Are graphics a mistake? Imagine how many Final Fantasy games we could've gotten if they didn't focus on photorealism

Are graphics a mistake? Imagine how many Final Fantasy games we could've gotten if they didn't focus on photorealism.

Attached: Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Sector-8.jpg (1920x1080, 368K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_6BpXEBw66Y
gearnuke.com/final-fantasy-xv-sales-hit-8-4-million-shipped-worldwide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sure, we would have gotten many more, but their graphics would fucking suck.

what's the point of having so many final fantasies

It's more about the amount of time they are taking. Yea it's going to look fantastic, but I can already tell it's going to be missing a lot of fine details.

Attached: Greedfall 01.jpg (1920x1080, 734K)

You'd rather have the Lightning trilogy and XV?

how good is greedfall?

you would have got XV and lighting trilogy either way

youtube.com/watch?v=_6BpXEBw66Y

I mean, i get it. I dont like when games are too focused on graphs either.
If i were in charge of a gaming company, i would try to make a fun gameplay, with people testing and discussing the best way to make gameplay fun and good. Multiple beta testers and all that stuff, and once we have everything ready, we just focused on graphs later.

its like dragon age inquisition but with a more boring setting and a worse combat

only good thing that came out of CC was Zack and seeing cloud before he thought he was zack.

gameplay and Square Enix don't go hand in hand after they separated the tokyo team

CC had some nice music at least desu.

Final Fantasy has always focused on graphics.

i can't get over these pictures of him walking around in a realistic setting with a stupidly oversized slab of metal on his back and it being like no big deal.

Churning out games one after the other like it's a factory line is not a good thing either. As FFXV shows, it's not like they're sitting on a pile of ace game designs that they can't get through fast enough.

The main series games have always been flagships for graphics

Compared to other series FF release tones of games aswell

Are you retarded or just a brainlet?

Because bright colors and photo realism attract the normies, and FF is the most normie JRPG series there is.

>have 4-5 brand new PSone Final Fantasies or XV

hmm tough one

Attached: ff8 edea.jpg (328x388, 26K)

final fantasy games are awful in every way
not fun to play, gameplay is trash, characters are all fucking retarded, lines they say are idiotic and the plot is for retarded children

the good graphics are the only and best thing final fantasy has going for it

And that turned out sooo well

does that activate windows now actually appear in-game as you play?

gearnuke.com/final-fantasy-xv-sales-hit-8-4-million-shipped-worldwide/

It literally has, you're a moron and a tard

why does this dumb american weeb carry around a giant foam sword around, what a faggot

If I'm in full screen it does not, however boarderless mode it does. Never really bothers me though.

But Squeenix has been pushing graphics with FF since the Playstation days with VII. Then they wanted to change up the gameplay since I guess they found the concept of "dude graphix!" not novel enough.

I think it depends on your audience. Graphics are there to help the story and mechanics, bringing together the whole experience in a seamless presentation. The costumes on the actors but also the curtain hiding the machinery.

How good you need the graphics to be really depends on your audience. There are some people who can become immersed within a game without graphics at all, just a nice UI and text do the job. Others need that photo-realism to stay in the seat, otherwise they'll lose focus.

But, there's also the aesthetic side of video games where the art is if not the actual point of the game at least a major area of interest.

It's a balancing act. There isn't a right answer

Imagine how KH3 could have actually been the length of a full game if they didn't focus all their energy on making things look pretty.

I can see Photorealism being a problem because it seems more interested in technical correctness than artistic expression and, presumably, costs far more to achieve than something more symbolic or simply less "realistic".
If the majority of gamers feel that the best games were those made a decade or more than a decade ago, that does seem to be an indictment on the current focus of the industry.

>If the majority of gamers feel that the best games were those made a decade or more than a decade ago
They don't.

>the majority of gamers feel that the best games were those made a decade or more than a decade ago
lol not even close

Ah, perhaps I had a misconception then. I thought the general consensus was Ocarina of Time and the early Metal Gear games still held those titles.

To be honest I dont like how weirdly photo-realistic FFVIIR looks, it should be more cartoony. Its kind of the same problem DMC5 had, though that was a little easier to get used to because the human models were straight up just real people.

No, graphics are an essential part of a video game. That doesn't mean that amazing graphics can cover up for an otherwise lackluster game though, nor does it mean that devs always allocate their resources appropriately. There certainly are games out there that could've used more work on the gameplay side instead of having the fanciest graphics possible.

Pretty decent so far for me, though I haven't played a lot. It's not the absolutely amazing kind of game that sucks you in so hard you can't stop thinking about playing some more when you have to do something else, but it's been decently good so far. You can tell the game is missing a lot of polish in certain areas, due to budget issues I assume, but the core is pretty good.

The setting is fairly unique, it looks decent enough (though not extraordinary) and I like that a lot of quests tend to have multiple ways of accomplishing your objectives, often depending on what abilities your character has.

Attached: 20190916225411_1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.57M)

Pretty sure the majority considers Call of Duty whatever or the latest FIFA to be the best game they've ever played. Even if we're being snobby and talking only about "true" gamers, a lot of people called BOTW the best game ever. And Dark Souls before it. And Bioshock Infinite before that, for like a week, then everyone ran with the "you know it was actually kinda bad" story. OoT and Deus Ex are just the go-to safe universal default opinions, the "I like all music except hip hop" of vidya; but I'd be willing to bet that even here the majority hasn't played OoT much less Deus Ex.

>tfw i'm getting old and don't understand things anymore

Attached: 1328763981635.jpg (126x121, 4K)

MGSV is the best game