The new Steam algorithm seems to be negatively affecting indie developers even more than before...

>The new Steam algorithm seems to be negatively affecting indie developers even more than before, favoring big hits and highly wishlisted titles
T-t-thanks Steam...

Attached: WGLgfXE.png (608x894, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/1037020/ScourgeBringer/
steamcommunity.com/app/824570/discussions/0/2763442118821001205/#c1638668751261513753
kotaku.com/valve-says-its-unfair-that-metro-exodus-is-exclusive-to-1832129331
youtube.com/watch?v=AnwPdPGcRDo
store.steampowered.com/recommender/
steam250.com/hidden_gems
store.steampowered.com/curator/32686107/
youtu.be/Fhy9Rd9KNdc
youtu.be/JgVS0f4l-HU
inflexwetrust.com/2016/01/31/video-eww-chinese-woman-finds-a-birds-nest-and-eats-the-baby-birds/
youtu.be/OzQKECQgjW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If they spent half as much time advertising their game as they do crying on Twitter, people might actually know what they're trying to sell.

>”Oh no my walking sim doesn’t clog up the marketplace any more!!”
Good riddance

fucking this
all that writing and whining could have been a promotional tweet. or a script for a short youtube ad. instead they bite the hand that feeds

>Make shit game
>It doesnt sell
>Waaaaaaah steam's fault!
Go to epic then, faggot. See if exclusivity sells your game better

That's part of how Steam justifies taking their %, though.

Fuck indie games

Yes. Let's stop buying the only creative games and just lap up the latest AAA shooters instead.

Fucking retard.

>REEEEEEEE STEAM MUST BE AN AD FOR MY GAME REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Agreed, indie devs need to stop bitching and get to promoting the games they make.

Indie games are garbage and just shitty low effort asset flips most of the time.

he looks like a stupid sack of shit

Attached: mr_retard.jpg (460x460, 25K)

We can't hear you from all that corporate cock you are slurping.

This is why approval/interest systems are generally garbage.

All it does is cause snowballing effects that make a certain few rise to the top while the rest fall away. Its why sites like Reddit and Youtube are garbage.

>the only creative games

>platformer with a 16-bit retro look
>walking simulator
>survival game involving lots of crafting
Truly, the pinnacle of video games.

>see indie dev complaints
>look up said indie dev's game
>asset flip #1109380584895
seems like the steam algorithm is doing a good job

>complains about AAA shooters
>defends endless pixelshit platformers

>platformer with a 16-bit retro look
tell user what he's won
store.steampowered.com/app/1037020/ScourgeBringer/

Value initially did the curating themselves and indie devs whined it was too hard to get on steam.

who

lol

If they spent half as much time making a good game as they do crying on Twitter, people might actually know what they're trying to sell.

The reason he's not getting attention is because:

A. His game is not released and has no set release date.

B. It's a Dead Cells/Rogue Legacy clone.

>"I'm going to be the next Minecraft! Flappy Bird! Clash of Clans! I'm gonna be rich!"
>game doesn't go viral because it is shit
>does no self-promotion
>does no positive social media exposure
>does no Twitch streaming
>does no YouTube highlighting
>"WHAA!! why am I not Notch!?!"

Attached: 1434465356358.png (497x732, 362K)

>the only creative games
pixelshit everywhere

sounds based to me

Even Notch shilled Minecraft on Yea Forums extensively.

A store having your product on display barely counts as advertising.

Another victory for the Epic Game Store.

Utterly and unironically BASED
Gaben knows what gamers really want.

Attached: 1520630934507.jpg (416x416, 24K)

Fucking this.
Why are some people so fucking stupid?

Exactly the point.

Attached: 1419570685240.jpg (450x577, 53K)

maybe
hear me out for a second
maybe
JUST MAYBE
people don't want to buy every single shitty game they see on steam
>abloo abloo no one is wishlisting my game ;(((
IT'S NOT EVEN FUCKING OUT YET YOU COCKSUCKER
THE DATE SAYS "COMING SOON" SO WHO CARES
>b-b-but i want to make 20 million dollars from my 16 bit retro game and not 20k ;(((
fuck off

>PINEAPPLE ON PIZZA

Attached: SOI.png (460x460, 211K)

Why would I want to be recommended low quality games that nobody wants to play?

*clink clink*
*ahem*
Fuck indiedevs, Fuck triple a games, Fuck steam and most of all Fuck gaming journos

Attached: 1539150279250.png (1000x1000, 216K)

>Bohoo, I don't want to spend money on advertising and this huge platform doesn't make my game visible amonst the other piles and piles of garbage
Mhhhhh..

it's so fucking easy to complain and whine on a website instead of actually doing something productive. worst of all it gives normal and hardworking indie devs a bed rep.
fuck them and beg for my money because thats what you are at the end. a cocksucker

bad*

Yea Forums will deny this just to... "own" the indie devs I guess?

Attached: tayal steam.png (835x856, 132K)

>If there's a problem, then it's not a problem, as it's always the ones affected by it that are to blame.
>Except when I'm affected

You deserve all the censorship you can get.

Once you agree to release a game on Steam, it should be steam's responsibility to handle advertising, exactly how releasing a game on PS4 absolved the devs from doing any advertising and puts the responsibility on Sony. This is basic fucking stuff.

>it's another fucking 2d metroidvania game
I can't wait for this retarded indie scene to crash, devs shitting out the same fucking games DAILY should not be rewarded in the slightest

It's another devs blame steam for their shit game episode

Attached: thumb_vBwm0k0ONzcZsZej4oebsWSUzhw0fIOhmLGb6jYd.jpg (585x430, 53K)

I agree, but user advertising is really expensive

That guy got a job at Capcom because of this game.

>Creativity is limited entirely to art, not gameplay

I fucking hate what Yea Forums's become
>Super Cloudbuilt
>Rain World
>Darkwood
>Hollow Knight
>What Remains of Edith Finch
>Nex Machina
>Everspace
>Night in the Woods
>West of Loathing
>Hidden Folks
>Golf Story
>SteamWorld Dig 2
>Pyre
>A Hat in Time
>Dead Cells
>Heat Signature
>Card City Nights 2
>OneShot: Solstice
>Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
>Dusk
>Lethal League Blaze
>Runner3
>CrossCode
>ZeroRanger
>Frozen Synapse 2
>Into the Breach
>Guacamelee! 2
>Iconoclasts
>Overload
>Celeste
>Baba is You
>ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove
>Shakedown: Hawaii
>Slay the Spire
>Minit
>Risky Rain 2 EA

There have been a fuckton of great indie games released since 2017

I really don't understand the disconnect from reality these indie devs have. Do sellers on Amazon or Ebay complain that their listings aren't advertised by the website for them? Do people who rent booths at a flea market complain to the owners that no one is walking by their stall? Why is it that in almost every aspect of capitalism it's the indie devs in the video game industry that just don't fucking understand how anything works and whine like children?

Does anyone actually use Steams recommendation shit at all? I don’t think I’ve ever bothered with it to find a game.

>pointing out a problem is whining

Why do you assume he is not doing any work? Do you always just assume the worst in people to protect your frail ego?

I agree, I heard steam changed the algorithm and it fucked a lot of devs over (ie it replaced their game with portal 2 or something) but when I look at their games it just screams entitlement

I wish there were more places with free proof of concept games that were actually well populated

>exactly how releasing a game on PS4 absolved the devs from doing any advertising and puts the responsibility on Sony.

This isn't true at all

The game industry has a universal belief that customer's aren't people. They are just mindless consumers obligated to buy everything.

>Summer grand prix sale
>Literally no indies were advertised
>Only AAA franchises like Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, Call of Duty, etc got advertising

Yea Forums will still defend Valve because they're gaben cocksuckers

Attached: corgi grand prix race steam 2.png (1589x750, 191K)

>indie pixelgame that's like Mega Man but not really
Maybe, here me out here, just maybe this game released to a market completely fucking saturated with similar games?

And now compare that list to the garbage dumped onto steam every - single - day. It's no wonder people are fed up.

>"Oh, hey that artstyle looks good, why I haven't heard of this befo-"
>Gameplay starts
>Fucking room based 2D 16-Bit "flashy" combat game
>Looks generic as fuck
>"Oh"

it costs zero dollars to send review copies to YouTube reviewers

Yes it is. They release the game on their platform, they have to handle the advertising for it as well. The devs just had to make the game.

And yet stores charge tens of thousands for manufacturers to have the privilege of placing their product on a shelf, even more for "prime shelf space" such as at eye level for adults, or kids if you're in that market.

>Maybe, here me
>here me

Attached: objection face when.jpg (1386x1385, 115K)

You want a bad algorithm?

Games on EGS don't even show up in Google search results. Search for any EGS exclusive game. You won't get an EGS store page in the results. You're more likely to get a hit for the Steam page before EGS.

Attached: file.png (1168x1006, 520K)

Please cite your sources

Hey Thomas

Ah yes, here it goes again.

>steam needs to open the store for poor indie devs!
>steam needs to curate their content from shovelware!
>Waaaahhhhh why is my game getting curated! Steam needs to open up their store!

And so the cycle continues.

Steam has been paying Google to bury EGS hits, this has been known for a long time now.

Its something like 20 games release on steam every single day and yet there are barely any good indie games! Titles like Underrail, Rimworld and Grimrock are in the minority. Make an intresting game, make something we have never seen before or make an improvement, a big improvement on games made in the past. Ditch overused art styles and get people talking about your game. Communities sell games more then ads and wishlists do!
Its fucking sad, If your game is
A. Pixle art side scroller.
B. RPG maker style.
C. 2001 graphics survival crafting open world.
YOU DONT DESERVE A SALE!
Your game will never be a classic, your game will never be remembered, your game might as well never have been made.

Curation of the store is a fucking retarded idea because good games will fall through the cracks and be missed. Everyone bitches about wanting curation, but what they really want is curation where anything 'worse' than what they made is rejected so they can get the most eyes on them. It's an impossible task to please everyone

OH NO NO NO NO WE GOT TOO COCKY EPICBROS

speaking from my expierence with coworkers, those that are the biggest whiners are the laziest people. and yes that is my assumption with them. the others that did work are not complaining because they're still selling (i hope)

based steam filtering the shit out

>Don't worry guys, the Steam drones will support the indies!

Attached: darq 3.jpg (1636x713, 62K)

also indie developers:

Attached: header (1).jpg (460x215, 48K)

But Valve doesn't care about EGS at all. Timmy is the one seething and throwing money around trying to make a dent.

If your game is good I will hear about it and even still there is a low chance of me actually playing it

Attached: 1568575677436.gif (1080x1080, 172K)

you don't think EGS has the money to unbury it?

How retarded are you?

Is his game shit? Steam no longer recommending shit games is a win for the end user.

>Concurrent player count
>For a two-hour indie puzzle game

You people really do have a mental handicap don't you? Shit even going by number of reviews would do better as some kind of judge of sales

>But Valve doesn't care about EGS at all.

OFF THE FLORIDA KEYES

THERE'S A PLACE CALLED COPEOMO

Attached: Steam-Epic-Games-Store-09-08-2019.jpg (850x883, 852K)

They don't, because Epic wants to win this market war in an honest and fair way.

Amazing that you can throw literally shit with no proof on social media and people eat it up

>Steam result shows up before Epic
kek

Attached: okay this is epic.jpg (796x863, 186K)

Isn't this just completely entitled indie "devs" demanding that their game has to sell millions no matter how bland and boring it is?

Its the price you pay for allowing just about anyone to publish on it. That being said if there was curation, there will probably be a few games out there that get filtered despite being pretty good. For example, Slay the Spire has some awful art, but the game itself is fine, pretty good even, but if the curation system was to be lazy and only judged it based on looks or some stupid shit (valve has been lazy as shit lately anyways), then the game would probably be filtered.

Attached: 1367575499204.jpg (565x300, 32K)

>fuck steam, they should allow us to get free advertising and sell useless season passes for a game THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE BASE VERSION AVAILABLE ON STEAM

Attached: perfectlyfine.png (657x499, 256K)

Kokomo is a fictional place, retard.

I'd prefer the store to be split up completely between triple and double A on one side and indies on the other. Let them drown in their very own sea of shit.

yes

they all think they're going to be the next Binding of Isaac

>Its the price you pay for allowing just about anyone to publish on it

And whose fault is that?

>D-D-DUH INDIES!!!1

Just because children are asking for candy doesn't mean you give it to them. If Steam was a parent, they'd be an awful one and probably be a ghetto couple with 20 kids

>Has been in since december 2017
>Valve didnt even find epic to be worth the hassle of enforcing the rule
Top lel, the only thing I love more than the fact that all those egs sellouts realizing they were walking on eggshells is the fact that it was probably a valve employee who started this on reddit a few days ago just for lols

And then you see a bunch of indie devs rip off its gameplay wholesale. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of good Indies but there are also a mountain of games which should have been released on a newgrounds type outlet instead, looking at you itch.io

NOOO CURATION MEANS YOU'RE MEANT TO GET RID OF ALL THE INDIE GAMES EXCEPT FOR MY ONE

Attached: 1458386169020.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

And that clause was there before Epic was operating a 3rd-party game storefront

Allowing indie games on steam really was the biggest mistake they've ever done.

This is 2 or 3 years old and was put in place to stop some shitty assetflip scams iirc

Have this people tried making a standout game? I am so goddamn sick of hearing from every indie game developer who thinks every indie game is a miracle and deserving of everyone's time and money.

8 years ago this user put his fingers in me without my permission
6,000,000 likes 4,000,000 retweets

There aren't enough 2D pixel platformers.

Gauges in the ears and noise piercings immediately make me lose all respect I might have ever had for you as a person. All I can see are your bad decisions on your face.

A faggoty indie dev died because of this you know

Based. Double A games is where its at

This is exactly what anyone who says Steam needs curation really means

>oh no my platformer game in this oversaturated platformer market isn't selling well!
based Steam

LGBT indie developers bitching about Steam only has top seller list
>Steam made "new and treading" list to promote small indie games
>"New and treading" got flooded by overwhelming amount of shitty games that people won't even bother to click and see the store page
>Eventually people just straight out ignore "new and trending" and default top selling list again
>Indie devs bitch again
>Steam makes indie game flooding their store front page
>Eventually people got tired of steam's ads cancer and stops browsing steam store for games
>Impulse buying plummets
>Indie game don't sales because people don't really surf on steam store anymore
>Indie devs bitch more

Attached: happy.png (266x271, 91K)

Counterpoint. There unironically aren't enough survival, crafting, open world games.

With how much absolute garbage on steam now days I want to know what he worked on before I give a remote fuck about how steam is hurting him.

Because 6 out of 10 that’s a good thing

>retarded idea because good games will fall through the cracks and be missed
no, good games will sell, like they always do

same with roguelikes

fuck ind*Efags and fuck pix*L trash

>your bad decisions
Like what we're doing right now?

Meanwhile in the real world...

steamcommunity.com/app/824570/discussions/0/2763442118821001205/#c1638668751261513753

Attached: really makes me think.jpg (404x270, 32K)

At least face tattoos mean you have the guts to stand by your horrible choices

kotaku.com/valve-says-its-unfair-that-metro-exodus-is-exclusive-to-1832129331

>Today, Valve posted a notice to the Metro Exodus Steam page. “We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period,” the company wrote. “We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know.”

OOOOOH I WANNA TAKE YOU DOWN TO COPEOMO

WE'LL GET THERE FAST AND THEN TAKE IT SLOW

How in the flying fuck did you miss the entire point of what I was saying? They can't sell if Steam or other digital storefronts won't sell them because of 'curation'

Good. Fuck indies.

This, if one of my friends tell me about a good game I get it, in a free market two things rise to the top, gold and shit advertised like gold.

>Valve complains it's unfair
>Proceeds to do absolutely nothing
>Game comes to steam
I know you're shitposting for (you)s, but come on, put in some actual effort

>refuse to pay a publisher to publish their title
>"w-why isn't my game getting exposure guys it's not fair"

This. I can't think of a single game that isn't given exposure by the people who enjoy it. Your indie landfill project isn't entitled to my money and attention, earn it.

So did indy devs do that? Or did they just dump it on the store and expect it to sell itself?

Paying for indie games is the first mistake anyway, it makes them greedy and ruins every semblance of artistic endeavours.

Thats right!
Steam should really promote small games like changed more!

Attached: 20190916_170418.jpg (720x436, 118K)

no they are making pixel art platformer #7834553 expecting to get lots of attention

You're right user. We should only pay for AAA games and their lootboxes

AAA games and lootboxes are at least honest

Changed is furry kino

Your assertion is as false as the fictional Kokomo.

Ok lets be real.
The vast majority of indie game developers have a romanticised idea of being le artisanal game crafting artist/one man studio and just can't accept the fact that like 60% of being self employed is getting your hands dirty being a businessman.
They have tantrums because they expect Steam to just do that entire side of things for them. The majority of these people are staggeringly arrogant and are trying to charge like £10 for the sort of thing that would have been a free browser game 15 years ago.

Attached: 1431117078131.jpg (1366x768, 275K)

and you will froth because you're an indie cocksucker
I don't want shitty pixel games on my homepage

Why do game devs make me feel so disgusted? Their game doesn't sell a shit and it's the store's fault?
Let me guess, he did some pretentious trash with 2 hours of gameplay...

Artists are scum user, we have known this for thousands of years.

>tfw want to make my own game
>can't possibly afford to buy advertising
>don't want to share IP rights and my freedom with jew publishers
>don't want to be an attentionwhoring patreon/twitter user

so do i just post my game here in genre threads

And they wonder why the devs keep going to epic chinks

Agreed 100%. The problem is these days you do see enough games that are browser game tier get rich off of flash game tier depth sold for 10-15 it encourages people to follow that path. Mind you even those games usually have some merit in either being the first, having charm, having really good execution, and/or being made by someone who already has a bit of a name.

>so do i just post my game here in genre threads
get out shill

what if its niche as fuck

so between getting for free a 70$ AAA game, with one of them being the most anticipated game of the year, people should try to get a 10$ indie game.
Alright

Have someone playtest it
Shill it. But do it smartly

then it's even more obvious that you're a shill and you shouldn't even mention you're a dev. fucking shills are the biggest reason Yea Forums has gone to shit.

If your game has a genuinely engaging gameplay loop you could post a demo for people to play here and keep your fingers crossed that it picks up in popularity and gains traction through word of mouth. Also be completely upfront about it being your game and answer questions people have about it and shit. Probably the most low-budget advertising method you could go for

>WAHHHHHHH WHY ISN'T MY SODA SELLING AS MUCH AS COCA COLA/PEPSI?
>FUCK WALMART NOT PROMOTING MY SODA
>WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

>pizza right next to his name
Oh that's no good...

if you game is good, you can post a single copy online and you'll sell
yes it's that easy: make a good game and it will sell, people shoul try it more

Not what I'm talking about

On the front page, there was a revolving thing you could through - and it had all the big franchises on Steam

But no indies.

Literally no indie was advertised in a big way during the Grand Prix sale. How the fuck was anyone supposed to discover anything when it's all buried beneath triple As?

>mindless consumers complain about providers being upset and choosing to not sell their games on their favorite monopoly storefront.
That's so Yea Forums

What is the sample size?
Do you have the large enough of a sample to back that argument up?

this shit right chere

Maybe their games are not that good and the algorithm is reflecting that?

We had a thread recently with a guy who posted a demo of his game on itch.io that was very well received. He was also in the thread answers people's questions, taking suggestions and generally actually being a part of the community. Alternatively there is some retard who spams his ironic weeb patreon game who constantly gets shit on when he posts, and all he does is drop a YouTube link and run. That should answer your question

He made a generic pixelshit metroidvania that doesn't stand out from the other 5 billion generic pixelshit metroidvanias.

>Make yet another generic pixel game in an oversaturated market
>Not released yet
>Doesn't even have a release date
>WTF WHY ARE BEST SELLING GAMES PRIORITISED INSTEAD OF ME? WHY ISN'T MY GAME BEING ADVERTISED FOR ME, STEAM IS BROKEN
Stop bitching on Twitter, make a more interesting game instead of something that literally looks like an asset flip of Dead Cells and similar games, and advertise your game instead of bitching, and maybe it'll be one of those 'extremely wishlisted games' the algorithm likes.

Attached: 1416225434436.jpg (500x375, 115K)

Pretty much that. And many of them quit their jobs to devote to game development and are now desperate.
In addition, there is also the fact that some start without having a fan base. It's possible to have a small fan base doing free amateur stuff and that probably makes devs lives a lot easier.
And lastly, many of the indie games are not good enough to survive independently and spread naturally over the internet (by the way, piracy is super useful for that, but I don't doubt these clueless devs think piracy is their enemy).

>look up this "scourgebringer" on steam
>" fast-paced free-moving roguelite platformer"
nah, sounds like that the algorithm's working as intended

>there is some massive customer demand for indie games that Valve is supressing because reasons
>I cant actually prove this demand exists

lmao these devs can go put their game on Itchio if they want. What they really want is for Valve to ram their games down everyones throats, and then an amount of them will complain because there;s only so much space on the front page

> Muh PINK
> Muh Palette

>We had a thread recently with a guy who posted a demo of his game on itch.io that was very well received. He was also in the thread answers people's questions, taking suggestions and generally actually being a part of the community
Christ I fucking hate it when devs try this kind of slimy bullshit

>daily wishlisting
Seriously?

>steam becomes over saturated
>ratio of games to garbage made to profit off a broken system is 1 in 20
>shit like OP gets in because of this system alone
>steam fixes the problem
>obvious collateral damage happens

And nothing of value was lost

It's why sales usually made you go through the recommendation system and wishlist/ignore games to get reading cards. They really fucked up this year's if the intent is to promote smaller games

Yes, steam had a deal with big IPs for the "event"
so ? It's not an advertisement event
in fact steam never says they'll advertise your game if you put in on their store
why would they advertise someone else for free ? unlike those rainbow haired "devs" think, they're not special, they didn't do anything to deserve a special treatment

you forgot:
>"retro-styled" fps
>anything "roguelike"
>anything perpetually in early access

this but only semi-ironically
most indie developers are insufferable faggots

Why should I laugh at this? The guy tried and at least made some money, also shipping ANY product is good on the resume.

Lel

Steam algorithm should satisfy users, not be "fair", by some arbitrary definition, to small time developers.

>We had a thread recently with a guy who posted a demo of his game on itch.io that was very well received
Was that that FPS you could walk the walls?

>Alternatively there is some retard who spams his ironic weeb patreon game who constantly gets shit on when he posts
What are you talking about? Is that adventure with Pepe?

Amount of published games on Steam is actually dropping compared to the previous years.

They're all just a bunch of dramatic cunts that don't do rudimentary market research. There's no room for more pixel garbage shit that does not have a super interesting hook and niche.

>indie dev
>pizza emoji
how long until its revealed hes a pedo

Celeste is a janny so sorry its no good.

Good, fuck "indie" developers. They're a bunch of egotistical fuckwads.

There are too many indie games. I feel that the indie market is going to crash and/or consolidate into fewer but bigger indie games.

Retarded indie devs can take their shit to Epic store or wherever else.
Wait a year and watch the entire issue and whining recreate itself elsewhere because their entire demand for a curation system is literally just "create a system that increases visibility for my game but reduces it for everyone elses games"

Attached: 1458231994914.jpg (807x605, 145K)

Yeah yeah and it's about abortion, I know this track already

they rly need to do a better job at promoting indi games
so manny times iv found great indie games and they have next to no reviews and none of my friends even see them unless there looking for them

We might start seeing the rise of the III market

Most are deluded by the labor theory of value; that because they worked hard on something they should be rewarded for it regardless of whether anyone actually wanted the thing.

NOOOOOOOOOO WHY WON'T STEAM GIVE ME PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT, FREE ADVERTISING AND MONEY I HAVE TO DO THINGS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IT'S NOT FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR

I might figure out how I could create a vertical slice to post on itch, then.

It's meant to be horror game with a heavily interconnected level built around a central hub where tasks can be completed in varying order, but I haven't worked out the fine details. Just that I want to invoke feelings of metroidvanias and point n click adventures.

This. All i get from that twatter cunt is
>waaah now i only sell 2 copies a month of my walking simulator instead of 4 waah

Why do you hate that tayal-dev that much, user? Just stop.

Yes the the former, no to the latter. I'm not exactly sure what the game is I just know it says things like, "heccin lewd"

>here me out here

Attached: gettyimages-81036920-640x640.jpg (480x360, 31K)

Some Indie devs should be gassed

How can you expect people to take you seriously when half of those games are hilariously bad?

It's easier to believe yourself being great and also held down by "the Man" (this time a fat white guy's nefarious algorithm), than to actually be doing shit.
I mean, he did code the game, why isn't he rich already?

Literally just give free copies out to streamers. NorthernLion, Vinesauce, Jerma, any of the mid-level streamers will net you instant notoriety. If you're playing the long game, it's a safer bet to give it out to low level streamers with ~50 subs. Giving out 40 copies and creating fake hype will generate real hype.

Attached: 1563721646704.jpg (1280x1280, 186K)

>Why are released well-selling games being favoured over unreleased pixelshit generic metroidvania #635?

Attached: 1470420813837.gif (356x400, 2M)

Give it a shot user, I wouldn't make a thread about the game itself until it's in a very playable state, but the game dev threads would be more than welcoming. No clue what the threads on vg look like, iirc they have drama flare up pretty often

Please user, tell me which are hilariously bad

Its like 1 or 2 games a year that are better then games made 20 years ago what the fuck do they expect?

Amount of games published is actually tapering down, the indiepocalypse is just not reality.

Who gives a fuck?
Most indie devs are nothing but a bunch of entitled crybabies

I mean is it fake hype if they play and enjoy the game? I'd think it's only fake if they were straight up sponsored to play it

Why do indie devs think they're entitled to our money and free publicity?

Attached: 1559491072231.jpg (450x450, 122K)

Unironically the politcal climate

>Shartifart
>Blunderlords
>Dota2 queue times over 9000 with role introduction
>banning people for problematic avatars all of a sudden
>half life 3 never

Can we just admit this company is absolute dogshit now and needs to go?
They've had their time.

>Literally just give free copies out to streamers. NorthernLion, Vinesauce, Jerma, any of the mid-level streamers will net you instant notoriety.
This.
I think Toby Fox only gave Joel a copy because he knew skeletons were a meme in Joel's Twitch chat.
And look where that got him.

III market?

Devs are not doing market research and are going into genres that have been abused to hell.

Metroidvania, Roguelikes, Platformers etc all these have been done to death in all graphical styles.

But devs are going into those genres because "I like that as a kid and it's retro and shit so of course it's gonna sell well"

WTF! CELESTE DOES IT FOR HOTPOCKETS

>any of the mid-level streamers will net you instant notoriety.

I'm pretty sure we've seen instances where even fucking PewDiePie played some indie horror games and they never sold more than a few thousand copies

lal, my thoughts exactly
>wait, that looks awesome
>HD pixel art, sweet neon colors
>Suddenly gameplay
>Everything is a 50*50 sprite

>But devs are going into those genres because "I like that as a kid and it's retro and shit so of course it's gonna sell well"
Probably more because they're easier to make.

no, it means you're stupid

This.

I have no clue whatsoever why some devs are super stingy with handing out free keys.

It's not a loss at all.

It starts off as "fake hype" as 30 streamers are playing your heretofore unknown game, but if it's good, it becomes real hype.

Attached: 1567694226780.jpg (4385x6092, 2M)

I just want to make porn game which played and discussed by Yea Forumsros.

Attached: 1510618990826.jpg (292x292, 22K)

>Game crafter

Attached: faggot.jpg (285x425, 30K)

What's wrong with Twitter, how the fuck you think you're gonna advertise your game, by being quiet about it?

But then you actually have to make a good game! You cant expect artists to actually produce something of value!

Oh boy, I'll never get tired of shovelware devs crying on twitter.

That’s several thousand more than it would have sold

Just do it then, I'm sure plenty of coomers here will like it.

>literally who game studio
>generic pixleshit indie trash thats in alpha with no tentative release date
>no marketing
Gee I wonder why no one is wishlisting it?

How to detect testosterone depletion is when you refer your straightforward job as something quirky and exotic.

Maybe you are talking about solvalley shill?

I think spending the first 25 years of your life having everything secured by others makes you believe that this is the natural order of things, some shit like that.

He is literally only fishing for EGS sympathies hoping that daddy Tim will notice him and throw him a bone and heat on the store fight.

Oldest trick in the book.

post your beard

this doesn't say/mean what you think it does, nice try tho buttercup

Just from seeing what indie devs say I am 100% certain the majority of them are narcissists.
Look at indie devs that claim their game is art or making games is an art and how trash they are generally.
Making a good game to me requires art but also science.
You want to balance gameplay (mostly programming), music, and visuals.
Indie games fall short in one or two of these aspects but instead of the dev in question trying harder next time or learning something new they'll complain or say that the gamers are at fault (Yiikes for example)
Like I can understand making games is their passion, but if the game isin't fun, nobody is gonna play it.

Attached: 1568484222757.png (500x281, 276K)

Hey Thomas, shouldn't you be promoting your game instead of posting on Yea Forums?

Then where do you go to see the latest releases

we need a famine or something man I can't take this shit

>ScourgeBringer is a fast-paced free-moving roguelite platformer.

It's like the guy is a retard who doesn't realize the genre has been played out. After rogue legacy and dead cells, and countless other games with the exact same fucking description there is no appetite for this anymore. This dev is no fucking different from an AAA dev who have copied formulas over the years. When your game is a clone, it wont sell well unless it is something truely special.
Feel bad for the guy, the game looks pretty good but rather then following trends like a sheep(and due to game dev time missing the window completely) he fucked himself.

Who's the most based indie dev?
And why is it Toby Fox?

>being a devdrone
>being a steamdrone
>spending your money on video games
>spending your time arguing about which kike trying to sell data for your livelihood is morally superior
I came here to laugh at all of you.

Another reason Steam won't get my dollars anymore.

it costs hundred-few hundred bucks to have the said youtuber make a video about it.

I am making a co-op focused game, but have no friends to test it with.

that's weird because when I google "Steam has been paying Google to bury EGS hits" I don't see anything

Valve employees LOOK LIKE THIS?!?!

Attached: molly.jpg (2048x2048, 461K)

>Steam takes more than competitors
>Steam says it is because they have the most users and can market you the best
>Retard on 4chin says opposite

LayMayAayOay.

>He's tried to get based Tim to give out his game for free
Honestly based, Tim is such a patron of the arts

You honestly think Steam wouldn't cover its tracks?

>people cry about garbage games on steam
>valve implements a system to reduce the amount of publicity garbage games gets
>people cry about their garbage games gets filtered aswell
you reap what you sow

You think steam pays off gaming journalist? We need someone brave to do some investigative journalism and blow this case wide open!

How can that be possible?
I thought Epic was the one swimming in cash, they could just very well pay google triple of whatever steam paid and have those articles or whatever visible again

Gaben has insiders at Google, this shit goes way up

>yes, DARPA funded psyops are true art

read Epic is literally to honest to defend themselves you dirty drone

>steam takes more than competitors

How is 0% cut more than competitors?

It is not Steam’s job to sell your game for you. That is your job. Steam gives you access to tens of millions of customers, that is how they justify their percentage.

How far does this whiny indie problem go back?

Attached: dims.jpg (580x322, 41K)

>Why won't steam shill my $2.99 asset flip/hentai puzzle?!

Every indie game these days is a pixelshit side scroller, a permadeath dungeon crawler, or a SJW walking sim. There is absolutely no creativity in that space whatsoever.

>oh no no no, my indie pixelshit games
LOL who cares, also this

Oh no! The pixelshit game that nobody is going to buy isn't being promoted?!

Gee, I wonder why.

Attached: featurenotabug.png (706x518, 172K)

scourge bringer????????????????

Steam has resources on the client, IE curators, the AI, wishlist, the discovery page (which they usually force people to during sales for trading cards). The thing is none of these methods will ever be as effective at reaching customers as traditional advertising or making it big on Reddit/twitter.

Quite a bit. They were the ones who wanted curation, but then couldn't sell their asset flips anymore, so then whined for Steam to open the floodgates back up.

And your indie game is the off-brand

>Every indie game
See: I'm being lazy in my counting but at least 20 of those games don't fall under any of those definitions

Fuck I wanna marry Tae

Attached: Tae_Surprised_Cutin.png (872x632, 169K)

Which they need to do themselves

Ah, it is because you have shit taste!

>If you don't buy generic pixelshit game then you must buy generic shooter game.
How about I buy neither because both are fucking uncreative dull rehashes in a saturated market?

Attached: 1490197928891.jpg (1180x822, 168K)

>not including he/him in his description
based CIS-lord

The cream is rising to the top still, the system doesn't need to be fixed the shitty devs just need to be silenced

And were they advertised?

Right those are tools that Steam gives to help but ultimately it is their job to sell the game. Car companies put ads on tv but dealers need to actually sell the things if they want to make money.

These guys act like they are owed fame and fortune just because they put a game on Steam. The fact is that making the thing is only the first step.

the best decision they ever made nothing worse in gaming than pixel indie trash

>Beard
>Earring
>Thick frame glasses
>Shit indie Dev
>Twitter
Every single time. Fuck this fat entitled faggot and fuck you for making this thread OP. I hope steam stops allowing all this early access indie cancer in response to the daily bitching and all of these worthless American numales end up working at a burger king

>Every indie game these days is a pixelshit side scroller, a permadeath dungeon crawler, or a SJW walking sim.
>posts a list of nothing but side scrollers, permadeath dungeon crawlers and sjw walking sims.
You're a retard, bud.

Attached: 048a0d88add1.jpg (480x600, 35K)

t. seething dev cuck

>I have no idea how google results editing works

>"it doesn't care anymore about tags"
Tags stopped being a thing the second the gamejournos got upset that people were using tags to make fun of walking simulators.

>give people what they want
>no one wants indie shit
what's the problem again?

I want to be able to tag off dlcs in search it's annoying seeing a AAA game I don't care about show up 15 times in a row

>I want to be a game dev but do none of the work
So you're just a faggot ideas guy then

Ah yes, why doesn't the almighty algorithm favor MY game instead of those games? Why is Gaben trying to ruin MY life.

Attached: 1568249201839.png (1050x2376, 3.42M)

There are way too many shitty indie games on steam.

SONY only handles the adverstising of exclusives, everythig else they don't care and only do it if it says so in the contract.

This is the MH on west situation, where Capcom kept insisting nobody liked the game on the west, Nintendo makes a deal for MH4 exclusivity and they'll handle the advertising. Suddenly MH sells +3 million on the west and now it's a known franchise.
Go figure.

Only if you want them to say good things and force them to release the review on a set date.
Many news site or youtubers don't get paid beyond being sended a copy.

>Shitty games arent popular and good games are popular
>Do no advertising of your shitty game, never put it on sale
>Wtf why is my game not selling

youtube.com/watch?v=AnwPdPGcRDo
>roguelike
>everything dies in a single hit
>plataformer
>pixel art
Generic rooms, celeste boring pixel art style, with procedural generate maps, oh yes, the game is drowning with interesting ideas and concepts, I'm sure I will never be able to find a cheaper and older version of the genre; just a though, why not invest on the art style, just a little bit more, and make sure the game looks less generic as possible ?

Attached: strider__r1426285271.gif (180x96, 5K)

Thicc to the point of borderline fat but I'll take it

How do I stop Steam for trying to sell me hentai and rpg maker games/visual novel just because I play some Japanese games?
I literally have never in my life played an Rpg maker game, a visual novel or a porn game.

That has never been a reason. Steam didn't seek these cunts out and promise them marketing. That's what a publisher is for. These cunts came to Steam. They all wanted the gates to be opened so that they could be let in. Now the gates are open and they're all in competition with each other. But they blame the store front for their lack of success instead of taking a look at their product and seeing that it is shit and does nothing to stand out.
I wonder what all these whiny cunts think about open boarders policy. I'll honestly be surprised if I hear they're for it considering their statements on the store and lack of Steam's curation.
After all, everyone else is the problem, not MY game.

Attached: 190201-trump-border-mc-901_9ead837eab538a44c958d642ab711e7e.fit-760w.jpg (760x507, 37K)

>rougelikes/lite

This meme needs to die and the people who like it along with it. All it does is pad out a miniscule amount of content with false difficulty in the form of rolling the correct builds.

If the game becomes piss easy because the game randomly gave you some extremely good shit, then it's a shit game.

Also I've recently seen a game advertising itself as "story rich" while being a "rouge-lite" which just means finding the story is a tedious slog of run after run to have the right points of interest appear, and god hopes you have that proper build this run to "experience" the story or else die.

Not interested.
Hide adult content.

>If they spent half as much time advertising their game as they do crying on Twitter,
Advertisement cost a a lot of money.

You have no idea what you’re talking about

>Steamfags crawl out of the woodwork to defend the corrupted capitalist practices of their idol
And you wonder why more and more people flock to Epic

Filter the Visual Novel and Nudity tags.

So what do you think devs would do if EGS did not outright pay them upfront ans instead worked like any other store where you can only put your product?

Do you think they'd sell much more?
>yes because there's much less shit to drown in
And what do you think will happen over time? What will Epic move be if the store picks up speed and grows large enough that thousands of companies and devs are continously asking to get in?

Sooner or later Epic is going to be flooded with shit, and judging by their inability to code a shopping cart, they're going to have the same visibility problems as Steam even with 95% less games.

There shouldn't be this many indie developers, and suckers are beginning to realize that their pieces of paper called game development degrees aren't worth their weight in shit. Maybe if they didn't support illegals flooding the job market, there would have been a decent manufacturing job for them out there

people complaining their game isn't getting promoted on steam are the same ones saying 2 hours of playtime before blocking refunds is too long, good indie games spread by word of mouth.

I honestly think the next actual vidya crash will be an indie game crash

It can be as cheap as sending some keys to gaming blogs/game reviewers on YouTube and asking them to review your game.

>Oh no! My special snowflake game deserves more attention than this other indie dev snowflake game

Indie devs are so desperate

OH NO NOT SCOURGEBRINGER
BROS EPIC MIGHT TAKE SCOURGEBRINGER FROM US
>check the game out
>black woman protagonist with an afro, procedural generated rogue-lite

>just a though, why not invest on the art style, just a little bit more, and make sure the game looks less generic as possible ?
Most indie devs cant afford a decent artist. And when they do reach out for artist to hire, they scoff at their prices.
>Bro, I'm just asking you to make a character sheet with over 200 frames. Why you charging per frame? I'll give you $20. Think of the mad exposure you'll get for working on my game+

Attached: 1568490702357.jpg (640x688, 229K)

Steam has some really good features, like this ignore button.

Attached: ignore.png (1003x607, 522K)

Real Question
Indie devs are always complaining about visibility
But do they consider that when you have 3000 indie fags wanting attention, no one gets it?

I'm looking forward to Noita and Jupiter Hell, a pixelshit roguelite and traditional roguelike respectively. If I haven't heard of "Scourgebringer" this guy is doing something wrong.

really?
Its an obvious megaman engine for gamemaker that he probably took from youtube and replaced the art

>Epic stealing all the indies
>Valves response is to make it so indies arn't showing up thanks to a broken algorithm
Hilarious, whats next in the story of steam shooting itself in the foot?

Attached: 34634.jpg (234x216, 9K)

And you overestimate the amount of money youtubers get.
The breakpoint is streaming, youtubers are currently not making that much money due how they changed the terms of use uears ago. Most of their income comes from external sponsors and some exceptional cases, but most aren't stable enough for a fully fledged deal, specially if both sides are just literally who people that don't even speak their language.
Most of them are given a review copy and only big ones are paid, mainle because prior to release indie devs usually don't have enough money to afford then, so they rely on it.

I find ironical that the indie game market is so saturated that they dont sell
10 years ago indies were untamed land, nowadays indies are dime a dozen.
Its like amateur writers, less than 1% of the fags will break through because its such a saturated market

Post some good artstyles user

Attached: biggest_mida_miditool.png (1952x1024, 39K)

>Jupiter Hell
dat end of the trailer

I still have to see a non-rogue game using procedural content correctly, people forgot what made the genre interesting was the random part, sometimes you had okay runs, other times you step on the wrong tile and game over, or you equipped a cursed item, who knows, it's random.

I know about that, I'm currently making a game, and I don't have enough money to hire an artist, so I decided to study and practice by myself, takes a long time to get good, but, it's worth it.

Nope. They are completely unaware that the market is flooded right now. Steam Greenlight was an alright compromise that kept shitty walking simulators and asset dumps out of the store as the curation was done by the consumers. Of course, indie devs see the consumer as the enemy so they bitched about Greenlight until it was removed for an "EVERYONE IS HERE!" policy.
Now they shit all over themselves and are asking the question
>WHO LET ALL THIS SHIT IN HERE?!

Attached: 8b4t7zfkye8z.jpg (702x545, 61K)

Maybe the 3000 of them should pool their resources together and divvy up the work so they can do everything more efficiently.

>people who deal with Steam publishing their games every day are wrong
>people who shitpost about games they will never play are right

>But do they consider that when you have 3000 indie fags wanting attention, no one gets it?
No, because what they made is special. They've always been special.

>All indie devs go to epic
>OH NO WHY MY SHITTY PIXEL ROGUELIKE IS GETTING DROWNED BY 30 OTHER PIXEL ROGUELIKES?

This. I am fed up with indie devs crying about Steam not doing enough to push their shitty games.

I will care about "indie" developers when 90% of their offerings are not flash games and shovelware. That's what indie means now, not low budget labor of passion, it means shovelware.

Steam is a store, not a publisher. They are not responsible for your marketing.

You just want a pixel art thread.

Attached: ran1.png (385x534, 57K)

Steam should market these indie games by giving them away for free

How about indieshitters make good games

If you make a good game, people WILL seek it out and play it

>Valves response is to make it so indies arn't showing up thanks to a broken algorithm
>Hilarious, whats next in the story of steam shooting itself in the foot?
Not true though, indies are only seething because during the free game giveaway, people wanted free AAA games over free indie games since AAA games cost like 5-6 times more.

My team has released 6 devlogs and a multitude of trailers. No one cares. Recommendations in the store page were all that mattered. We'll need to get a publisher now to put a couple of grand into marketing but whatever.

It was Valve's fault in the first place a $1000 price instead of $100 to place their game on steam would have stopped 99% of indie shits and retards shitting up the store.

It would have stopped all those stupid subhuman slav and bug shits with their hentai puzzle game filled with malware for $0.99

Welp, steam showed his game to me days ago.

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (976x180, 83K)

>everyday
nah, most of them are first time amateur devs or riding on a trend.
The majority of honest and well executed attempts see some degree of success, as mouth to mouth is the main power of indie games.

This game has 50 reviews, so it's probably sold a lot more than 300 copies by now.

>2019
>there are STILL valve drones

hey remember when fartyshart was gonna kill hearthstone AND mtg?

Nah indie devs are ego inflated cunts who all think they are going to make the next undertale and without much help

Big studio directors are ego inflated cunts too a lot of the time but they often understand the importance of having a good and sizeable team

Was your game pixelated? I find that a big reason why indie games dont sell anymore, people are saturated with the art style and will just ignore these games

> bug shits with their hentai puzzle game filled with malware for $0.99
Implying they don't sell better than indie games full of passion and effort

And you still didn't mention the name of whatever shite you're trying to sell. This is why you fail.

10% good games is pretty good desu. Do you really think AAA games are better?

No, 3D puzzle-platformer. It's not out yet which is probably why the algorithm fucked us

have you tried going woke yet

>expecting the biggest memesters on the board to change their minds
Valve drones are stuck in 2008, they think defending Gaben and Valve to be a part of MUH BOARD CULTUR

Attached: 1566213009749.png (800x1000, 820K)

Why do you need a publisher for that? Learn how social media marketing works and do it yourself, it's not that hard. Most of the people who work in marketing are retards who didn't even finish high school.

post your game so we can laugh at it fagget

oh you won't because your commie brain can't handle criticism

>game isn't even out
>expecting anyone to care about unreleased game
But it's Steam's fault guys!

Strange how these devs try everything except making a good game. Weird how the devs of something good like Lobotomy Corp, LISA, Kenshi, Risk of Rain 2 can be successful. Why exactly should steam promote garbage that nobody wants to play?

>its another episode of indie dev complains about his shit game not getting handout visibility instead of making a good game that sells itself/advertising it

Can't mention it here because I have to leave this as an option.

We'll probably be fine but it sucks to have put weeks of effort in getting our Steam page right only to have it undone overnight.

>another episode of steam drone coping and seething

Attached: NEVER EVER.png (228x221, 115K)

>Make Billions.
>Don't invest it in games.
>Barely invest it in the platform.
>Put it all into GabeN's pepperoni fund.

There shouldn't be this many indie games, period. They should be pooling together what talent they have and creating decent size studios, but millennials and gen z loathe traditional business structures so much that they prefer to wing it with 2 or 3 of their vaping buddies

This is really nice user but I'd only see this working for 3D PS1 game's menu

>you can ignore games without even going to their store page now

Attached: 1551332312442.gif (397x345, 75K)

Attached: exorcismsim.png (400x300, 45K)

Every time I see pics like this I wonder how many people saves it and regularly posts it trully believing in it.
What's the % of falseflaggers comparared to those who believe it

just go woke dude before the fad is over. as the saying goes: "YOU GO WOKE, YOU GO IS MAKETH BIG MONIES LIKE MAGIC PONIES"

Valve is based

BASED

INDIE TRANNIES BTFO IGNORED 40%

"why wont people buy more shitty pixelart platformers?"
asks increasingly poor neckbeard dev who spends half of his day browsing loli porn

Wait you can literally draw a fucking dildo with paint and publish it on steam for 100 bucks ?

>games that people want to play are more visible
woah
it's like steam hates indies
fuck white people and fuck blimpf!

>Steam Greenlight was an alright compromise that kept shitty walking simulators and asset dumps out of the store as the curation was done by the consumers
Greenlight at it's first concept, yes. Since it required people to engage and Valve to manually approve. It went downhill the moment they started to approve in droves which was based on if you had X positive votes ignoring that their community was a ghost then eventually automatically approve at like 50 votes.

Which I find fucking hilarious. Indie devs were whining about how the difference of $100 and $1000 was gating the shit out of them and they couldn't afford it. Now the same type of people are complaining that there is too much 'shovelware' on Steam ignoring that their game is part of that category usually.

Although with real shovelware, what's hilarious is the slav that is doing nothing but making hentai puzzle games is making more money than those indie devs who 'spent all their time in the past 2-3 years' making their game.

Attached: 1568596950400.jpg (540x532, 68K)

But obviously people did care if they were wishlisting it constantly up until this update.

>NOOOOOOOOOOOO THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE IT IS LITERAL PROPAGANDA STEAM IS LITERALLY PERFECT
This pic is years old and was relevant then, and is relevant now

It's okay user, I'll support your game.

Attached: 5c44019e44e93666559810bd1bf9b185_original[1].png (700x984, 696K)

>indie games are creative
oh yes, another visual novel about feminism and how white men are evil
very creative

To be fair Kenshi made it big by getting promoted by a certain YouTube personality, and I'd hardly say Lob Corp is doing fantastic although they did well enough to make a new game. But yeah they're cult hits because they are good and have soul

Lol, it's actually kind of close. Same target market.

What this guy wants?
To maintain a crappy website in a dark corner of the internet where he sells his game?
Where he will have to deal with maintaining a credit card payment himself?
Only accepting MUHrica money and MUHrica payments?
How much do you think his game will sell that way?
Steam is not perfect but its Free*(there's a 100 bucks fee i know) , anyone can release their games there.
Want your game on EGS? have it 95% done, with a great audience already interested in your game and maybe they will give you the "honor" to join their "Store". (not gonna judge anyone who takes the deal, you gotta pay the bills).

indie devs should just shill their games here. It's the key to success

Alright wiseguy, If AAA games are all uninspired movie games and indie games are (supposedly) all SJW unimaginative trash, then name me what you games you consider to be "creative".

Attached: 1557423474829.jpg (326x326, 13K)

> Company says they're going top make change to help you.
> Change doesn't help you and has the opposite effect.
> Complain vocally so that the company will see their mistake and fix the problem

No one's petitioning to take down Steam. There was one non developer in that thread saying time to move to Epic

>everything valve does, regardless of what it is, is always a"disaster" for indies

Fuck indies

Attached: 1568503303424.jpg (583x465, 25K)

The worst AAA shooter is still better than a shitty pixel platformer that is actually a copypaste of another pixel platformer just with different colors and name

i would laugh so hard if steam shuts down. will be so much joy to see all these devs going full broke because they don't even realize how steam is keeping them alive. yet they shit on steam all the time.

People should buy what they want to play, you mouth breathing tard. It's the responsibility of the property producers to promote and convey their product to consumers.

Looks like a black guy with white skin on the right

Ultra based, 99% of indiegames are worthless shovelware.
Literally not a SINGLE good indiegame EVER needed to rely on Steam's infrastructure to succeed.
Get fucked walking sim asset flippers.

Attached: TobyRadiationFox.png (378x320, 324K)

>Steam should put my shitty RPGmaker game on the front of steam for weeks and force all curators to pin their reviews of the game there!
Uhuh, let us know how that would go for you in any other industry LOL

>All indie devs go to Epic, costing them a fortune in exclusivity deals
>Steam just keeps promoting the games that actually make money instead
Gabe is a genius who will kill Epic.

And I find it even funnier when they see going to epic as a solution
They dont realize that the problem with the indie market is that offer is through the roof, but demand is not

They think that the problem is that they are not getting visibility, but ignore that any retard with unreal engine or unity is making pixelated roguelikes or platformers and flooding their own market

Indie devs are mentally ill retards and should never be catered to

Attached: Indie Dev Threatens Gabe Newell, Gets His Game Removed from Steam.png (1102x2179, 575K)

I think an important distinction is low effort pixie shit gets ignored. Look at Blasphemous. That's pixie shit of decent enough quality and actually did enough marketing to get people interested. Katana Zero received modest success as well.

and 40% trannies

Attached: Video Game Developer Dies After Setting himself on Fire.png (663x1139, 532K)

Advertising is the primary reason why indie turn to Steam, since it only requires you to properly market your game (ie provide info, screens, footage and updates) while the algorithm is supposed to serve your store page up through suggestions and discovery. I have barely enough time to make the game and zero budget for marketing so I'll be relying on Steam to sell it. Ah well doesn't matter if it flops I just want it released before my health craps out for the final time.

>indie games
Nothing of value was lost

if you really can't be bothered to market it like giving youtubers free keys at least offer a fucking demo

Epic doesnt want random indie games. They spy on the steam wishlist for games people are interested in and then ONLY then would they drop the exclusivity deal to them. They outright decline anyone else and tell them (and I quote) "We are currently not interested in doing a exclusivity deal with your game as it does not seem beneficial for us to have your game on the storefront."
These retarded indie devs can cry about steam all they want but nobody else would want to sell their shitty game in the first place.

I love their new recommender though. Set it to Niche, within 2 years, and see what it gives you. I've found a few good games so far.
store.steampowered.com/recommender/

>These retarded indie devs can cry about steam all they want but nobody else would want to sell their shitty game in the first place.
this. they are spoiled. 99,99% of games on steam belong on flash browser game websites, itch.io or microsoft store

>This one Chinese worm talking about Epic when nobody else cares about that shit company

Attached: 1502831597352.jpg (1024x860, 147K)

Here's how to be successful in indie:
>find a franchise/genre that has been effectively abandoned by the publisher
>plagiarize the fuck out of it to fill the demand
>mod support
That's it. Do it with Ape Escape. We all know Sony isn't going to actually look at their classic IPs so just fucking steal it. If it's good and you're upfront about which game you're ripping off, you'll get sales.

Demoes hurt your success on Steam. That's why you'll often see games with an Itch.io demo but no Steam one.

>WE ARE GETTING REPORTS FROM MANY DEVS

Always the same. Never tell you who or even how many devs or what their games are. Just "many devs" are saying this is a "catastrophe".

Fuck indie devs. I have zero pity for them at this point. Maybe if some starve the others will have an easier time.

You're literally thinking of the biggest YouTubers available. On a low budget, you're not going to aim high. You're not going to make a TV commercial either, are you? There's plenty of popular, yet low-profile YouTubers that do game reviews for free if the game interests them and you send them a copy. They're going to be honest though, so if it sucks, they'll tell the viewers.

what happened bros...
why do indie devs no longer want to suck dick...

These people are like gypsies. Force themselves into other people's platforms/land and then demand gibs.

This. They use Steam as their only promotion, then whine when their sales drop.
Promote your fucking game. Steam can't highlight all fucking games that enter the platform, there's too many of them. People are already saying there's a "sea of shit", well your game is probably part of that sea.

People don't play demos anymore, they just pirate and claim "I'm only pirating it to demo it" while never actually buying the game

this is what the indie game market looks like to me when i browse steam
same people complaining about not getting "exposure" for their "good product"

Attached: 56475547.jpg (1229x804, 152K)

Turns out sucking video game journalist dick doesnt work anymore as they're all getting shut down.

Now you've done it.

Attached: 1817259.jpg (688x766, 43K)

Because nowadays gaming journalist have to disclose if the dev sucked their cock for a good review.

>enter over-saturated market
>do nothing special with your game, even if it's decent/good
>don't promote your game, but rely on Steam to do it for you through exposure
>"steam is killing our profits!"

Do these people even hear themselves? There's thousands of games available. Why do these indie devs think their game is good enough to warrant special treatment?

They won't shill their game because mental problems and pure laziness and it only proves they hate consumers more because they won't spend as little as 20 minutes just to shill, you have time to order pizza or shit on the toilet that is time to shill your game on social media fatso

Maybe if my game is a 2D sports party game it should appear on the pages of the other 2D sports party games of which there's like 5. Instead you get COD MW

>Why do these indie devs think their game is good enough to warrant special treatment?
Because they need to make a living and they can't admit that their business is failing. Just working at McDonalds would be too hurtful.
I have to admit, I sometimes blame others too, but at the end of the day I wouldn't go on Twitter and openly blame others in public. I just have a bad day, blame others but keep it to myself. Then I move one.

B-but my [Generic 2d pixel art Platformer] is a masterpiece you just dont know it yet!!

random thought
are indie devs bad at co-op games

>game is out
>gets wishlisted by people who are interested and ignored by people that don't want it
>over time all the potential customers that could be interested in the game have already wishlisted with the exception of residual customers who didn't know about the game due to lack of marketing
>indie developer shits himself and blames steam because there isn't a consistent number of wishlists per month over several years
I thought my "business management" classes in college were a fucking joke but appatently some people actually needed that trash

Attached: 1568394823503.gif (2267x1903, 395K)

That's just a plain lie. Just filter by tags and you get there. COD MW won't show up.

Good. Fuck indie pixelshit.

Lmao delusional dev, get fucked.
You have no talent and your game is shit, start grilling my burgers already.

The problem is that the More Like This section is no longer influenced by tags.

I see muh monoply, what is gog, g2a, and others

free market. if you think steam doesn't enough for you, go to itch.io, humble store or make your own website.

Hey you were right

You literally cannot please indie faggots

Attached: 15457137839943.jpg (685x6942, 1.97M)

Attached: no they wont.png (1003x678, 101K)

why isn't steam promoting this low effort piece of shit to everyone? reeeeeeeeeeeee

rekt

Thanks user.

Do you even fucking know what the More Like This section is you absolute retard

>pizza emoji

Attached: Kopna.jpg (642x642, 105K)

I'm wondering how easy it is to become a game dev. I'm currently following a traineeship to become a software developer (java), but specifically molded to fit in a coorporation (sue me, it pays great). Could that experience ever land me a job as game dev? Not that I want to, just wondering how being a software developer compares with writing code for a game.

indie devs literally do not stop whining, ever.
>steam is too hard to get my game onto
>okay we'll have greenlight
>no sir, I don't like it either!
>okay just pay us $100 and upload a functional game
>AHHHHHHH TOO MANY GAMES HELP ME TWITTER DAMN YOU GABE HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME NOW I HAVE TO ACTUALLY MAKE A COMPETITIVE PRODUCT THAT PEOPLE WANT

Wow it's almost like there's more than one indie dev and they have different opinions on things

this whining shit just makes me NOT want to buy their fucking games

>It's an indie 2D platformer that isn't even out
How about you release the fucking game before crying about steam not promoting it enough

Attached: 1552290975589.png (955x716, 520K)

Unity is apparently retardedly easy to learn
You dont even need to know how to code to become a game dev nowadays

No, not really. I know a guy who's a software dev who got some time on games because the company bounced between products a lot but when they hired me (an actual game dev) i completely replaced him and he went back to software. Do gamedev in your free time if you can but it's easier said than done.

Updated

Attached: 1545713784036.jpg (685x9725, 2.44M)

>You dont even need to know how to code to become a game dev nowadays
thank you for your free advice. it's free of substance and free of truth. it's fully free.
here have some free (you) in return, it's just as valuable.

>Yea Forums siding with AAA corporations just to spite indie SJWs
Based and dare I say redpilled

>They release the game on their platform, they have to handle the advertising for it as well
What the actual fuck are you talking about retard

I still don't know how Flappy Birds took off.
The guy was making $50k a day at one point.
Must be every indie devs dream.

my favorite episode desu, it really forces the termites out of the woodwork so I can see which games to not support.

>AAA bad
IT'S GOOD AND PEOPLE WANT IT; SO I MUST HATE IT AAAAH
indie dev != amateur dev

I dont have to. I can just not buy their game and they are clearly not happy about it.
Also sage doesnt go into the name tab newfag. It goes here.

You stupid nazis don't know how hard it is to make a game. You don't even deserve to be heard to begin with seing how disrespectful and hateful you are towards great people from the indie community and you should be thankful that we're willing to grant you with our creativity.

It has nothing to do with politics, most indie devs are legitimately just trying to run a "get rich quick" scheme with zero effort, yet they feel entitled to Steam resources placing their generic, soulless pixel art shit infront of thousands of eyes for no reason.

Great indie devs actually promote their games themselves and word of mouth spreads their game around naturally because it's, you know, good.

Jesus christ

Attached: 1546791664047.jpg (208x236, 16K)

Reported for declaring sage
newfag

>get the feel of a metroidvania through a fast paced rogue-lite

I sometimes wish Steam did have the same level of curation as Epic just so hacks like these die off.

Wrong, Steam takes the % because they're providing keys, game files hosting and distribution, all that shit they have to deal with when it comes to charging credit cards per region worldwide, bells and whistles features, etc. basically anything and everything that has to do with getting the game into the hands of the consumer is all done on Steam's end and thus the 30% cut is justified because the average indie fuckwit doesn't understand how any of that works or how to set it up themselves (hence why most of these "indies" are actually under some other company that you've never heard of).
Getting the word out that your game actually exists and should be bought for whatever reason isn't their job, the same way it isn't Youtube's job to advertise your let's play channel.

Mobile games getting big is mostly luck as far as I can tell, seeing as you're contending with 100,000 other people who put up their asset swapped flash games

It's your fault for thinking their opinions matter.

It's as easy as coming to Yea Forums and going
>hey anybody else heard of this? Looks pretty neat
>promo_art.jpg

low barrier of entry + twitter echochamber to cry in.

IGNORE

Attached: ignore.png (123x80, 4K)

Cool story bro

Attached: IMG_20190901_202504.jpg (366x365, 14K)

This
It worked for Notch and minecraft

steam250.com/hidden_gems
store.steampowered.com/curator/32686107/
I also like using this. It's automated based on user reviews using a weighted algorithm.

Ah yes, only games made by multi billion dollar international conglomerates are the only way I can stand videogames. Yes, I am truly a real fan of gaming.

99% of steam indie games are irredeemable garbage so who gives a shit

>latest AAA shooters
Go back to 2008 gramos, what's hot now are 3rd person cinematic experiences

It's amazing that they get away with this payola shit with distributors and reviewers. Any other industry would have oversight at this point.

>indieshits are now complaining about their games not being on fucking wishlists
Also should be noted it's only ever the shit nobody's ever heard of that bitch about these kind of things. You don't hear the A Hat in Time or Yooka Laylee devs or whoever else moan about not having exposure on the market because, get this, those devs actually went out of their way to garner that exposure even before the games were finished. Those games aren't even that great, I actually think they're kinda middling too, but at least they can actually advertise their product.

Pin-pon! 2 best shooters of 2018 and 2019, DUSK and Amid Evil, are indie games. What sets them apart from vast majority of indie games is that they're not only original but also took time and skill to make.
In the end games market is a market, if you can't provide good product, you're not likely to succeed there.

Indie scene reaches absurdity of college educated "artists", with no technical skill to make appealing piece, who think they should be successful just because they have diploma and are original in ways they smear shit and menstruation blood on canvas. Thing is, unlike so called "modern art community" patting each other on backs, games market is consumer driven, and if no one buys your shit, you're failure, plain and simple.

Most of the those are shooters

Imagine being this fucking stupid.

Hell, most indie threads here are exactly this, shilling from their devs
Even blasphemous is probably a marketing attempt gone right

I guess that most devs think we are the devil or cant handle a "nigger" without breaking down into tears and heading to resetera

>comparing games with fucking years of kickbacker updates to a random no-name first time ever making a game indie dev

Just shill your game on Yea Forums
Get a thread going on and you will have exposed your game to potentially thousands, then word of mouth do the rest

Hell, Yea Forums is the perfect shilling platform, even Ubisoft shills here every single shitty release of theirs and retards fall for it

>lootboxes
>honest
lol

>herself

His game is not even out. It doesn't even have a release date.

Chink Store is ass but i find it entertaining watching pc fags argue about which corporate cock to suck, they really believe Gabe gives a fuck about them

It's not exactly original but it doesn't need to be, it's a popular genre and the game looks fine. It's no worse than all the AAA open world shooters anyway. At least they called it rogue-lite instead of roguelike.

Also I don't know much about the game but the idea of a roguelite platformer that ACTUALLY feels like a metroidvania and has fun exploration sounds pretty cool. But I doubt the game actually accomplishes that

If it's your first game and you're a literally who, then why do you feel entitled to have big boy exposure?

Not enough users engages with Steam Greenlight, that was the problem. Valve should have given some incentive to users who used it, like maybe every 500 votes you get 10% off a game or something.

OH NOOOO THINK OF THE POOR CHINKS TRYING TO STEAL YOUR DATA!

Attached: 1568429954321_5.png (1914x4402, 1.65M)

Why do you think you deserve that kind of exposure for your shitty asset flip?
You're a lazy piece of shit, too stupid to even promote your own work. You don't deserve success.

The two concepts are polar opposites, metroidvania's put good level design first and foremost and you just can't have that with procedural generation. Indie retards need to stop pretending it's possible to combine them for max hipster points.

So how do those games that get highly wishlisted get that way?

i had several iris voices for the entire game and could never figure out how to even change it. i don't think the game ever tells you how to use them. it should be as simple as pressing it in your inventory but for whatever reason it's not that.

Risk of Rain, Golf Story, A Hat in Time, shovel knight, iconoclasts, guacaMEME, celeste, slay the spire, night in the woods, nex machina, baba is you (not bad but it's a literal flash-tier game come the fuck on it even has flash games portal versions all over the place).
And I haven't played half the list so that's a really bad record you already have there.

All the creative indie games like Dorf Fortress, Factario, KSP, Minecraft, Rim World, FTL, Oxygen Not Included, SS13, and SCP succeed though. It is Unity survival sim #1273, pixel platformer #985, spooky walking game #777, and half finished tycoon game #112 that flop

Unironicly this, most disturbing game of the past few years. Plus the follow up game is back in development.

>indie trannies literally lose to meme games

Attached: Untitled.png (757x348, 108K)

>comparing games with a shitload of advertising behind them to a random unheard of game that didn't have any advertisement at all other than showing up on Steam's newest releases feed
Gee I wonder why I was comparing them in the first place?

Are you pretending to be retarded or what?

Attached: ss (2019-09-16 at 01.37.29).png (240x204, 4K)

I hope you're happy you bigots that good and creative little developers are being crushed by souless AAA corporations. This game for example deserve more attention

youtu.be/Fhy9Rd9KNdc

youtu.be/JgVS0f4l-HU

i don't even browse steam anymore because it's so full of shit, maybe that's the drop they notice

You pay Steam 30% because everyone uses Steam therefore you have literally the entire PC audience available to you by selling on it. Fucking retards.

Attached: 1528677869285.png (1920x1080, 406K)

Do people still fall for this?

EGS isn't trying to access DLLs in Fiddler directly. Fiddler adds its installation folder to your %PATH% variable on-installation (so you could run it by just typing "fiddler"). When you load a DLL by-name and not by-path (which seems to be the case since it looks like an import table entry, which are only by-name), Windows goes through all the folders in your %PATH% looking for the file you named. Fiddler was one of those folders.

As someone else said, "tracking.js" looks like some analytics library like almost everyone uses. The embedded store itself is probably a web frame that uses analytics because their web development department (like all of them) wanted to.

Reading about your root certs, IE COM classes, IE cookie folders, and other IE-related things are all part of WinHTTP. (and ironically why you can even MITM it with Fiddler, since if it used some standalone HTTP library like libcurl it wouldn't accept your new root CA) That happens automatically when you create a session or connection and isn't Epic's doing, nor is it malicious.

The hardware survey bit is a little privacy-invasive but it's probably the same hardware spec gathering that AAA game devs already do without asking you (it's in the EULA), Steam is more of an outlier here.

EGS talking to itself is just standard IPC practice: some apps use localhost sockets (a common Linux practice), some apps uses pipes, etc.

A drop in the bucket? Epic is literally Steams only real competition.

>generic pixelart rpg
WOW never seen that before. GROUNDBREAKING. indies are really pushing the boundaries of modern gaming.
why would i play skyrim when i could play this epic pixel rpg? i must be too dumb for the superior intellect of the indie.

devs need to learn to stay off twitter, there's nothing worse than exposing the man behind the curtain. I don't want to find out that the dev behind I game I like is a giant whiny faggot, that'll sour my view of the game.

>they bite the hand that feeds
How to spot a reddittor 101

>metroidvania's put good level design first and foremost
Not really, regular platformers do that. Metroidvanias are about exploration and non-linearity. You can in theory do that with procedural generation, you just need to make sure that every area doesn't feel the same and you have actual landmarks and interesting things that the player will remember. Ideally it has lots of moving parts that can be combined so that the amount of combinations is exponentially higher than the amount of parts. I think there's a term for that kind of design but I forgot what it was

if you like a game there's probably no whiney faggot behind it, otherwise it wouldn't be a good game

Agree on all except indie.

NOOOOOOOO!!! STOP ADVERTISING THE MOST POPULAR PRODUCTS!!! W-WHAT ABOUT ME?!?

Attached: 1561567115672.jpg (785x731, 101K)

Kenney's stuff is pretty good but limited. I prefer quaternius's assets.

It's always indie devs crying about Steam, as if I'd buy their trash just because I know about it. If their games were worth playing then it would sell.

I've bought 3 games recently. Greedfall, Destiny 2 and Underrail. The first two are the 1st and 2nd on top sellers but the best game isn't even up there. It got discovered regardless. Not by me, though. I only know about it because of Yea Forums.

How come Sebastion games could hire an actual, competent artist but these other indie game devs can't?

Attached: ss_01559b6e41018243e6ada58adc1d8c4deb1e7f25.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 300K)

Yes you are and you're probably also a dumb narrow minded trumpanzee

>ScourgeBringer
literally who?? Waawaaah this nobody piece of shit game isnt getting wishlisted!!!

So? If you really count on an algorithm to do 100% of the work to get your game out there you might as well play the lottery, invest time and possibly money on a decent trailer, spam the fuck out of websites with ur shit game, possibly even get in touch with smaller publishers, even donate to streamers and shit asking to play your game while not mentioning it's yours, but NEVER count on something just "popping up randomly" on a store front, you're legitimately retarded if this is your plan to get that 1 big hit

Oh shut up. If you're game is good, it'll sell like RoR. If it doesn't sell, you need to generally imprlve yourself and try again.

It's virtually impossible to find a competent artist that won't fuck you over hard. They probably knew each other in person or had someone introduce them in person.

I bet he's bitching about decreasing Wishlisting because it's a metric developers use to haggle for a bigger payoff from Tim. It was pretty obvious Epic Games was using user wishlists to snipe "popular" upcoming games.

10 % wishlist = day one sales

how do I access this? Do I need beta client?

nice, he truly is retarded then

Nigger, blashphemous, greedfall, rain world in particular, and remnant were all shilled by the devs here with the same exact threads and patterns. Only difference is Yea Forums eats it up because they're hipsters who think any game that's not AAA is good.

>Imagine unironically defending the chinks, the most disgusting bugmens fucking every customers as soon as they can because it's part of their "culture"

Fuck off you dog eating faggot

inflexwetrust.com/2016/01/31/video-eww-chinese-woman-finds-a-birds-nest-and-eats-the-baby-birds/

if those fags focused on making a decent game instead of relying on steam to be their marketing team they might have had the big break they were hoping for

Ive tried when my gme interest has run dry, but before I had to max out the filter to avoid getting simulators, tower defense, anime games and pixel arcade platformers for my recommendations. Then I got maybe 1 reccomendation per queue worth looking at.

This thread encapsulates a lot of frustration we all feel browsing steam. The industry has become a get rich quick scheme and indie developers always turn out to be Ed Edd & Eddy with colored hair and gender problems trying to find the next sucker to fix their icebreaker addiction problem. Steam is flooded with boring fucking games now and freezing them out will only make things better for people who make genuinely good games.

youtu.be/OzQKECQgjW8

WHAT ABOUT ME?!

WHAT ABOUT ME?!

WHAT ABOUT ME?!

Attached: fishdicks.png (272x282, 187K)

just release a good game lol

Söi-gargling commie devs:
>It's our right to ban gamers for saying mean things and hurting our fefees online!

The same söi-eating insect:
>WHAAAAH, WHY CAN'T I THROW DEATH THREATS TO GABE, THE VERY MAN OWNING THE PLATFORM I'M USING TO SELL MY GAME IT'S ANOTHER SHOAH!!!

Attached: 1568445255470.png (450x450, 461K)

What percentage of indie games do you think are even worth buying?

that's not a bad algorithm, that's hilariously bad SEO.

this isnt a thing

Just make a good game, i made one, its easy bro.

Attached: Chad.png (333x423, 357K)

the ones that big publishers eventually pick up.

Imagine being proven wrong, and having to resort to that. Also, I am going to assume you are vegan? This is as bad as any slaughterhouse.