Which is objectively better?

which is objectively better?
which had a bigger impact on the industry?

Attached: yf1ZZoF.png (1076x720, 1.61M)

The first one obviously

hl2 had an objectively much bigger impact on the industry

hl1 is a better game

1 is the best for me

1 for both

2 is better and had more impact.

Attached: 1554132720353.jpg (2288x1712, 794K)

2 had a had a much longer impact

1 is a gay doom ripoff (literally the same story) with discount quake gameplay
2 has stupid pretentious shit like the unskippable cutscenes where the player just jumps around like an autistic monkey, no explanation for how we got here and what is happening (hurr read the exposition from noteboards, fuck you), silly seesaw puzzles and driving sequences with gordon turning the wheel telepathically, loading screens everywhere, slow stupid CS gameplay, cheap psychologically manipulative shit like the crates and NPC followers that suck you off
Both set bad precedents

they're both equally shit

mfw still waiting for Black Mesa to release

I'm playing one right now for the first time and it kinda sucks

Half Life 2 forced everyone who bought it onto Steam. it changed PC gaming forever.

itt: zoomer shits

Zoom zoom zoom zoom

Attached: 064.gif (326x281, 171K)

>t.

Attached: 1566285541130.jpg (434x359, 54K)

1 was the good game
2 destroyed the industry we know of today

>Black Mesa
It fucking sucks. Maybe it looks pretty but the gameplay is what's important and it screws it up.

>objectively
Subjectively, retard

Half Life 1 is better by a small margin. I also think it had a bigger impact on the industry; it was much more groundbreaking in its design

>which is objectively better?
Can't say, i like both equally for different reasons
>which had a bigger impact on the industry?
Honestly hard to say, but 2 definitely had the most negative impact. The industry looked at the wrong things 2 did. They should have focused on physic engines and fully implementing them into the gameplay unlike HL2 itself which only really made it useful in two levels and a few puzzles. Instead everyone focused on the less important things, like facial animations, physic-based particle effects and photo realistic graphics. At least valve themselves starting working with game physics again but sadly only for VR which will never be as successful as they believe.

Gordon beats his superior and is sent to Black Mesa as punishment. Hell invades and kills Gordon's pet bunny

BM is just a better HL2

>forced
I didn't play it on steam the first time I played it on my PC.

> Instead everyone focused on the less important things, like facial animations
Facial animations are all dogshit nowadays.

I think both had an equal impact on the industry in how they brought key elements to it (serious story and storytelling, modern level design and modern engine for HL1, intuitive physics, advanced AI and immerse storytelling for HL2).
They are also equally good, they share the same strengths and weaknesses.
Adrian is also the best boy.

Attached: DPQjzNoWsAExVDa.jpg (846x1200, 213K)

>hl
>impact on industry
lol, what?
They were generic FPShit games in a time when other generic FPShit games already existed

Attached: 1565283744385.gif (290x506, 1.15M)

>half life invented "serious stories, level design, game angine and story telling
why are HLfags so fucking delusional

>Which is better?
Definitely Half Life 1. I like the tense atmosphere where you're one scientist alone against the military and aliens while within a dingy, dangerous facility while Half Life 2 constantly gives you helpful friends and makes you a literal fucking messiah.
>Which was more impactful?
I can't answer that accurately since I didn't see the reception of the games on launch but I'd say probably Half Life 2 since that's what people mainly talk about.

2 was basically an enormous tech demo, but it also is responsible for the source engine and Steam.

As far as which is better, I'd say 1 but I'd also replay the entirety of two with my dick in a vise than replay the Xen levels so...

Name 1 FPS with a story as rich as HL from the same time period

HL2 meme'd PCfags into accepting a digital only future. Didn't help it was a great game.

I wouldn’t mind the messiah thing if they started to treat you like that half way through, with the first half being you just being treated as some guy that came out of no where that is killing cops and soldiers left and right.

COPE

HL1 was the first REAL fps

DRM and digital distribution were going to happen anyway the writing was on the wall. I'm glad valve was smart enough to take the majority market share wit hl2 before another company did. Can you imagine if EA or Activision got to it first?

>HL
>rich story
you mean just going through a bunch of typical video gamey levels?

the only "uniqueness" about hl is that it had more than average scripted sequences. That's fucking it, nothing "revolutionary" about that.

Half-Life is definitely the better game, and the paradigm shift it caused in FPSes was much larger. That isn't to disparage 2, but it was the lesser son of a greater father.

People like to forget that they fucking tried. The late 00s and early 10s were a wasteland of failed invasive DRM schemes.

>playing the age card for no reason
cringe

Attached: 1549852016861.jpg (697x799, 191K)

They’re both masterpieces and influenced their eras of gaming.

HL1 redefined storytelling and level progression and design in gaming
HL2 redefined physics (bullet and environmental), character design, and technical optimization for PCs

I know neo V doesn't want to hear it but the BEST Half Life game is opposing force, made by randy pitchford and gearbox, deal with it

Though from what I heard that the reason why the head writer left was because of a conflict in valve between employees that wanted more gameplay and the employees that wanted more story.

It’s good and better than Blue Shift, but not as good as vanilla. The pacing and style is all over the place on that one.

Nah I would never listen to those stories. These are still just jobs for people in the end. People come and go all the time. Idealism doesn’t really matter to you at that level of your career. Some people just find new opportunities and take them, and it’s simply for personal growth reasons.

half life 1 is better and half life 2 had the bigger negative impact on games

>Shocktroopers
>Pit Drones
>Voltigores
AHAHAHAHAHA
no.

Thief came out the same month as Half Life but had a much bigger impact.
Valve toddlers will never admit this

Half-Life 1 changed the storytelling in video games. Before Half-life 1 the storytelling was walls of text, mini novel included in the manual, or sometimes just a snippet of text on the back of the game box. Instead of having to read all that shit you were involved in the situations personally and you could see with your own eyes what was going on. How many other games did that before Half-Life?

I came in your mom the same month as well, but I will never admit you being my toddler.

The first one is a lot more packed with encounters and doesn't waste empty space unlike 2 which has tons of large unused areas which you just sprint or drive though.
Also has a better arsenal, enemy variety and mods.

Attached: Half-FEAR.webm (750x420, 2.92M)

zoomers and bait: the thread

Speaking of weapons, the AR2 should have a lot more ammo then it did, because it basically has ammo clips in an ammo clip.

People in 1998: Half Life has a pretty good story for a fps game
People 20 years later: Half Life was the first ever video game with a story

Attached: 1544566781934.jpg (297x297, 40K)

I wish Half-Life 2 had all the enemies and aliens from HL1. The houndeyes, bullsquids, those reactor tentacle thingies, gonarchs, and my boy gargantuans. It almost feels like a different world. I don't know the ~lore~ that deeply, or if the gargantuans are made by some alien technology and got destroyed when that big baby died in the end of HL1. I still wish they were in Half-Life 2.
>tfw you will never play Half-Life 2 with ichthyosaurs in waters

Attached: ichtyosaur.jpg (1024x768, 83K)

Well if the gargantuans were made by alien tech, it would be interesting to have a set piece were you fight a long with one and a few alien grunts against combine forces.

Now that I think about it, it is surprising that you do not run into other xen lifeforms on the coast or forest, it’s just antlions and headcrabs.