absolutely perfect for this kind of game and "mitigates" your frustration a lot.

best precision platformer

Define 'meme platformer'.

This game was harder than university was for me

Based but the later levels have some really annoying parts, and FUCK Hideout

yotta is the only difficult i have left to do. since i got some free time this week, maybe i should try for it.

>short, cramped levels
>unlimited tries
>instadeath everywhere

The OST got me through my first year as a working man, quite possibly the toughest part of my life which was offset by the calming melodies. The game isn't really my thing, cool-ass artstyle though.

>he didn't like VVVVVV

Is there a platformer without instadeath, how would that work

Knack

braid

Attached: 1568691345351.png (1367x631, 47K)

I've played pretty much every worthwhile 2D platformer out there, even all the shitty indie ones.

Dustforce is singularly the best one. I don't know what second best is, but it's a distant second.

>second best
Tropical Freeze

>Enjoy prizes and excellent reviews.
Dustforce got terrible reviews, though.

My frustration platformer of choice is N++, and compared to Dustforce, I think the physics are way more fun and the hazards are more complex in N++. I definitely find Dustforce's overworld and level unlocking structure hella frustrating, and the fact that the only scores that are worth fucking ANYTHING are perfect scores makes me want to tear my hair out. It's a lot like trying to master a Hedgehog engine Sonic game, where you're mashing out a really tough sequence of moves that are the same every single time. But at least aesthetically Dustforce excels without relying on minimalism or pixels, and there's something to be said for that. Plus the cool, frosty soundtrack and the fresh imagery of sweeping up dead leaves off apartment rooftops at dusk... honestly, it feels good man. Quiet city vibes. Not a lot of games do it right.

Dustforce is probably pretty cheap now, so if you like this kinda shit, you might like this shit. Matthewmatosis did, so there's something.

Including the Umihara Kawase games?

Attached: Umihara Kawase Fresh 3.webm (1280x720, 2.19M)

This is a really bold statement. If you've actually played as much as you have, I'd appreciate if you tell us more about why you feel that way.

Go play the game fruitcake

PC release WHEN
Then again with Vertebreaker coming out we might not need Umihara Kawase soon

I already did. What's your issue, this is a discussion board. Back your shit up.

Never ever.

Attached: Umihara Kawase Fresh 4.webm (960x540, 2.79M)

Its surreal seeing a UK game thats actually pleasant to look at

these are the only games like these games. they are their own thing.
comparing platformers across types is pointless. super mario world and n++ aren't trying to be the same type of game.

Attached: Umihara Kawase Fresh 2.webm (1280x720, 2.84M)

the music in the game is probably one of the few things that keeps me from putting my head through my desk when i fuck up

Mario, DK, and Kirby all have some sort of life bar throught their different incarnations. There are still some instadeaths in them though. Crash has the masks for lives. Theres a tone of platformers that aren't just instadeath.

did it ? i never actually read reviews for the game. i remember them winning some kind of game dev competition with a prototype, but i don't remember what it was.
i would be surprised by the existence of game reviews that can complete dustforce. so maybe there's "i'm not friends with these people and their game makes me mad" reviewer tax.

Its because he cant follow up on his declaration.

please save me from the unrewarding experience of getting good

Attached: 4587309856569.png (788x557, 26K)

The limit of what they can do is Raymans autoscroll levels

As a custodian, I thought it was neat when it first came out, don't think I've played it for more than five minutes though.

>The great presentation is undone by a number of QUESTIONABLE DESIGN CHOICES
What did they mean by this?

The first game gas alaways been beautiful though.

N++ is much harder than Dustforce though dumbass

Attached: comparison.jpg (530x156, 50K)

he means that he is extremely good at video games

Attached: 489070936847456.png (1218x706, 85K)

1: Mattering what Nexus existed when they did the review, Having the level design guide players to doors that are the correct difficulty for them might have been an issue.
In the middle, before DX, but after the original nexus, there was a split nexus where the design convinced people (including some aI showed the game to) to stay in Forest until they beat all of Forest, instead of the more natural difficulty curve of doing all of one door type across all zones.

2: In the DX nexus, getting to Dome is more frustrating than completing Dome

3: Levels were not tested with all characters, which results in shit like trying to do Hideout as Dustkid

4: People get really angry when a 2D game's wall jump doesn't behave like the Mega Man X wall jump and let you repeatedly jump off the same wall, so that might be on their list even though that's not actually a problem

5: Left friction, Although that's assuredly an accident and not a "design choice"

What is left friction? I got the SS achievement and have not heard of this.

>dude slid off ledges and used his double jump as his first jump

This happens to basically everyone when they start, but he's stupid for not noticing that the jump effect animation is different when that happens.

The devs screwed up the code and moving left in midair slows you down at a rate that's like an order of magnitude faster than the deacceleration you experiance if you were moving right.
This only comes into play if you were traveling faster than your character's dash speed though (I think)

earthworm jim

rainworld, easily
then another huge power gap
then probably n++
fez

fantastic soundtrack, great mechanics

too bad i'm shit at it

you can always listen to lifeformed's other music on his bandcamp/soundcloud
he's been kind of quiet for a while. hope he's doing well

remember when they were making a roguelike? what happened to that

Attached: file.png (833x434, 624K)