Do you think a sequel killing off a previous game's protagonist out of nowhere is bad writing?

Do you think a sequel killing off a previous game's protagonist out of nowhere is bad writing?

Attached: 1568642772741.png (2194x1528, 2.64M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cpgj_MIN_-g
youtube.com/watch?v=QveKRsqlBZ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

mayafags btfo

What fucking game

The Hitcher did it so why not vidya?

Boredomlands 3.

Attached: 5bcae7e353ebd41b1da219bb0b256de4.jpg (1200x1920, 205K)

>remember the prerelease borderlands 3 threads
>when people were frothing maya being teased in the mask trailer
>told them it made no sense for maya to be in the game or for them to be so excited, because she was unimportant and was barely a character
>she gets used villain murder fodder

Attached: gotem.png (196x363, 36K)

what does having your cock being phased on by a siren's glowing pussy feel like Yea Forums?

freezer burn

Fuck you R*

Attached: 2550295-johnny_klebitz_by_kenin140-d3g89gt.png (589x640, 358K)

Anything that triggers waifufags is a good thing.

They killed this cunt too by having her be a boss fight and you have to put her down but nobody cares about her.

Attached: Aurelia.jpg (660x1280, 281K)

Yea Forums isn't sperging about it because they didn't know she was a playable character in the Pre-Sequel.

Still pissed about this desu

Didn't BL2 do the exact same thing with Roland? What's the big deal?

There is not big deal, just angry waifufags.

It's a pretty bad idea in general.I'm not saying it's impossible to pull off, but it's likely not worth the risk. Most likely result is that people will feel like you rendered their previous adventure pointless. They invested themselves in the protagonist quest and in having them succeed only for you to tell them "fuck you, your effort didn't matter".

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible to do right, but if I was in charge of something I personally wouldn't touch that idea because you're more likely to piss everyone off than to please them.

To be honest I didn't either. Was she added later or something? I chose pic related and then never came back to the game after I beat it once.

Attached: Pre_Sequel_Nisha_concept.jpg (900x1500, 154K)

A character death at least has to look meaningful and have impact - Lee Everett is a good example of a good character death.

I didn't even play Lost and the Damned and this pissed me off
>haha expectations subverted bro!

i got a little chub when she starts calling you a whore and a bitch during the fight.

Maya can jump in a woodchipper, I just want to know if my boy Krieg is okay

After Angel died nobody expect for Jack "our guy" himself to show up, killing Roland and capturing Lilith.
Maya, the only sane character in BL3 died just because of deus ex machina Troy powers and a little stupid brat that supposed to replase her.
Fuck Gearbox.

Attached: 156705557190.jpg (594x564, 70K)

It's even worse because Trevor is such a garbage character who embodies the "whoa look how edgy he is" meme character. Thankfully you get the option of killing him but they still did Johnny dirty by having his character arc in Lost and Damned flushed down the toilet for no real reason.

He's not physically in the game but there are Echo logs of him talking about wanting to see Maya. Given this is Gearbox they'll probably turn him into a boss now and make you kill him after he flips out.

I mean the series is built around shitting on the previous protags

Unless your name is Lilith, which in that case you get a free pass for all the shit you did and then go out as a hero.

>personal arc about stopping his toxic relationship with his crack whore ex gf, after the main story remaining Lost are a few of his friends and brothers, post game conversation with ex gf tells her to go fuck herself
>in comes V where The Lost have moved into LS, are drug dealers, Johnny is a drug addict back with his gf and dies to an edgy hick
Bravo R*

They literally did the exact same thing in Borderlands 2 with Roland. Shitty writing and reusing a previous games "shock factor".

yes

Attached: 220px-Sh3_boxart[1].jpg (220x275, 13K)

fuck, forgot to write
I don't have trouble with Maya dying. I have trouble with Maya dying "because why not". Nobody even reacts to her death. Yet, we have a glorious Firehawk sacrifice. Lilith, the ultimate cunt that betrayed Jack, attempted to kill Athena and throwed away her friends to all the dirty job for money now is a fucking saviour. Cute.
Maya been raising Ava and taking care of her, but yeah, fuck Maya, Lilith is the true hero. This is pathetic.

Attached: Maya(Borderlands.2).full.1396492.jpg (1000x574, 318K)

its ok when they did it to roland but not fucking maya. Its not fucking fair brehs.

Isn't this franchise known for this? Either a character dies like a bitch or is turned gay because the writers don't know what else to do with them.

Out if nowhere? Yeah.

Honestly I find it hilarious that Gearbox has started to try and make Borderlands both epic wacky references and serious at the same time starting with the second game. Its completely tone deaf and you can’t get invested in the characters at all because they’re all meme-spouting mouth breathers that you’re just expected to like when things get serious.

I'm getting pretty sick of them using Lilith over and over. She's just boring at this point and I don't even give a fuck when she appears.

She was a dlc character like Jack. She was pretty fun too, though less so then Jack.

Damn, I like her design. It's a shame that she was stuck in a bad series.

Attached: maya_the_siren__sfm_borderlands_poster__by_muratothebandit_dbppchf.jpg (3840x2160, 472K)

Why would it be?
Who the fuck liked Maya?

Tbf she's kind of a bitch

She was a ton of fun to play in BL2.

>Who the fuck liked Maya?
I know it's trendy to hate on the Borderlands series now and for good reason, but back when BL2 was still a big thing everybody loved Maya especially on here.

Krieg

In most cases, yes. Her death was retarded and I hate Ava.

Nisha was a far more interesting character than she was.

Man every Borderlands game is such wasted potential that its genuinely frustrating, Pre-Sequel especially. You have a cast of characters with the best skill trees in the series with the added axis of 0-gravity but have the WORST writing in the series (before BL3) and most tedious quests. I want Nisha back, bros.

Damn I may have to get this game after all. Looking at this bitch's face while my friend played her was the worst part of pre-sequel

Boys Love 3.

because she is hot
that's it
there is nothing more

She died for this little shit. I don't mind protagonist deaths, but when you kill off a previous game's protagonist in a contrived fashion for the sole sake of "killing the past for the future" then yeah I have a problem with it.

Attached: goblina.jpg (651x973, 199K)

who should i play in the pre sequel if i want have fun
i should give that game a try but i am not looking for boring characters whos is the most fun to play of the bunch and why?

Attached: 1879413.jpg (210x240, 9K)

I actually didn't find her attractive in BL2 at all, I just enjoyed her playstyle. She's definitely hotter in BL3 though.

This kinda falls apart too when you know New-U stations are a thing

randy can't take sfm away

I’m a sucker for cowboy archetypes so I liked Nisha best. I hear Jack and Wilhelm are pretty fun.

Randy would tweet out his favourite ones my dude.

I actually liked writing for Wilhelm. He's such a straightforward and simple character.

Jack: Hey, Wilhelm. You wanna come to the moon and hunt a Vault for me?
Wilhelm: No.
Jack: I'll pay you a couple million dollars.
Wilhelm: Okay.
Wilhelm (commenting): Yep. That's my backstory.

ECHO 1:

Interviewer: Wilhelm, you've risen to prominence as one of the foremost mercenaries in the galaxy. But you had humble beginnings, did you not? A life no different from any other. What spurred you down your path of ultraviolence? What confluence of events, what changing winds of circumstance and privilege led you to sit right here in front of me, dictating your autobiography?
Wilhelm: As a kid I was good at fights.

ECHO 2:

Interviewer: Let's move into later years. Puberty. The teenage years. A difficult time for anyone, perhaps more difficult for you, yes? Coming from a violent childhood, a broken home, possessing little intelligence: tell me, how did you get on with your peers? Take me inside your mind.
Wilhelm: When I was a teenager I was good at fights.

ECHO 3:

Interviewer: What about the man you are now? Who is Wilhelm the Enforcer? What drives him? What are his likes, his dislikes? Please give me an answer which does not include the word "fights".
Wilhelm: I like steak and robots.

ECHO 4:

Interviewer: This has been an extraordinary waste of time. What's the point of you, Wilhelm? What do you even want out of life?
Wilhelm: I'm really good at killing people. I wanna be a robot.
Interviewer: That's pretty weird.

Attached: FI-wilhelm.jpg (800x450, 128K)

Not canon :^)

Probably Nisha or Wilhelm. Be forewarned though, pre sequel has some especially garbage writing and characters. There's one character in particular whose entire character is constantly telling you that she's a lesbian.

Yeah, it was bad writing and people just merely chalked it up to those not being canon, which is stupid as fuck.

what about that quest to kill yourself tho

>untextured 3d model of the little goblin actually looked cute
>Borderlands "texture" "artists" drape their nightmare tapestry over it
>heavy under lip shading
>heavy upper lip line
>managed to make the upper lip 2x as large as the lower
>plastered le funneh NOPE meme on her bag strap
>made her hair some gross, unnatural deep blue
absolutely disgusting

Attached: xp2h2xy5too21.jpg (239x323, 39K)

Sidequests aren’t canon either

I am enjoying 3, but its story is pretty crap.
It has led to some fun areas and bosses though, so I can forgive it. I don't play them for the story anyways.

are main quests noncanon too

Why the fuck do they gotta kill the best chars?

But what about Scott McShooty? You helped him, rigth?..

To be fair, it makes sense she looks like a goblin. She was like, a gutter child for a long while. Lived in a fart cave.
Really most people in Borderlands should probably look even less attractive than they are.

if they do that im gonna be pissed

I am pretty sure they stated that those "kill yourself" sidequests have a canon ending, which is saying no.

You find some echo logs of him. He has SOME control over himself now, sorta. His sane side can actually speak now, which is an improvement.

>Addiction is easy to break
>American Healthcare
Bravo Yea Forums

Attached: ezgif-2-12b28da08961.gif (400x300, 3.23M)

I think that destroying the old as symbolism that the new thing you created is better, is bad writing. For example, having the T-Rex killed by the Spinosaurus at the start of Jurassic Park III. Its just a lazy way of setting up that the Spinosaurus is bigger, badder and nastier without having to put the work in to make the audience feel that way. I'm also pretty sure thats why the new Star Wars movies are so disliked.

Attached: 1568598325813.jpg (1280x1968, 478K)

You're a fucking idiot
His personal "arc" is that he can't stop helping Ashley. He clearly can't stop going back to her, and his addiction to meth was inevitable.

Here's the full death scene. I can't take it seriously.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cpgj_MIN_-g

I would play that game

>His personal "arc" is that he can't stop helping Ashley
>Ends TLAD by stopping helping her
What did he mean by this?

Seems like a lot of modern games have this problem. They think countering over-the-top silliness with over-the-top seriousness is going to give contrast and balance, but there's no downtime from any it to let it have the proper impact.

Don't forget the fucking nose piercing. One of the the trashiest, most disgusting piercings there is.

it happened in part 2 with the black protag from part 1 tho

What exactly is the plot of these games anyway?

I wish you could kill every character you encounter

One of the New-U respawn dialogues even makes fun of it saying they'll always be there to save you unless you die in a cutscene.

Big treasure on a planet, everyone go get it.

Idiots tampering with vaults meant for sealing monsters with the belief that they hold treasure

No, but doing it for the benefit of a shit tier tacked on character is

And ff7 has Phoenix downs except for Aerith, what's your point?

Attached: ff cid girl.gif (500x200, 1.61M)

>Ancient Alien race imprisoned giant monsters inside of magical "vaults" that require a key and tons of energy to open.
>Keys also split into 3 pieces
>Rumors start about whats in the vaults, and the legends slowly turn from prisons to magical gates filled with treasure
>Various mega-corporations put tons of research into them for a long time
>One called DAHL researches shithole planet of pandora
>Decide its not worth it and abandon it without evacuating anyone
>Those people are forced to live on pandora, and most of them become bandits
>Various companies do similar to other planets
>Every game is basically a bad guy trying to find a world-conquering thing inside a vault, and you trying to open it before them
>In 3 there are several vaults but concept is the same.

I so badly want a good dinosaur game that isn't Ark or something autistic like The Isle.

wheres my boi face mcshooty

>Maya died so Krieg is going to go full psycho when he finds out
>The only interesting new character (Typhon) gets axed 2 hours after you meet him
Fuck you, Gearbox.

Attached: 1535748006339.png (361x372, 172K)

Harry's death was done well though, while it was a surprise it wasn't out of nowhere in the sense that it had no plot importance or made his character's efforts in the last game worth nothing.

Still felt a bit dumb that after all he fought against he ends up dying to some jobber monster. At the very least send something extremely threatening to do the job.

Claptrap

Gearbox had already killed his character the moment you met him. Basically a white person and not the jive person he was in 1.

he's an old man now
anyone who's been the other world definitely has tetanus

You're a fucking retard holy shit

>"hey guys where's Maya"
>youtube.com/watch?v=QveKRsqlBZ8

Attached: Krieg.jpg (857x1000, 446K)

what a mutt

Attached: 1535177874995.png (618x697, 425K)

>killing a tranny
based.

>Play as Amara
>Characters don't even acknowledge you as a Siren pretty much ever

it worked with roland but maya's death was complete garbage and only made players hate that little shit brat

I mean, they spent a fair bit of time making them an in-universe thing, they're part of how Hyperion even makes shitloads of money aren't they? Why would you go so far as to have them be built by the major factions in the game then say they're non-canon? I don't know what would be worse, that they fucking forgot they existed or their writing is so shit they ignored them rather than incorporated them.

The quests take very little stock into what character you're playing, even in previous games. The Player Character might as well be Gordon Freeman for what their involvement in the main story is concerned.

all of the bl3 story blows. I wish they would create a whole new cast of characters and not sucking off lilith

good thing shes fucking dead now too!!

>"if we ever want to see her again you have to learn to give me control"
>by the time you are even at konrad's hold, maya has already been dead for awhile

Attached: 1565032464813.jpg (592x564, 54K)

The presequel was honestly an unpleasant time overall. Very bland and bad level design.

I like that they do that. It symbolize the change of the generation. Boomers will die by millenial hands after becoming the true evil, millenials will die by our just hands, and some retarded next gen will attemt to hurt us but we already know the song

You think Maya hated doing that to Ava considering her history with the Order?

So why didn't she just respawn?

Attached: Jon Confused 2.png (540x480, 204K)

because Burch wanted drama to happen

>off-screen death
sure thing buddy. You only have yourself to blame when she returns in BL4 or DLC

>foresaw her death in advance because it's the most blatantly predictable shit
>our character is literally in the room when it happens and we do nothing, this happens every time the calyptards show up
>kill Maya solely to set up her obnoxious student, both of them only being introduced half an hour or two prior to their death and given next to no time
>Lillith also dies to prop up the same student character nobody gives a shit about

Fuck you Randy and fuck me for paying Humble $60 for this game

Burch isn't a writer for BL3

Mafia 2 was the only game I was okay with it because it was just the ending of the first game. Still annoyed that it spoils the superior game's ending though.

He should have they wrote something less coherent and worse than he did.

Maya was pretty much the only tolerable character without epic wacky writing, no wonder they had to kill her off to make space for their annoying new future mary sue siren

>le turn into dust and die haha xd
i hate marvel for making this a trend

They said New U stations aren't canon. Not sure exactly how that works but hey its what they said.

user, this "trend" is ancient. You just outed yourself, zoomer.

Everything I hear about this game just makes me more patient for the crack desu

>come here for 2 seconds
>spoiled on something i was going to play
honestly, reddit is better at this point in my life.
getting too old for this shit.

drape their nightmare tapestry over it

Do axton and salvador appear? Spoil me on their fate if they do

But there's a mission in 2 where Jack pays you to kill yourself. At least come up with a good in-universe reason like Bioshock's.

Attached: baby hippo.gif (500x269, 242K)

look i know this was done before too, i'm just saying marvel made it a trend now and it's being done a lot more

They said the canon ending to that quest was that you didn't do it.
Theres one in the new one where the villain asks you to kill yourself too. I would assume the idea is the same there.

>Not black
>Not sirens
>No players bring them up
Who cares?

>the plot can't even remotely take itself seriously for five seconds
>but we can spare the time to still continue to kill prior protagonists in the series as a cheap method of escalating stakes so players kinda care

Attached: okay yeah sure what.gif (260x317, 3.81M)

I dunno, pretty much any universe where someone gets "drained" to death has them turn into a statue and crumple to dust. Its really, really common.

I don't know if I just am stupid and didn't see it posted, but how did she die?

Nope, nothing. Like they never existed.

Bad guy pulls a Skeksi and drains her essence.

Attached: Skeksi Hmmm.jpg (396x339, 96K)

goddamn, i really liked maya too. fuck this game. never buying it.

No, I actually like the concept of heroes being just normal people who can die at any moment.

Oh yeah, they kill Lilith too.

Was there at least build up to it, like did she fight to the death? Was there any sort of like tension or emotional attachment established by the time she dies?

Exept for this, this made no sense

Judging from the cutscene you kill some big beast and then the trouble twins woosh in to negate all your hard work and then kill her. So basically just a big fuck you.

is borderlands 3 fun without coop? maybe ill pirate it

Especially considering you only see maya in two missions. Then the little shit starts bitching at Lilith who ironically did nothing wrong during the events.

Thanks for reminding me asshole

They try to drain Ava, so Maya takes Troy hostage. Troy panics and grabs Maya's arm, and absorbs her very Siren power and essence by freak accident that he exploits to his advantage, killing her as a shock moment. Only reason they were about to drain Ava was because she stupidly left a safe place and consequently came into contact with the villains as a result, and then chews out the player and Lilith for letting Maya die (never mind that everyone just sort of stands off to the side while this happens because cutscene).

Not really. The scene makes pretty much no sense.
>Bad guys pop out if nowhere
>One sucks the power out of a vault Guardian and makes threats while the other one just stands around
>Maya specifically tells the little goblin that is Ava to stay behind her and not attack the two
>Ava, being a goblin, attacks them, and the lead baddie grabs her
>Maya grabs the other baddie to hold him hostage
>Other baddie suddenly gets the power to insta-kill Sirens and drain their power by touching them, virtually out of nowhere
>Baddies drop Ava and leave

i'm kinda glad that scooter got a good death in tales
at least that means he's not in this game where he'd be written off as "oh ok he's dead, nobody cares"

it looked more like he vaporized her into carbon and trace elements

holy shit, that's 50IQ writing

Attached: 1558177877727.jpg (238x192, 9K)

she's a nice looking girl in a game with 3 nice looking girls and she's also the only playable one out of the 3

In a series of buttfuck ugly whores, yes that actually matters.

>krieg fiends out
>completely looses control
>starts killing indiscriminately
>becomes the boss at the end of one of the DLCs
>after you kill him,you get to listen to his last echo before going berserk and his normal side fighting a loosing battle with the insane side

Attached: fuck.jpg (510x764, 62K)

Oh and by the way, Tannis is now a Siren too.

Ark was almost a good game. It was gonna have physics based combat instead of real-time MMO "kick em with bigger numbers" combat. It was gonna have territorial warfare over scare resources. It was gonna have reasons to organize different governments.

All of it flushed away months into the game and memory holed.

she also had a pretty decent personality

>Yea Forums thread unironically discussing pee pee poo poo the game

WHAT

>"insane side" just slowly taking over without in-game justifications as to why
shit tier writing desu senpai

AUTISM IS MY SUPERPOWER

fucking kill me

the best thing about it is that the BL 3 protags arrive just before the baddies show up, then conveniently disappear and then are suddenly back again after maya is dead

It's comic book tier writing.

in the sense of shitting on it, yes

Yes, she now has Angel's ability to Phaseshift tech. There is no real explanation, she absorbs some Eridium chunks and boom, she can do it.
Even though one of Zed's first lines in BL2 is "Don't eat Eridium, it doesn't give you Siren powers".

If it's a texture problem mods should fix it pretty easily right

Maya dying in a garbage attempt at shock value thanks to bad writing is the exact sort of thing that would make him go nuclear and destroy the shitty world

>>"insane side" just slowly taking over without in-game justifications as to why
>no justification
>maya,the one person that helped him take back control of his body,the one that even kriegs mad side doesnt want to hurt and actually cares for,gets killed
>implying this wouldnt make kriegs evil side go mad and stop listening about not hurting innocents,therefore making you put him down like a rabid dog

Stalker but in another planet and everyone is a fag

I think the idea is that she was either always a siren, or she became one because it chooses random women.
However, the chances of it choosing her randomly is so small it seems crazy. Unless there is something they haven't said yet. Maybe she took them somehow? Maybe it was her close connection to the vault key?

this desu